IGNORED

Fishing reports

bigbill340

Hi all,

Well I am under a week off of my trip and planning on doing a few venues during this trip. I will update this with my crude fishing tactics and results when I return, but one of the reasons for this thread is to hopefully get a few members current reports of fishing results.

Bill

• 3 weeks later...

I fished Betong twice last week and on the first visit I caught about three/four stripped cats and a rohu, but I gave up after darkness fell due to the beauty of the lake at night and the soft music playing!

The second time I had eight stripped and lost three,again fishing after dark(the prime time) was a second after enjoying the surroundings.

I also went to Pattaya fishing park about five days ago, I managed five meakong in two/three hours thanks to the guides. The tactics that they used were huge bait balls put three quarters plus across the lake.

Bill

No interested in fishing , my mates goes fishing in Dunmore East or Bonmahon or Ballymacaw co Waterford every week , they catch mackerels , Sea Bass , Trout . Sometimes , I was praying for my mates to come to my door only if they catch plenty. :) . Could understand why you loves fishing cos of quietness , fresh air , catching fishes etc . Pray Hail Marys all the time , and you will catch a fish. :)

Hi Bill many thanks for the update on your fishing exploits. Do you know of any lakes that are close to Pattaya that have Siamese carp up to 40 Kg Plus?image.jpg

There are rumors that betong has one or two big siamese carp in there, also a place called supin has a couple in, but it seems as though they are quite a rare event!

I must admit though the tactics used in Thailand are very crude! I have thought of giving it a go next time using more uk methods and trying to get the carp like that! From what I have read they do fall to European tactics better than Thai ones!

Bill

P.S

A good guide to the waters  http://www.pattayafishing.net/giant-fishing-park/

Many Thanks Bill for your detailed reply. Which was very much appreciated. It looks like I will need to go near Bangkok if I want to catch one details attached. Take care my friend. Bungsamran Fishing Bangkok in Thailand - Mekong giant Catfish & giant Siamese carp

many. Thanks Bill for your detailed reply. Which was very much appreciated. It looks like I will need to go near Bangkok if I want to catch one details attached. Take care my friend.

You would be much better going to Bungsamran or somewhere I would think! It has a bigger head of them and a little less hit and miss IMO.

Bill

You would be much better going to Bungsamran or somewhere I would think! It has a bigger head of them and a little less hit and miss.

Many thanks Bill greatly appreciated take care my friend.

Bill

• 3 months later...

Well during my last trip Myself, Mr Reo and Gogodog went for a days fishing at Giant lake in Pattaya.

It was a slow starter, but we all had a few fish with a mixture of species that you wont catch at the average Thai fishing pond! We had alligator gars,tiger catfish,red tail catfish,pacu,snakeheads and some I am sure I have forgotten!

It isn't a cheap day out at 2500 each(500 more if you bring a lady) but you do get lunch, transport to/from the park and some very attentive guides who were great when I got stabbed by one of the red tails! 555

Picture 946.jpg

Picture 953.jpg

Picture 963.jpg

Picture 965.jpg

Picture 973.jpg

Picture 986.jpg

Picture 990.jpg

Picture 996.jpg

The last picture is of some aripima fry!

Bill

Excellent post big bill, been following with great interest both yourself and Mr Reo TR very closely with reference to both of your fishing exploits.

What I have noticed Bill is that the fishing tackle found in Thai tackle shops is not up to the task of coping with with 200 pound Mekong and 100 pound Siamese carp plus 250 pound Arapima. You also have in some of these parks a lot of wooden structures (platforms) and will need a rod that has some back bone to it.

Looking at the tackle needed for big Mekong and Siamese carp I will need to invest in some Uptide rods Bill or a friend of mine does Tarpon rods and I have used these before Bill to catch wells catfish to over 140 pound. along with 80Ib braid and a Daiwa SS9000 reel. What are your thought Bill?

The one thing I would love to try as bait in the fishing parks is 22mm Halibut pellets (4 on a hair) plus marine halibut ground bait around the feeder. Have you ever tried pork luncheon meat or boilies as hook bait Bill in LOS. The other thing I thought of for bait is Lobworms Bill and take my LT TGF in the depths of the night with a torch and bucket on the many golf courses around 555555. The other bait I have used before for big wells catfish is medicinal leeches and are a great bait.

I would be very interested in your thoughts Bill?

Google jurassic mountain fishing resort ,chaps .Thats a place to fish . Its in cha am ..Im off there feb

Excellent post big bill, been following with great interest both yourself and Mr Reo TR very closely with reference to both of your fishing exploits.

What I have noticed Bill is that the fishing tackle found in Thai tackle shops is not up to the task of coping with with 200 pound Mekong and 100 pound Siamese carp plus 250 pound Arapima. You also have in some of these parks a lot of wooden structures (platforms) and will need a rod that has some back bone to it.

Looking at the tackle needed for big Mekong and Siamese carp I will need to invest in some Uptide rods Bill or a friend of mine does Tarpon rods and I have used these before Bill to catch wells catfish to over 140 pound. along with 80Ib braid and a Daiwa SS9000 reel. What are your thought Bill?

The one thing I would love to try as bait in the fishing parks is 22mm Halibut pellets (4 on a hair) plus marine halibut ground bait around the feeder. Have you ever tried pork luncheon meat or boilies as hook bait Bill in LOS. The other thing I thought of for bait is Lobworms Bill and take my LT TGF in the depths of the night with a torch and bucket on the many golf courses around 555555. The other bait I have used before for big wells catfish is medicinal leeches and are a great bait.

The wells are quite a different breed really, most of them will just scrape along the bottom and eat fairly much what it filters out of its mouth! I have had wells up to 120 in France and just over 60 in England. The Thai maekong seem to quite like the bread tactics, but I did have a swai on a lump of fish? so maybe a more meaty/fishy way would work?

I would love to be able to take my gear out there and have a proper play with baits and tactics and see what works well! All of the Thai methods seem very crudely done and I think a bit of refinement would yield great catches! I have often wondered if a heavy pellet approach would work out there the same as it does for the wells?? maybe the Thais dont use this way due to cost? I will have to take some large pellet over with me in May and see if they work? also slip in a bit of heavy coated braid so I can make good bottom rigs!

I wonder if you can get a sack of trout pellet out there?

I think the worm idea seems a winner from my way of thinking! the only trouble would be trying to keep the small fish away from them? I do have a feeling you would be plagued by a ton of foot long fish if you fished worm! Maybe I will make some 30mm boilies for next trip and also try them?

There is a lot of thinking to be done about improving the Thai methods, but the Thais have been doing it so well for years and I am sure they have it fairly well down by now. As an off the topic example, when I used to be a decent match angler I was in Holland with a few friends, we were sat on a river all struggling a bit for fish when a young lad came along with a 8 foot rod, 40lb line on his basic reel and a loaf of bread. He out fished us by ease within two hours he had more than all of us put together! Sometimes we overcomplicate what really is simple, also we ignore local expertise!

Bill

Google jurassic mountain fishing resort ,chaps .Thats a place to fish . Its in cha am ..Im off there feb

Many thanks for the information. Hope you will keep us updated with your catch, bait, tackle, cost etc along with some photographs.?Tight lines Legend35 and have a great trip.

I have had a look at that, also John wilsons place in Chumphon too, it is just so bloody expensive for what it is! I know it is catching fish of a lifetime! but still bloody a lot and time out of Pattaya!

I am currently looking at going carping in Portugal next October as I will only have one week left off of work and I can do that for half the price of a few days at Jurassic!

Bill

I wonder if you can get a sack of trout pellet out there?

Sometimes we overcomplicate what really is simple, also we ignore local expertise!

Bill

You raise some good points Bill, what we need to find out is what the fish farms feed the Mekong and Siamese carp on in their infant stages? Your last point about we over complicate things and ignore local expertise is highly relevant also.

You raise some good points Bill, what we need to find out is what the fish farms feed the Mekong and Siamese carp on in their infant stages? Your last point about we over complicate things and ignore local expertise is highly relevant also.

I will never forget how funny that kid was in Holland!

Three guy who were all in the top flight of angling, best part of 80k worth of gear between us, and all beaten by a lad with a set-up worth about a score and he only had bread!

It will always remind me that sometimes fishing is simple if you know how the fish like things!

I will try and ask them at Giant if I ever go again as they rear some of their own there and might know how the big farms do it!

Bill

It is expensive about £ 800 for 6 nites  5 days fishing , there also on facebook., john wilson and martin bowler there last week,no doubt the korda team will be out there soon , they got fish upto 200lb. ...ariapaoma, siamese carp, cats etc... but has you said fish of a lifetime .they do use a pellet approach , not sure if its on a hairig , they would defo have a mainline boilie lol.

im going to bangkok for 2 nites , then fishing , then on to pattaya ,  ..I have been fishing in pattaya many times only for cats using balls of bread, enjoy 

theres a good fish farm at ko samet 

Never understood the appeal of fishing parks except when it's to get intimate with a girl.

Short PE 6 and PE 8 rods are available here for as little as B1,200 but you may need to order it or go to Bangkok to get one. For reels your best choice is a Poseidon 300R or 400R or if you can afford one an Accurate, see http://www.parknumfishing.com/index.php?lay=show&ac=article&Id=539364860

manarak I dont go 10000 miles just to have sex , I always do things when in thailand , aswell has empty me plums ..there is so much more than drink ,sleep ,sex ..Thailand has some amazing sports to do  :GoldenSmile1:

Yes, no problem.

Would any of the parks with good maekong let you use trout pellet???

Bill

Would any of the parks with good maekong let you use trout pellet???

Bill

Most of the parks prefer you to use their bait, there are no signs at Pattaya fishing park prohibiting you using your bait. The Mekongs are generally easy to catch using low tech Thai techniques. It's the Siamese carp which are generally difficult to catch.

Archived