IGNORED

Steak & Co. in Soi Lengkee (formerly China Garden)

China Garden

Thank you for the review, I am glad you thought our meat was superior to Beefeaters, we do use superior bread of beef and give a larger 250g Ribeye portion. We are going to re-plate the Surf & Turf tonight, there will be no more unpeeled prawns from now on, the Ribeye will be rolled in a ballotine and sliced at 250g, thus it will be thicker when cut & visually more attractive.

We took your advice of the "hand cut chips" and re-named them "hand cut potato wedges", I have spoken to Chef regarding a fish main course and we agreed once the restaurant is busier we will carry Salmon steak & offer daily specials such as "Catch of the Day" ... but this all work in progress! 

The issue with the sauces poured over part of the steak and a jug of sauce on the side largely related to traditional steak meals such as Au Poivre, Rossini & Diana, these dishes are traditionally are plated with some sauce on the plate & we intend to stick to that, it would be very unusual to have a peppered steak with anything other then peppercorn sauce or Rossini without a Madeira sauce... you may note Beefeaters also do the same. I have adjusted the menu to state the sauce is plated so customers can make an informed decision. 

We have moved the "plain steaks" (un-sauced) to the top of the steak section, so if you want a Ribeye with Red wine sauce (or any other sauce) it will only be served "on the side" never poured over the steak... 

I resized your menu:

Steak & Co menu.jpg

I had never eaten at Beefeaters before today and thought it fair play to compare their meal to Steak & Co's!

The head waitress gave me the evil look for plonking myself on the bench seat, table for six outside, as sarcastically as I could I reassured her that if a party of 6 turned up and 3 pm in afternoon and wish to sit outside I will happily move!  I ordered a coke @ 50B.

Waitress #2 promptly served my coke, menu's and fussed about with the fans for me, I ordered the 200G sirloin medium rare @ 595B, S&C 250G @ the same price.  I found the menu confusing and hard to read, if you wanted a 300G steak you order 2 X 150G steaks, if you wanted a 400G steak you order 2 x 200G steaks  WTF?

I asked waitress #2 for Worcestershire sauce, blank look and goes get head waitress who informs me of what they do have, Worcestershire not being one of them and not a chance of going to 7 for a bottle!

White pepper shaker on the table, big fail for me!  White pepper is for cooking, freshly cracked black pepper is for steak!

Creamy pepper sauce, average pub grub fare.

attachicon.gif20140826_153842.jpg

This potato gratin was the winner of the meal, the right balance of cream and cheese, cooked golden brown.

attachicon.gif20140826_153831.jpg

Looking at the grill marks she had been turned more than once.

attachicon.gif20140826_153757.jpg

The veggies where covered in oil and a bad oil at that!

attachicon.gif20140826_153815.jpg

Borderline tasty cut of meat with no firmness or texture!  I am tipping that it was defrosted!

attachicon.gif20140826_153934.jpg

A cold shrivelled up piece of tomato on a cold plate.

attachicon.gif20140826_153946.jpg

Good marketing putting a business card in the check bin folder.

attachicon.gif20140826_155433.jpg

That means that Beefeater’s has not the least improved since my visit long before the renovation.

Another thing I would like to point out is Beefeater accepts payment by credit card without surcharge. Steak & Co currently does not accept credit card payments. I'm not sure if it's something that is going to be available later on or not. Quite often I am more willing to have expensive meals when I don't have to immediately part with cash. :)

If you buy on credit, you have to pay in the end too.

That is why I always pay cash.

Reviews have proven this restaurant is thoroughly decent.

What Pattaya restaurant do you run or are you just a keyboard bungler?

• Like 2

Decent restaurants bake their own bread.

It keeps the kitchen staff busy.

Nothing is worse than lazy, bored staff.

Buying bread at Makro is for bunglers.

We do buy our bread from a local bakery daily, there's plenty of prep work to keep the chef's busy before service... they definitely are not being lazy, it just makes sense to buy fresh bread locally when there are two superb bakeries within 5 minutes walking distance of our restaurant. 

Edited by China Garden
  • Like 3

Business Cards are done... We are giving the Steak & Co. reservation one in the receipt wallets as suggested , great idea! 

cards.jpg

We do buy our bread from a local bakery daily, there's plenty of prep work to keep the chef's busy before service... they definitely are not being lazy, it just makes sense to buy fresh bread locally when there are two superb bakeries within 5 minutes walking distance of our restaurant.

great reply Ian.

I have 3 racks of St Louis cut ribs in the chiller each marinating in a different dry rub, tomorrow we will be making some home-made BBQ sauces... We are trying out a number of dishes for specials & additions to the menu  

I have 3 racks of St Louis cut ribs in the chiller each marinating in a different dry rub, tomorrow we will be making some home-made BBQ sauces... We are trying out a number of dishes for specials & additions to the menu

You had me at ribs.
  • Like 2

I have read the complete thread and my impression is that that Gerry is probably a great “chef” in England or Scotland, but on the continent he would not even be half a commis.

I have read the complete thread and my impression is that that Gerry is probably a great “chef” in England or Scotland, but on the continent he would not even be half a commis.

Half a commis.?

Sent from my GT-S7560M using Tapatalk

Half a commis.?

On the continent that is.

What is commis.?

From my dictionary: “a junior cook who works in a kitchen”.

I'm looking forward to when Steak & Co is open for lunch and Dinner. Yesterday for lunch, I went to Loaf for a pizza when I could have gone a steak instead.

Edited by malaulker

Instead of just reading the thread, maybe go and visit the restaurant and give us a review!

I had dinner tonight at Steak & Company (formerly China Garden). The interior has been remodeled to a more formal western theme. As the name suggests, it is a meat eaters restaurant, mostly Imported Australian Beef; different cuts of beef, surf & turf, a few pastas, a few pork, rib and chicken dishes, a few Thai dishes, appetizers, salads and desserts. The service was good, the food came out of the kitchen fairly quickly and was cooked as ordered, the presentation was very good and the quality and taste also very good.

Appetizers and salads around 200 baht, streaks start around 550 baht and go up, drink prices about average, no VAT, service at your discretion.

Only fault is the menu is only in English, even the description of the Thai dishes. My Thai girlfriend got frustrated listening to the waitress recommending different menu items that she didn't want, and since she could not read the English menu, she did not order any food = I am in the dog house the rest of the night and she has a headache !!!

:LOL2:

or men's room attendant :GoldenSmile1:

What a fantastically rude comment.

Commis is a french term derived from Escoffier's "Brigade de Cuisine," or the French method of managing a kitchen. Roughly translated it means "junior cook," and is traditionally associated with one in training.

Superiors to a commis in a traditional French kitchen would be a Cuisinier, a Chef de Partie, a Sous-Chef de Cuisine, and - of course - the Chef de Cuisine - or "Chef."

So... really? Your experience leads you to believe that the Head Chef is only as talented as someone making a first foray into the world of professional cooking? What are your credentials? All the Chefs I know didn't get that title from working on the internet.

Turning out a quality dish the same way a hundred times a day every day isn't as easy as you seem to think. Less so with a new kitchen and staff. It's hard work and usually underappreciated by folks who can hardly scramble eggs.

I, for one, applaud this establishment and their willingness to take criticism in an effort to learn and grow better and am looking forward to giving them my custom in a couple of weeks.

Robuchon didn't fall from the sky whole - he built his cred brick by brick. I'd have thought most people would get that.

• Like 3

Wouldnt that be a Demi Commis???  :GoldenSmile1:

• Like 1

My Thai Girlfriend says having a small Dick shouldn’t be a problem in a relationship I still wish she didn’t have one though!

To each his own I suppose, but just out of interest. Have you eaten at Steak & Co?

What a fantastically rude comment.

Commis is a french term derived from Escoffier's "Brigade de Cuisine," or the French method of managing a kitchen. Roughly translated it means "junior cook," and is traditionally associated with one in training.

Superiors to a commis in a traditional French kitchen would be a Cuisinier, a Chef de Partie, a Sous-Chef de Cuisine, and - of course - the Chef de Cuisine - or "Chef."

So... really? Your experience leads you to believe that the Head Chef is only as talented as someone making a first foray into the world of professional cooking? What are your credentials? All the Chefs I know didn't get that title from working on the internet.

Turning out a quality dish the same way a hundred times a day every day isn't as easy as you seem to think. Less so with a new kitchen and staff. It's hard work and usually underappreciated by folks who can hardly scramble eggs.

I, for one, applaud this establishment and their willingness to take criticism in an effort to learn and grow better and am looking forward to giving them my custom in a couple of weeks.

Robuchon didn't fall from the sky whole - he built his cred brick by brick. I'd have thought most people would get that.

Thank you for explaining to Bar Stool, becoming even a good chef requires many years of training, experimentation & repetition not forgetting an amazing palette....

Chef Gerry has all of the above in spades, his pedigree as a Chef is way, way,way beyond reproach.... He has adjust to working & living in Thailand, he has to adjust to the demands of the very International community that calls Pattaya "home", but he has proven in the past few weeks he is able & willing to adjust his cooking style to Thailand, I for one see a very bright future for Chef Gerry & Steak & Co.

Cheers,

Ian 

Edited by China Garden

What a load of crap , so you imply by your post that there are no great chefs in Scotland or the UK , just proves how little you know about good food

• Like 2