IGNORED

Learn some Thai curse words for awareness use good judgement

luvtomuff

Today I found some Thai curse words collectively called "Kum Dah". This is a style of cursing meant for self defense and for identifying potential threats. Bryan, I pciked this up off a site but I think it had value for learing when the girls are saying things badly about you or other Thais. I will add some more to the thread I found. I am hoping the translations are correct. However, to all I would be really careful using these. I am including them to be aware of what you hear.

First Lesson: Cursing parents.

Parents are like divine beings to Thais and often when Thais curse at each other they will actually be insulting each other's parents. Here are some common attacks: Substitute "Pho" with "Mae" to change from dad to mum. It's not okay to mention both as Thais will just laugh at you.

"Pho mueng tai lhor?" - is your father dead?

"Pho mueng" - your father. A common exclamation used to say it's not me but it's your father. For example, if they say. "You're fat", and you say "Pho Mueng".

"Yet pho" - screw your father. You know what it's for.

warning: those are extremely harsh words, and if you choose to use those words- prepare for a real physical fight.

Second Lesson: Compare them to animals.

"You're like a puppy" is okay to say in English but not in Thai. Thais don't like to be compared to animals and it's one of the harshest insults in Thai language. Here's how they see animals in Thai culture.

"Kwai" = buffallo = dumb, retarded

"Mah" = dog = Inhuman, barbaric, immoral

"Sut" = animal = same as above

"Hear" = komodo dragon = ultimate of animal insults = devil, inhuman.

Use the above with "Ai" = "you are".

warning: "Ai" is a bad word in itself and should not be used at all if you're not looking for a fight.

For example:

Them: "Ai farang!"

You:"Ai Hear!"

I'll see you next time for more curse words. LOL.

Looking forward to spending time with friends again and missing Thailand

Now to the second edition of Thai curse words, Bryan we may want to check these closely.

Not sure if this is wise - but be very careful! Learn to speak good Thai first vefore using these.

'Jai Sat' is probably the worst - NEVER use it, unless you understand what it means.

'yaet mang' fuck you

'yaet mae' motherfucker

'on kuay' suck cock

'chong mang' I don't give a fuck

'look garee' son of a whore

'na hee' cunt-face

'hua kuay' dickhead

'hee men' smelly cunt - often hear kids saying 'see bear' 'hen mee' play on words.

'baan paw mung' bullshit

'chak wow' wank(male)

'top ped' wank (female)

'koon hiat' kind of lizard(vulgar)

'na dtua mia' pussy(woose)

ai na dat' clitface(very vulgar)

I better not read all that i could end up in trouble :GrinNod1:

The thread is meant for awareness please use good judgement. It is the responsiblity of the user.

A third group or words to add

Thai Swearing English Translation

Yet mae Motherfucker

Yet mang Fuck you

Kha-too-eh Ladyboy

Kwai mah Dog's dick

Khon tingtong Insane people

Farang ba Stupid foreigner

Yet Fuck

Kuay Cock

Ai sat Twat

Kwai Buffalo

Hoop baak Shut up

Orn kuay Suck cock

I hayer Son of a bitch

Gengri Whore

Farang keenohk Birdshit foreigner

Chong mang I don't give a fuck

Mung Highly derogative form of 'you'

Goo Highly arrogant form of 'me'

Ga-ree Whore, Slut

Loog-Ga-Ree Son of the bitch

Por Mung Tai Wish your father dead

Mae-Mung-Tai Wish your mother dead

Yed Por Fuck your father

Sudd-Na-Rok Damned Devil

Tood-Muek Asshole

Gook Kuay Damned Penis

Na-Hee Cuntface

Ai Na Dad Clit face (Very vulgar)

Dollair Bullshitter

Ra Yum Shitpanish

Hee mah Dog pussy

Gratoey Homosexual

Yet ped Duck fucker

Hee Pussy

Baan poh mung Bullshit (lit. your father's house)

Naa maw Flirt (vulgar)

Laew Evil (vulgar)

Baa Crazy (vulgar)

Chuk wow (male) Masturbate (lit. fly kite)

Tob bed (female) Masturbate (lit. fishing)

Hee mae mang Fuck your mother

Kun Heeat A lizard that eats garbage (quite vulgar!)

Mai chawp khun, dag ling I don't like you, monkey arse.

Som nam nah! In your face!

Nah peeh Ghost face

Hua kuai Dickhead

Heeh men Smelly pussy

Mae mung Your mom

The thread is meant for awareness please use good judgement. It is the responsiblity of the user.

I think that these are the wisest words in the thread. Hate to be the smart arse but it's fair to warn people first, Thais take swearing and insults a lot more seriously than us westerners, especially when coming from foriegn "visitors".

Make sure that you have enough spare cash to pay for your hospital bills before using these words in public.

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

Great thread. I really really hope people head the advice on this thread and don't use these words. I've been trying to find something like this for some time. Would I be right in thinking that there is quite a lot of Esaan dialect in these words????????

Edited by Goldfishpie

Today I found some Thai curse words collectively called "Kum Dah". This is a style of cursing meant for self defense and for identifying potential threats. Bryan, I pciked this up off a site but I think it had value for learing when the girls are saying things badly about you or other Thais. I will add some more to the thread I found. I am hoping the translations are correct. However, to all I would be really careful using these. I am including them to be aware of what you hear.

First Lesson: Cursing parents.

Parents are like divine beings to Thais and often when Thais curse at each other they will actually be insulting each other's parents. Here are some common attacks: Substitute "Pho" with "Mae" to change from dad to mum. It's not okay to mention both as Thais will just laugh at you.

"Pho mueng tai lhor?" - is your father dead?

"Pho mueng" - your father. A common exclamation used to say it's not me but it's your father. For example, if they say. "You're fat", and you say "Pho Mueng".

"Yet pho" - screw your father. You know what it's for.

warning: those are extremely harsh words, and if you choose to use those words- prepare for a real physical fight.

Second Lesson: Compare them to animals.

"You're like a puppy" is okay to say in English but not in Thai. Thais don't like to be compared to animals and it's one of the harshest insults in Thai language. Here's how they see animals in Thai culture.

"Kwai" = buffallo = dumb, retarded

"Mah" = dog = Inhuman, barbaric, immoral

"Sut" = animal = same as above

"Hear" = komodo dragon = ultimate of animal insults = devil, inhuman.

Use the above with "Ai" = "you are".

warning: "Ai" is a bad word in itself and should not be used at all if you're not looking for a fight.

For example:

Them: "Ai farang!"

You:"Ai Hear!"

I'll see you next time for more curse words. LOL.

A couple of small points -

You only say ai to a male, to a female it's ee.

Hear is monitor lizard, komodo dragons are not found in Thailand, only Indonesia.

Agree about the awareness factor. Ive said a couple of these words whilst mucking around with wifey and she almost knocked me the fuck out, she said some of these words (as harmless as they seem) are real bad words for thai people, yet she can call me a dickhead or motherfucker. Go figure.

I don't buy out the bar, I buy the nightspot.

Shit i think i will take a rain check on that collection of words .....i would be too scared to use them ....like i want to live just a little bit longer !!!!!!!!

Ha ha i was just on the phone to my thai lady and tried a couple of those words .......oh not happy lady ...she says NOT GOOD.........lol.

Ha ha i was just on the phone to my thai lady and tried a couple of those words .......oh not happy lady ...she says NOT GOOD.........lol.

Most Thai people will refuse to even teach you these words and phrases. Perhaps they know something that we might not.

You do hear Thais use them amongst friends but not very often. I've heard farangs say them to Thais who they are drinking with and it has got a laugh. The thing is though that they will bore of it very quickly even if they are in the mood to indulge you and decide not to take it personally.

Better make sure that your medical insurance covers emergency dental repair work and payments to Thai police officers before you get drunk and let that Motor Cycle taxi driver know what you really think.

Cursing in another language is a sure way to make yourself unpopular. Please dont even think about doing it unless you have lived in the country for a long time and know what you are saying and the reactions it will garner.

I have lived in Japan for 13 years and almost never curse in Japanese. Not even jokingly.

English speakers use expletives for emphasis---that movie was fucking great. That movie fucking sucked. You are a fucking great friend. You sister is fucking hot. that place is shit. That song is the shit! He knows fuck all about farming. I fucking love you. I fucking hate you. etc...

Whenever I hear a Japanese use these types of expression I just cringe. They just dont have any idea of what they are saying. They will even joke a FUCK YOU! hahahahaha without any knowledge of their words.

The posted expletives in Thai are insults. Not words of emphasis. Why would you ever say such things to anyone?

Knowledge of such expressions may be "useful" if you hear some one say such things--you may be able to understand that they are insulting you--but will you really be sure?

I walk into places in Japan and as soon I am seen by people they start talking about English and gaijin, and the like. But as with anyone their conversations are about them and their experiences more than they are about me in particular. I might hear them say "stupid forefinger," or some other insult but upon closer listening they are talking about TV programs they saw or something their friend said to them. Rarely if ever is it directed toward me.

I would be an idiot to assume any rough language was directed at me. And to confront such language without knowing the nuances is a sure way to get into a situation you dont want.

If someone wants to insult you--chances are they will definitely let you know.

Sorry to ramble--but this topic is in an area of my expertise--language acquisition---so i feel compelled to comment.

cheers

bolly

What... service... may I do you? Hmmm? You know I demand payment.--- I brought payment. Look! BAM!! An undead monkey! Top that!

2A2A2C5401C889635E9B5481680DBAF6.png

babydollsaddict.gif

One other point---cursing in general, and slang in specific, signifies membership to a group. If you are not in that group, your use of curses and slang is always met with derision.

bolly

What... service... may I do you? Hmmm? You know I demand payment.--- I brought payment. Look! BAM!! An undead monkey! Top that!

2A2A2C5401C889635E9B5481680DBAF6.png

babydollsaddict.gif

All good points, this is meant for awareness and not to use in a bar but to be aware of the things around you.

Edited by Luvtomuff

I would STRONGLY advise anybody but a proficient speaker to refrain from using any sort of profanity! There are a few reasons for this, some of which have already been alluded to, such as people won't know how to interpret your facial expressions and tone of voice in order to figure out if your intent is humor or actual insult.

In my experience, Thais and especially honest Thais (not the kind you find in bars) are VERY quick to object to even what we might think are relatively innocuous words. My girlfriend has actually slapped me (gently but the meaning was put across) for using a common bargirl slang for "pussy"! If I want to express the word "bullshit", she will threaten to smack my mouth if I use the word ตอแหล "dtaaw(mid tone) laae (rising)" rather than the milder โกหก "goh(mid) hohk(low)".

Further, and more importantly, the words in these posts, even mine, have not been transliterated in a way where you are assured to say them correctly. For example, the other transliterations include no indication of the tones of the syllables. Change the tone and you change the word. Also, the Thai language has letters whose sounds have no analogs in English. Add these two things together and it means that you could actually end up saying something FAR WORSE than what you intend.

My advice: Until you know what you are doing with the Thai language, you should try to be as polite as possible. There are plenty of foreigners out there convincing the Thais that we are rude as it is.

Edited by Bruce Mangosteen

Working at getting laid in Pattaya is like working at drowning at the bottom of the ocean.  If you want to get the most out of Pattaya, take the chicks for granted, and enjoy life like you would on any other holiday.

My advice: Until you know what you are doing with the Thai language, you should try to be as polite as possible. There are plenty of foreigners out there convincing the Thais that we are rude as it is.

Great advice Bruce (for once you seem to talk sense :ThumbUp6: ) I use goh hohk often but thats because its a sort of banter which many of these expressions are NOT and they can get you into deep shit

I would STRONGLY advise anybody but a proficient speaker to refrain from using any sort of profanity! There are a few reasons for this, some of which have already been alluded to, such as people won't know how to interpret your facial expressions and tone of voice in order to figure out if your intent is humor or actual insult.

In my experience, Thais and especially honest Thais (not the kind you find in bars) are VERY quick to object to even what we might think are relatively innocuous words. My girlfriend has actually slapped me (gently but the meaning was put across) for using a common bargirl slang for "pussy"! If I want to express the word "bullshit", she will threaten to smack my mouth if I use the word ตอแหล "dtaaw(mid tone) laae (rising)" rather than the milder โกหก "goh(mid) hohk(low)".

Further, and more importantly, the words in these posts, even mine, have not been transliterated in a way where you are assured to say them correctly. For example, the other transliterations include no indication of the tones of the syllables. Change the tone and you change the word. Also, the Thai language has letters whose sounds have no analogs in English. Add these two things together and it means that you could actually end up saying something FAR WORSE than what you intend.

Great advice, but nothing changes as regards to being polite even after you become good at Thai. I know what you are refering too. One of the most common insults (the Monitor Lizard one) can actually be a compliment if you use a wrong tone. It is a word that Thai Chinese use to call somebody "Boss". But either way, if you meant it as an insult they would know even if you didn't say it correctly.

IMO there is something just wrong with the whole idea of learning Thai insults. Why would you want to learn? I'm not trying to go all "Kung Fu" on you. The Thais give us an unfair advantage when it comes to respect, basically just because we are foriegners we are treated with a reverance in their country we have not yet earned. Why not try to be worthy of that advantage? They view insults such as these, especially coming from foriegners as a pretty low form of self expression, best kept for drunks and low lifes.

I'm not attacking the OP. all that he wrote is more or less acurate. You've read it,now why not keep it to yourselves?

Perhaps, I can pull the thread so we do not have to worry about someone doing the wrong thing. Just though it was interesting to be aware of

Perhaps, I can pull the thread so we do not have to worry about someone doing the wrong thing. Just though it was interesting to be aware of

Why do that? It is interesting, sometimes it's even funny. I mean why should calling somebody a Monitor Lizard be such an insult lol? You're always better off knowing something than being ignorant. it's only what you do with knowledge that can make it right or wrong. I think that a few of us self righteous posters have made our point and I'm personally happy with your post being here. I'm sure it will remain much looked at.