IGNORED

Steak & Co. in Soi Lengkee (formerly China Garden)

China Garden

Where do you currently work?

I want to come eat there.

Be one of those lunch vans!

Sent from my GT-S7560M using Tapatalk

Be one of those lunch vans!

I guess I will have a grilled cheese then.

Can't fuck that up right?

I guess I will have a grilled cheese then.

Can't fuck that up right?

well what kind of cheese we talking about?

Sent from my GT-I9200 using Tapatalk

I have to keep reminding myself its a job :GoldenSmile1:
At Babydolls we are serious about fun

babydollsaddict.gif

Oh no let's not start talking cheddar.

Ian, lunch menu looks really good, very much looking forward to trying. Just have to get my lazy arse out of bed before the evening menu kicks in

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

Edited by Dodgy
  • Like 1

I looked in the dictionary under 'troll' and I saw a picture of aLLan hASS.

Omigosh, he's dragged me down to his level! I feel so dirty.

Baked beans were invented by an English man in there traditional form. Before that a variation was created by the Indians which had everything stolen from them by modern America so not surprising you would claim it as your own.

Their traditional form? Do they dress up? Indians had everything stolen from then but they created something *before* your English chap that was a variation but had no influence and was not stolen by the English chap and then an Australian guy claimed it as his own? What are you on about?

Edited by expatdude

I looked in the dictionary under 'troll' and I saw a picture of aLLan hASS.

Omigosh, he's dragged me down to his level! I feel so dirty.

Their traditional form? Do they dress up? Indians had everything stolen from then but they created something *before* your English chap that was a variation but had no influence and was not stolen by the English chap and then an Australian guy claimed it as his own? What are you on about?

Allanhass can not be that bright he thinks I am American! You would think being world traveled he would know what an Australian Flag looks like and all those beetroot jokes are going way over his head!

well what kind of cheese we talking about?

Sent from my GT-I9200 using Tapatalk

Hahaha,whichever one it is,I intend to "cut" it.

Allanhass can not be that bright he thinks I am American! You would think being world traveled he would know what an Australian Flag looks like and all those beetroot jokes are going way over his head!

You can beet an egg.........

Hahaha,whichever one it is,I intend to "cut" it.

You can beet an egg.........

But you can't beet a root!qu8apa3a.jpg

But you can't beet a root!qu8apa3a.jpg

Exactly.

Tomatoes came from the Americas.

Imagine Italian food without tomatoes.

Chili peppers came from the Americas.

Imagine Thai food without hot peppers.

Potatoes came from the Americas.

Imagine fish and chips without chips. 

But this is also probably true --

"There is no American food. When we begin to list American foods, either we talk about regional things like lobster or shrimp Creole, or we talk about spaghetti and pizza and hot dogs...One could argue it's what makes us great. The fact that we don't have a cuisine is a measure of our democracy and of our ethnic heterogeneity."

—Sidney Mintz, Anthropologist

http://www.sallybernstein.com/food/cuisines/us/

Newfoundland Clam Chowder? Oops, Newfoundland is Canada.

I see.

Their menu says lasagna.

It is also speaks of a dish backed into an oven! :SoWhat1:

Perhaps we should bake this restaurant.

I see.

Their menu says lasagna.

It is also speaks of a dish backed into an oven! :SoWhat1:

In a German “Backofen” ?

their ≠ there ≠ they’re; theirs ≠ there’s; your ≠ you’re; its ≠ it’s; whose ≠ who’s;

bearback ≠ bareback; loose ≠ lose; too ≠ to; wander ≠ wonder; then ≠ than;

men ≠ man; women ≠ woman; know ≠ now ≠ no; quiet ≠ quite; site ≠ sight;

except ≠ accept; of ≠ 've; waist ≠ waste; sure ≠ shore; etc. (et cetera) ≠ ect.

When did the rib eye go up in price by 100B? what other prices have changed?

When did the rib eye go up in price by 100B? what other prices have changed?

250g black Angus ribeye still 595B .... We did change the cost of a 400g Ribeye from 795 to 895, that was done for a couple of reason but mainly because our business model works best when customer order "2 courses" and most customer ordering 400g steak ate just a single course. The old 200 baht price difference from 250g ---> 400g just covered the actual cost of the extra meat no extra profit, basically we shot ourselves in the foot so had to adjust the price. I hope that makes sense, Patrick's sell black Angus 250g for 895b and beefeaters standard rib eye 645b for 250 so we are still the best value around ..thanks

Just to note this statergy has worked, it helped reduce the amount of LARGE steaks sold & increased the appetiser sales, it means people are also spending more time having dinner & enjoying themselves, maybe even drinking more ! Haha

Edited by China Garden

Ian: Just out of curiosity, when are you going to update the web page to list Steak & Co instead of China Garden as the restaurant?

Went in for lunch today. I stood outside and looked at both menus for a couple of minutes and expected someone to come out and encourage me to come in.

Walked up to and opened the sliding door only to see a group of staff who seemed surprised by presence, no customers inside or out.

I then was warmly greeted and chose to sit outside.

Ordered the Angus rib eye 250 gms + potato wedges and mushroom sauce and then asked to see the wine list, the waitress took the full menu and looked at then ran back inside and returned with the wine list, I chose a carafe of the Cabernet Sauvignon, only carafe I noticed so must come from a box.

She didn't write down my order but did repeat it twice and did so correctly, nice smile and very welcoming lady.

a few minutes later the wine arrived and a small basket containing 4 small slices of bread and some butter, the butter was soon a Liquid, the bread was okay if a little dry, the wine was nice.

About 10 minutes later 2 Russian guys came and sat down outside and this time the staff were alert and came out with menus in seconds.

As an aside customers attract more customers especially in restaurants so I expect commission for my presence LOL

My food arrived quite soon after them, it was well presented but my cutlery set did not have a steak knife, non of the tables place settings did, I decided to try the steak without asking for one and the steak was so tender non was needed.

Although salt and pepper were on the table no offer of mustard which I would have liked but didn't botherto ask for..

Very tasty steak, and perfectly cooked, also the other highlight were the potato wedges, well seasoned but not overly so, crispy on the outside but still firm on the inner - not just mush as so often happens.

The accompanying veg though was soggy and seemed more of a decoration than an accompaniment, the tomato has some sort of cream coloured paste inside that really didn't taste of anything, basil would have been nice.

At this point I really must say, in the interests of fairness, that I am a heavy smoker so any subtle tastes probably elude me.

The mushroom sauce was okay but a tad bland, again taking into account the above proviso, it did go well with the meal thought.

The Russian guys had ordered burgers and fries, they were very well presented and seemingly met with approval by them.

I was now half way through my meal and a waitress offered me, belatedly, a steak knife, I declined as it was not needed.

Finished off with a coffee, nice to have a brown sugar option but no small biscuits, mints or anything else was offered which would have been nice..

Summary:

Daytime service should have steak knives included in the cutlery set, the butter, when served outside could be put inside an ice containing separate dish, extra condiments should be brought even if not used or at the least asked if desired.and a little more attention from the staff at people perusing the menus outside.

Biscuits or similar served with coffee would really have been a nice finishing touch.

The black covered wall with the water running down it, its a feature not a leak, probably looks nice at night with mood lighting but I had to ignore it as it made me want to pee.

Okay those are the very minor negatives along with the veg - but they are minor ones and if I had known about them before I still would have gone.

The positives far outweigh them, once the staff got into gear they were very friendly but most of all the steak was excellent as were the wedges ! and I also liked the chairs, very comfy.

Cabernet Sauvignon carafe (50cl)   400 baht

Black Angus rib eye (250 gms)        595 baht

Coffee                                                60 baht

Total                                                1055 baht

Well worth the money and I will go back again :GoldenSmile1:

• Like 3

In the beginning was the word and the word was "In" :ThumbUp6:

Well whoopdee fucking do.

Go to Swiss.Ive been there.It ain't all that and a fat bag of Doritos.

Yes.Just for you as you are simple.

Go to Swiss please,as it means I won't see you at Steak and Co.

I've been to Swiss and it's basically shit.Simple enough?

I guess you’re not familiar with European cuisine.

Swiss Food on Soi Diamond is a long established restaurant with well trained staff.

It’s clean and cosy and the food is excellent and reasonably priced.

The owner and his son are always present, not directing from 10,000 kilometres away.

If you ever travel around the world you’ll be happy to find a good Swiss restaurant.

I’ve found them at such desolate places as Swaziland, Iguaçu and the Amazon.

There seems to be a Swiss hotel-restaurant in Angeles City too.

As I’ve never visited Oceania or Antarctica, I can’t comment on those remote continents.

Nice Ribeye, hand cut chips and mushroom sauce at home. Went down a treat!

attachicon.gifIMG_20140930_005234.jpg

The mushroom sauce looks as if it’s made with flour instead of cream.

The mushroom sauce looks as if it’s made with flour instead of cream.

Correctamundo!

You know sauce!

Still very tasty...mushrooms are cheap here in Bali but cream costs almost as much as the steak.

What a fantastically rude comment.

Commis is a french term derived from Escoffier's "Brigade de Cuisine," or the French method of managing a kitchen. Roughly translated it means "junior cook," and is traditionally associated with one in training.

Superiors to a commis in a traditional French kitchen would be a Cuisinier, a Chef de Partie, a Sous-Chef de Cuisine, and - of course - the Chef de Cuisine - or "Chef."

So... really? Your experience leads you to believe that the Head Chef is only as talented as someone making a first foray into the world of professional cooking? What are your credentials? All the Chefs I know didn't get that title from working on the internet.

Turning out a quality dish the same way a hundred times a day every day isn't as easy as you seem to think. Less so with a new kitchen and staff. It's hard work and usually underappreciated by folks who can hardly scramble eggs.

I, for one, applaud this establishment and their willingness to take criticism in an effort to learn and grow better and am looking forward to giving them my custom in a couple of weeks.

Robuchon didn't fall from the sky whole - he built his cred brick by brick. I'd have thought most people would get that.

You’re perfectly correct as to the meaning of “commis” and it was exactly that what I meant.

As I am a consumer I needn’t be good at even scrambling eggs.

Correctamundo!

You know sauce!

Still very tasty...mushrooms are cheap here in Bali but cream costs almost as much as the steak.

Fresh whipping cream is about 150 baht per litre at Foodland and Friendship Supermarket.

Wouldnt that be a Demi Commis???  :GoldenSmile1:

Sounds more stylish in French indeed.

To each his own I suppose, but just out of interest. Have you eaten at Steak & Co?

The more I read the less I feel like wasting my precious time and money there.