IGNORED

Open a Thai Bank account

skullangel

A few weeks ago went to Kasikorn branch in beach road, only passport and rental contract for the house was needed, no problem.

and what kind of visa are you on?

and what kind of visa are you on?

Visa on arrival, 30 days.

I also had my Thai wife with me and was "properly" dressed, no idea if that made a difference.

Visa on arrival, 30 days.

I also had my Thai wife with me and was "properly" dressed, no idea if that made a difference.

That's encouraging. It seemed that from posts elsewhere in the forum that the law had changed and was being pretty

well rigidly enforced. 

That's encouraging. It seemed that from posts elsewhere in the forum that the law had changed and was being pretty

well rigidly enforced. 

There is a big thread about this in a German forum and recently some guys reported problems due to this new law. Other guys however said it was possible without problems, one guy said that he needed to bring a Thai "bondsman".

It looks like every bank and every branch handles it different, u might maybe just a few shots to get your account. Good luck, let us know what came out :wink:

There is a big thread about this in a German forum and recently some guys reported problems due to this new law. Other guys however said it was possible without problems, one guy said that he needed to bring a Thai "bondsman".

It looks like every bank and every branch handles it different, u might maybe just a few shots to get your account. Good luck, let us know what came out :wink:

Will do. Success or otherwise, I'll endeavour to report back on what happens.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi , the visa i HAD WAS THE 1 MONTH VISA ON ARRIVAL ,  They just seemed to look at my photo ID page of my passport . In answer to the earlier  post about bringing a Thai national 2 the bank , I did not and was not asked .

Just my passport , drivers licence and hotel receipt  was all I required 

I tried on K bank at central road on March, they asked me to and get a paper form immigration to prove that I have a place to stay in Thailand.

I didn't do it but will try again on next month. I have one year non immigrant O visa.

o visa requires 800,000 baht in thai account.

how the hell do you get the bank account without the visa?

if i enter on a tourist visa,

can i go to embassy get letter of income of 65,000 a month

then apply for o visa?

I'm an American and opened my K-bank account at the central plaza on the 4th floor.the only thing I needed was my passport and I used the hotel card for my address.I opened it with 2500 baht.very nice people there.I opened it within the last year.good luck .

the new onerous requirements our govt created went into effect since you opened your account.  thai banks are no refusing to open new accts for americans... same with most other countries now.

big brother wants ALL our money.

The new "law" is the FACTA and it will definitely result in many banks refusing to open accounts for Americans, as well as some banks forcing the closure of existing accounts held by Americans. I am waiting for the bad news with regards to my existing two bank accounts. The law goes into effect July of 2014.

The US government has lost it's collective mind and the rest of the world needs to stand up and say "F%#& OFF!" Hopefully, they will finally get the message and starting using their brains again (can you see the look of doubt on my face?) These ignorant laws do nothing productive and cause endless grief for everyone except the accountants and the lawyers. Much more stupidity and I will be forced to dump my citizenship.

never before in history have so many americans been renouncing their citizenship, or saying they would like to.

I would like to.  

never before in history have so many americans been renouncing their citizenship, or saying they would like to.

I would like to.  

I was signing up for a account with Citi bank in Singapore and they wanted me to sign a W-8BEN form for the US IRS and I'm not even an American. Needless to say I refused (and I did not get the account)

• 4 months later...

I opened a Kbank account yesterday, all it took was my passport and 17 minutes if my time. Easy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

...I'm going Pattaya in December, which branch, please?

o visa requires 800,000 baht in thai account.

how the hell do you get the bank account without the visa?

if i enter on a tourist visa,

can i go to embassy get letter of income of 65,000 a month

then apply for o visa?

...something amiss with this post

...something amiss with this post

got an O visa September 1st with embassy affidavit of income of over 65,000 baht

12 month retirement extension 

Archived