IGNORED

New Visa Rules Explained

Sick Water Buffalo

here is my situation I plan on coming for 2 months. on the 30th day I plan on going to ankor wat for 5 days. Then I want to come back and stay another 30. based on the first post I could just come there and get the 30 day visa leave by air and come back and get another 30 days.  or would it just be easier form to get a multiple entry tourist visa

Any advice is appreciated

Jim2k

I think if I was in your situation Jim I'd go for a double-entry tourist visa. I'm not too keen on this bit "Immigration staff at the borders have considerable discretion, and whether or not you will be granted a re-entry stamp depends on how well you can prove to them..." So while it appears OK for someone to come in without a visa and get 30 days, then exit to a neighboring country and re-enter a few days later, all it takes is for an immigration official to deem you a visa-runner and you'll either be refused back in, or expected to pay a fairly hefty bribe. If it was me I'd feel happier with a double tourist visa.

Women are made to be loved, not understood.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Sly Fox. I was worried about the same thing of not being allowed in. I will go for the double entry tourist visa

One other issue noticed was that my round trip ticket is for 64 days. Now if i have double entry tourist visa will they let me in or do i need to have the round trip ticket for trip to another country . I do plan on going to ankor wat but i want to buy the tickets while i,m in thailand

One other issue noticed was that my round trip ticket is for 64 days. Now if i have double entry tourist visa will they let me in or do i need to have the round trip ticket for trip to another country . I do plan on going to ankor wat but i want to buy the tickets while i,m in thailand

I honestly can't see any problem at all Jim, I've never been asked to show a ticket out in countless entries over 30+ years, nor have I ever heard of anyone been asked to show a ticket out when coming into LOS. And in the unlikely event you were asked you do have a ticket out.

If you're travel plans are really set you could always book your flights to Siem Reap now, rather than wait until you get here. The main carrier is Air Asia and you can book your flights with them now. In fact the sooner you book the more chance you have of getting a lower price ticket.

BTW Siem Reap is a very nice little town, one of my favorites in SE Asia, and of course the Angkor ruins are amazing. My favorite is Tha Phrom (AKA The Tomb Raider temple) you'll have fun in Siem Reap as well, the night market and pub street are fun and there are loads of great things to eat.

You could also think about cutting a bit off your 2 months in Thailand and see a bit more of Cambodia. Phnom Penh is well worth a few days too.

So I guess this means no more retirement visas. I was planning on coming for 5 months this winter, but the best option under the new rules would be "non-immigrant, multiple entry", which is good for a year, but would still be limited to a 90 day stay, then a trip out of the country for a couple of days before returning to LOS for the remainder of the trip. Otherwise, its a "tourist visa, triple entry", which means two trips out and back in during the 5 month trip. I'm thinking this is going to hurt tourism more than its going to help. 

:Cry3:

<p>

So I guess this means no more retirement visas. I was planning on coming for 5 months this winter, but the best option under the new rules would be "non-immigrant, multiple entry", which is good for a year, but would still be limited to a 90 day stay, then a trip out of the country for a couple of days before returning to LOS for the remainder of the trip. Otherwise, its a "tourist visa, triple entry", which means two trips out and back in during the 5 month trip. I'm thinking this is going to hurt tourism more than its going to help. 

:Cry3:

???

There hasn't been any changes to the rules for those over 50. You can get a Non-OA in your home country that will give you a one year stay or if in Thailand you can get a one year extension of stay. In both of these cases there is no need to leave the country during the year.

Just to confirm what has already been said.

Hull Consulate no longer take postal applications. You can not make appointments but must attend between 9.30-4.30 Mon to Fri.

They say that there isn't really a big queue because they no longer have postal applications to deal with.

Single, double, or triple entry Visas are not any different under the new rules. The clampdown is on 30 day border runs.

I spoke with them today.

SlyFox. I normally would buy all my tickets ahead of time but i have a girl i am going to bring along. But if the first couple of days in Pattaya if she gets on my nerves she,s out and then i,ll go to the Philippines instead

SlyFox. I normally would buy all my tickets ahead of time but i have a girl i am going to bring along. But if the first couple of days in Pattaya if she gets on my nerves she,s out and then i,ll go to the Philippines instead

You'll be OK Jim, with a double tourist visa + return ticket, it's the border-run people who don't have visas and have been hanging around for ages they are targeting.

"There is no limit to the number of tourist visas you can apply for, nor is there a minimum time limit between each one. Alternatively, you could get a 12-month non-immigrant (type O) visa for a one-year stay in Thailand." 

So in the end if you want to stay here it's just about buying visas and not getting in and out on the 30 day visa exemption . 

• 2 weeks later...

I just tried to extend my visa (got 30 days on the airport), however in Pattaya Immigration Office they said that I can get only 7 days extension, not 30 days. Any idea why? Maybe becuase I came to Thailand before rules has changed? I'm from EU

I just tried to extend my visa (got 30 days on the airport), however in Pattaya Immigration Office they said that I can get only 7 days extension, not 30 days. Any idea why? Maybe becuase I came to Thailand before rules has changed? I'm from EU

If you look on page 1 of this thread you'll see the post by Sick Water Buffalo that clearly states anyone entering on the 30-day visa exemption will only get a further 7 day extension from immigration.

I think the writing is now well on the wall regarding the 30-days visa exemption - if you only want to spend a few days (up to 30 days) in LOS then the visa exemption given at the airport will be fine for your needs. If you plan on being longer than 30 days, or want to make side trips and come back into LOS, then pay the dosh and get a tourist visa (or double entry tourist visa if you want to go to Cambo or Lao or VN).

I got a triple entry visa from Brisbane early this year do your homework it was valid for only 6 months and the clock is ticking from the date is issued  so wasted $45 as only got to use  two of them .Getting it in  Brisbane  was easy 9.30 they took from me and come back after 12 all done !

stanwick lad

If i'm only going to be 2-3 days over on my 30 day tourist exempt visa, is it ok to just pay the 500b a day at the airport, or does it leave a black mark against you when it comes to future trips

I work hard to support those on benefits! :Banghead2:

If i'm only going to be 2-3 days over on my 30 day tourist exempt visa, is it ok to just pay the 500b a day at the airport, or does it leave a black mark against you when it comes to future trips

Absolutely NO. Overstay is now very serious, do not deliberately factor it into your travel itinerary. You run risk of being arrested, heavily fined, and yes getting banned from re-entering Thailand for a period. You can get a one-week extension at immigration added on to the 30 tourist exemption, so do that.

What constitutes a visa run. I want to take my TGF to singapore for 3 days and return to thailand. Is that a O-I visa run? Or is it ok by air.

I was told by immigration at Jomtien that as long as I stayed out for 24 hours it wasn't an issue, so a quick weekend trip to pp was all it took. No dramas, next time I need to do it tho I will go to singapore, those Cambodian visas take up a whole Page in your passport

she asked "do you lub me?" i replied "i lub fucking you!"

I was told by immigration at Jomtien that as long as I stayed out for 24 hours it wasn't an issue, so a quick weekend trip to pp was all it took. No dramas, next time I need to do it tho I will go to singapore, those Cambodian visas take up a whole Page in your passport

Aren't they a pain in the ass. Whoever came up with the idea of whole-page sticker visas should be boiled alive in oil. I fill up an extra-sized 10 year passport in 3-4 years due to those F'n stickers every time I visit Lao, Cambo, VN. Not only is there the entire page with the sticker but also their stamps. So a weekend in Vientiane or SR means one and a half pages gone. recently I went to Penang for a few days, just 2 stamps - in & out.

Absolutely NO. Overstay is now very serious, do not deliberately factor it into your travel itinerary. You run risk of being arrested, heavily fined, and yes getting banned from re-entering Thailand for a period. You can get a one-week extension at immigration added on to the 30 tourist exemption, so do that.

ok thanks for the reply, i booked last night and it is 31 days total, basically i will be over by 12 hours. I'm guessing i can go to jomtien and get an extension there for my final day for about 1800b is that correct. if it is to much hassle i will have to change my flight while i'm over there as the admin charges to do it in the uk seem to be approx £150 

I work hard to support those on benefits! :Banghead2:

I'm still confused about the multiple entry tourist visa.

If you get a 60 day visa, extend for 30 days in the country, then leave at lets say for 80 days. Does the multiple entry start the clock over, or do you simply have 90 days in country and can come and go as you like?

Thanks

ok thanks for the reply, i booked last night and it is 31 days total, basically i will be over by 12 hours. I'm guessing i can go to jomtien and get an extension there for my final day for about 1800b is that correct. if it is to much hassle i will have to change my flight while i'm over there as the admin charges to do it in the uk seem to be approx £150 

the extention price is 1900 bht at jomtien plus you must have 1 passport photo and have a couple of photo copies done.

for less than 1 day over there is no charge at the airport.

earlier this year i was over about 6 hours but they do notice and i said sorry make mistake and that was the end of it. but he did call over a supervisor to show him. it was the only time in a lot of trips that it had happened with the exception of the airport closure a few years due to the yellow shirts actions.

Why didn't you book for 30 days or 29 days?

Another option is to make a little side trip, go to Siem Reap or Vientiane for a weekend.

the extention price is 1900 bht at jomtien plus you must have 1 passport photo and have a couple of photo copies done.

for less than 1 day over there is no charge at the airport.

earlier this year i was over about 6 hours but they do notice and i said sorry make mistake and that was the end of it. but he did call over a supervisor to show him.

personally I wouldn't chance something like this, be leaving yourself open to having some official mess with you.

I've been one day over a couple of times and they said " only one day, no pompem, be careful Nek time"

she asked "do you lub me?" i replied "i lub fucking you!"

I've been one day over a couple of times and they said " only one day, no pompem, be careful Nek time"

I reckon most would say something like that, but you also run the risk of coming up against a nasty prick who'll squeeze your balls. Personally I believe in never giving them any reason at all to squeeze mine... :-)

I got a triple entry visa from Brisbane early this year do your homework it was valid for only 6 months and the clock is ticking from the date is issued  so wasted $45 as only got to use  two of them .Getting it in  Brisbane  was easy 9.30 they took from me and come back after 12 all done !

The 6 month validity is an enter by date. In other words you can enter on the last day the visa is valid and they will still give you 60 days.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

Archived