Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Beefeater / American opinions

UncleSugar

This question is more addressed to Americans who have eaten steaks from

a wide variety of places in the US. I've never had steaks outside of the US or

Thailand so I cannot directly compare to other countries.

We decided to try the Beefeater on this trip. Recommendations from both this board

and many on the ground first hand ones as well.

Some of the sides were good. The meat was cooked and arrived as ordered with

perfection. However; to say I was shocked as to the sub-quality of the meat is an

understatement. Mind you I was not looking for USDA Prime. Just a good steak.

Are we alone in this opinion?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No

A year ago was better

It was a long hard off season and the quality slipped throughout

Sorry, but you can not get American quality steak at a reasonable price in Pattaya. For instance, the $15.99 filet at Outback Steakhouse in the U.S. costs over $50 in Bangkok. Enjoy the thai food which is a delicious bargain here, then have your steak when you return to the states. 

The wife and I were very happy for 20 years, then we met.

What's annoying is the expensive product is often promoted as Australian (as opposed to the cheaper local product) and that gives our steak a bad name when you get a substandard steak in Pattaya. Meat and Livestock Australia has an excellent grading system and we produce some top grade product, which can be found in the better restaurants and butcher shops at home and overseas, but that doesn't mean the Australian steak in Pattaya is it! I seriously doubt it ever would be at the price they charge.

What's annoying is the expensive product is often promoted as Australian (as opposed to the cheaper local product) and that gives our steak a bad name when you get a substandard steak in Pattaya. Meat and Livestock Australia has an excellent grading system and we produce some top grade product, which can be found in the better restaurants and butcher shops at home and overseas, but that doesn't mean the Australian steak in Pattaya is it! I seriously doubt it ever would be at the price they charge.

I lived in Singapore for awhile, and they import quite a bit of beef from Australia. I found it quite good, and I am from western US so I'm kind of used to good beef. However, I ordered an "Australian" ribeye once in Pattaya. I think I would have more enjoyment just chewing on my shoe. Now, either I was very unlucky, or that cow had seen as much of Austraila as I have, and I've never been there. It wasn't at Beefeaters so maybe a little off topic.

It's the one you don't hear that gets you, and the one you don't see coming that traps you.

:WinkGrin1:

I ate at Beefeaters about 6 months ago and thought it was very good. Probably a step up on Big Horn

This question is more addressed to Americans who have eaten steaks from

a wide variety of places in the US. I've never had steaks outside of the US or

Thailand so I cannot directly compare to other countries.

We decided to try the Beefeater on this trip. Recommendations from both this board

and many on the ground first hand ones as well.

Some of the sides were good. The meat was cooked and arrived as ordered with

perfection. However; to say I was shocked as to the sub-quality of the meat is an

understatement. Mind you I was not looking for USDA Prime. Just a good steak.

Are we alone in this opinion?

I ate US Beef in Bangkok on Saturday night at "US Steakhouse" on Sukhumvit Soi 16 ... its wasn't USA Prime Beef but if your interested check it out, a bit cheaper then most US imported steak options in Bangkok and an American owner (1000 Baht for 238g)

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-US-Steakhouse/291338447736210?fref=ts

At Steak & Co we use only chilled Black Angus Australian Beef, perhaps its more comparable to the better USA cuts of beef..from Thursday we will also have Wagyu Ribeye from Australia

have ate at Beefeater`s several times, the ribeye not so good, the filet, while not as good as U.S. is very tasty as are all the various sides and the chips and salsa they bring to you with your drink is outstanding.

Agreed US steak is the best in the world , used to eat steak at my Uncle back garden in Los Angeles, char coal steak , that was in the seventies and the eighties . Still unbeatable to now. I likes Patricks at Soi Daina but not at that good as US steaks .

I love my steak and being Australian, it's easy to get top quality here at home....(costs an arm and a leg though!)

Also been to the US a couple of times and had many steaks there.

I wouldn't say that one country has better beef than the other.

Went to Beefeaters last year and it was good....no complaints.

However, went to Steak & Co this September just gone, and the steak I had there, which was Australian Angus, was just about the best steak I have ever had. It was absolutely superb in every way.

So forget Beefeaters. Steak & Co was way ahead for me.

Very expensive in Thailand.

Some good steaks can be had at around 800 baht, but the portion is small (200 grammish).

Regular size steak goes for 1500 baht.

I just do my own.

Makro sometimes has some very good beef cuts, around 400g for one (about 450 baht a Kg) and reasonably thick so it can be done rare with flipping 3 times each after one minute.

Thanks to all. I was hoping I was not too far off the mark. Will look into all

suggestions.

Sometimes you just need a good steak to go with the cold beer.

Haven't had a decent steak since Uncle Charlie's closed , Charlie's widow used to grill the T Bones over charcoal and serve with baked potato and corn on the cob.... all for about 400B ..... the good old days. I'm sure those were domestic steaks , beef or water buffalo they did taste good.

I am not ting tong...my mother had me tested.

Sorry, but you can not get American quality steak at a reasonable price in Pattaya. For instance, the $15.99 filet at Outback Steakhouse in the U.S. costs over $50 in Bangkok. Enjoy the thai food which is a delicious bargain here, then have your steak when you return to the states. 

My first trip to SE Asia I tried what was advertised as an Australian Ribeye at a nice restaurant in Hanoi...must have been water buffalo instead. That is the last and only time I have tried beef in SE Asia. I'm sure the quality is much better at the restaurants mentioned in this thread but I will stick with local dishes made with chicken, pork, or seafood. Also a steak weighs me down too much in the heat and I prefer smaller and lighter meals.

My first trip to SE Asia I tried what was advertised as an Australian Ribeye at a nice restaurant in Hanoi...must have been water buffalo instead. That is the last and only time I have tried beef in SE Asia. I'm sure the quality is much better at the restaurants mentioned in this thread but I will stick with local dishes made with chicken, pork, or seafood. Also a steak weighs me down too much in the heat and I prefer smaller and lighter meals.

You have not got much change of getting weighed down by the size of an imported steak in patts

You have not got much change of getting weighed down by the size of an imported steak in patts

haha I guess I am use to the super-size portions in "Muricah"

Beefeaters is my favorite restaurant in the middle of Pattaya.  Some better up Jomtien way but walking distance from home this is the best.

Having said that it isn't for the steaks.  Beef in Thailand is not as good as USA or Aussie beef.  Order the other stuff and have a great meal.  Eat steak when you get home.   :GoldenSmile1:

I've personally eaten steaks from all over the World and the best one's I've had here in Thailand are the Rib Room at the Landmark in Bangkok ( http://www.landmarkbangkok.com/rib-room ) and also the newer El Gaucho's in Bangkok http://elgaucho.asia/thailand/?page_id=2 ). These places are not cheap. 

In Pattaya, Beefeater's has been good most of the times I've eaten there. Other notables in Pattaya are Flare at the Hilton and Mantra on Beach road near Soi 1 but these are not cheap.

Tequila Reef does a good steak at a very good price. Worth a try. At 300 grams you are sure to leave full and it's around 400 baht. 

I completely agree, beef in Thailand is not as good as USA or Aussie beef but if you find the right source it can be quite good. 

Tequila Reef Cantina Bar and Restaurant
Established 2001
Soi 7 Pattaya Beach Road
Tel:(038) 414-035

Pattaya: Tequila Reef Pattaya Restaurant

tequilareef_banner_300.jpg

FACEBOOK - TWITTER - YOUTUBE

1_1_Philippines-Addicts-Logo-May-2012.jp

Join Philippines Addicts the World's largest Philippines Sex Travel and expat forum with over 62,000 members today! Be advanced immediately ONLY if you are advanced on Pattaya Addicts with over 150 posts. PM me on PIA!

I haven't found a better steak here in Thailand and certainly not pattaya than the Steak house in the JW Marriott in Bangkok Beefeater is very good and I like lone star as well here in pattaya

Sent from my GT-I9200 using Tapatalk

I have to keep reminding myself its a job :GoldenSmile1:
At Babydolls we are serious about fun

babydollsaddict.gif

The Marriott and Landmark are excellent in Bangkok but at a price. Beefeaters in Pattaya is substandard for steak as far as I am concerned. Steak & Co cannot be beaten at present for the quality of their imported meat and their price point, if success leads the way to increased prices within months of opening then they would in my opinion lose their main advantage at this time. There are one or two other establishments serving equally good imported steak with the benefit of easy parking and more comfortable setting.

I am a regular at Steak & Co and have taken many friends there who have become fans but that has been based on those two points, quality and value.  

The Marriott and Landmark are excellent in Bangkok but at a price. Beefeaters in Pattaya is substandard for steak as far as I am concerned. Steak & Co cannot be beaten at present for the quality of their imported meat and their price point, if success leads the way to increased prices within months of opening then they would in my opinion lose their main advantage at this time. There are one or two other establishments serving equally good imported steak with the benefit of easy parking and more comfortable setting.

I am a regular at Steak & Co and have taken many friends there who have become fans but that has been based on those two points, quality and value.

well we all like something different nature of the beast. I was extremely happy with the product at Beefeater and there price point. Not tried Steak and Co to review waiting for terry lee to take me there for lunch or Dinner :-) having been in the wholesale meat business for 35 years I look forward to giving them a try.

Sent from my GT-I9200 using Tapatalk

I have to keep reminding myself its a job :GoldenSmile1:
At Babydolls we are serious about fun

babydollsaddict.gif

Archived