IGNORED

Drug resistant superbugs a serious threat worldwide, says WHO

QuotaMan

The chickens have come home to roost...

http://news.msn.com/science-technology/drug-resistant-superbugs-a-serious-threat-worldwide-says-who?ocid=fbmsn

Antibiotic resistance has the potential to affect anyone, of any age, in any country, the U.N.'s World Health Organisation (WHO) said in a report. It is now a major threat to public health and "the implications will be devastating".

"We have a big problem now, and all of the trends indicate the problem is going to get bigger, said Keiji Fukuda, the WHO's assistant director-general for health security.

In its first global report on antibiotic resistance, with data from 114 countries, the WHO said superbugs able to evade event the hardest-hitting antibiotics - a class of drugs called carbapenems - have now been found in all regions of the world.

"The world is headed for a post-antibiotic era, in which common infections and minor injuries which have been treatable for decades can once again kill," Fukuda said.

Drug resistance is driven by the misuse and overuse of antibiotics, which encourages bacteria to develop new ways of overcoming them.

For gonorrhoea, a dangerous sexually-transmitted disease that infects more than a million people across the world every day, antibiotic treatments are failing fast as superbug forms of the bacteria that causes it outpace them.

At least 10 countries - including Austria, Australia, Britain, Canada, France, Japan, Norway, South Africa, Slovenia and Sweden, now report having patients with gonorrhoea that is totally untreatable.

Only a handful of new antibiotics have been developed and brought to market in the past few decades, and it is a race against time to find more as bacterial infections increasingly evolve into "superbugs" resistant to even the most powerful last-resort medicines reserved for extreme cases.

One of the best known superbugs, MRSA, is alone estimated to kill around 19,000 people every year in the United States - far more than HIV and AIDS - and a similar number in Europe.

DRUGS DON'T WORK

The WHO said in some countries, because of resistance, carbapenems now do not work in more than half of people with common hospital-acquired infections caused by a bacteria called K. pneumoniae, such as pneumonia, blood infections, and infections in newborn babies and intensive-care patients.

Resistance to one of the most widely used antibiotics for urinary tract infections caused by E. coli - medicines called fluoroquinolones - is also very widespread, the WHO said.

In the 1980s, when these drugs were first introduced, resistance was virtually zero, according to the WHO report. But now there are countries in many parts of the world where the drugs are ineffective in more than half of patients.

"Unless we take significant actions to improve efforts to prevent infections and also change how we produce, prescribe and use antibiotics, the world will lose more and more of these global public health goods and the implications will be devastating," Fukuda said in a statement.

Laura Piddock, director of the Antibiotic Action campaign group and a professor of microbiology at Britain's Birmingham University, said the world needed to respond as it did to the AIDS crisis of the 1980s.

"Defeating drug resistance will require political will, commitment from all stakeholders and considerable investment in research, surveillance and stewardship programmes," she said.

Jennifer Cohn of the international medical charity Médecins Sans Frontières agreed with the WHO's assessment and confirmed the problem had spread to many corners of the world.

"We see horrendous rates of antibiotic resistance wherever we look in our field operations," she said.

GFE: Gull Friend Experience

Official Pattaya Song

This rumor is going on for a couple of years now. I call bullshit. I had the clap 3x. 1st x it hurt like hell for 6 days, 2nd x was just annoying for 3 days while the 3rd x was just a little itch for a day or 2. So I guess I'm getting resistant to it now :)

This rumor is going on for a couple of years now. I call bullshit. I had the clap 3x. 1st x it hurt like hell for 6 days, 2nd x was just annoying for 3 days while the 3rd x was just a little itch for a day or 2. So I guess I'm getting resistant to it now :)

It's no rumour. The mis-use of antibiotics is made worst by the fact that the big pharma companies are not developing new drugs as it is not economically viable for them.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

Feminazi scare tactics ;)

You need to do more reading as this is not only about sex diseases. I think one of the biggest concerns at the moment are drug resistant infections contracted in hospitals. In the US alone 23000 people die every year as a result of this (source).

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

and there's fluoride in your tap water, pesticides on your vegetables, hormones and antibiotics in your meat, chemtrails, etc. Still I choose not to live in fear :)

Doesn't surprise me when places like Thailand u buy antibiotics over the counter,  this could really be bad news! 

Im sure the people that are unlucky enough to have the untreatable clap wouldn't be so optimistic lol.  

I grew up in a time when children still played outside and didn't wear bicycle helmets and I'm just fine ;)

I grew up in a time when children still played outside and didn't wear bicycle helmets and I'm just fine ;)

I'm not sure about that.

The over prescribing by lazy doctors and those not finishing their course of pills to save money are more often at fault.

If they wanted to slow this down the World health Organisation would ban over the counter sales worldwide, and maybe invest in a long term timed release solution ( one pill or injection that dissolves gradually over 10 days - 2 weeks) so that people do finish their course.

And you only have to read how Members treat themselves whilst in Pats to see how this issue is growing.

I know Guys who self treat just in case WTF is that about.

Just this week a poster asked about a Doctor close to Soi 10 as he felt shit and after 5 different Meds none working then decided to seek help.

It will and has got worse the Years I have worked in the Medical profession and will continue to do so

Ghosty

care to elaborate on that?

Just because You haven't fallen off your bike and hit your head, doesn't mean it can't happen, or maybe you already have and just don't remember it?

Just because You haven't fallen off your bike and hit your head, doesn't mean it can't happen, or maybe you already have and just don't remember it?

Are you sinbad5 ?

I'm not sure about that.

Classic, gold! 555555

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Classic, gold! 555555 Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just keep jumping on the bandwagon and into my ignore list, anymore takers?

Crap job at IGNORING my praise of a funny comment mate!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread is about the increasing resistance of bacteria to antibiotics. Let's stick with the subject matter please.

Just keep jumping on the bandwagon and into my ignore list, anymore takers?

Yes, please.

This thread is about the increasing resistance of bacteria to antibiotics. Let's stick with the subject matter please.

One of the specific reasons cited for the emergence of drug resistant gonorrhoea in Asia is the widespead use by prostitutes of doxycycline as prophylaxis (ie, all the time).

Another point (anecdotal): when I was backpacking around the world we were handed out doxycycline like Smarties as a antimalarial prophylaxis. Going from pace to place, in and out of malaria regions, I was very slack about completing the prescriptions. I wonder how many thousands of backpackers are the same.

Overblown and Inaccurate Gonorrhea 'STD Superbug' Reports

Outline

Circulating reports claim that a new antibiotic-resistant strain of gonorrhea could be deadlier than AIDS and could kill in a matter of days.

Brief Analysis

HO41, the strain of gonorrhea referenced in the reports, is real but it has not been detected since a case in Japan several years ago.  The strain has not spread to the United States via Hawaii as claimed and health experts have disputed suggestions that it may be deadlier than AIDS.  The reports exaggerate the risk posed by the strain and contain inaccurate information.  Reposting them is therefore counterproductive. Nevertheless, the threat of drug resistant gonorrhea remains a significant concern for health authorities in the US and elsewhere.

Example

New STD superbug may be deadlier than AIDS; kills in a matter of days

There is a new sexually transmitted superbug that experts say may be more deadly that AIDS. According to a CNBC report, an antibiotic-resistant strain of gonorrhea is more aggressive than the HIV virus, which means the potential to infect the public will be greater.

std-super-bug-report-1.jpg

Detailed Analysis

Since May 2013, various news reports about a supposed gonorrhea "superbug" have been circulating via social media and blog posts. The reports discuss a supposed STD superbug - HO41, a strain of gonorrhea  - that is resistant to antibiotics, and quote a medical "expert" as warning that the strain could be deadlier than AIDS and kill in a matter of days. Some of the reports originally claimed that the superbug has been found in Hawaii and California.

HO41 is a real strain of gonorrhea and it is indeed resistant to antibiotics.  However, the claims about HO41 in the circulating reports are misleading and inaccurate.

Firstly, HO41 has not made its way to the United States as claimed.  Initial media reports making that claim were wrong.  A May 6 2013 NBC News report noted:

Several media outlets, including The Associated Press, last week reported that a rare strain of gonorrhea known as HO41 had been detected in Hawaii. That would have raised alarms nationwide, signaling the first domestic sign of a strain that's been found to be resistant to ceftriaxone, an injectable antibiotic that is the last-resort treatment for the sexually transmitted infection.

But the Hawaii cases, first discovered in May 2011, were actually a different strain, H11S8, resistant to a different drug, the antibiotic azithromycin, state health officials confirmed. That’s been a known problem for a while, Workowski added. The AP later withdrew the inaccurate report.

In fact, HO41 has not been detected anywhere in the world since 2009, when a Japanese sex worker was found to have the strain. There have been a small number of other gonorrhea cases around the world that have been resistant to ceftriaxone, but they were not HO41 cases.

Secondly, the rather breathless claims in the reports that the strain is "deadlier than AIDS" and "could kill in days" has been disputed. Those claims reportedly originate from one Alan Christianson, "a doctor of naturopathic medicine". But other health experts have given a more measured response to the issue.  A May 2012 Live Science article noted:

…. some experts called the comparison hyperbolic.

"I disagree with the general comparison," said Dr. Bruce Hirsch, an attending physician in infectious diseases at North Shore University Hospital in Manhasset, N.Y.

"The rate of complications from gonorrhea in terms of systemic problems is so much lower than the rate of complications from untreated AIDS infection," Hirsch said.

The CNBC article says that this particular strain of gonorrhea "might put someone into septic shock and death in a matter of days." But Hirsch said that the rate of life-threatening complications, such as sepsis, from gonorrhea, is about 1 percent, while the rate of death from untreated AIDS is 98 percent.

"At this point in time, AIDS is a fatal infection," while gonorrhea patients very rarely die from the condition, said Dr. Carlos del Rio, chair of the Global Health Department at Emory University's Rollins School of Public Health. However, both experts stressed that antibiotic-resistant gonorrhea was a very serious problem. "There really is no reason to compare it to anything else," del Rio said.

The misleading reports prompted the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to publish the following statement:

Recent Press Coverage about Drug Resistant Gonorrhea

May 8, 2013

Several recent news stories reporting cases of the H041 strain of gonorrhea in the United States are inaccurate. The H041 strain referenced in many of these news articles refer to a case detected in Japan several years ago. The H041 strain has not been detected since then, and was never reported in the United States.

CDC is, however, concerned about the threat of drug resistant gonorrhea and continues to raise awareness on this important public health issue, but it is critical to remember that currently-recommended treatment regimens remain effective in the United States.

For information about gonorrhea and recommended treatment regimens, please see CDC’s fact sheet on the topic:
Adobe PDF file.

Sharing these misleading and inaccurate reports is counterproductive. But, as the CDC report notes, antibiotic resistant gonorrhea is a threat of real concern to health authorities. Which makes it even more important that information published by media outlets regarding the issue is accurate and up-to-date.

Rocco69 has won the debate  :Finger5:

Overblown and Inaccurate Gonorrhea 'STD Superbug' Reports

Outline

Circulating reports claim that a new antibiotic-resistant strain of gonorrhea could be deadlier than AIDS and could kill in a matter of days.

Rocco69 has won the debate  :Finger5:

This is not what is being discussed here. This is obviously complete crap as it is a claim that a gonorrhea strain is deadlier than AIDS and kills in days. My warning will also extend to people posting in a manner intended to derail the discussion.

^ How do you figure that you "won", Rocco? The only point being made by the OP and on this thread is that antibiotics are becoming less effective against infections; a point your sources agree on.

Today I am feeling Naughty

Here you go Sinbad

gloves 1.jpg

Here you go Rocco

gloves 2.jpg

OK Gents Ding Ding lets go

glove 3.jpg

gloce 4.jpg

:hello09::LOL2: :LOL2: :LOL2: :LOL2:

Ghosty

Archived