IGNORED

Open a Thai Bank account

skullangel

On my last trip to Thailand ( March, 2014), I try to open up a Thai bank account at K-Bank.  My friend told me I just need my passport.  When I got there, they say they have change the rule.  In order to open an account, you have to purchase property.  But she also mention, I could go to Jomtien and get a notary to side step this.  Have anybody done this before?  Any advice would be appreciated.

I opened my account at KBank on 2nd Rd about 9 mths ago.

Passport and hotel address and that was it.

Seems very hit and miss, some people have no dramas and others get hassled left right and centre.

And can vary from branch to branch.  If you get flack at the first try, take a walk down the street and try again. 

I had no problems opening up at KBank using the large branch next to TukCom.

Some branch refused , some would , just bring your passport and condo or hotel address with you and shop around and see if they accept you Or If you don't have an address, ask your mate or someone you know that have address in thailand .

I had heard recently that falangs cannot open accounts unless they are on retirement visa. 

I did mine back in Jan. 

Regards, Atlas.

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

There seems to be some problems for people from USA, don`t understand this but there have been many comments on different threads already.  If you are from any other country then just try another bank or another branch of the same bank!  I know several people that have recently opened accounts with different banks and no problems.  Some banks will open account with 30 day visa waiver and letter from hotel for address, some want longer visa but you will always find one that will do it for you.  The staff are usually on a bonus for opening accounts in Thailand!!

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

I intend to open a K band account in 2 weeks time.  I'm hoping my condo address and tourist visa stamp with be enough.

My Pattaya budget is perfectly adequate as long as I don't spend any of it

There seems to be some problems for people from USA, don`t understand this but there have been many comments on different threads already.

The issue for Americans is their government has imposed new world-wide reporting rules (something to do with alleged tax avoidance I believe); hence some places are just "banning" Americans rather than put up with all the new paperwork. Americans are having problems opening accounts in Europe as well as Thailand for example.

I opened a Kbank account yesterday, all it took was my passport and 17 minutes if my time. Easy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I opened a Kbank account yesterday, all it took was my passport and 17 minutes if my time. Easy

Just for reference - which branch?

Just for reference - which branch?

It was in Chiang Rai.

always open a bank account in a shopping mall so you will have access to banking services on most weekends & holidays

:GoldenSmile1: .

I'm an American and opened my K-bank account at the central plaza on the 4th floor.the only thing I needed was my passport and I used the hotel card for my address.I opened it with 2500 baht.very nice people there.I opened it within the last year.good luck .

I opened a bank account with a 15 days visa (border run) without any hassle. This was in Ubon ratchathani though.

The issue for Americans is their government has imposed new world-wide reporting rules (something to do with alleged tax avoidance I believe); hence some places are just "banning" Americans rather than put up with all the new paperwork. Americans are having problems opening accounts in Europe as well as Thailand for example.

The new "law" is the FACTA and it will definitely result in many banks refusing to open accounts for Americans, as well as some banks forcing the closure of existing accounts held by Americans. I am waiting for the bad news with regards to my existing two bank accounts. The law goes into effect July of 2014.

The US government has lost it's collective mind and the rest of the world needs to stand up and say "F%#& OFF!" Hopefully, they will finally get the message and starting using their brains again (can you see the look of doubt on my face?) These ignorant laws do nothing productive and cause endless grief for everyone except the accountants and the lawyers. Much more stupidity and I will be forced to dump my citizenship.

I opened a K bank account a few years back with ease, however have never been able to use online in the UK, many trips I visit my opening branch, in fact they recognize me now, we go through the motions, I can log into the account while in LOS but as soon as I log on in the UK access is denied. It has done me a favour in some respect, the exchange rate is crap compared to bringing sterling exchanging at a booth and depositing at the bank. Another advantage is the money I bring this way is untraceable.

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding K bank .I went to 2 branches , 1 in central plaza and 1 in Soi Buakaow,in April this year. At both they said the rules changed in February 2014, U now need a retirement  visa or a work visa , 

My G F said to try her bank  Bangkok Bank ,The Blue Bank, I went to the branch in Soi Buakaow , I had to produce my passport , a drivers licence for extra photo I D , I used my New Zealand licence , and a receipt from my hotel, 300 Thai baht  for the money card , all done .

I told the manager at my hotel as he had had other people turned down at K bank. Latter that day at least 1 couple from the hotel,  Hotel Dania  in Soi Buakaow, had opened an account.

At the Soi Buakaow   Branch the staff were very friendly and helpful.

Regarding K bank .I went to 2 branches , 1 in central plaza and 1 in Soi Buakaow,in April this year. At both they said the rules changed in February 2014, U now need a retirement  visa or a work visa , 

My G F said to try her bank  Bangkok Bank ,The Blue Bank, I went to the branch in Soi Buakaow , I had to produce my passport , a drivers licence for extra photo I D , I used my New Zealand licence , and a receipt from my hotel, 300 Thai baht  for the money card , all done .

I told the manager at my hotel as he had had other people turned down at K bank. Latter that day at least 1 couple from the hotel,  Hotel Dania  in Soi Buakaow, had opened an account.

At the Soi Buakaow   Branch the staff were very friendly and helpful.

What sort of visa do you have?

What sort of visa do you have?

I did mine 2 years ago 30 day of Arrival no Visa

I did mine 2 years ago 30 day of Arrival no Visa

Am pretty sure that the other thread where this matter is being discussed stated that they have now (ie only in the last few days) stopped people on short stay visas from opening accounts at all. 

Bit of a bummer really if true. I was going to open an account for my trip next month.

Am pretty sure that the other thread where this matter is being discussed stated that they have now (ie only in the last few days) stopped people on short stay visas from opening accounts at all. 

Bit of a bummer really if true. I was going to open an account for my trip next month.

Yes that could be right I cannot help you Sir.I opened mine took my passport that had the 30 day card, name of hotel and room number.Also Thai mobile number.No problems put 5000 baht in when I got my card went out the front and withdrew 4500 baht no problem.Then I got a call from the bank I had given them the wrong email address but they would have to change it at the bank not over the phone. Went back to next morning,I had left 3 dights off my email,they changed it I had to sign never had a problem since.K Bank Pattaya Klang

If you do not have work permit,you can open an account at Bangkok bank.

But you need to bring one Thai people with an ID card and a copy of household registration. (to confirm that you are not going to do a money laundering)

My friend did it at Bangkok bank and no problem at all.

Hope this would be help,

A few weeks ago went to Kasikorn branch in beach road, only passport and rental contract for the house was needed, no problem.

Archived