IGNORED

Steak & Co. in Soi Lengkee (formerly China Garden)

China Garden

Sure hope for ians sake the mods clean this thread up

Sent from my GT-I9200 using Tapatalk

I have to keep reminding myself its a job :GoldenSmile1:
At Babydolls we are serious about fun

babydollsaddict.gif

Sure hope for ians sake the mods clean this thread up

Sent from my GT-I9200 using Tapatalk

Why,there's nothing there that's offensive.

It's factual and on topic.lol.

• Like 2

To the point but couldn't agree more!

Jeff?lol.

This thread is Ian's and he has had no problem with my posts and has benefited a lot from people like me on this thread.

The fact is I was almost buying the place myself so I have more of an interest than most here.

It's funny how your too lazy to post a review but not to lazy to give me crap.

You do like to talk about yourself!

Yes we are very fortunate that you did not buy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my GT-S7560M using Tapatalk

• Like 2

To get back on topic, I was here last week and the food was well cooked, well presented and tasty, served with a smile from good and attentive serving staff. A minor criticism would be that we could not get vodka, but as this is a restaurant and not a bar, so no big deal.

Does what it says on the tin. Will be back.

We are listening ! From tomorrow we have increased our wine list and plan to increase it further, I'm having a few minor modifications made currently which include a wooden central partition to make the feel of the restaurant more cozy, a wooden wine rack / display cabinet so I can hold more wines & some shelves so we can stock top shelf spirits and such like .... its going to take a couple of week to be all up and running but we are listening and responding ! Who knows... maybe a proper Irish Coffee :-)

Red-Wine.jpg

White-Wine.jpg

Edited by China Garden

We are working on our lunch time menu, I will be posting it later this week... our aim is to be open from 12 noon until 23.00pm as soon a possible (within 1 week)

• Like 2

I'm positive that you will be Ian….try to ignore the wank posts, they want to be heard and not seen like the typical trolls they are.

Well done for the Trip Advisor comments and middle finger to all the nay sayers.

• Like 4

for good accommodation at sensible prices located on Soi Chaiyapoon www.englishrosepattaya.com

"Tis better to be silent and thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt"  Abraham Lincoln.

We are listening ! From tomorrow we have increased our wine list and plan to increase it further, I'm having a few minor modifications made currently which include a wooden central partition to make the feel of the restaurant more cozy, a wooden wine rack / display cabinet so I can hold more wines & some shelves so we can stock top shelf spirits and such like .... its going to take a couple of week to be all up and running but we are listening and responding ! Who knows... maybe a proper Irish Coffee :-)

The Cecchi Chianti Classico is good addition, otherwise I find that your house red, The Bodegas Cabernet Merlot stands up well against the rest and at an excellent price point. The whites are much more of  a personal choice and I think the selection is broad enough for the establishment already, unless of course you would care to add an Oyster Bay Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc  :Evil_Grin2:

• Like 1

Anything from the NZ Marlborough range will do you well, I for one am a firm favourite. 

• Like 1

for good accommodation at sensible prices located on Soi Chaiyapoon www.englishrosepattaya.com

"Tis better to be silent and thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt"  Abraham Lincoln.

Ian the house red was a good choice a lot of reviews say it is very nice and well priced.

But get some spirits ASAP! Bottles first shelves later!

Profit on these is the sweetest plum!

Ps How is bidness???

looking forward to trying out your new place, and my first ever Australian RibEye!

glad to see you are up and running Ian!

Well done on the trip advisor reviews. Glad to see things working out. It's been a lot of work so it's well deserved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I will definitely be adding NZ wines! They seem to be all white wines, you must excuse my ignorance, sorry!

OK, I will add the spirits this week ! I'm off to the UK on Sunday for 3 long hard weeks ;-(

Business is great thank you! We will "break-even" this month which considering how quiet Pattaya is and I'm have only been open 5 weeks / 6 hours per day its a real achievement !

When I'm back from the UK we will work on our Christmas Day / New Years Eve Menu, it will be a glorious set menu which people order "from a choice" in-advance!  

Onwards and upwards they say !  

• Like 2

Popped in to Steak &Co last night

I ordered

250 gram ribeye

Side order of potato gratin

Extra side of house salad

Peppercorn sauce

The ribeye was cooked as I asked medium rare

The steak was one of the best I have eaten in Thailand as good if not better than Beefeaters

The potato gratin was just ok the potatoes were undercooked

The house salad was poor far to much dressing( maybe have the dressing separate )

The peppercorn sauce for me was not peppery enough + to salty luckily was served away from the steak

You really need to get some spirits on the menu

I am not a wine or beer drinker

But no big deal

Overall

Pros

Great steak

Great service

Nice looking restaurant

Cons

Side orders let you down

No spirits on the menu

Overall score 7/10

When I want a steak in Patts this is where I will be heading

I spoke to Chef regarding the "salty sauces & lack of flavour", we make our own stock from bones, red wine & vegetable and its reduced, reduced, reduced to concentrate the layers of flavour BUT if reduced too much it can become salty and needs Liquid adding.... It's something I am going to have to ask Chef Gerry to look in to & the level of pepper used.  

The salad dressing is a home-made honey & whole-grain mustard dressing, I will feedback to the Chef's who worked last night that the salad should be lightly tossed in the dressing no more. 

I will have spirits on the menu in the next 2-3 days ! I am very please the beef was cooked perfectly, we are sticking with the same farm & level of beef, there will be no cutting corners ... 

To the owner, a while back I think you posted you planned on doing set menu dinner specials for the more budget oriented. I stopped by and asked the staff about this recently and they told me there was no such offer. So I'm asking is that idea off the table or will it come later?

I spoke to Chef regarding the "salty sauces & lack of flavour", we make our own stock from bones, red wine & vegetable and its reduced, reduced, reduced to concentrate the layers of flavour BUT if reduced too much it can become salty and needs liquid adding.... It's something I am going to have to ask Chef Gerry to look in to & the level of pepper used.

The salad dressing is a home-made honey & whole-grain mustard dressing, I will feedback to the Chef's who worked last night that the salad should be lightly tossed in the dressing no more.

I will have spirits on the menu in the next 2-3 days ! I am very please the beef was cooked perfectly, we are sticking with the same farm & level of beef, there will be no cutting corners ...

The ribeye was very tasty

Easily as good as Beefeaters if not better quality

Who at your price point are your biggest competitor

You have got he most important part right very quickly

Edited by Pheat
  • Like 2

To the owner, a while back I think you posted you planned on doing set menu dinner specials for the more budget oriented. I stopped by and asked the staff about this recently and they told me there was no such offer. So I'm asking is that idea off the table or will it come later?

I have thought about "opening offers" and more budget options in the past BUT the cost of using quality ingredients is so prohibitive that we just cannot offer quality food without compromising too much, particularly with our Imported Black Angus Beef.

However we have a new lunch-time menu coming which will be well-priced, I considered a "2 course" menu at a set price but again found it hard to offer the quality food for which we are fast gaining a reputation for.   We will never price ourselves out of the local market but I think at the Beefeater price-point we can offer some really nice options.

IMG_3768.jpg

Edited by China Garden

OK, thanks for the information.

I had thought you had mentioned before about more than an opening promotion, but more like a set menu special every night. Items different than the menu as it is not only about ingredients but also the chef's skill with any ingredients.

But apparently not. 

I can understand. By offering a cheaper option you would lose some people who would have ordered from the regular menu.

But you also lose a demographic trying to check out the chef's skill, retired people on a limited budget, etc.

Some places try early bird specials or full menu discounts for early dinner, to capture those people. 

Good luck with the lunch. I don't see that place as a place to go for lunch but I guess with an attractive menu and prices, it might work. 

Edited by Kreggerz

OK, thanks for the information.

I had thought you had mentioned before about more than an opening promotion, but more like a set menu special every night. Items different than the menu as it is not only about ingredients but also the chef's skill with any ingredients.

But apparently not. 

I can understand. By offering a cheaper option you would lose some people who would have ordered from the regular menu.

But you also lose a demographic trying to check out the chef's skill, retired people on a limited budget, etc.

Some places try early bird specials or full menu discounts for early dinner, to capture those people. 

Good luck with the lunch. I don't see that place as a place to go for lunch but I guess with an attractive menu and prices, it might work. 

I agree that a good chef can turn everyday ingredients into something special & in Thailand there are lots of domestic vegetable / ingredients which can be bought cheaply, both Chicken & Pork are fairly cheap proteins here. These kinds of dishes maybe find there way on to our lunch-time / Specials board but we want to keep focused on staying a quality Steakhouse first and foremost, our real aim is for special theme nights with "higher end beef"  (Cote de Beouf) cuts rather then using Pork & Chicken etc, we will never use domestic Thai Beef to make cheaper dishes. I have considered other Imported Beef cuts such a Wagyu Rump & Beef cheeks.... perhaps in the future.

Edited by China Garden

I can understand focusing on your strength and business goal  which is steaks.

But now I'm confused again.

Your staff told me clearly there are no specials and now you mention a specials board.

Before here you also said no dinner specials.

If there is a specials board shouldn't that be on display on the street where the menu is so people can consider that when walking by your restaurant?

There is a lot of foot traffic there. I think yes people generally plan on a big expensive steak dinner night out. But people walking by might be attracted by a special in a fancy place like that at a more down to earth price. You might even get walk ins attracted by the special and then just tempted by the wonderful offers on the menu. 

BTW, the pictures of your steaks really do look good. Best of luck with your venture.

Edited by Kreggerz