IGNORED

New Visa Rules Explained

Sick Water Buffalo

FYI, via Chiang Mai City News, where the CM Immigration office held a seminar on the new immigration regulations yesterday.  (Bolded what I thought was most relevant information)

New Visa Rules Explained

A seminar on the new immigration regulations was held at the Imperial Mae Ping Hotel in Chiang Mai yesterday.

The event was organised by the Chamber of Commerce, Upper Northern Thailand Provincial Cluster 1, and was attended by members of the local consular corps and some foreign business owners.

Pol. Col. Rutphong Sanwanangkun, Superintendent of Chiang Mai Immigration, addressed those present along with two of his colleagues. The immigration officers answered questions, including some that CityNews asked readers to submit.

“We were most worried about vulnerable foreign nationals, the elderly, quite often with Thai families who for whatever reason haven’t been able to comply with the regulations,” British Honorary Consul Ben Svasti Thomson told CityNews after the seminar. “But the impression I got today is that people don’t have to worry, it’s the criminals they are going after.”

The focus of the seminar was the recent changes to the immigration rules and it was not possible to discuss personal cases at length, as some of our readers requested. Please remember also that Chiang Mai immigration officers merely enforce policy that is decided by politicians and at headquarters in Bangkok. All current visas will be honoured, officials assured us.

The new regulations will take effect from August 29. We hope the information below will be of help to our readers. It is true to the best of our knowledge and based on information given by immigration officers at the seminar and in subsequent interviews with CityNews.

Note: The term “visa run” here refers to the act of leaving the country for a short time in order to re-enter with a 30-day visa exemption.

No more visa runs?

The Immigration Bureau no longer permits consecutive visa runs for those who wish to remain in Thailand. However, travellers can be re-admitted if they can prove that they want to enter Thailand solely for the purpose of tourism, or to leave again by air.

It is unlikely that travellers will be granted a re-entry stamp after two or three visa runs. If your passport is stamped “O-I” (out-in) upon arrival, it is unlikely that you will be able to re-enter the country again should you decide to do a visa run.

This does not apply to those who work abroad or offshore and return to spend a holiday in Thailand every few months.

Immigration staff at the borders have considerable discretion, and whether or not you will be granted a re-entry stamp depends on how well you can prove to them that you are not illegally conducting a business in Thailand.

Citizens of G7 countries (USA, UK, Canada, France, Germany, Italy and Japan) making visa runs will be granted a 30-day visa exemption on re-entry. Others will be granted 15 days.

What about the 30-day extension?

The Immigration Office can grant you a 30-day extension on tourist visas, at a cost of 1,900 baht. However, those on the 30-day visa exemption will only get a seven-day extension period.

Is something being done to the crowded Chiang Mai Immigration Office? What about the online service?

Funding has been confirmed and a new, larger office is scheduled for construction next year. More immigration staff will be employed when it opens. Immigration staff work long hours and are currently struggling with the workload as the number of foreigners resident in the region has increased in recent years. Officers urged people to be patient until the new office opens.

Online booking is a limited option, and operates on a first-come-first-served basis. This is to avoid clashes in appointment times with walk-in users. There are no plans to extend it at this time.

Ninety day reports

The Immigration Office apologises that an online service for 90-day reporting is not yet available. It currently operates a new system which no longer involves barcode scanning, and has tried to transfer biometrical information from its old server to the new one in order to establish an online reporting service. However, due to technical difficulties which it is now trying to solve, online reporting is not yet available.

Foreign residents may submit their 90-day reports in three ways:

- In person at the Immigration Office (with a leeway of 15 days before the due date and seven days after)

- By post (at least 20 days before the due date)

- By someone given legal powers of attorney.

Retirement visas

There are currently no plans to introduce three-year retirement visas instead of the current one-year ones.

I am a tourist. What should I do if I want to stay in Thailand for longer than 30 days?

Get a tourist visa prior to arriving in Thailand. A single-entry tourist visa will allow you to stay in Thailand for 60 days and you can request 30 more at the Immigration office, making that a total of 90 days in Thailand. A multiple-entry visa will allow you to exit and enter Thailand however many times you have been granted.

There is no limit to the number of tourist visas you can apply for, nor is there a minimum time limit between each one. Alternatively, you could get a 12-month non-immigrant (type O) visa for a one-year stay in Thailand.

What if I want to work in Thailand?

If you are working for a Thai company, you will need a non-immigrant (type B) visa and then a work permit in order to work legally.

If you are a 'digital nomad' running your own business on the internet, the immigration office says you can do this on a tourist visa.

Other issues

Unfortunately, Thai Immigration offices cannot yet grant spousal visas to same-sex couples married legally in another country. Should you wish to stay in Thailand, you must apply for non-immigrant visas separately.

Landlords must inform the Immigration Bureau within 24 hours of a foreign visa holder moving into a property.

From August 29, foreigners who work in education institutes in non-teaching roles (for example, librarians and technology experts) can follow the same visa extension process as teachers.

Students enrolled in government education institutes will be able to extend their visas for up to one year. Those in non-formal education – for example, private language schools, religious schools and Muay Thai camps - will now only receive extensions of up to 90 days upon request, and not exceeding one year in total. If these students wish to stay longer, they will have to leave Thailand to apply for a new visa once their current one expires.

Dependents of non-immigrant visa holders can now request an extension to remain in the country for up to one year. Children are considered dependents up to the age of 20, or older if they have disabilities.

Volunteers will receive an extension of up to one year to remain in Thailand, provided they hold a letter of approval issued by Thailand’s Ministry of Social Development and Human Security. Those without such a letter will only be able to extend their visas for 90 days at a time, and for a total of one year.

Hospital patients and up to two caregivers can request an extension of up to 90 days if they can provide a doctor’s certificate from a public hospital, which also needs to state the name(s) of the patient’s caretaker(s) and dependent(s), and be approved by their consulate.

Sportsmen and women will now have to meet the following qualifications to receive a visa extension:

- They must have an income exceeding 40,000 THB per month.

- They must hold a letter of approval from the Sports Authority of Thailand.

- They must be an employee of a company with authorised capital exceeding 2,000,000 baht.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some critical points very clearly explained, this should smooth some frayed nerves. Thanks for posting.

................................................................................................................

Very straightforward and clear!

Now lets see who comes in and confuses everything :ThumbUp6:

So how long between visits for a visa exempt user to be safe? If I visit for a month, leave for a month, come back for a month etc....is that safe?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

"What about the 30-day extension?

The Immigration Office can grant you a 30-day extension on tourist visas, at a cost of 1,900 baht. However, those on the 30-day visa exemption will only get a seven-day extension period."

I think that statement will no longer be correct in a few days and you will now be able to get a 30 extension on a 30-day visa exempt entry. I think it becomes effective at the end of the month.

What constitutes a visa run. I want to take my TGF to singapore for 3 days and return to thailand. Is that a O-I visa run? Or is it ok by air.

12 Pints in Know it all

What constitutes a visa run. I want to take my TGF to singapore for 3 days and return to thailand. Is that a O-I visa run? Or is it ok by air.

A few days ago I left one day for Singapore, and came back the next... No problem.

I might have been lucky, though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Immigration staff at the borders have considerable discretion, and whether or not you will be granted a re-entry stamp depends on how well you can prove to them..."

Not too sure I like this bit. Immigration man is in a shitty mood, maybe got a bad hangover, maybe having trouble with his missis, so you don't get into the country.

Women are made to be loved, not understood.

"Immigration staff at the borders have considerable discretion, and whether or not you will be granted a re-entry stamp depends on how well you can prove to them..."

Not too sure I like this bit. Immigration man is in a shitty mood, maybe got a bad hangover, maybe having trouble with his missis, so you don't get into the country.

I agree, but it is true always and everywhere. :P 

THAJEC Thajský muž TRIP 37 - 30.November 2018 - 28.1.2019

I arrived august nr 20 for another holiday (30 days entry) I was in my homecountry for 3 months, so didn't think having problems at all, BUT I did had an 4 year old passport with stamps of earlier holdays from 2011 - 2014 (2 x 1 month in 2014) and they picked me out, said I was doing borderruns (Thailand don't have any borders with Europe I learned on school :-) ) and couldn't get in. Lots of intimidation, told me to send me back again, discussions on a bench with an officer for one hour.... and finally got the choice, pay 3000 baht for breakfast for 30 employees or have a problem and fly home. Could be bluf, but what to do at 7 AM after a 11 hour flight??

Paid 3000 (couldn't do it in public area but had to go to an offce) and he gave me a stamp for a 30 days entry.

Impossible to prove you are just a tourist. Everybody knows what will happen in Thailand if you let it up to individual officers to decide what to do..... you end up paying money!!

I arrived august nr 20 for another holiday (30 days entry) I was in my homecountry for 3 months, so didn't think having problems at all, BUT I did had an 4 year old passport with stamps of earlier holdays from 2011 - 2014 (2 x 1 month in 2014) and they picked me out, said I was doing borderruns (Thailand don't have any borders with Europe I learned on school :-) ) and couldn't get in. Lots of intimidation, told me to send me back again, discussions on a bench with an officer for one hour.... and finally got the choice, pay 3000 baht for breakfast for 30 employees or have a problem and fly home. Could be bluf, but what to do at 7 AM after a 11 hour flight??

Paid 3000 (couldn't do it in public area but had to go to an offce) and he gave me a stamp for a 30 days entry.

Impossible to prove you are just a tourist. Everybody knows what will happen in Thailand if you let it up to individual officers to decide what to do..... you end up paying money!!

Interesting story andy55, I was thinking about this for the past couple days..."Immigration staff at the borders have considerable discretion"...that's fertile ground for corruption. And here already we have your account.  Anyway, it's good to hear nothings really changed at all in LOS, there's no problem that a couple thousand BHT can't solve.

Seriously?

I wouldn't know what to do in that situation... Bribing an officer in a airport seems a bit risky as well, especially in the current political climate!

Did you ask for a receipt? 5555

Seriously?

I wouldn't know what to do in that situation... Bribing an officer in a airport seems a bit risky as well, especially in the current political climate!

Did you ask for a receipt? 5555

I am afraid it was seriously.... I made it clear I didn't want to bribe any one, suggested that I understood it if there where any costs to be made for a visa, but don't worry after 45 minutes they will bring up the money subject. He started asking for money for breakfast and I replied that you could eat your belly full for 500 baht in thailand.... but he explained that 30 officers had to eat. He asked for 3000 and no way down.

Interesting story andy55, I was thinking about this for the past couple days..."Immigration staff at the borders have considerable discretion"...that's fertile ground for corruption. And here already we have your account.  Anyway, it's good to hear nothings really changed at all in LOS, there's no problem that a couple thousand BHT can't solve.

yes, but if I have to do this 4 times a year, its cheaper to buy a new passport every third holiday. Here in patts they are all complaining, no tourists, where are the russians? 555

I am afraid it was seriously.... I made it clear I didn't want to bribe any one, suggested that I understood it if there where any costs to be made for a visa, but don't worry after 45 minutes they will bring up the money subject. He started asking for money for breakfast and I replied that you could eat your belly full for 500 baht in thailand.... but he explained that 30 officers had to eat. He asked for 3000 and no way down.

Good to know how to handle it. I have had upwards 20 entries a year for the past few years (like some of the offshore guys I suspect), so maybe I will be the happy winner of a trip to the sweat-box.

Need to find app for the phone that can do recordings, without it being visual on the display ;-)

yes, but if I have to do this 4 times a year, its cheaper to buy a new passport every third holiday. Here in patts they are all complaining, no tourists, where are the russians? 555

Did you have an onward booking from Thailand?

Good to know how to handle it. I have had upwards 20 entries a year for the past few years (like some of the offshore guys I suspect), so maybe I will be the happy winner of a trip to the sweat-box.

Need to find app for the phone that can do recordings, without it being visual on the display ;-)

If you're thinking of recording a corruption conversation so you can report the official afterwards I'd strongly advise you not to. You will be fucked over some way. If you're in a spot in LOS and an official/policeman offers you an option to pay and solve your problem then take it and be on your merry way.

If you're thinking of recording a corruption conversation so you can report the official afterwards I'd strongly advise you not to. You will be fucked over some way. If you're in a spot in LOS and an official/policeman offers you an option to pay and solve your problem then take it and be on your merry way.

Yep, I for sure would face more problems, than the officer making a few extra baht.

I would still be very careful about bribing an official in the current political climate... You never know about these guys.

This has probably been answered elsewhere but

what if I want to activate my 2nd or 3rd tourist visa if I can get the multiple entry one in london.....can I do this with a visa run to poipet or somewhere else?

This has probably been answered elsewhere but

what if I want to activate my 2nd or 3rd tourist visa if I can get the multiple entry one in london.....can I do this with a visa run to poipet or somewhere else?

I think the answer to your question is yes you can, after you have convinced the official at the border that you're not working in LOS, and have paid for breakfast for everyone in the office.

I think the answer to your question is yes you can, after you have convinced the official at the border that you're not working in LOS, and have paid for breakfast for everyone in the office.

yep, bring donuts, hahahahaha!

here is my situation I plan on coming for 2 months. on the 30th day I plan on going to ankor wat for 5 days. Then I want to come back and stay another 30. based on the first post I could just come there and get the 30 day visa leave by air and come back and get another 30 days.  or would it just be easier form to get a multiple entry tourist visa

Any advice is appreciated

Jim2k

Archived