Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

marriott fitness center question

tps

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No worries.  Probably better for me since he always forced me (well, I did show up voluntarily and paid him) to lift heavier than I wanted to.   :GoldenSmile1:

Sounds like a guy I need to meet. Not that I'm into powerlifting, but those who are sure know how to build a great physique!

Let's get back on topic... I took a few photos inside Marriott today. You can't see the cardio area in the pics because people were working out there and I don't want to post pics of them on the internet.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Tack för bilderna!

How is the air condition in there? 

How many kilos are the heaviest dumbbells?

Tack för bilderna!

Ingen orsak!

How is the air condition in there? 

The aircon is working fine, temperature is comfortable. I guess it is around 18 degrees celsius.

How many kilos are the heaviest dumbbells?

They are 100 lbs. That is short for pounds, not ladyboys ;)

All the weights are in pounds, which is a bit annoying to me because I'm used to the metric system. But it is quite easy to convert pounds to kilos once you get the hang of it.

Todays math lesson: convert 45 lbs to kg.

45/2=22,5

22,5/10=2,25

22,5-2,25=20 (roughly)

So 45 lb equals about 20 kg

Or bring your phone and use the calculator :)

Ingen orsak!

The aircon is working fine, temperature is comfortable. I guess it is around 18 degrees celsius.

They are 100 lbs. That is short for pounds, not ladyboys ;)

All the weights are in pounds, which is a bit annoying to me because I'm used to the metric system. But it is quite easy to convert pounds to kilos once you get the hang of it.

Todays math lesson: convert 45 lbs to kg.

45/2=22,5

22,5/10=2,25

22,5-2,25=20 (roughly)

So 45 lb equals about 20 kg

Or bring your phone and use the calculator :)

Awesome, thanks. I'm training in Thailand or PH at least 3 months a year, so I can pretty much convert lbs to kg in my head by now :D

The AC at Tony's at 3rd road hardly makes any difference in that big area. Universe gym at sukhumvit is kind of cool, but it's too damn far away. Despite Marriotts hefty price I will use this gym in the future instead. 

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

That's a smith machine.

Pardon my ignorance if there is a big difference.  Yes, it is a Smith rack.   The bar stays inside the rails and is not free.  Is that important in squats?  I kind of like the idea if I get in over my head (or muscles as case may be) all I have to do is roll my wrists and the machine catches the weight.

Mind you right now I am limited to mini-squats with ZERO weight after having 2 new knees installed.  And they hirt like HELL.  Can't even walk up and down a flight if stairs yet.  But I'll be in Pattaya in about 40 hours.     :GoldenSmile1:

Pardon my ignorance if there is a big difference.  Yes, it is a Smith rack.   The bar stays inside the rails and is not free.  Is that important in squats?  I kind of like the idea if I get in over my head (or muscles as case may be) all I have to do is roll my wrists and the machine catches the weight.

Mind you right now I am limited to mini-squats with ZERO weight after having 2 new knees installed.  And they hirt like HELL.  Can't even walk up and down a flight if stairs yet.  But I'll be in Pattaya in about 40 hours.     :GoldenSmile1:

There's different opinions, but to me it just doesn't feel right doing squats in a smith machine. It's an unnatural movement and seems to put more stress on my knees than regular squats.

http://www.menshealth.com/mhlists/avoid_lifting_injuries/The_Smith_Machine.php

http://stronglifts.com/smith-machine-squats-power-rack-free-weights/

GFE: Gull Friend Experience

Official Pattaya Song

There's different opinions, but to me it just doesn't feel right doing squats in a smith machine. It's an unnatural movement and seems to put more stress on my knees than regular squats.

http://www.menshealth.com/mhlists/avoid_lifting_injuries/The_Smith_Machine.php

http://stronglifts.com/smith-machine-squats-power-rack-free-weights/

Interesting.  As I've never done squats any other way I didn't know it mattered.  

Just as an update I arrived here and checked out costs again.

1 year 4 days a week max use and you can not put your membership on hold so it will run 12 caleder months and expire - 27,000 baht.

1 year unlimited use and you can put your membership on hold if you split time was around 45000 baht.  Maybe 41000.  

The only thing that makes these rates remotely OK is the great pool they have.  But still.  It's double US rates for a good gym.

Anyone know are they still offering a one month rate?

I might be going there tomorrow. I can ask for you.

Interesting.  As I've never done squats any other way I didn't know it mattered.  

Just as an update I arrived here and checked out costs again.

1 year 4 days a week max use and you can not put your membership on hold so it will run 12 caleder months and expire - 27,000 baht.

1 year unlimited use and you can put your membership on hold if you split time was around 45000 baht.  Maybe 41000.  

The only thing that makes these rates remotely OK is the great pool they have.  But still.  It's double US rates for a good gym.

That's crazy pricing but it is what it is.

I pay about 1000 baht per month back home, and that gives me access to every gym around the US and abroad.

Tony had a lifetime membership special for a few weeks last month at 29000 baht I think, access to all Gyms.

GFE: Gull Friend Experience

Official Pattaya Song

Yes there is still a one month option and I'll be there Thursday to check it out.  I forget what it was.  Might be the right fit for me.

Just an update on costs.  I just joined for a month.  It is an any time 7 days a week including pool.

5617.50 baht

• 6 months later...

Price update for 2015. The fine print says: "all rates are subject to 7% government tax, except lifetime monthly fee".

image.jpg

• 7 months later...

For anyone interested in this place, pool usage is now severely restricted (before 8am and after 5pm only if memory serves). Very unfortunate as it certainly is a great pool.

However, even though they did restrict the pool hours, they didn't forget to add on their annual increase for membership fees. So, now you get less for more. :GoldenSmile1:

Wow fitness fees are way to expensive !!! I'm not a cheap Charlee more like a two week mili traveler but 4500 for two week membership. I'll stick with Tony's near LK Metro has everything I need at 1/4 the price

Wow fitness fees are way to expensive !!! I'm not a cheap Charlee more like a two week mili traveler but 4500 for two week membership. I'll stick with Tony's near LK Metro has everything I need at 1/4 the price

Yes, Tony's is much cheaper but having NO A/C is a killer. I didn't even see a fan(!?).

Archived