Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

What is the best US bank card for international travel?

SlowlyMan

I read a post recently about a good choice for an ATM card. Can't seem to locate the post again.

What have you guys found to be a good card for international use.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I prefer Bank of America I have been here a couple years and have had no problems. Whoever you use make sure you inform them you are traveling to Thailand. This will prevent any issues.

Posted Image

If you're ex-US military, I highly recommend opening an USAA account with a debit card.  One of the best features IMO is that they refund ATM fees.

If you're not ex military, I think a lot of the Internet banks offer the same feature (for example, Capital One).  You might try Googling "Internet banks" and seeing which ones offer the features that best fit your needs.

Good luck!

If you want a better experience with your "date"... read, learn, live the following:

https://forum.pattaya-addicts.com/topic/22263-vetting-bar-girls-and-how-to-pass-their-own-vett

According to USAA website, they refund up to $15 per month of ATM fees but charge 1% foreign transaction fee.

Also look for a US Card that has microchip technology,  many US cards do not, and without there is a strong chance of not being able to process a cash advance in Thailand.

My CitiCard has it.....   Charles Schwab  cards also refunds ATM fees and no foreign transaction fees!

HK

[Everyone loves a happy ending!

I prefer Bank of America I have been here a couple years and have had no problems. Whoever you use make sure you inform them you are traveling to Thailand. This will prevent any issues.

If you are referring to the Bank of America ATM card linked to your checking account, that card positively SUCKS! On top of the withdrawal fee, they charge you 3% of the amount for "foreign currency conversion" which is a total scam.

Capital One refunds fees on atms.

yep you cant do better then the schwab account... refund all atm fees, they give you the visa usa exchange rate on your cash withdrawals which is usually only a penny or two less then say google currency converter and if you check out most exchange places in town are 5 to 10 cent less for exchanges with 100 dollar bill's.. the only downside is they'll will only give you one card so don't lose it in a bank atm machine which from other posts on here can happen in Los and be a problem to get back the card; ie use attached atm machines to actual banks or inside a branch...

yep you cant do better then the schwab account... refund all atm fees, they give you the visa usa exchange rate on your cash withdrawals which is usually only a penny or two less then say google currency converter and if you check out most exchange places in town are 5 to 10 cent less for exchanges with 100 dollar bill's.. the only downside is they'll will only give you one card so don't lose it in a bank atm machine which from other posts on here can happen in Los and be a problem to get back the card; ie use attached atm machines to actual banks or inside a branch...

also, Schwab does not require you to maintain a minimum account balance nor are there any annual fees for the card

Although I have not done this, Penfed credit card may be equal to Schwab if (1) used OTC for cash withdrawal and (2) a negative balance is maintained in the CC account to avoid daily interest charges.  I will try this next week to see if this will work.  Penfed CC would be a good back up to Schwab.

I have a Schwab account.  Linked to my normal bank account so I can transfer funds quickly.  Worked great on my trip, all fees returned...

ALL fees? Because last time I spoke to someone at Schwab, they mentioned something about there being a cap on how many transactions they refund.

ALL fees? Because last time I spoke to someone at Schwab, they mentioned something about there being a cap on how many transactions they refund.

It depends on the type of account.  For some accounts, there is a limit.  There is not limit on the ones that I have: High Yield Investor Checking and Schwab Bank Visa  Platinum Debit Card

Also look for a US Card that has microchip technology,  many US cards do not, and without there is a strong chance of not being able to process a cash advance in Thailand.

My CitiCard has it.....   Charles Schwab  cards also refunds ATM fees and no foreign transaction fees!

HK

Wow.... my firsts trip is coming up in a few days I didn't think of this.  Most US cards don't yet have microchip technology, including penfed.  Is the microchip an absolute must for ATM cash withdrawal in LOS?  Anyone had any problems getting cash with the  mag strip cards.

Wow.... my firsts trip is coming up in a few days I didn't think of this.  Most US cards don't yet have microchip technology, including penfed.  Is the microchip an absolute must for ATM cash withdrawal in LOS?  Anyone had any problems getting cash with the  mag strip cards.

Just got Schwab Bank Visa Platinum Debit Card w/o microchip for my 2014 Thailand trip because AMX closed their 2 travel offices in DC area where I previously got free $500 denomination travelers checks.  Used ATMs w/180 baht fee at UOB in Phuket and Krungsi in Pattaya and very satisfied.  I like the Krungsi ATM because they permit 30,000 baht withdrawal whereas UOB only permitted 20,000 baht withdrawal.  Schwab refunded ATM fees on a monthly basis, and I have PenFed ATM debit card as my backup just in case of problems w/Schwab card, but so far it is working flawlessly w/mag strip.

I used my Chase Sapphire CC at two Pattaya hotels, and I was surprised that both hotels used CC machines w/microchip technology.  In the USA, I have found only WalMart using microchip technology CC machines.

...  Most US cards don't yet have microchip technology, including penfed....

My Penfed card has microchip technology.  I got it just recently.

Don't worry about it, Never had a problem so far.  Thailand isn't exactly on the bleeding edge of technology.  Although on this issue, the US is behind just about everybody.

That being said, never depend on one source of funds.  Bring a Master Card & Visa, TC's & Cash. Nothing would be worse then being in Patts without money.

Another option to consider would be the money market checking account from Fidelity.  Very similar to Schwab, comes with an ATM card they refund all ATM fees.  Have been using them for the past 6 years without any problems.

I don't like to carry a large amount of cash and I don't like using my atm or credit cards unless I have to, so I send myself money via Western Union before I leave and then pick it up once I'm in Thailand.  There are fees, but it's certainly less than taking a cash advance on a credit card.

I strongly suggest only using ATM machines inside or attached to a bank! If you have any problems there is always the option of walking inside and making an over the counter withdraw, however higher transaction fees may apply. ---Always notify your bank of your travel plans and dates!

Although I have not done this, Penfed credit card may be equal to Schwab if (1) used OTC for cash withdrawal and (2) a negative balance is maintained in the CC account to avoid daily interest charges.  I will try this next week to see if this will work.  Penfed CC would be a good back up to Schwab.

i went to a few banks but they refused to do OTC withdraw without fees comparable to ATM, so this option is out.

Archived