IGNORED

marriott fitness center question

tps

Is anyone here currently using the fitness facility at Marriott. I read somewhere that a month pass is available for 5000 baht, and includes salad and juice/coffee bar, as well as gym and pool access. Does this info seem accurate and up-to-date? thanks.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am a member, but I bought a year membership.  I am not sure of cost of monthly membership.  And it does include the free salad/juice bar - actually there are various times during the day that they alternate between juice and salad bar, and there is also an oatmeal bar in the mornings that I haven't ever had... The salad bar is very basic, but OK... They also have roselle juice with the salad bar and fruit (pineapple, watermelon, small bananas)... There is always free cappuccino/coffee from a pretty decent machine that grinds the beans/etc... The weight training equipment is old but OK... the shower/locker room facility is nice and they give you a nice pair of Marriott-grade towels, and a bottle of water... the pool area is REAL nice... the location is superb - a short walk or if you are lazy (or a Thai bar girl in heels) a short baht bus ride to Walking Street... I have a nice pool and fitness center at my condo so not sure I will reUP when my membership comes due next April (assuming I am alive and still here in Pattaya at that time)... 

When I compare it with the Tony (and other) openAir Gyms that I see when I am driving around... despite paying a LARGE fee, I am VERY VERY happy to have enough money to be able to join the Marriott...

Retired in Pattaya, Thailand - arrived April 1, 2014... Ohhhhh yeahhhhhh... LiveN my dream!

:GrinNod1:  :GoldenSmile1:  :24:

Good info southsidebruce. Never realized their fitness center was available to non-guests, for a price.

A quick Google search found this site with prices.

Fitness Club @ Pattaya Marriott Resort & Spa

Packages:

Daily Access – 450 Baht

Weekly – 2,000 Baht

Monthly – 5,000 Baht

Six Month – 20,000 Baht (Promotion until Dec 31st)

Annual – 38,000 Baht

Thanks guys. On the link there was a video of the facilities. Very nice, though they mentioned juice and coffee as being complimentary, but nothing of a salad or oatmeal bar on offer. I wonder if this is still available?

I see the address for the Marriott Resort is shown on the website as Beach Road, but on the link in this thread the fitness center is in the "Royal Garden Plaza next to Marriott on second road".. So, should I look for it on second road then or enter off of Beach rd?

You can access the fitness center from the Royal Garden Plaza.  The Royal Garden Plaza is located between Second Road and Beach Road...there are entrances on both roads.  The fitness center is on the north side/Naklua side of the Royal Garden Plaza.  

Think about that.  38,000 baht a year.  Heck, my membership in a first world gym here costs 1/3 that much.  They lost their minds about 5 years ago.  Pity as I enjoyed the place.

Thanks G Baht !

As fatjack posted, it is expensive, but I will be in Patts for a month and between the gym and the pool i expect to pass a few hours every day there.

Is says they have a sauna but the website says they have a steam room too, does anyone know if they have a steam & is it included in the fee??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

in the men's locker room they have a steam room... downstairs by the pool, they might have a sauna - not sure...

Retired in Pattaya, Thailand - arrived April 1, 2014... Ohhhhh yeahhhhhh... LiveN my dream!

in the men's locker room they have a steam room... downstairs by the pool, they might have a sauna - not sure...

Thanks Bruce

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't see a squat rack, bummer

there is a squat rack in the fitness center, in the free weight area... they have a bench, an inclined bench, the squat rack, barbells with various weights, and 2 benches that allow you to do barbell presses/curls/etc at various angles in that free weight area... as I might have mentioned before in this post (or another one), the equipment is old (surprising for a Marriott Hotel), but good enough to get a decent enough workout (for me it is OK, might not be good enough for other, more seriousIntoWorkOut guys)... I heard from a somewhat reliable source that the Marriott Pattaya is going to break away from the Marriott brand in the near future, and go it alone as another brand/name... The Marriott Pattaya and the Bangkok Marriott on the Chao Praya river are franchised by the Marriott corporation (there was an article on the American (now Thai national) superWealthy dude who owns them =>  

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2014-07-08/american-billionaire-made-in-thailand-keeping-kingdom-bet#p1

there is a squat rack in the fitness center, in the free weight area... they have a bench, an inclined bench, the squat rack, barbells with various weights, and 2 benches that allow you to do barbell presses/curls/etc at various angles in that free weight area... as I might have mentioned before in this post (or another one), the equipment is old (surprising for a Marriott Hotel), but good enough to get a decent enough workout (for me it is OK, might not be good enough for other, more seriousIntoWorkOut guys)... I heard from a somewhat reliable source that the Marriott Pattaya is going to break away from the Marriott brand in the near future, and go it alone as another brand/name... The Marriott Pattaya and the Bangkok Marriott on the Chao Praya river are franchised by the Marriott corporation (there was an article on the American (now Thai national) superWealthy dude who owns them =>  

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2014-07-08/american-billionaire-made-in-thailand-keeping-kingdom-bet#p1

If it means they will reduce the price of gym memberships I'm all for it.  Location for me is perfect and I'm satisfied with the equipment up there.  And the pool is great.

Is it a squat rack or a smith machine?

Looks like a smith machine from the video but don't know how it looks inside now.

GFE: Gull Friend Experience

Official Pattaya Song

Is it a squat rack or a smith machine?

Looks like a smith machine from the video but don't know how it looks inside now.

I'm no expert on the difference but the one in Marriot (assuming no change in the last year) is a smith machine.  The bar travels on a fixed path.

There is no squatrack at Marriott. They do have a leg press machine that will keep my legs in shape until I get back home. The equipment might be old but it is well maintained. Signed up for one month four days ago, the membership was 5000 according to the pricelist but I ended up paying 5350 because of some additional tax. Marriott and Fairtex are in the same price range and both are way better than any other gym I've seen in Pattaya. Memberships are insanely expensive compared to swedish Gyms but I don't care. I'm only here once a year and I like working out.

There is no squatrack at Marriott. They do have a leg press machine that will keep my legs in shape until I get back home. The equipment might be old but it is well maintained. Signed up for one month four days ago, the membership was 5000 according to the pricelist but I ended up paying 5350 because of some additional tax. Marriott and Fairtex are in the same price range and both are way better than any other gym I've seen in Pattaya. Memberships are insanely expensive compared to swedish gyms but I don't care. I'm only here once a year and I like working out.

Yeah, pricy.  I used to belong as I had a trainer there.  Swedish guy.  Is that you?  Are you back from Sweden?

Yeah, pricy.  I used to belong as I had a trainer there.  Swedish guy.  Is that you?  Are you back from Sweden?

Du har rätt herr fatjack1, I am a swedish guy :) Unless "Swedish guy" is a name, then you are probably thinking of another person. Back in Pattaya now for a month anyway.

I used top work out with a swedish guy who was a power lifter in his youth.  he was still amazingly strong at 50.  Just wondered if he was coming back and it was you.

I am neither in my 50s nor a powerlifter, so solly mista but I'm not the swedish guy you had in mind.

No worries.  Probably better for me since he always forced me (well, I did show up voluntarily and paid him) to lift heavier than I wanted to.   :GoldenSmile1:

Looked around a few days ago, looks good, a bit expensive, but that would make me use it more to get my money's worth, which wouldn't be a bad thing,

Thanks guys. On the link there was a video of the facilities. Very nice, though they mentioned juice and coffee as being complimentary, but nothing of a salad or oatmeal bar on offer. I wonder if this is still available?

I confirm for the salad

image.jpg

Archived