IGNORED

Best place to drink wine

I bought a decent Chilean Cabernet at Tops market for 400 baht to drink in the room. She was already drunk from our night out...so after sex she fell asleep and I drank the bottle while watching the world cup, 555

That's a good deal for Thailand - only a 100% mark up. Chilean 'Riserva' cabs are $6 & change here in Cambodia. The regular cabs are $5.

A major drawback of Thailand, and most Asian countries, is the high cost, due mainly to taxes, of good wine. I slip a few 2 ltr casks of reasonable Aussie reds in my checked in baggage. As it has not the selvin caps it does not show up on the security screening. A few trips ago I was picked up as the selvin caps showed up on the xray machine. I had  a warning and lost 3 bottles of very good reds. Just as well they did not spot the other four in my hand luggage.  

New Orleans French restaurant has good wine and all the right touches to slowly consume a bottle of wine during and after dinner. Soi 13/4 granted it's in boystown which is another bit of entertainment for the girl.  Changes up the pace a bit so the girl isn't always watching you checking out other girls.

A major drawback of Thailand, and most Asian countries, is the high cost, due mainly to taxes, of good wine. I slip a few 2 ltr casks of reasonable Aussie reds in my checked in baggage. As it has not the selvin caps it does not show up on the security screening. A few trips ago I was picked up as the selvin caps showed up on the xray machine. I had  a warning and lost 3 bottles of very good reds. Just as well they did not spot the other four in my hand luggage.  

Really, you got 4 reds through security in Oz ? Hard to believe. In the States they always confiscate my fucking toothpaste and sun cream if I don't check a bag. I've never had a problem with checked through. I've smuggled between 100 & 200 bottles into BKK I imagine. I did lose 2 bottles of Havana Club 18 going back into the US a few years back though. I always get fucking flagged now 'cause of it.

Got my tgf onto wine last trip 3 mths ago...use to drink gin.vodka,whiskey.. now only orders red wine. :GoldenSmile1:

I was pretty impressed by the choice at Foodland  - better than Friendship I reckon. Big C and Tesco aren't up to much.

I actually found a reasonable Thai red a couple of months back, cheap compared to the imported labels. I don't think they make it from locally grown grapes though, if you've tried Thai wines you'll know that most are pretty rough. Reckon this one is made using imported fresh juice rather than concentrate. Name escapes me for now, I'll post it when I remember.

Think it's Cafe des Amis that lets you bring your own bottle, charging 500 baht corkage. Not completely sure though.

I was pretty impressed by the choice at Foodland  - better than Friendship I reckon. Big C and Tesco aren't up to much.

I actually found a reasonable Thai red a couple of months back, cheap compared to the imported labels. I don't think they make it from locally grown grapes though, if you've tried Thai wines you'll know that most are pretty rough. Reckon this one is made using imported fresh juice rather than concentrate. Name escapes me for now, I'll post it when I remember.

Think it's Cafe des Amis that lets you bring your own bottle, charging 500 baht corkage. Not completely sure though.

The vinyards at Khaoyai are quite good. Vines are over 20 years old, not sure where they got them.  But all of the wines, red and white are excellent from there.  Tried 2 different vinyards.

"Think it's Cafe des Amis that lets you bring your own bottle, charging 500 baht corkage. Not completely sure though"..................... You can BYOB, but I don't know what the corkage is. I always give Blue (the owner) a bit & there is no corkage.

New Orleans French restaurant has good wine and all the right touches to slowly consume a bottle of wine during and after dinner. Soi 13/4 granted it's in boystown which is another bit of entertainment for the girl.  Changes up the pace a bit so the girl isn't always watching you checking out other girls.

I think it closed down

Gian's house wines are not bad and not too expensive for what you get.  Food is good too!  A 500ml caraffe is approx. 700-900bht depending on what you want. Italian reds and whites.

Otherwise, as suggested but to add another: Try the red or white 4 litre boxes of Marysol from Foodland. They are 799bht a box and not bad plonk in most peoples view/taste once tried.  Of course your hotel room needs the right light and view to make it work completely and those kind of rooms are not so easy to find in pats! 

Requesting reviews of the local supermarket boxed wine, cask wine, goon bags etc...looking to drink a few when in Patts

then take a couple back to Indo where the wine scene is even more diabolical than Thailand!

Archived