Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Steak & Co. in Soi Lengkee (formerly China Garden)

China Garden

Visited steak and Co today

Had the 400 gram or 16 oz in real weight ribeye and the hand cut chips or wedges as they are calling them.

I had been running around all day and only had breakfast but struggled to finish it.

Steak was a highpoint really excellent cooked as ordered really flavourful and tender. One of the best steaks I have ever had.

The bread was fine fresh and crusty they have sorted that the veggies and lets face it who cares about veggies were ok nothing really to write home about.

Presentation was fine but I don't subscribe to the you first eat with your eyes school of thought I have made on occasion 50 mile round trips for a salt beef sandwich in a café because they are so good.

Service was excellent and particular kudos to Uire or however you spell it. Who tried hard to solve a lack of horseradish sauce problem shame on you ian. Also had balsamic not "Proper" vinegar for the chips

ambiance décor music level all fine but at the end of the day I came, I saw, I eat a lovely streak and will return.

Highly recommended.

Thank you for the great review, "one of the best steaks you ever had" !!  I'm really please you will return & highly recommend our restaurant.  We do have Heinz Malt vinegar  & Heinz Horseradish, sadly no fresh horseradish although I recently spotted that in Villa @ 400 Baht a root ! I am back on Tuesday, just picking up 300 Burger buns from Astro-pro in Bangers, I will make-up some "condiment baskets", with the different mustards  etc .... often we have the stuff but the staff / Yuri dont actually know the condiment your asking for, sorry about that ... its a cultural thing haha

Edited by China Garden

OK so just 4 days after my original review I find myself writing the follow up, the reason being a friend called me and asked if he was to fly in for 2 days from Singapore would I be available. So there we were on his second day heading for Steak & Co. as he had expressed interest in a steak for dinner.

We walked around during a brief break in the rain showers and were greeted at the door by a lass that remembered me from before. Got ourselves seated with a litre of house red, a very palatable wine for the grand price of about 750baht and got down to ordering. The staff were notably more relaxed than last time, well except for Yuri. My companion ordered wings whilst I ordered crab and avocado, for main course we both ordered the 400 gram filet mignon, so far so good but now we ran into a small hurdle in that my 260 lb friend, along with myself wanted two 'sides'  He was after potato gratin  and veggies along with blue cheese sauce, I wanted the house salad and sauteed mushrooms + pepper sauce, after we convinced the charming lady serving us that we were prepared to pay whatever extra charge there was she finally took our order and repeated it back to us.

Bread arrived and although it looked  the same as the previous times it felt much fresher, perhaps they are cutting as they go rather than preparing the bread baskets before? Starters; no complaint about either, my friend would have prefered a small dish of sauce along with them as they were a touch dry for his taste but that is an individual thing. The crab and avocado had some chopped apple added which gave it a pleasing sharpness. Both were polished off quickly and once the plates had been cleared we were asked if we would like  sorbet, which we did.

Shortly after the sorbet our main course was served, one filet was medium rare and the other medium well done so I was interested to see how it went, as it was they came with small paddles of wood one marked MR and the MWD. After they has served us we became aware that the extra side of veggies was missing. We caught Yuri's eye and pointed it out and the problem was swiftly solved, then my friend decided that he wanted English mustard we tried to explain that to one of the servers who appeared a little confused but solved that problem by calling..................Yuri, again the request was swiftly met.

This was the second time I had ordered filet and did so purposely, again the steak was superb, the sauteed mushroom delicious and the salad crisp and plentiful. We compared our steaks and the decision was that both were cooked to perfection. I should say we each had two steaks, it would seem that they order 200gm filets and if you want the 400gm you get two x 200gm. I see that as another possibility for them to get it wrong but it was not the case as both were excellent. The blue cheese sauce was fine, as was the pepper sauce and the potato gratin was thicker this time around. There was just those two hiccups which were swiftly resolved so did not detract from our meal. at about 1,500 baht each, which included a half liter of wine for each of us, I considered that for us it was good value. When buying australian steak in Villa or foodland it costs me about the same without adding all the bother of cooking,cleaning etc. 

To be honest we both struggled to finish the steaks and on reflection I would order the 200gm in the future. So, they are not there yet but based on this visit alone, leaving aside my previous experiences there, I would give them a solid 8 and the steaks an 8.5.  and yes I will eat there in the future and it will be my goto place when friends come into town and want a steak dinner.

• Like 3

OK so just 4 days after my original review I find myself writing the follow up, the reason being a friend called me and asked if he was to fly in for 2 days from Singapore would I be available. So there we were on his second day heading for Steak & Co. as he had expressed interest in a steak for dinner.

We walked around during a brief break in the rain showers and were greeted at the door by a lass that remembered me from before. Got ourselves seated with a litre of house red, a very palatable wine for the grand price of about 750baht and got down to ordering. The staff were notably more relaxed than last time, well except for Yuri. My companion ordered wings whilst I ordered crab and avocado, for main course we both ordered the 400 gram filet mignon, so far so good but now we ran into a small hurdle in that my 260 lb friend, along with myself wanted two 'sides'  He was after potato gratin  and veggies along with blue cheese sauce, I wanted the house salad and sauteed mushrooms + pepper sauce, after we convinced the charming lady serving us that we were prepared to pay whatever extra charge there was she finally took our order and repeated it back to us.

Bread arrived and although it looked  the same as the previous times it felt much fresher, perhaps they are cutting as they go rather than preparing the bread baskets before? Starters; no complaint about either, my friend would have prefered a small dish of sauce along with them as they were a touch dry for his taste but that is an individual thing. The crab and avocado had some chopped apple added which gave it a pleasing sharpness. Both were polished off quickly and once the plates had been cleared we were asked if we would like  sorbet, which we did.

Shortly after the sorbet our main course was served, one filet was medium rare and the other medium well done so I was interested to see how it went, as it was they came with small paddles of wood one marked MR and the MWD. After they has served us we became aware that the extra side of veggies was missing. We caught Yuri's eye and pointed it out and the problem was swiftly solved, then my friend decided that he wanted English mustard we tried to explain that to one of the servers who appeared a little confused but solved that problem by calling..................Yuri, again the request was swiftly met.

This was the second time I had ordered filet and did so purposely, again the steak was superb, the sauteed mushroom delicious and the salad crisp and plentiful. We compared our steaks and the decision was that both were cooked to perfection. I should say we each had two steaks, it would seem that they order 200gm filets and if you want the 400gm you get two x 200gm. I see that as another possibility for them to get it wrong but it was not the case as both were excellent. The blue cheese sauce was fine, as was the pepper sauce and the potato gratin was thicker this time around. There was just those two hiccups which were swiftly resolved so did not detract from our meal. at about 1,500 baht each, which included a half liter of wine for each of us, I considered that for us it was good value. When buying australian steak in Villa or foodland it costs me about the same without adding all the bother of cooking,cleaning etc. 

To be honest we both struggled to finish the steaks and on reflection I would order the 200gm in the future. So, they are not there yet but based on this visit alone, leaving aside my previous experiences there, I would give them a solid 8 and the steaks an 8.5.  and yes I will eat there in the future and it will be my goto place when friends come into town and want a steak dinner.

"Value for money", that's exactly where we are pitching our business! I am really please with 8.5 and look forward to a 9.5 next time   :GoldenSmile1:  

I will be addressing the condiment problem on Tuesday by making up a few baskets with "everything inside" from mustards to hot sauces....I'm also looking at "onion rings" rather then the veggies on the plate, we get a lot of feedback saying they are "just OK", maybe some beer battered onion rings will go down better ?

I concur with everything Cerberus has said in his latest review.

Having also dined for a second time, finding things went less than perfectly the first visit, I'm very happy to report that this time it was a great dining experience. I opted for the Ribeye this time which was beautifully cooked exactly how I like it. I ordered a sauce but having tasted the steak was reluctant to pour on and detract from it.

It was apahrent the serving staff are now very conscious when taking the orders with a tick sheet type order form and relaying back to you what you've ordered.

So let me take this opportunity to say a big well done to Ian and his staff for persevering to make Steak and Co the success it will undoubtedly be

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I concur with everything Cerberus has said in his latest review.

Having also dined for a second time, finding things went less than perfectly the first visit, I'm very happy to report that this time it was a great dining experience. I opted for the Ribeye this time which was beautifully cooked exactly how I like it. I ordered a sauce but having tasted the steak was reluctant to pour on and detract from it.

It was apahrent the serving staff are now very conscious when taking the orders with a tick sheet type order form and relaying back to you what you've ordered.

So let me take this opportunity to say a big well done to Ian and his staff for persevering to make Steak and Co the success it will undoubtedly be

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

I noticed the waitresses struggling when repeating the order so I made a simple "tick box" sheet for each of the dishes, as the customer orders its a simple tick in the right box and job done, it makes it a lot easier when repeating the order to the customer.

Its also saving a lot of time as they no longer have to the repeat the order to the cashier who in turn places the order with the kitchen, they simply hand over the completed sheet and the cashier who punches the order in to our electronic till & the order prints in the kitchen.  I stole the idea of Margarita Storm in Bangkok !! 

check.jpg

Edited by China Garden
  • Like 2

"Value for money", that's exactly where we are pitching our business! I am really please with 8.5 and look forward to a 9.5 next time   :GoldenSmile1:  

I will be addressing the condiment problem on Tuesday by making up a few baskets with "everything inside" from mustards to hot sauces....I'm also looking at "onion rings" rather then the veggies on the plate, we get a lot of feedback saying they are "just OK", maybe some beer battered onion rings will go down better ?

Please don't drop the veggies, battered and fried anything isn't to hard to find here, properly prepared falang veggies are. Well worth persevering with.

A mate of mine and his lady are heading in tonight to check things out, he has owned 2 restaurants in Oz so should give some decent feedback.

Cheers

Al

Blue Sky Group Ban Chang 0861415944 

https://www.facebook.com/Blue-Sky-Group-Ban-Chang-110095910415280

Please don't drop the veggies, battered and fried anything isn't to hard to find here, properly prepared falang veggies are. Well worth persevering with.

A mate of mine and his lady are heading in tonight to check things out, he has owned 2 restaurants in Oz so should give some decent feedback.

Cheers

Al

We are only talking about the roasted vegetables served as "garnish on the plate", like the roasted tomato. Seasonal vegetable will always be available as the "free side dish" or optional extra at 70 baht.... but I'm just going to take a look at it after some feedback from a few customers, I may for example keep the baby carrots but substitute the turnips & normal carrots for the onion rings ...

I ate in Margarita Storm tonight in Bangers and they served these really nice Jalapeños Onion rings  

check.jpg

• Like 2

Sadly I also tried the "Wagyu Burger"  in Bangkok (not our burger  :GoldenSmile1: ) as I wanted to compare our pre-made patty to their hand-made patty, unfortunately it was basically mush... the fat content in is far to high and the burger breaks apart far to easily.... there was "no firmness" to the patty at all, it wasn't just under cooked / medium rare... it was mush.

I have ordered Wagyu Chuck with the lowest marble score possible & Angus Chuck, it will be delivered Thursday, we will butcher meat then grind it with a possible mixture of Angus & Wagyu, then in to the chiller to firm it up ... we know to aim for 80/20 fat ...

We bought Wagyu mince & Angus mince last week but we were unhappy with the gristle & silver skin that found its way in to the ground mince, we will grind our own meat or not at all ...for now we continue to use the pre-made Wagyu patties which have gotten good feedback.

check.jpg

Edited by China Garden

There are some problems that will never be fixable, I want the veggies and do not want the onion rings, keep those as a side dish  :Evil_Grin2:  My friend wants more sauce on the buffalo wings others want them dry, (that is fixable  by the supply a small dish of extra sauce on the side.

Mainly I want a dining experience which does not demand my having to attract a waitress's attention because something has not been delivered, or is not right. A great dining experience means having good, fresh  food, delivered in a timely fashion in a manner that the service does not interfere with the conversation at the table. That means that 9's are way up there and not easy to achieve  :Whistle: with the Beefeater getting an even 6 from my POV, do not be holding your breath for that 9 sir.

post-38345-0-75909700-1410101135.jpg

This I would have sent back, I should make it abundantly clear that it was not yours Steak & Co

• Like 1

Went last night for the first time so here is my no photo, no nonsense and no bullshit review…..in the words of Gordon Ramsey 

"Fucking Fantastic"

A huge thank you to Gerry, Yuri and the girls for making me feel welcome and leaving very happy.

Cheers.

• Like 1

for good accommodation at sensible prices located on Soi Chaiyapoon www.englishrosepattaya.com

"Tis better to be silent and thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt"  Abraham Lincoln.

There are some problems that will never be fixable, I want the veggies and do not want the onion rings, keep those as a side dish  :Evil_Grin2:  My friend wants more sauce on the buffalo wings others want them dry, (that is fixable  by the supply a small dish of extra sauce on the side.

Mainly I want a dining experience which does not demand my having to attract a waitress's attention because something has not been delivered, or is not right. A great dining experience means having good, fresh  food, delivered in a timely fashion in a manner that the service does not interfere with the conversation at the table. That means that 9's are way up there and not easy to achieve  :Whistle: with the beefeater getting an even 6 from my POV, do not be holding your breath for that 9 sir.

post-38345-0-75909700-1410101135.jpg

This I would have sent back, I should make it abundantly clear that it was not yours Steak & Co

OK, I will look at onion rings as a side dish ;-) 

Went last night for the first time so here is my no photo, no nonsense and no bullshit review…..in the words of Gordon Ramsey 

"Fucking Fantastic"

A huge thank you to Gerry, Yuri and the girls for making me feel welcome and leaving very happy.

Cheers.

I love the review, end of story! 

Cheers

Ian

No one can get passed the Steaks! How about someone take one for the team and try the Ribs or Lamb rack!

No one can get passed the Steaks! How about someone take one for the team and try the Ribs or Lamb rack!

I went in Last night with friends and i had the ribs. My friend had a steak, another had the Chicken breast wrapped in Parma Ham and my girl stuck to Thai food.

I was not impressed with the Ribs and did make a comment to Gerry that i found them dry. I understand this is how they are served in Steak & Co i have had many ribs in town and for me these were not the way i like them, I can not fault the flavor just not the way i like my ribs.  I want the meat falling off the bone plenty of Sauce. 

The steak was perfect and my friend was impressed at how tasty and tender it was, I tried the chicken breast and wish i had chosen that for the meal, Juicy full of flavor, garnished nicely,

My girl left an empty plate so her Meal was good.

Sorry no pictures we were to busy talking and i forgot to get the camera out

Join the party Facebook.com/trianglebar

Totally agree with TB about the way ribs should be.

I note there is chilli on the mains, is it possible to have chili cheese burger? 

Keep up the great work, Ian

Yeah meat has to fall off the bone. Sounds like they are just grilling them without any precooking?

I am surprised because Ian presmoked ribs in a previous venture then finished on The Grill if I recall correctly?

I went in Last night with friends and i had the ribs. My friend had a steak, another had the Chicken breast wrapped in Parma Ham and my girl stuck to Thai food.

I was not impressed with the Ribs and did make a comment to Gerry that i found them dry. I understand this is how they are served in Steak & Co i have had many ribs in town and for me these were not the way i like them, I can not fault the flavor just not the way i like my ribs.  I want the meat falling off the bone plenty of Sauce. 

The steak was perfect and my friend was impressed at how tasty and tender it was, I tried the chicken breast and wish i had chosen that for the meal, Juicy full of flavor, garnished nicely,

My girl left an empty plate so her Meal was good.

Sorry no pictures we were to busy talking and i forgot to get the camera out

Sounds like Gerry is still unable to take feedback onboard...

Sounds like Gerry is still unable to take feedback onboard...

No Gerry did very well at taking the feedback He asked what i thought of them and i was honest. There not the way i like them. He never said to me this is the way we do them. I made that assumption as i would in any restaurant if i order something that i know how i like it and its served differently. 

I couldnt fault the flavor, presentation or any thing else just i like to get my face, hands, and anything in a reachable radius sticky with bbq sauce if i eat ribs and this just was not possible the way these are cooked and served. 

I got what i ordered, i ate it i was full when i left, i was happy but If i want ribs i know to go to Cherry's in future. There not the best i have had but there served the way i like them. 

If i fancy a steak or a burger then Steak&Cois where i will go.

Join the party Facebook.com/trianglebar

BTW they are selling Wagyu beef in foodland now not Kobe forget something like terai.

Snip at 3.3k a kilo I thought and looks good

Some restaurants charge corkage if you bring your own wine what would be the meatage charge :)

My Thai Girlfriend says having a small Dick shouldn’t be a problem in a relationship I still wish she didn’t have one though!

I missed out on Steak & Co on my recent trip but this thread make me so steaky horny...

Back in Indo sourced a reasonably priced chilled Aussie rib eye. Me likey fat content...

What do you guys think of this cut?

IMG_20140910_193318.jpg

Cut, oiled, seasoned then on to my million dollar grill...

IMG_20140910_195949.jpg

Headin' on down to char town!

IMG_20140910_200157.jpg

Finished in my toaster oven (which i love) with thermometer (still a work in progress)

IMG_20140910_200528.jpg

IMG_20140910_201442.jpg

Not gunna win any awards for flavour but none better in Indo!

IMG_20140910_201655.jpg

Will let these rot in the fridge for as long as I can, hopefully 8-10 weeks to get a bit more flavour.

IMG_20140910_204619.jpg

• Like 2

Had Dinner at Steak and Co in Soi Lengkee last night, the company wasn’t the best so I was hoping for a gee up from the restaurant.  I have avoided the place since it opened as wanted it to settle “in” before giving it a try.

Arrived 7PM, probably 4 tables taken, we sat outside because I smoke, I liked the outside when it was a chinky  as the staff can still see you and you are not ignored.  Downside, not the fault of the restaurant,  was the waft of drain from the street, it might put some off, but living here we kind of get used to it.

The waitresses were very pleasant, nto good at English but then the chef has given them a tick list which they go thru with your order and that really works.  Course, sides and cook style plus any notes, all on a checklist that is pre printed so  almost infallible.

I had the Tournedos Rossini  and ordered it medium well which is virtually a crime to fillet steak but I am often underwhelmed with undercooked medium so  order one up here to make sure the meat is cooked. Told the waitress to make sure it wasnt burned EITHER SIDE and ordered a house salad.

Got the Wine list and was a little sad at the very limited choice.  That’s a mistake as you could almost count the total choices on two hands,   and I really fancied chianti, which wasn’t on offer.  They beer selection is good but I and my eating partner both like a few spirits after the meal, the restaurant has NO liquers, NO Spirits.  I think they could change that as there is plenty of room for a top shelf .  Too much wine or beer doesn’t agree with me any more and in the past we have sunk a succession of Grand Marniers or similar at other places to round off the evening.

I Digress.

The food arrived in good time, first thing you notice is the plates are piping hiot, even the under plate on which the sauce dish sits.   That’s a big plus.  My dinner was excellent.  The steak was cooked perfectly and was obviously good quality meat.  The presentation was excellent and the suace ON the platce ( not over the steak thank God) was excellent.  They also supplied a red wine sauce in a boat which was odd as the sauce on the plate was described as a Madeira sauce ( it wasn’t but ti was close and very nice).  Lucky me, I didn’t pour the sauce boat over my food as I tried a little and it was not good, very salty.  Kinda sad as the cook has fingers and should have tasted it when he made it, but knda lucky as it wasn’t already poured and I didn’t have a problem avoiding it.  The house sald was interesting, tasty but also spicey for some reason.  I like a salad as a palate clearer.  I don’t want spicey salad.  You don’t get asked which dressing you want, it comes as it comes.

I haven’t had such a good steak for ages.  Given up on most places and I was really pleasantly surprised.  The cook has it down to a tee.  As said, the whole main plate was perfect 10/10, the salad 8/10 and we will put the gravy down to an oversight.

The Ukrainian "Manuel"  must have seen that we weren’t looking at prices but out to enjoy ourselves, he came to make sure everything was good about 4 times.   Was that over the top?  Not really as the usual is that you see no one and no one cares.. he is obviously paid to care.

My dinner partner had a different dish and he was well impressed too.  Normally a Mcdonalds or Burger King diner.. he managed not to embarrass me which was nice, and even used the cutlery not his mitts

Would I go Back.. Damn right I would.  I think this could become a regular for me.  I don’t take dinner pics because it’s a kinda as naff  a thing to do as taking a “selfie”,   but those u see on the forums do it justice.    BTW the  Toilets were spotless so we can assume the kitchen is too.

Please gets some spirits in, or I will bring my own, but sitting on a terrace drinking from a bottle in a brown paper bag is probably not gonna look good to passers by J

• Like 1

20140910_204620 (Medium).jpgMyself and the GF also had dinner last night. I had the T Bone steak and she had a curry. The establishment is very nicely decorated and looks very good. Service staff were very pleasant and efficient. As a starter I had the breaded mushrooms with a mustard sauce inside.....wonderful! The steak was the best I have had in quite a few years. Grouchos in Amsterdam has been about the best steak that I have ever had, but this one came a very close second. Cooked to perfection and tasted fantastic!!!
The GF also said the curry was very good, but never finished it as she is on a diet....LOL. The 'tick box' system that is in place for the service staff seem to make things a lot easier for them and everything was very good.

Outside afterwards I met Gerry and had a quick chat with him and complimented him on everything. Apparently they were a cook short that night (Wednesday 10th) also. All in all a very good experience and excellent meal. For me, the restaurant is much better than the other establishments at the bottom end of Soi Diana. I highly recommend the place and I will certainly be there many times again starting with when I return next month. For sure I will be highly recommending Steak & Co to my friends. Thanks!!!

Cheers,

FlipperSoi8 (Martin)

• Like 2

I was in a couple of nights ago with a group of friends and was excellent. The service, food and wine well all great. I had the crab and avocado starter, and surf and turf as a main, was too stuffed to try dessert. I really hope this venture takes off as in over 20 years of coming to Patts, this was the best meal I have had here, and I'd like to make this a weekly stop. I used to enjoy China Garden also, but nothing like the standard of this, Well done Ian

• Like 1

I've seen many photos of the steaks here and they look great. Is ther any chance of looking at the French fries or chips that you have with your meal?