IGNORED

Getting to LOS in one piece, tips for surviving the flight

chuckrivera

heres a couple tips :

when you check in if there is a big line up for the economy class, just go to the business class counter and ask how much for an upgrade , after they give you the rediculous upgrade price ( sometimes its ok and i do it ! ) tell them no thanks and be nice , 90% of the they will check you in economy but in the business counter so you dont need to wait .

when boarding i always wait to get on last . that way if there are empty rows or better seats you have your pick !! Let everyone else rush to their crappy seats

Also I like my airlines like my women. ASIAN !! american, canadian, and english airlines have shit service, and most of the staff have a piss poor attitude

--------------------

"Hey love crusader I want to be your space invader "

I like my airlines like my women...ASIAN! good one!

• 1 month later...

I know there is a thread with airline websites, but didn't see a thread for frequent flyers, so here goes. This is mainly for newbies and those that don't fly often, but is still useful info for everybody.

I'm only 28, but I caught the travel bug at a young age, so I have been flying on my own for about 15 years. I have averaged over 50,000 miles per year for the last few years. I fly through Asia at least twice a year, not counting domestic trips I take, and that mileage really starts to add up after a while.

If I am paying for the ticket, I only fly economy because I'm a cheap bastard, but do use the occasional mileage upgrade to business class. I know there are other BMs that fly to LOS many more times a year than I do. If you only fly once a year, you might not think the miles mean anything, but trust me, they mean quite a bit. One round trip can range from 9,000 miles from Sydney, 12,000 miles from London, or 15,000 from the US and everything in-between.

I've taken 99% of my flights on one airline so my knowledge is limited to my personal experience with that airline only.

What airline loyalty program do you belong to, and how do you like it? Please post links if you have any.

Your first flight to BKK is an experience in itself, lasting about 9.5 hours from Oz, 12 hrs from the UK, or like me, 21 hours in the air from the US not counting layovers. Unless you are a really deep sleeper, cabin fever starts to set in about halfway through the flight.

What are some of your tips for staying sane and comfortable throughout the flight, and what are your must-have items for during the flight?

Before you fly...

As for me, I fly United pretty much exclusively, and have been a Premier Executive (middle of three tiers of eliteness) member of their loyalty program, Mileage Plus, for many years. Being an elite level member offers bonus miles for most flights and other perks (mainly for me Economy Plus seating and I get to check in at the First or Business counter even if on a economy ticket, and the occasional free upgrade). I also have a United Mileage Plus Visa that accrues miles.

United is a member of Star Alliance, comprised of 20 airlines serving most of the world. So as a Mileage Plus member, I can accrue basic miles on any Star Alliance member airline and vice versa. Award seats from North America to Asia start at 60,000 FFM plus tax and fees. Cost from your home may vary. From my location, with my bonuses, three paid round trips to BKK = one free round trip to anywhere in Asia. Can't beat that with a stick now can you?

http://www.United.com

http://www.StarAlliance.com

I am also a member of a frequent flyer forum similar to this one. I have found many good tips there.

http://www.flyertalk.com

If you are new to flying, or new to a particular airline, you can check here to see the seat layouts on their planes before you buy your ticket.

http://www.seatguru.com

If you're a fatass like me and wonder what kind of food you'll be served on your flight, check here.

http://www.airlinemeals.net/

FYI, I usually request a vegetarian or Kosher meal. I've had some pretty shady meals on my flights, and those two usually aren't as hard on my stomach; plus you get served before everybody else. biggrin.gif You'll have to request this when you purchase your ticket; asking at the gate or on the plane may be to late.

Joining the loyalty program is free, and if you have booked your first flight but are not a member yet, I urge you to sign up with your respective airline BEFORE you fly. To my knowledge, they will not award mileage for flights taken before you joined.

Packing...

We all take trips of various lengths, so adjust according to your situation. If at all possible, I try not to check a bag when I fly. The airline can't lose your bag if it is with you the entire flight. That being said, I know it isn't feasible to pack two or three months worth of stuff in a carry-on and a backpack, so bag checking tips are in the "At the airport" section.

Know the rules on what you can carry-on and what you can't. Sad fact of life is that some items just can't be brought on-board anymore. The link here is for the TSA and applies to the US only. I'm sure your respective country has a similar department, and maybe a helpful BM can find the link for those.

http://www.tsa.dhs.gov/travelers/index.shtm

I have been able to pack for trips three to four weeks in length with only a carry-on and a backpack. Now I know I might pack a little lighter than some other people, but that's just to show you it is possible. Laundry is dirt cheap, and you can buy most things that you will need while you are there.

My standard packing includes five-six pairs of shorts, two pairs of sandals, one pair of underwear for each day of my trip, a half dozen pair of socks and as many t-shirts a I have room for. I don't bring any long pants or long sleeve shirts, but that is just me.

I also bring all the standard toiletries. If you are going to check your bags, make sure you have a small tube of toothpaste and a toothbrush with you, just in case you get stuck at the airport somewhere.

My backpack has all my electronic equipment, laptop, camera, ipod, etc. some snacks (salty and sweet are good) and a book or two to read. I bring one pair of athletic shoes, but I wear them instead of packing to save space.

Those are the basics that I bring every trip. Anything else is up to you. One side benefit of not checking bags is being able to check in online and head straight for your gate.

I also have a list of must have items for every long flight I take. I keep most of these items in my pockets so I don't have to go rooting around in my bag for them mid-flight.

1) Sunglasses to block out some of the light.

2) earPlane earplugs help to equalize the change in pressure during take-off and landing. May be just a placebo effect, but I swear by them.

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp...amp;catid=50311

3) Sleeping pills. I use Ambien CR at home, but I like the original Ambien for flying.

4) Earplugs for sleeping and drowning out the baby thats crying RIGHT BESIDE ME! I love kids, just not when I'm flying.

5) Neck pillow, inflatable or stuffed, up to you. I have used both.

6) Chewing gum, to get the ass taste out of your mouth upon waking, and also helps with ear pressure problems.

7) Eye-drops cause I wear contacts.

8) iPod

9) Shure SE420 noise blocking headphones. Freaking expensive, but worth every penny.

http://shure.com/PersonalAudio/Products/Ea...odels/index.htm

10) One of those little menthol nasal inhalers. Sell in Patts for about 15 Baht, or about $1 in the US.

11) A pen, to fill out your immigration arrival card (fill it out on the plane cause if it isn't filled out when you get to the head of the immigration line, you'll have to fill it out and go to the back of the line, DOH!) It's also handy for doing the Sudoku or crosswords in the airplane magazine, but be prepared to share it with the many people that didn't read this thread and don't have their own.

12) Oh, and I almost forgot, Gas-x, cuz you really don't want to be "that guy."

At the airport...

Most of us have been through an airport before, and know how big of a headache it can become. Here are some things I've learned over the years. I always eat a light meal before I leave the house. Airport food isn't the greatest and is relatively expensive. I'll usually eat something like a club sandwich and some fruit.

I try to get to the airport at least two hours before my flight. Yeah, I end up waiting most of it, but it beats missing your flight. At the counter, smile and be nice to the agent. Yes, some will be rude, but it really pays to be nice (you'll see why later). If checking bags, make sure they are checked through to your final destination. Look on the luggage tag to see the three letter airport code and make sure it is where you are headed (BKK woo hoo!). Can't think of a worse start to a trip than arriving in Bangkok and finding out your bag is Bangladesh. In the US, we have TSA approved locks for checked bags. I always use one, and I add a plastic zip-tie to be doubly sure no one will be in my bag without my knowing about it. Brightly colored ones work well for me as they are not easily replaced like a plain colored one may be.

After checking your bags, head for the security checkpoint. Security screening in most countries has gotten much tighter over last few years, so be prepared to wait in line (aren't you glad you got here early). Have your passport and boarding pass out before you get to the guard and take all metallic objects out of you pockets and put them in your backpack. Most airports require you to take any liquids, your laptop and camcorder out of your bag to be screened separately. Some make you take your shoes off, some don't. There will be plenty of signs telling you what is required so take the time to read them as you are waiting in line. If you get pulled aside for a more thorough screening, stay calm. I have had it happen to me before more than once, and every time they had a legitimate reason. Remember you're at their mercy, so bend over and take it. Getting mad is not going to help anybody and if you have nothing illegal on you, you should have nothing to worry about. Most of the time they are just doing their job.

By the time you get through the checkpoint, you should have about 60-90 minutes left before your flight. Go take a final dump, browse the newsstand for any last minute items and then head to your gate. As you can't bring bottled water from home anymore, I always pick up one bottle of water for every three-four hours of the flight.

Even though I already have my boarding pass, I always make a point of talking to the gate agent (remember to be nice). Usually, I'll ask a few questions and make a little small talk. The reason I do this is so the agent remembers me in the event anything happens (flight cancellations and such).

On one flight a few years ago (IAD-NRT), we were getting ready to board when the gate agent announces that the flight is overbooked, and we will have to wait for some people to give up their seats before the plane can take off (cue mass grumbling and cursing). I went to the agent again, asking how many people we were waiting on, and she told me they were full in business and overbooked in economy, but that they had seats available in first. Before you ask, I didn't get a seat in first, but she did remember me and that I had Elite status. She found another Elite member in business, bumped him to first, and gave me his seat in business, freeing up a seat in economy. Neither of us asked for it and I'm sure he appreciated it as much as I did. I don't know what the company line on giving free upgrades is, so I like to think it was because I was nice to her from the beginning.

On the plane...

Most airlines board by class, then by seating area. I'm always in the first group for economy. I don't care too much about getting in the seat the fastest as all you do is wait in there anyways, but I do like to get my pick of the luggage compartments. I always get one right above me or in front of me. If you are one of the last boarders, you may not have as much choice where you put your bags, but if you have a choice, always stow your bag in front of where you're sitting, even if it isn't near you. Anybody that has flown before can tell you it is damn near impossible to move towards the back of the plane as 400 people are trying to deplane.

Before I'm seated, I put one bottle of water, a bag of snacks, a book, my iPod and my sunglasses in the seatback in front of me. After that, strap in, and prepare to be bored.

The time of day your flight leaves will determine what time the meal service is. I usually ask the gate attendant (remember her?) how long into the flight it is. If it is within the first few hours of the flight, I try to stay awake until then. After eating, I walk around the plane for a few minutes, use the restroom and pop a sleeping pill. If you're lucky you won't be awakened by the person next to you, or someone bumping into you in the aisle. Even with the sleeping pill, it's hard for me to sleep more than three-four hours at a time.

The rest of my time I kill with my laptop, loaded with a bunch of movies, my book, or the in-flight entertainment. Depending on how friendly the person next to me is, I will try and make some small talk. I have actually picked up some clients this way, and it can help pass the time.

I try to stay hydrated the entire flight. I bring a few single serving lemonade drink mixes with me for a little sugar. The sugar and salt from the snacks will help you retain a little bit of water during the flight as the recirculated air can be pretty dehydrating. As I have said before, airline food can be pretty hit or miss, so if you're like me and don't like to go hungry for very long, be sure to bring enough to keep you satisfied.

Before you know it, the captain will be announcing your arrival. See, it wasn't so bad was it?

This is probably the longest post I'll ever write, and I hope it helps the members here. Feel free to add your own tips and advice and also ask any questions you have; I'm sure another BM will have the answer or be able to point you in the right direction. If you are new to the site or international flying, don't be scared to ask; there are no stupid questions as we've all been there before. No flaming newbie questions please, and if you don't have anything constructive to offer, I'd rather you not post here at all.

Thanks everybody and have a great flight!

thanks CR - great, thorough post.

You're right about finding an airline and alliance that you like and stick with it. The frequent flyer benefits give you a lot more options, and I've found a lot more respect and help from the staff when they see the couple hundred thousand miles I've logged come up on their computer screen. I've been flying NWA/KLM for the last 10 years as I work in Africa and travel to the states 3-4x/year, so I've benefited from lots of free flights, and now it serves me for going to LOS. I was able to fly to LOS from AMS for $75 last year!

For finding some peace and quiet, I use Bose noise canceling headphones even when I'm not listening to music; I'll turn them upside and I can sleep just fine with them on. They are incredible at canceling out the constant (at least you hope it is constant) engine noise, and as a result I find that I am much less fatigued after long trips. Try them, you won't believe how much noise was going on before you flip the switch. The combination of the headphones and an iPod give you a lot more options for the music or movies you are able to enjoy.

For sleeping, I'll pop the sleeping pill just after the first meal, and often find myself just waking up as we approach the gate. I use Ambien and don't feel any groggy or dazed aftereffects. I don't think I would use them though for anything less than an 8 hour flight.

Your exactly right about chatting up the desk agents - if your friendly, most of them will be too. They must suffer an incredible amount of arrogant AO's, and so are happy to help you if you show them some interest, consideration and respect.

I'm not sure how you get away with just your carry-on as the restrictions on size and weight are becoming more confusing and onerous, especially since some airlines are limiting carry-on to 12 kilos and have started weighing carry-on. I use my carry-on bag to put in a change of clothes and my laptop, and the few toiletries that aren't considered liquids. As for the liquid BS, I found if I just leave the few small bottles I have in the carry-on and don't say anything, they never, ever, seem to see it on the x-ray scanner. Makes me wonder what the hell they do see?

I found a great Canon backpack for carrying my DSLR, extra lenses, pocket cams, digital camcorder, iPods, external HDs, batteries and connector cables. It's compact and I don't have to worry if on a small plane they want to check the carry-on bag. I won't let my electronics out of my sight; way too much investment there (probably worth more than the cost of the trip).

Flying definitely isn't fun anymore, but with some planning it can at least be bearable, and leave you in fine shape for your first shag with hours of landing.

cheers

GREAT POST!!!!

Having flown a few million miles, I agree with what you posted.

I do have a couple of comments and additions.

Before you fly....

The suggestion you made about staying hydrated during flight should also be the this section.

Start two days before the trip and drink more water than you normally do.

Prepare your sleep pattern / allowance well in advance.

Traveling east is in particular tough, i.e. US to EU or EU to Asia.

In case of a time change of 4-6 hours try to adjust your bed time slowly starting a week before departure, i.e. getting up 1/2 hr earlier every day.

Depending on the time of your departure, this may just bring you a bit closer to sleep time when you depart.

If traveling from the US where the time change can be 12 hours, it is though no matter what you do.

Some adjustment can be done, but maybe better deprive yourself of some sleep before the trip so that you are very tired at the time of departure.

This will not work for all as some will never get a lick of sleep on the plane no matter what (see sleeping on the plane later)

Seat assignment.

Have your seat assigned as soon as possible.

It is certain (I think) that you either fancy an isle or a window seat.

As suggested look a SeatGuro to find your favorites

Packing...

Just want to emphasize that packing light and carrying all on board can save much hassle later.

Aside from laundry being cheap in LOS, so is buying more clothes.

If you do have to check luggage make sure to pack ALL valuables and medication in your carry-on

Also, at the least, carry-on clothes to wear the first day

If you have a very long journey with a midpoint, change clothes for that point (at least socks and underwear)

I like chuckrivera's packing list, but personally I bring a full size pillow (as dorky as it may look); good for window seating.

If you plan to carry your luggage on board, be mindful of the limits for liquids.

You may have to leave you gallon KY at home and buy a new one in LOS.

At the Airport...

If you have a long layover at an airport, especially after a long haul flight, remember that showers may be available.

Also if you have a long layover and otherwise do no have access to an airline lounge, day passes are available for a fee.

During flight ....

This is probably the toughest part to discuss as there ate different opinions and options.

Some can sleep on flights and some cannot (or think they cannot).

Ideally you should keep the hydration process that you started 2 days earlier, drink little alcohol, eat light (or not at all) and sleep as much as possible.

Personally I can only stick to so many rules.

I do well on the hydration part.

I often eat a full "no-no" dinner in flight.

I generally have one or two of the single servings of wine

I try to get as much sleep as possible.

The sleep brings me to taking sleeping aids.

I cannot stretch enough that you should see your physician for advise and an appropriate prescription

Personally my issue has not been the ability to sleep on the plane, but falling asleep.

I was prescribed a low dose of Xanax which I take in conjunction with 3mg of Melatonin (over the counter in the US)

That cocktail (water, meds and wine) usually puts me to sleep 9-11 hours on the flight

After you arrive...

Try to get into the normal routine as soon as possible.

If you arrive in the morning or afternoon, DO NOT take a nap.

Come normal sleep time if your body clock makes you fully awake, take something to help you sleep.

Hey Chuck,

Thanks for putting this thread together. Like you, I fly United a lot and am a Premiere Elite. I am a big fan of the Economy Plus seating, and it seems that even when regular economy is packed solid, there are usually openings in E.P. Of note, as well, is that P.E. allows 3 free checked bags vice 1 for straight stick travelers. I realize that many do not want to check bags, but for me, I prefer them to handle my big bag(s). To each his own.

I stopped requesting the Kosher meals after my November trip to LOS. Simply, because it was obviously pre-frozen, and tasted unsatisfactory. I find United's meal service to be quite good, otherwise. I also fly, American, Delta and Southwest frequently, and can honestly say that United's is the best of the 4.

Most airline's frequent flyer programs will allow you to request a "mileage credit" for flights earned up to 30 days in the past. It is not always offered, and much easier to have your number registered at check-in, but it is an option in case.

For those like me that have multiple F/F accounts, there is a website called points.com that allows you to shift miles (and hotel rewards points, etc.) from one account to another, as well as cash miles in on giftcards, and such. It is worth a check if you are in a similar situation as me.

Personally, I always enjoy a sm. bottle or 2 or 3 of the complementary cheap red wine on offer. It is decent tasting, and allows me to relax and rest without needing pills. Plus, it is free on trans-oceanic flights which is a big plus for a cheap charlie, such as myself.

Regarding which F/F programs are the best/worst. I would have to give United high marks, as long as you can book 6-7 months in advance, and do not change your itinerary. I paid $47.10 (like you) for my trip to LOS this Sept (w/ 60K miles). Hard to match that. IMHO, American Airlines F/F program is a distant second. It is easy to use, but does not offer free flights to BKK or MNL (it does offer flights to POP, however). IMHO, Delta, Southwest and Airtran F/F programs are bollocks, YMMV.

See you in Patts this Sept/Oct.

Cheers,

Strike

Very nice thread.

If I had only time to do one thing, it would be grabbing nasal spray.

couple of mine...

Feet. I either wear my sandals or shoes that slip on and off easy. Good at security check points too. I keep a pair of very heavy socks in my carry on and an extra pair to change back into before landing. (no slippers in coach) Wet wipes for a quick foot bath in the lavatory.

Cleanliness. A must for the carry on and your seat back are packets of anti-bacterial wet wipes / towelettes. Planes are dirty places and keeping the hands clean is a good thing and a face wipe is refreshing. The wet wipes could also be your savior in the lavatory if your bowels decide to revolt. An anti-diarrheal should already be in your carry on basic drugs kit.

Drugs. I see a number mentioned here, but no halcion. (triazolam) I have had excellent results with it with less grogginess waking and very fast acting.

Food. The liquid thing is fucked up, but leaving your departure country you can pretty much put whatever kind of food in your carry on. Beef jerky and high fiber cereal bars and my top choices. I keep forgetting to pack an instant noodle bowl or two as the flight attendants have hot water.

Chills. A light weight stocking cap is great to have if you get a cold cabin. Also, dressing in layers of course.

I've probably done over 200 long-haul international flight segments (that's 2 each time I go to Thailand and 2 each time I return) and I am always comfortable because of these habits.

1. Buy water at the airport or bring a bottle and fill it. The flight attendants won't let you become dehydrated, but sometimes it's easier to reach for you own.

2. Bring some of my own food to supplement the food offered inflight. For me, usually that means a high protein brand of some sort.

3. Melatonin and/or Ambien.

4. Hand sanitizer.

5. Sweat pants, t-shirt and loosely tied athletic shoes.

6. Hand lotion!!! This is a big one as airplane air is extremely dry, especially older planes like the 747s. 777s are better, but coming from the US eat coast to Tokyo is 13-14 hours and even in a 777, my hands feel leathery. Not just any cream will do. It should have Vitamin E and be a "non-greasy" formula.

7. Take extra fish oil pills and Vitamin E for the 3-5 days prior to flight to reduce skin dryness, in keeping with the need to suffer less, in line with #6 above.

8. Always have more to do than you need. I bring 2 books, and iPod and my laptop, which is only good for about 2 hours without a battery anyway.

:Good_Luck:

I travel a lot between US (west coast) and EU, so here is my contribution:

1. When booking your ticket and choosing your seat, check the aircraft as the value of the seat greatly depends on it! Check seatguru.com if you're not familiar with aircraft. Sure the aircraft may change later, but it does not happen often. This is more important for long flights, which in US are typically use either Boeing 747-400, or 777-300ER. The difference may be dramatic - for example, sitting on 30A (exit row seat) on 777-300ER is completely different experience than sitting on 50A (also exit row) on the same airplane because of door layout (you feel squeezed). A window seat on 777-300 is worse than a window seat on 747-400 due to equipment box below the seat, which prevents you from fully extending your legs.

2. If you prefer window seat, guess where the sun is going to be during your flight (it depends on time of the day and the direction you fly). Choose the window seat on the opposite side. While you can close the window, it still will get hot.

3. If you can, book an exit row seat. You can always switch with someone else. Much harder the opposite way.

4. Make sure you get a jacket in your carry-on. Especially if you're in a window seat. A must in 747-400 exit row. You WILL freeze otherwise, and a single blanket won't help (in fact, one jacket may not be enough, get extra t-shirt).

5. To avoid paying crazy airport prices for water (sure I'm cheap, but $4 for a bottle of regular water???) bring an EMPTY Coke bottle, and fill it up AFTER you pass security check-in. Yes, you can bring an empty bottle through - the prohibition is about liquids, not bottles.

6. Avoid drinking heavily the night before the flight, and get some sleep. Flying only makes it worse. If you feel great before 20hr flight, you'll feel like crap after it. But if you feel like crap before, you'll regret every minute of it.

7. Get good prescription sleeping pills. I use Lunesta. Ask your doctor, tell him/her that you need it for trans-Atlantic/trans-Pacific flights. It is much stronger than regular sleep aid stuff, and last two years I typically find myself sleeping the whole 10-11 hour flight from Amsterdam to San Francisco.

8. Contrary to what others have said, I never eat in plane unless I got upgraded to First/Business. I also drink very little water - a 330ml Coke bottle of water is all I need for 10hr flight. This helps with sleeping in the plane, and you don't need to go to restroom that often (if at all). Some people are also taking Aspirin to prevent blood clogs.

FatNemesis had one of my favorites, at least for short haul, sit on the side away from the sun. Especially when flying North-South. Long haul doesn't matter so much because the windows are always closed.

I always have a pack of bubblegum with me. Good for cotton mouth but more importantly, good for the little kid that starts crying when the pressure changes. It fixes their ears and cheers them up at the same time. If you travel with children, it is a must. Get the bubble kind because blowing the bubbles helps. I've never had anything but thanks from parents. Happy children can be entertaining to fly with, unhappy ones can ruin it for a lot of people.

Always travel in loose shorts, slip on shoes and a t shirt. The only time I got burned on this was waiting to get the bus from the plane to the terminal in Frankfurt when it was snowing. It was pretty funny but it was only a few minutes and I didn't spend 10 hours trying to get comfortable in a bunch of heavy clothes.

Baggage is an all or nothing proposition. If you or your companions have to check a bag, check everything. You have to go to baggage claim anyway. You won't be burdened during layovers with a bunch of useless junk to lug around. Carry only your valuables and the stuff you intend to use on the plane. Keep your carry on small and light so you can move in the airport and not have to lug a heavy bag to the other terminal. This can also let you pass a lot of people on the way to the Immigration counter. You also get more room for shopping if you happen to be going through DXB.

If you are flying with someone, short haul, book the aisle seat and the window seat. Others will avoid choosing the middle if they can. For long haul, book seats across the aisle from each other. Flying solo, take an Aisle seat where the window seat has been booked as a solo. Same deal, people will try and avoid the middle.

If you are a nervous flyer, book a seat on the wing, it is the part of the plane that moves the least.

Never book the last seat in the back, the reclining function may be limited.

I have to agree with the no booze crowd. Getting hammered before getting on the plane is a big mistake because by the time you land, you will have a hangover. You will also be dehydrated and irritable. It's the Land of Smiles, be prepared to wear one.

For the US resident long haulers, join the GOES program. https://goes-app.cbp.dhs.gov/ No lines at Immigration and preferred lines at Customs. $100 for 5 years but after being on a plane for 17 hours, an hour in Immigration is torture.

Great info. here. I've flown between the USA-BKK 7 times now and twice from China. I bought a traveler's vest here for only $20 it several has secured pockets for passport, wallet, coins etc. I advise men flying into the US to wear a white long-sleeve dress shirt, dark trousers, and dress shoes. Why? My first trip to US after moving to BKK US Customs pulled everyone coming from a SE Asian airport into a separate queue. About 6 of us in the queue I was wearing the white dress shirt and the agents didn't go through my bags as they did to the others dressed in shorts etc.

Onboard I take a Ziplok bag with a toothbrush and paste, tissue, pain reliever, antacid, lipbalm etc. It's a good idea to use Ziploc bags for toiletries and other items too. Also I have earplugs, an eyemask and neck pillow. I take dormicum, valium or xanax when available or melatonin with wine after the meal is served to help go to sleep. I bring an MP3 player and load language mp3's to review the language. (In-Flight Thai has many useful phrases) I'm not much of a reader but I like to do the crossword in the flight magazine. I use seatguru.com to research the aircraft seating then assign my seat with the airline-I like aft port side aisle seats for long flights. On my next trip to the USA I'll bring a towel to use a blanket.

If you are carrying a notebook I suggest creating an encrypted folder or hide it for naughty photos/vids and sensitive data. I use Free Hide Folder to hide naughty vids. Also I put all my passwords into a Word doc with a password.

If anyone is traveling to Mainland China I suggest avoiding China Southern Airlines because they fly through Guongzhou. It's a good airline but the airport sucks. All passengers must claim their luggage then go through another security checkpoint. For those with tight connections it's easy to miss the flight.

I am surprised BM footypjman has not posted yet! 5 5 5 5

He has recently turned me to methods on flying business from US to Thailand for free (practically). The method is legit and is working itself out for me as we speak.

Looking through OP's post it seems like OP may not be participating in the lucrative free miles offer by the US credit card market. OP might do well to have some quick PM with footypjman.

Here are some additional resources:

https://awardwallet.com/

https://awardnexus.com/

http://seatexpert.com/

http://www.farecompare.com/products/

http://www.evreward.com/

Using Credit Card Offers to Construct a Free Dream Trip Quickly

On prior trips, I took the bulk of my money (about 2/3) in cash.  I used to take the other 1/3 in traveler's checks, but now I have an ATM card the refunds all service fees and does not charge a foreign transaction fee (with Schwab), so I expect to use that for maybe 1/2 to 2/3 of my money this next trip.  

LOTS of posts on here about the safety of hotel safes (no pun intended).  Knock on wood, I haven't had an issue, so I keep my money in the safe and take out a few bills to exchange each day.

Crisp 100s are easiest to exchange; the rates drop substantially for lower denomination bills.

Even though I keep going back to Pattaya, I have yet to take the time to open a bank account.  My trips are typically very short (10 days or less), and it's just as easy for me to use that fee-free ATM card.  If, however, I was going for 3+ weeks, I would seriously look into opening and funding a Thai bank account.

Just my 2 cents....I'm sure others' opinions/advice may vary

BTW, if you want info on the Schwab account, send me a PM and I'll send you a link.  I do NOT get any kind of referral fee -- I just think it's a great deal for U.S. residents who travel abroad.

http://www.schwab.com/public/schwab/banking_lending/checking_account

You have to open an investment account in order to get the checking, but no investment required (I keep $25 in mine).  

Also, you will link you primary bank account to the investment account, then transfer the money over to the checking account -- you can't transfer directly into the checking account.

Let me know if you have any questions

Folks, these are simply AWESOME posts that I've found to be extremely valuable, and I appreciate each of you for sharing!  Thank you.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.  THANK YOU!

Now, as per traveling is concerned, my only question that remains (for now, at least), is whether I should fly Qatar Airways or pay $7 more, to fly Air China.

--

"The elevator to success is out-of-order—you will need to labor up the stairs." -- MJ DeMarco

Folks, these are simply AWESOME posts that I've found to be extremely valuable, and I appreciate each of you for sharing!  Thank you.

Now, as per traveling is concerned, my only question that remains (for now, at least), is whether I should fly Qatar Airways or pay $7 more, to fly Air China.

I haven't flown either, but Qatar has a much better reputation among International airlines -- I'm not saying Air China is bad; simply saying Qatar is on a bunch of "top 10 airlines" lists.  

Which has the shorter duration/layover?  That'd be a big factor for me (although I also try to avoid extremely short layovers -- I prefer about 1:45 to 2 hours).

2ready, awfully nice of your to cite and acknowledge the posts that have been helpful to you, so I for one am glad I wrote it.

• 5 weeks later...

Very informative thread. I manage to pack light each time I travel, but I've got my packing down pretty well. Roll t-shirts, stuff socks or underwear in your shoes, don't bring too many clothes because you can always do laundry there.

Identify your bags. Do you have a black bag? So does everyone else. Put some neon tape on a couple sides of the bag, or some colored yarn. And I always keep a copy of my passport (photocopy) inside my bag. And make sure you Name and Phone # are on the bag somewhere. As one poster mentioned, with intl travel, good to stick a copy of your travel itinerary in one of the outside pockets of your checked bag(s).

When booking your flight, if you can help it, avoid using a third party website to book your flight. The prices on those sites are not any cheaper than an airline's website. Those sites are just compiling every possible carrier that flies between the two cities you select. Like many posters are saying, try to stick with one airline (who is part of an alliance) and gain some airline miles and status. The US has three alliances, Star Alliance, OneWorld, and Sky Team (they all have their own websites).

For those suggesting to get airline credit cards, I will say that you can earn lots of miles that way, but all of those cards have high APRs, so us them responsibly...

In my opinion, being comfortable on the airplane is almost 75% mental, and 25% physical (for economy anyway). We all know sitting in economy sucks, that's why there are two or three classes on these long haul planes. Might as well suck it up and enjoy the ride. If drinking a little alcohol eases your stress, then so be it. I personally don't like to drink alcohol while flying. Will drink water and ask for juice on occasion. Also, if you are having an upset stomach, ask for ginger ale or coke withOUT ice. Most of you probably are not aware, but the #1 medical incident that occurs on airplanes is fainting. So stay hydrated!

I usually bring some snacks on the plane. I have trouble sleeping and I don't take sleeping pills, but if they work for you, that's awesome. I try to bring energy bars, a mixture or nuts/candy, and definitely gum. As many mentioned, a saline solution nose spray is a must. My nose gets really dry and I use the spray a few times on the ride. Although contrary to what some of you might think, the air in the cabin is recycled with outside air about every 30 minutes. Still doesn't seem to help!

Also take hand lotion (if you've stayed at a hotel recently, take the small bottle). I have plenty of music on my iPhone, and usually just watch whatever movies the airline is offering (I figure a boring movie might put me to sleep anyway). I've brought sani-wipes for a couple reasons. 1) to wipe down my seat before I get settled in and 2) to "freshen" up in the lav (after a #2 and/or before landing). I also have my deodorant too so I apply before landing as well. I usually don't use a toothbrush, but definitely mouthwash.

As far as seat choice, that varies depending on who you ask. I'm an aisle guy myself. I know some people like the window seat so they can lean against the side of the plane.

Sorry this post was long, I will probably think of many more things to add. I am an airline employee, and I DO recommend that you be as nice as possible to airline staff. "Please" and "thank you" go a long way. And just a tip, while you might be "checking out" the flight attendants working your flight, they're also "sizing" you out as well (i.e. if you are loud, obnoxious, rude, demanding, etc. you will probably receive worse service).

Also, if you get hungry on a flight (after you've had the meal service) all the airlines *should* have some sort of snack station set up in the aft galley. I know Thai Airways will give you ramen noodles if you ask.

And on another note, for my fellow American travelers, United has stopped service from SEA-NRT (their Tokyo hub) so I'm not sure if they're going to slowly decrease their Asia presence (heard a rumor they are stopping their BKK route, but again, just a rumor). I've also heard that Delta is trying to fly more routes to Asia, as well as American Airlines. So we'll see. Like almost all of you, I prefer to fly on Thai Airways, but I can't pass up my company benefit discounts... :)

Very informative thread. I manage to pack light each time I travel, but I've got my packing down pretty well. Roll t-shirts, stuff socks or underwear in your shoes, don't bring too many clothes because you can always do laundry there.

Identify your bags. Do you have a black bag? So does everyone else. Put some neon tape on a couple sides of the bag, or some colored yarn. And I always keep a copy of my passport (photocopy) inside my bag. And make sure you Name and Phone # are on the bag somewhere. As one poster mentioned, with intl travel, good to stick a copy of your travel itinerary in one of the outside pockets of your checked bag(s).

When booking your flight, if you can help it, avoid using a third party website to book your flight. The prices on those sites are not any cheaper than an airline's website. Those sites are just compiling every possible carrier that flies between the two cities you select. Like many posters are saying, try to stick with one airline (who is part of an alliance) and gain some airline miles and status. The US has three alliances, Star Alliance, OneWorld, and Sky Team (they all have their own websites).

For those suggesting to get airline credit cards, I will say that you can earn lots of miles that way, but all of those cards have high APRs, so us them responsibly...

In my opinion, being comfortable on the airplane is almost 75% mental, and 25% physical (for economy anyway). We all know sitting in economy sucks, that's why there are two or three classes on these long haul planes. Might as well suck it up and enjoy the ride. If drinking a little alcohol eases your stress, then so be it. I personally don't like to drink alcohol while flying. Will drink water and ask for juice on occasion. Also, if you are having an upset stomach, ask for ginger ale or coke withOUT ice. Most of you probably are not aware, but the #1 medical incident that occurs on airplanes is fainting. So stay hydrated!

I usually bring some snacks on the plane. I have trouble sleeping and I don't take sleeping pills, but if they work for you, that's awesome. I try to bring energy bars, a mixture or nuts/candy, and definitely gum. As many mentioned, a saline solution nose spray is a must. My nose gets really dry and I use the spray a few times on the ride. Although contrary to what some of you might think, the air in the cabin is recycled with outside air about every 30 minutes. Still doesn't seem to help!

Also take hand lotion (if you've stayed at a hotel recently, take the small bottle). I have plenty of music on my iPhone, and usually just watch whatever movies the airline is offering (I figure a boring movie might put me to sleep anyway). I've brought sani-wipes for a couple reasons. 1) to wipe down my seat before I get settled in and 2) to "freshen" up in the lav (after a #2 and/or before landing). I also have my deodorant too so I apply before landing as well. I usually don't use a toothbrush, but definitely mouthwash.

As far as seat choice, that varies depending on who you ask. I'm an aisle guy myself. I know some people like the window seat so they can lean against the side of the plane.

Sorry this post was long, I will probably think of many more things to add. I am an airline employee, and I DO recommend that you be as nice as possible to airline staff. "Please" and "thank you" go a long way. And just a tip, while you might be "checking out" the flight attendants working your flight, they're also "sizing" you out as well (i.e. if you are loud, obnoxious, rude, demanding, etc. you will probably receive worse service).

Also, if you get hungry on a flight (after you've had the meal service) all the airlines *should* have some sort of snack station set up in the aft galley. I know Thai Airways will give you ramen noodles if you ask.

And on another note, for my fellow American travelers, United has stopped service from SEA-NRT (their Tokyo hub) so I'm not sure if they're going to slowly decrease their Asia presence (heard a rumor they are stopping their BKK route, but again, just a rumor). I've also heard that Delta is trying to fly more routes to Asia, as well as American Airlines. So we'll see. Like almost all of you, I prefer to fly on Thai Airways, but I can't pass up my company benefit discounts... :)

A lot of good pointers.

I put my deodorant stick in my carry on bag because after 20+ hours of traveling, I start to smell not too fresh.

I agree flying is mostly mental, but once I got a taste of the business class bug, it is so hard to go back to economy class.  It's a whole another world in terms of flying comfort and saving your mental sanity. I know it probably strikes many as a waste of money especially if your business class ticket is not an upgrade or someone else pays for it (your company for example), but to me it's worth forking over the extra cash. It definitely makes flying back home much easier.

GFE: Gull Friend Experience

Official Pattaya Song

Hope you do not mind me "steeling" this advise to add to this page on my site: http://boomboomme.com/thailand/newbie/preparing.htm#Packing

Accessable on this site using this link: The Ultimate Newbie Guide to Thailand, then click Travel & Planing

(heard a rumor they are stopping their BKK route, but again, just a rumor)

Not a rumor, but ANA code-share will be the ticket.

jbeeb -- a lot of great tips there!

QuoatMan -- check out this travel atomizer -- http://www.fragrancenet.com/perfume-travel-atomizer-fragrance//mens-fragrances/mf/en_US/22927?mv_pc=gawus_pla_g&utm_source=google&utm_medium=pla&utm_campaign=g&gclid=CLLMht6GrrwCFUXZQgodsQgA3w

It is about the size of a tube of chapstick (just a little thicker).  It gives you a good 3 day supply of cologne, meets airline standards and is INCREDIBLY easy to fill (you take off the nozzle on your spray bottle of cologne, line up the stem to the little "entry point" at the bottom of the atomizer and then press it down about 5-8 times).  

I give these out to friends all the time, and they've all said they're great.  I pack one in my carry-on and 2 or 3 in my checked bag to cover my whole trip.  

Tip: if you want to take different types of cologne, buy the atomizers in multiple colors, so you can tell them apart.

In addition to being sold online, they're always available at that perfume store in outlet malls, and I snagged one at CVS once (they only had 1 left in stock).

Thanks guys. Yeah, steal any tips you want.

And I do agree, if you can afford do book a business class ticket, it is soooo worth it.

• 3 weeks later...

A little late to the party, but just wanted to thank all of you for the great info. When the long awaited day finally comes, I know I'll be well prepared due to this site

you are kidding, right???

air china sucks. 

amazing OP, kudos for the effort!!!

Edited by daddee...

From my house to Pattaya takes about 30 hours. Sleeping pills, Advil, and cliff bars are essential. At times I've left Colorado in snow storms and arrived in BKK and it's 90F warmer. The first few days really fuck with my body and mind. I can't wait!

• 1 year later...

10) One of those little menthol nasal inhalers. Sell in Patts for about 15 Baht, or about $1 in the US.

11) A pen, to fill out your immigration arrival card (fill it out on the plane cause if it isn't filled out when you get to the head of the immigration line, you'll have to fill it out and go to the back of the line, DOH!) It's also handy for doing the Sudoku or crosswords in the airplane magazine, but be prepared to share it with the many people that didn't read this thread and don't have their own.

In response to a few of the OP way back when ..

Nasal inhaler - Good idea, I'll try to remember to pick one up.

Pen - I always carry a pen but hate using it as I'm so often aware of some prick hovering nearby who wants to borrow it and I don't want his grubby DNA on my travel pen. The answer is always no, with a smile. But that's after I've slowly written and quadruple-checked my landing card for the 5th time in order to be as slow as is humanely possible.  Bring your own fucking pen you ponce!

Edited by roger buttmore

Scent from my anus using crapatalk

Here's my tip travel 1st class. After a bottle of Dom Perignon, caviar and a whole lobster thermador served with the finest wines put your pyjamas on lie down on your bed and go to sleep.

Anyone who thinks I'm joking hasn't travelled 1st class.

Al.

I have used miles to do a few times.

Once on Korean I ordered a mimosa and the flight attendant asked what that was. I explained 1/2 champagne and 1/2 OJ.

I looked back as she mixed it so make sure she had understood. She was mixing Dom Perignon and OJ. 

When I was served I told that that she did not need to use DP for this mix, to which she sincerely apologized saying "Sorry Sir, that is all we have".

drnk planty of water i can't say how much this is important !!!

and also for me sleeping pills, otherwise i can't sleep for 1 sec...

even with pills i only sleep for 4 hours or so ...

• 3 months later...

I don't know if it's been mentioned already but I bring an immigration card with me.

I've been on flights where they've run out and I've had to fill one out in the terminal. Now I pick up a few when I land and keep them for future trips. :)

Edited by Eichenbaum

• 1 month later...

Nice post OP! Enjoyable read :) 

Anyone got any experience with connecting flights from BKK airport? How much time would one need to depart a plane i Bangkok and board a new plane to for instance Phuket

My biggest suggestion is to travel in biz or better. The difference from coach, even in the worst biz class, is amazing. The trip tuts from 19 hours of hell to a good chance to catch up on sleep or some tv before you land. If you have points it's well worth it. If ou are paying cash... Well, I just suffer and keep the extra 3 or 4 grand for the fun in the ground.

• 7 months later...

Great post (and comments).

My own tips for traveling to Bangkok (or on other long distance flights) is a follows:

- Pack light - I usually end up having checked luggage, since I often drag some scuba equipment along. But a 20, 30 or 40 kg limit on checked luggage, should not be an excuse to pack everything.

- Easily recognizable luggage - Even though I have rather unique steel/blue suitcase, I do "enhance" is by adding bright green and/or orange strips of gaffers tap. It also make the suitcase less attractive for potential theft.

- Traceable luggage - consider adding a GPS locator to your luggage, if the content is valuable. At least include your complete contact details inside. I have a few laminated A5-size sheets with name, address, email, phone number, and "reward give for return" printed on them. They have helped me once or twice.

- Only do light meals before and during traveling, a sandwich, some fruit or vegetables and lots of water.

- Bring snacks for the flight. Salty & sweet. Remember gum for easier pressure equalization during take-off/landing; remember to bring enough for the guy/gal next to you.

- When flying I try to wear (nice) cargo pants/shorts, as the pockets are very good for keeping all the small stuff used while flying.

- Bring kindle, noise-cancellation headphone, laptop/ipad with games and movies.

- Remember to pack passport, flight itinerary, name of hotel, and extra copies of each (possibly in app on phone/ipad). Also bring pen for Visa-on-arrival and extra pen for passenger next to you, who forgot his or hers.

- Bring toothbrush/paste, deodorant.

Don't do the following:

- Pack too much clothes, laundry is dirt cheap

- Pack anything close to the "don't bring this stuff on board"-lists.

- Argue with the people at check-in, security, boarding, crew on the plane, passport control, immigration or general security personnel. I have seen hundreds of people try this, and it so rarely gives good results. Smile, do a little bit of small talk, and smile some more. If nothing else, it improved your own mood.

- Don't bring loads of personal toiletries, as they are easy and cheap to buy locally.

This last trip I went to my doctor and requested a prescription for the sleep drug ambien. I tried it at home first to make sure I didn't have any adverse reactions. The test run at home was fine so I used it on the two longest flights I had from the US to BKK. I have trouble sleeping on planes and can usually only manage half hour naps which do more harm then good because they make the flights seem endless, but the ambien helped me sleep through most of a 14 hour flight and then again through most of a 7 hour flight. For me the drug didn't make me too dopey and I had no residual effects after use. I used it again on the way home, and it really helped make the trip much easier to deal with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...

I managed to get Star Alliance Gold status, which allows me to use the Business Class check-in counter, and gets me in the first check in group, plus I normally get the best seats in Economy.

However, no matter how carefully I plan my flight, I invariably end up sitting next to Patient Zero during long flights to Thailand.

• 4 months later...
On 5/29/2008 at 16:27, Sheist! said:

TIP on plane: if you get seated next to an olding white guy with a 1960's travelin' leisure hat who cannot shut up to save his life, do yourself a favor and get up and move. Or spend the flight in the john. Will save heavy on the headache... and the urge to kill!

If you are in any situation in life where you are trapped by a pain in the ass stranger that wants to have a long conversation, find a way to tell them you are in the life insurance business.....conversation OVER...  I actually am so I'm speaking from experience:-)

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 18:30, aflyfisher said:

If you are in any situation in life where you are trapped by a pain in the ass stranger that wants to have a long conversation, find a way to tell them you are in the life insurance business.....conversation OVER...  I actually am so I'm speaking from experience:-)

It works 99% of the time.
Once for me it did not work; I was up front and EVERY time the guy started to talk I had to go to the lavatory. After three trips in less than 30 minutes he made a comment that I had a weak bladder and I replied that every time he opens his mouth I have to go and puke; after that no more talk.
Most of the time selling life insurance DOES work.
I could not tell you how many "neighbors" I have had over the years that would not shut up ... including James Brown, Tammy Faye Baker and Zsa Zsa Gabor.
Zsa Zsa was the most obnoxious ever. 

Just put on your headphones and ignore him.