IGNORED

Steak & Co. in Soi Lengkee (formerly China Garden)

China Garden

Looks yummy

• Like 1

ummm

Ok I have made several good reports on Steak & Co so its only fair that  I speak when disappointed. 4 of us went in, all ordered the porterhouse, (that was a testosterone thing  :Evil_Grin2: ) with various side and sauces.

1 x Well done (heathen)

1 x medium well done (not much better)

1 x Medium (learning)

1 x Medium rare (few teeth left 555)

No starters, all drinking Magners, when the steaks arrived with their little wooden pegs indicating which was which I carefully checked mine, yep the peg was right however the steak was not  :Whistle:  what we received was 2 x medium. I made a passing comment to the server but what is there they can do when they over-cook a steak? Cook another, yep but by then your companions will have finished or nearly finished their meal. Take all away and keep theirs warm whilst cooking yours, not acceptable.

Perhaps it was because all the other steaks needed longer cooking, there is not a vast difference though between a medium well done steak and well done. There is a vast difference between medium and Medium rare though  :Evil_Grin2: and its not correctable. If my steak had come rare there would have been problem for me as that is how I eat fillet and any way they could have fixed the problem. By their prices and advertising they have put themselves in a position of having to get it right, especially if its my medium rare  :Grin3:

Good price for a good steak, expensive for a wrongly cooked one. Its is only right to add everybody else in the party loved their steak and will return to eat there again. Will I eat there again?....................yes  :rolleyes:  unless you make a habit of over-cooking my steak  :Evil_Grin2:

Ok I have made several good reports on Steak & Co so its only fair that  I speak when disappointed. 4 of us went in, all ordered the porterhouse, (that was a testosterone thing  :Evil_Grin2: ) with various side and sauces.

1 x Well done (heathen)

1 x Medium (learning)

No starters, all drinking Magners, when the steaks arrived with their little wooden pegs indicating which was which I carefully checked mine, yep the peg was right however the steak was not  :Whistle:  what we received was 2 x medium. I made a passing comment to the server but what is there they can do when they over-cook a steak? Cook another, yep but by then your companions will have finished or nearly finished their meal. Take all away and keep theirs warm whilst cooking yours, not acceptable.

Perhaps it was because all the other steaks needed longer cooking, there is not a vast difference though between a medium well done steak and well done. There is a vast difference between medium and Medium rare though  :Evil_Grin2: and its not correctable. If my steak had come rare there would have been problem for me as that is how I eat fillet and any way they could have fixed the problem. By their prices and advertising they have put themselves in a position of having to get it right, especially if its my medium rare  :Grin3:

Good price for a good steak, expensive for a wrongly cooked one. Its is only right to add everybody else in the party loved their steak and will return to eat there again. Will I eat there again?....................yes  :rolleyes:  unless you make a habit of over-cooking my steak  :Evil_Grin2:

I am very sorry Cerberus that your Porterhouse was over cooked and not medium-rare steak as requested, as you pointed out there is no excuse for getting it wrong in a Steakhouse, medium-rare is the most popular cooking temperature. We appreciate your being a regular customer & recommending us to your friends, as a gesture of good will we offer your next Porterhouse "on-the house", I will make both Gerry & Yuri aware of your complimentary steak.

Sorry again! We will get it right next time. 

• Like 3

What's the system used to inable these meats to keep for so long ?

I have to say I dont actually know, perhaps Soi 7 who was in the butchery trade may be able to answer that question! Once your open the vac-pack seal the meat needs to be used quickly, but I'm not sure what the long expiry date refers to. The Beef is packed in Australia by the farm and flown to Thailand chilled, Choice Food collect it direct from the airport and bring it straight to us in Pattaya in the Chiller Van within a few hours!

Edited by China Garden

Ate there twice. Both time I was the first customer of the day bonus of staying above the place. Both time the meal was good, presentations was excellent. First time ordered mashed potatoes and 2nd time potatoes au gratin.

My steak fall 250gm sirloin steak with mushroom sauce. The food was amazing but there were some discrepancies in both the meal

Also to be noted both the times there was no stick of cooked indicater.

1. First time my carrort were whole whereas 2nd tine they were in different sized pieces. First time my carrota were towarsa crispy side where as 2nd time time I thought they were completly overboiled. I dont eat salad so not a bothersome for me. But I would have preferred some consistency in meal.

2. Both the time cooking indicator as some othets have mentioned was not there. Not an issue. Just letting you know.

3. First time my steak was perfectly cooked towards medium rare. excellent mouth watering. 2nd time it was towards rar rather than medium. I dont mind that either, it would only have been an issue if it was medium instead of medium rare. Would have returned it in that scenario.

4. First time I was not served bread and butter where as 2nd time I was served.

Other than few things I mentioned. I thoroughly enjoyed my meal both the time. I would not only come again but recommend to my friends also.

Ate there twice. Both time I was the first customer of the day bonus of staying above the place. Both time the meal was good, presentations was excellent. First time ordered mashed potatoes and 2nd time potatoes au gratin.

My steak fall 250gm sirloin steak with mushroom sauce. The food was amazing but there were some discrepancies in both the meal

Also to be noted both the times there was no stick of cooked indicater.

1. First time my carrort were whole whereas 2nd tine they were in different sized pieces. First time my carrota were towarsa crispy side where as 2nd time time I thought they were completly overboiled. I dont eat salad so not a bothersome for me. But I would have preferred some consistency in meal.

2. Both the time cooking indicator as some othets have mentioned was not there. Not an issue. Just letting you know.

3. First time my steak was perfectly cooked towards medium rare. excellent mouth watering. 2nd time it was towards rar rather than medium. I dont mind that either, it would only have been an issue if it was medium instead of medium rare. Would have returned it in that scenario.

4. First time I was not served bread and butter where as 2nd time I was served.

Other than few things I mentioned. I thoroughly enjoyed my meal both the time. I would not only come again but recommend to my friends also.

Thanks for the feedback, I'm glad you enjoyed both of the meals and staying with us, we do have a number of guests from our rooms either choosing room service or dinning downstairs. The steak markers are used "ad-hoc", pretty much when we have a table of 4 or more so the server doesn't mix up the steaks, although I would prefer they used them every time personally. The carrots are usually diced and part of the mixed veggies we put on the plate for garnish, along side there should be 2 baby carrots, its possible the super-market / Makro was out of stock that day, a little odd why bread wasn't served both times, sorry about that.

Thanks again and I hope to see you next time your in Thailand. If you ever get time we are on Trip Advisor ** wink, wink**

cheers,

Ian 

Edited by China Garden

Thanks for the feedback, I'm glad you enjoyed both of the meals and staying with us, we do have a number of guests from our rooms either choosing room service or dinning downstairs. The steak markers are used "ad-hoc", pretty much when we have a table of 4 or more so the server doesn't mix up the steaks, although I would prefer they used them every time personally. The carrots are usually diced and part of the mixed veggies we put on the plate for garnish, along side there should be 2 baby carrots, its possible the super-market / Makro was out of stock that day, a little odd why bread wasn't served both times, sorry about that.

Thanks again and I hope to see you next time your in Thailand. If you ever get time we are on Trip Advisor ** wink, wink**

cheers,

Ian

Thank for clarification on the steak markers.

I dont know about vegitables, may be they were out as you said and would sincelerly say upfront thats an excuse and not a good one.. You run a restaurant and you know your daily order. The reason I say because my cousin runs a restaurent in india in which I am a silent partner so I think I know little bit about how the system works. As you have your daily quota of product to be purchased and your supplier need to provide it unless its natural calamity where its out of human hand.

Other than that meal was excellent.

I like your order forms. So straightforward and no chances of making a mistake by the server while taking it with tickmark boxes.

Was it you who walked in with some bottles ealier in the morning? I was sitting on left hand side sofa. I am pretty sure I was the only customer. Wanted so say hello after I finish the meal but you left before it.

And surely will put up my review on TripAdvisor when I get chance.

I am very sorry Cerberus that your Porterhouse was over cooked and not medium-rare steak as requested, as you pointed out there is no excuse for getting it wrong in a Steakhouse, medium-rare is the most popular cooking temperature. We appreciate your being a regular customer & recommending us to your friends, as a gesture of good will we offer your next Porterhouse "on-the house", I will make both Gerry & Yuri aware of your complimentary steak.

Sorry again! We will get it right next time. 

Thanks for the kind offer, it is appreciated. If I was able to say it tasted bad or had I not eaten the complete steak, then I would feel justified in taking up your offer. As it is I left a well chewed bone and nothing else, we took care of your staff and left full and happy, so, just do not over cook my steak again and we will call it quits after all I do not want to be the cause of a rush of complaints all looking for a freebie  :Evil_Grin2:

Edited by Cerberus

Thanks for the kind offer, it is appreciated. If I was able to say it tasted bad or had I not eaten the complete steak, then I would feel justified in taking up your offer. As it is I left a well chewed bone and nothing else, we took care of your staff and left full and happy, so, just do not over cook my steak again and we will call it quits after all I do not want to be the cause of a rush of complaints all looking for a freebie  :Evil_Grin2:

Well done mate, I had the same thought myself, when it comes to the chance of a free excellent steak we can all be a bunch of greedy buggers

for good accommodation at sensible prices located on Soi Chaiyapoon www.englishrosepattaya.com

"Tis better to be silent and thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt"  Abraham Lincoln.

OK, thanks.

Home-made desserts should be available hopefully from tonight ! pictures to follow  ...

IMG_0418.jpg

Edited by China Garden

Home-made desserts, all 150 Baht. Tiramisu, Trifle & Chocolate Mousse

IMG_0447.JPG

IMG_0448.JPG

IMG_0449.JPG

Edited by China Garden

Was there tonight and had the 600g T bone, missus had the 250g scotch? Medium rare for me and medium for her, both were spot on. Nice flavour, cooked perfectly both mushroom and pepper sauces were quite nice with subtle flavours that didn't overpower the steak. As for the salty butter? I like it!! The bread seemed to be a bit cheap and ordinary but the rest of the meal was excellent. Massive serve of fries for sides and mash for me. All very good. Staff were attentive without being intrusive, noticed that each order was taken down on a separate check sheet. Both meals arrived together. I was very impressed and will definitely be back

• Like 1

she asked "do you lub me?" i replied "i lub fucking you!"

I have to say I dont actually know, perhaps Soi 7 who was in the butchery trade may be able to answer that question! Once your open the vac-pack seal the meat needs to be used quickly, but I'm not sure what the long expiry date refers to. The Beef is packed in Australia by the farm and flown to Thailand chilled, Choice Food collect it direct from the airport and bring it straight to us in Pattaya in the Chiller Van within a few hours!

I order fresh meat online from a company in the uk, just for me, not for commercial purposes. Usually about 8kg at a time, but they deliver it in a big cardboard box that will stay chilled for 72hrs. I believe, the vacuum packed meat is filled with some type of gas that helps it stay cool. For anyone in the uk, its a great company to use.....

http://www.musclefood.com/meat-delivered-fresh/

Had a great meal in there the other night.The chef obviously has some good talent and seems to have the kitchen staff well trained

The front of house manager, what does he do? He was non existent messing about the bar/cashier area rather than ensuring customers were happy. This showed im some of the service staff who dont seem to fully understand some basic things such as dont being allowed to initially taste the wine before served

Anyway to sum up

Steaks were perfect

Veg along with steaks were very good, nice touch with the stuffed tomato

Sauces again very good indeed

Sides; I had potato gratin & my pal had mac and cheese. They were excellent

Front of house management in hiding

Service staff keen but lacking some basic knowledge

Edited by Geespot
  • Like 1

1 x Well done (heathen)

1 x Medium (learning)

Hmmmm  not good you pay for a chef to come from England who is an expert on cooking steaks and he makes basic mistakes.

IMO if you wish to and I am sure you do, to make a name as an outstanding stake house then you need to get it right every time.

After all its not very difficult to cook a steak to order most elementary cooks can do so.

This is not a stab at you but I think the "chef " is not doing your restaurant the due credit.

JDM

if you are Looking to rent an apartment in a condo take a look at my website.

http://www.condopattaya-rent.com

I order fresh meat online from a company in the uk, just for me, not for commercial purposes. Usually about 8kg at a time, but they deliver it in a big cardboard box that will stay chilled for 72hrs. I believe, the vacuum packed meat is filled with some type of gas that helps it stay cool. For anyone in the uk, its a great company to use.....

http://www.musclefood.com/meat-delivered-fresh/

Thanks for the link. I just spent a few quid and will be eating only 'exotic' animals for a couple of weeks :)

• Like 2

RULES

1NQq.gif

There are only two types of people in the world, those who can extrapolate from incomplete data......

Had a great meal in there the other night.The chef obviously has some good talent and seems to have the kitchen staff well trained

The front of house manager, what does he do? He was non existent messing about the bar/cashier area rather than ensuring customers were happy. This showed im some of the service staff who dont seem to fully understand some basic things such as dont being allowed to initially taste the wine before served

Anyway to sum up

Steaks were perfect

Veg along with steaks were very good, nice touch with the stuffed tomato

Sauces again very good indeed

Sides; I had potato gratin & my pal had mac and cheese. They were excellent

Front of house management in hiding

Service staff keen but lacking some basic knowledge

Thanks for the great review of the food, we are getting a reputation for having some of the best steaks in Pattaya!  Front of house is clearly as important as what comes out of the kitchen and we are still building our team and gaining in experience, remember its only 12 week since we opened! 

Hmmmm  not good you pay for a chef to come from England who is an expert on cooking steaks and he makes basic mistakes.

IMO if you wish to and I am sure you do, to make a name as an outstanding stake house then you need to get it right every time.

After all its not very difficult to cook a steak to order most elementary cooks can do so.

This is not a stab at you but I think the "chef " is not doing your restaurant the due credit.

JDM

Chef Gerry wasn't there when 1 of the 4 Porterhouses was over cooked, yes he's still responsible as the "Head Chef" to ensure mistake don't get made but considering where we were 12 weeks ago I think Chef Gerry does a wonderful job, there's very few places you can go in Pattaya and get the same standard of food without going high end dinning. 

Cooking a good steak is much harder then you think especially T-Bones & Porterhouses as its "on the bone" and "two different type of meat" and this situation cooked to "4 different temperatures", I'm not making excuses for the mistake that was made but there a reason most restaurants don't offer Imported steak in Pattaya that's because "elementary cooks" cannot gauge the right temperatures and often they over-cook the beef.

Again, I'm not offering up excuses, it should not happen but I dont think Chef Gerry needs to be harshly criticized either. I know you only want the best for me, my restaurant / business and have supported me over the years but Chef Gerry is the way forward. 

Edited by China Garden

Was there tonight and had the 600g T bone, missus had the 250g scotch? Medium rare for me and medium for her, both were spot on. Nice flavour, cooked perfectly both mushroom and pepper sauces were quite nice with subtle flavours that didn't overpower the steak. As for the salty butter? I like it!! The bread seemed to be a bit cheap and ordinary but the rest of the meal was excellent. Massive serve of fries for sides and mash for me. All very good. Staff were attentive without being intrusive, noticed that each order was taken down on a separate check sheet. Both meals arrived together. I was very impressed and will definitely be back

I'm happy we got the temperatures "spot on" and you enjoyed the sauces & sides, hope to see you again.

Cheers,

Ian

Thanks for the link. I just spent a few quid and will be eating only 'exotic' animals for a couple of weeks :)

yeh they seem to have branched out lately into animals that I would rather see in a zoo, than on my plate. They have a big following on facebook and ask for feedback on what people want -very proactive. I order chicken by the 5kg batch and its better quality than supermarket stuff.

........back to china garden........ :GoldenSmile1:  

• Like 1

I ate here tonight, and I thought the food was wonderful in both taste and presentation.

I had a steak, medium rare, mashed potatoes and cream of spinach. Wow...aloi mak maak.

This was the best Falang food I have ever had in Thailand.

I spoke to a guy at a nearby table who was enquiring about the quality here...and it turned out to be well known BM Lottalee Winner.

What a splendid chap he is.

Good work Steak and Co...I am very impressed with your operation.

• Like 3

I ate here tonight, and I thought the food was wonderful in both taste and presentation.

I had a steak, medium rare, mashed potatoes and cream of spinach. Wow...aloi mak maak.

This was the best Falang food I have ever had in Thailand.

I spoke to a guy at a nearby table who was enquiring about the quality here...and it turned out to be well known BM Lottalee Winner.

What a splendid chap he is.

Good work Steak and Co...I am very impressed with your operation.

Thank you very much! Don't forget Trip Advisor if you have it! Much appreciated

Ian