IGNORED

What is the best US bank card for international travel?

SlowlyMan

I've been pimping the Schwab card on PA for 2 to 3 years now -- it's fan-freakin-tastic!

In June, I had no issues using a card with just the magnetic strip, but my new ATM card with the microchip came in before my trip last week.  Again, it was a breeze to use.

I assume your question is targeted solely to ATM cards and does not concern credit cards.  

With regard to credit cards, I again have been pimping a wide variety of travel reward cards for quite some time now, but the key is to find one with no foreign transaction fees.  That used to take a little bit of effort, but nearly every card I own now has it (the exception being some AMEX cards and some "no annual fee cards" that I just haven't bothered to cancel yet).  

Joeaf references one of the more popular ones, the Chase Sapphire Preferred.  Some hotel-based cards (Hilton, Marriott, IHG) could make sense, if you're staying in their property.  My Citi Hilton card, for example, not only has no foreign transaction fees, but also it got me a couple of free nights (after hitting minimum spend) and HHonors Gold status, so free wifi and breakfast everyday.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another option to consider would be the money market checking account from Fidelity. Very similar to Schwab, comes with an ATM card they refund all ATM fees. Have been using them for the past 6 years without any problems.

Fidelity may refund the atm fee but think they charges a % transaction fee?

I hope Schwab never gets rid of their card.

I used an ATM on Bangkok Bank Beach Rd and was charged 180 Bt transaction fee for using of my Presidential Bank ATM card but only 150 Bt tranaction fee for using Penfed CC using the pin.  I have no idea why the difference.

someone elses 555

she asked "do you lub me?" i replied "i lub fucking you!"

Fidelity may refund the atm fee but think they charges a % transaction fee?

I hope Schwab never gets rid of their card.

Never been charges a transaction fee with the Fidelity ATM either.  I think they mirror what Schwab offers...

If you really want a chip/pin BoA card, just call them up and request one. It should be free on most accounts. They haven't started rolling them out as standard yet in the US, but are soon going to. You can do the same for most major credit cards (Amex, Visa, MC, etc). However, of my last 4 trips in the last 2 years, I've never needed one. Mag strips work fine. Chip/pin is more of a European standard right now. That being said, Thailand is definitely just as far along or even further along with payment standards than we are in the US. I've seen Thai people use NFC contact-less payments with their phones at least 3 years ago now in 7-11's. Android phones just got that a couple years ago in the US and Apple phones just got that this year. That's not even to mention that it still hasn't really caught on here yet. I just used mine for the first time last weekend when I forgot my wallet at home and I already scanned all my food in a grocery store. Helped me avoid an embarrassing situation.   

Never been charges a transaction fee with the Fidelity ATM either.  I think they mirror what Schwab offers...

Fidelity charges a 1% foreign transaction fee according to the info on their website. Perhaps it gets figured into the exchange rate and doesn't show up as a separate charge. Also, from what I've read on various travel sites and forums, Fidelity doesn't charge the foreign transaction fee on ATM withdrawals, it only charges it on non-ATM (POS) transactions. So, as far as using a card for ATM access is concerned, the Schwab High Yield Investor Checking and Fidelity Cash Management Account are the same. When used as a debit card for a purchase, Fidelity has a 1% foreign transaction fee and Schwab doesn't. Two good companies. I'm a happy customer at both.

Thanks for clearing that up! I never use my ATM card to make purchases, just to get cash.

Use capital one credit card for any purchases.

I'm another happy Schwab debit card user. I use the card only for cash.Think I will contact them and ask about a card with a chip just in case.

I make some purchases in Thailand on my United MileagePlus card (Chase). No foreign transaction fee and I get the miles. But I only use my credit card at places like Villa Market, Big C and Friendship Supermarket. I don't like to use my credit cards a lot in Thailand.  

And yes you do need more than one card. A few trips ago, three days into the trip, my United card had to be canceled because of authorised charges. A data breach in the US for a purchase about a week or so before I left caused the problem.

I have another credit card with no foreign transaction fee I used for cash one trip back when AEON ATMs were still free. I got online and paided off the balance on the cards ASAP. I ended up with only about US$2.50 in interest charges after withdrawals adding up to about US$4500.    

I love Schwab too. I have used it to make purchases too.. Keep in mind even though it is a debit card, you need to tell them it is a credit card.

Tell who? Best to use a debit card for cash only imo. Use a credit card for hotels and other.

At the atm i think you chose "current". No checking account option that i remember.

Tell who? 

In the US it's common to be asked "Debit or credit (card)?" at checkout or be prompted for this choice if using self-serve. As mentioned above, choosing "credit" is sometimes the preferred method or the only way the transaction will work, even though the card is a debit. 

And yes you do need more than one card. A few trips ago, three days into the trip, my United card had to be canceled because of authorised charges. A data breach in the US for a purchase about a week or so before I left caused the problem.

I have another credit card with no foreign transaction fee I used for cash one trip back when AEON ATMs were still free. I got online and paided off the balance on the cards ASAP. I ended up with only about US$2.50 in interest charges after withdrawals adding up to about US$4500.    

Good point, Jay!

I always take a couple of credit cards and even an ATM card that I intend NEVER to use, just in case.  They stay locked in my safe the entire trip, but act as a nice insurance policy in case I lose or have issues with my Schwab card or whatever my travel card for that trip may be.  

On a trip a while back, I took 3 credit cards, because each was linked to a hotel where I was staying -- Hyatt card for charges at Grand Hyatt in Hong Kong; IHG card for charges at Holiday Inn in Macau and Hilton card for charges at Hilton in Pattaya.  All were no foreign transaction fee cards.

Another tip/suggestion: many cards now say there is no reason to give them a "travel advisory" (i.e., call and tell them where you're going to be and when), but I do it any way.  Again, better safe than sorry.

in july schwab started issueing the new micro-chip cards they just told me, so if your card was issued before july like mine was they'll send you a new one if you just shoot them a call. takes about a week for it to arrive she said so will see, but having the current technology seems like a no brainer imo... can't lose with a schwab card if you are able to get one were you are at. not sure what all countries they do business in

• 2 weeks later...

Another happy Schwab user here. No currency conversion fees and reimbursement of foreign AMT charges (150-180 baht each withdrawal). I too only use it for cash because it is connected to a savings account and I want to limit access by the bad guys.

Every hole a goal.

Condoms kill boners. Save the boners.

Stop the Vagilantes.

BTW, in this month's Money magazine, there is an article on best banks, etc. -- they claim the best account for travelers is the Schwab High Yield checking for the reasons listed above.

I use B of A with chip for ATM and use AMEX with no foreign transaction fees for the hotels. Only use the ATM's inside a bank or connected to the bank outside. Cover the keypad when entering your PIN and swipe all the numbers on the keypad with your hand after you complete your transaction.

I use B of A with chip for ATM and use AMEX with no foreign transaction fees for the hotels. Only use the ATM's inside a bank or connected to the bank outside. Cover the keypad when entering your PIN and swipe all the numbers on the keypad with your hand after you complete your transaction.

Speaking of banks.. Where are they? I see ATMs outside everywhere, but could not find an actual bank. I have been up and down Second Road from Walking Street all the way to Central Pattaya!

Speaking of banks.. Where are they? I see ATMs outside everywhere, but could not find an actual bank. I have been up and down Second Road from Walking Street all the way to Central Pattaya!

There is a small Krungsi Bank with a couple of staff and a Krungsi ATM outside located at the Avenue shopping center near the Villa Supermarket front entrance.  After making the max ATM withdrawal (30k), I go inside and get several 1000 baht notes changed into smaller bills.

yep you cant do better then the schwab account... refund all atm fees, they give you the visa usa exchange rate on your cash withdrawals which is usually only a penny or two less then say google currency converter and if you check out most exchange places in town are 5 to 10 cent less for exchanges with 100 dollar bill's.. the only downside is they'll will only give you one card so don't lose it in a bank atm machine which from other posts on here can happen in Los and be a problem to get back the card; ie use attached atm machines to actual banks or inside a branch...

this is the one I got upon recommendation from a fellow bm.

very happy with it!

took me ten minutes to set up, and a week to get the card in the mail...

I believe that there are bank branches inside Royal Garden Plaza and inside Central Festival.

Depends on where you are from. I am from U.S and used to use AMEX at exchange booths. Just like making a purchase they would charge it to the card, no fx fees and i found those to be the best exchange rates as well

• 3 months later...

^ You can use AMEX for cash and it is treated like a purchase? Surely it is a cash advance?

Archived