IGNORED

Rosetta Stone Thai Language course

FatBob

I bought a Rosetta Stone language course when I was in Pattaya and have just started to look thru it. When I have learned languages in the past it has been from books with course work and translations but Rosetta stone works differently from that, there is no translation but just pictures and audio and believe it or not it makes it easier to pick up the language. Anybody wanting one should get their ass up to TukCom, they got the Thai course their for 150 baht, I bought 2 dvd's with 26 languages on them for 800 baht, which I thought was a bargin as one of those language courses in my country is £126. Anybody else tried these courses and had success in learning?

FatBob.

Edited by FatBob

I sent the club a wire stating, PLEASE ACCEPT MY RESIGNATION. I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT ME AS A MEMBER.

Military intelligence is a contradiction in terms.

Groucho Marx

hey is there a similar program in Thai to learn English. Would love for my teelak to improve her english.

hey is there a similar program in Thai to learn English. Would love for my teelak to improve her english.

There are some really cool books written in Thai, for all levels at any book shop in Thailand. They are usually pretty cheap too. I would suggest one that comes with tapes or CD's.

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

Rosetta Stone do have the same course in English...... English (British)

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

where is tukcom :P

Near Thai farmers Bank (Tell the taxi "Gasikorn Thai, Pattaya Tai") on South Pattaya Rd, although most of them will know tukcom anyway.

Edited by Dr.Winston O'Boogie

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

where is tukcom :Blah2:

Close to the Pattaya Tai Soi Buckaow junction.

FatBob.

DSCF0644_800x600.jpg

I sent the club a wire stating, PLEASE ACCEPT MY RESIGNATION. I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT ME AS A MEMBER.

Military intelligence is a contradiction in terms.

Groucho Marx

I'm tempted to start learning to read thai, this last week i've started writing out the alphabet each day. I've found that its quite easy to remember characters (if you already know some thai) based on the fact most of the chracters have a meaning associated, like "ki" = chicken etc etc.

I've started to able to see a little how words are pronounced just from doing this, I still have miles and miles to go though :Party1:

I have started using pimsleurs thai and it seems to be ok, i have litterally only just started tho so my thai is still very basic.

but i did meet a grp of thai nurses when i was out a few weeks ago and i was able to ( i hope ) impress them with my thai. it was quite strange really coz i have never tried to pick up a thai girl outside of thailand and i was with a few mates who are all pretty good looking guys but when they tried out their lines they just got the loser stare.

i walked over to the grp and just said sawasdi krup ( sorry bout the spelling) which imediately after id said it i regretted it but they liked it and i ended up having a great night with the whole grp dancing etc and i even managed to get one of them into my bed...........all thanks to my thai lessons heheh.

ALTHOUGH I DO NOT AGREE WITH WHAT YOU HAVE SAID SIR I WOULD DEFEND TO THE DEATH YOUR RIGHT TO SAY IT.

NICE TO BE NICE SUPPORTER ADD THIS TO YOU SIGGY TO SHOW SUPPORT FOR THE IDEA THAT STARTED THIS FORUM

Most thai people that aren't working in bars love it that why try with their langauge, as thailand is the only place that speaks it and.... we sound like idiots which makes them laugh and thai's love laughing :P

• 2 years later...

Do you think my gf will be able to buy a copy in Pantip in BKK?

RAZZ

• 2 weeks later...

Do you think my gf will be able to buy a copy in Pantip in BKK?

RAZZ

Yes, they have it at Pantip as well.

You can download the latest version and 26 languages for FREE from the internet. Plenty of places that have Hotfile, Rapidshare, Fileserv or Torrent links.

One of the Chinese teachers here in Pattaya uses it to improve her English and uses the Mandarin to teach Chinese in her classes.

• 2 weeks later...

I have started using pimsleurs thai and it seems to be ok, i have litterally only just started tho so my thai is still very basic.

but i did meet a grp of thai nurses when i was out a few weeks ago and i was able to ( i hope ) impress them with my thai. it was quite strange really coz i have never tried to pick up a thai girl outside of thailand and i was with a few mates who are all pretty good looking guys but when they tried out their lines they just got the loser stare.

i walked over to the grp and just said sawasdi krup ( sorry bout the spelling) which imediately after id said it i regretted it but they liked it and i ended up having a great night with the whole grp dancing etc and i even managed to get one of them into my bed...........all thanks to my thai lessons heheh.

You should be the salesman for the Pimsleur Thai course. Haha, stories like this would sell tons of cd's!

I've tried Rosetta Stone and Primsluer. I found Rosetta Stone easy to follow, but what was being taught was mostly not useful for traveling to Thailand. Primsluer on the other hand was much more useful to start conversations in bars, restaurants, etc.

I would recommend starting with the Primsluer CDs and then maybe expanding with Rosetta Stone from there.

I have seen Rosetta stonehear in the UK if I remember rightly it was about £500.00

Dave

Near Thai farmers Bank (Tell the taxi "Gasikorn Thai, Pattaya Tai") on South Pattaya Rd, although most of them will know tukcom anyway.

Thai Farmers’ Bank has become Kasikorn Bank (the “green” bank) for several years already.

I'm tempted to start learning to read thai, this last week i've started writing out the alphabet each day. I've found that its quite easy to remember characters (if you already know some thai) based on the fact most of the chracters have a meaning associated, like "ki" = chicken etc etc.

I've started to able to see a little how words are pronounced just from doing this, I still have miles and miles to go though :Party1:

IMO ki = shit; gai = chicken.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a Rosetta Stone language course when I was in Pattaya and have just started to look thru it. When I have learned languages in the past it has been from books with course work and translations but Rosetta stone works differently from that, there is no translation but just pictures and audio and believe it or not it makes it easier to pick up the language. Anybody wanting one should get their ass up to TukCom, they got the Thai course their for 150 baht, I bought 2 dvd's with 26 languages on them for 800 baht, which I thought was a bargin as one of those language courses in my country is £126. Anybody else tried these courses and had success in learning?

FatBob.

can you tell me where in tuk com went today and looked in bookshop on grould floor but they did not have any rstone.cheers

Rosetta Stone in the US. Just a heads up. Many town libraries have free Rosetta Stone online to their members. All you have to do is join

FatBob.

I used Rosetta Stone for Mandarin. Honestly, I didn't think it was very good. I also took a class w/ a teacher for 2hrs/week which was more helpful. I really didn't start learning until I moved to China and was immersed in the culture.

• 3 weeks later...

can you tell me where in tuk com went today and looked in bookshop on grould floor but they did not have any rstone.cheers

Look where they sell DVD’s (original or not), at the 3rd floor of TukCom I think.

• 5 weeks later...

You can download the latest version and 26 languages for FREE from the internet. Plenty of places that have Hotfile, Rapidshare, Fileserv or Torrent links.

One of the Chinese teachers here in Pattaya uses it to improve her English and uses the Mandarin to teach Chinese in her classes.

I've looked, but I can't find anywhere that has the free Rossetta Stone downloads - can you give me a couple of websites you are referring to.

Thanks

"We do not stop playing because we grow old - we grow old because we stop playing"

"A man can be happy with any woman as long as he does not love her" Oscar Wilde