IGNORED

Getting to LOS in one piece, tips for surviving the flight

chuckrivera

Very nice thread.

If I had only time to do one thing, it would be grabbing nasal spray.

couple of mine...

Feet. I either wear my sandals or shoes that slip on and off easy. Good at security check points too. I keep a pair of very heavy socks in my carry on and an extra pair to change back into before landing. (no slippers in coach) Wet wipes for a quick foot bath in the lavatory.

Cleanliness. A must for the carry on and your seat back are packets of anti-bacterial wet wipes / towelettes. Planes are dirty places and keeping the hands clean is a good thing and a face wipe is refreshing. The wet wipes could also be your savior in the lavatory if your bowels decide to revolt. An anti-diarrheal should already be in your carry on basic drugs kit.

Drugs. I see a number mentioned here, but no halcion. (triazolam) I have had excellent results with it with less grogginess waking and very fast acting.

Food. The Liquid thing is fucked up, but leaving your departure country you can pretty much put whatever kind of food in your carry on. Beef jerky and high fiber cereal bars and my top choices. I keep forgetting to pack an instant noodle bowl or two as the flight attendants have hot water.

Chills. A light weight stocking cap is great to have if you get a cold cabin. Also, dressing in layers of course.

I travel from U.S. no way can I carry ererything on, I check everything, except what I want for that flight. Food mainly, I even bring fresh fruit, on the way back, as long as you eat it before you get to U. S., through Japan no problem. One time tried to bring home, had to trow away. People look at you kind of strange when you pull out a bag of leechies and start eating them. so what. And since there is no place that sells water after security, at bkk. It gives you something wet. And of course 1 day change of chlothes on way there only, and the other stuff.

• 1 month later...

I've travelled long-haul loads of times (ie > 100 flights probably). My tips are:

1. Try to book overnight flights. Flying during the day is boring and a waste of holiday time IMHO!

2. Go with a good airline - even if it's a few $$$ more. European carriers are better than American carriers, but Asian carriers are better than European carriers! Factor in the free alcohol and better food you'll get - it may make a big difference...

3. Check-in online exactly 24 hours before. (I set a calendar alarm to remind me). That way you get the best seat selection!

4. Go for an aisle seat, with as few people to the inside as possible. Eg, if you're on a 747, the layout is xxx-XxxX-xxx - you want to be sitting where there's a capital X, cos only 1 person inside you. Also go near the front as you get served food/drinks quicker and get off quicker - this can make a difference if immigration queues are long/inefficient. One exception is if there are loads of unassigned seats, eg the flight is at 50% capacity. Here what I'll sometimes do is take one of the inside seats in a group of 4 seats, if they're all empty, ie xxx-xXxx-xxx, and will select one at the very back. The logic here is that if people check-in at the airport, the desk staff will often fill seats from the front of the plane to the back. Also, on an empty flight, people usually want aisle seats that are not next to anyone else. My experience, provided the flight isn't too full, is that this strategy usually means that you get the entire block of 4 seats to yourself, which obviously means you can lie flat for the entire flight, using layered sleeping blankets to make the seats more comfortable! :D

5. Have a few drinks beforehand and/or onboard - preferably not beer as you don't want to be running to the toilet. A couple of vodkas/lemonades is my pref. Take a couple of glasses of water perhaps.

6. Sleeping pill! Decide on whether you're going to eat on the plane, which for me depends on how long the flight is and what time of day. If it's only 7 hours and a night flight, my aim is to go to sleep ASAP. If not, take it just as you're boarding. If you are eating, take it as you start your meal. It takes about 30-40 mins to kick-in.

7. Ear plugs and an eyeshade are a must!

3. Check-in online exactly 24 hours before. (I set a calendar alarm to remind me). That way you get the best seat selection!

For that little exception that when you book thru an airlines own website who allows you to pre-book your seat when you book your flight.

Johnny Wilde

CEO - Heavydrinking Hardcore Mongers Union of Pattaya

"You only pass through this life once, you never come back for encores!" - Elvis Presley

"You guys took "normal mongering" and shot it full of nitroglycerin and then set a match to it" - thumper63

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

if you want to survive dont fly with thai airways.

I've flown Thai dozens of times over the last 20 years or so. Never had grounds for any serious complaint, as far as I can recall.

• 2 weeks later...

Go to www.seatguru.com , find your airplane, look after the best seats (much info here!), then phone the airplane company and tell them you want to book seat now.

Very often they let you book a seat, without any extra cost.

Football, beer and girls, easy way of living!

• 4 weeks later...

I've probably done over 200 long-haul international flight segments (that's 2 each time I go to Thailand and 2 each time I return) and I am always comfortable because of these habits.

1. Buy water at the airport or bring a bottle and fill it. The flight attendants won't let you become dehydrated, but sometimes it's easier to reach for you own.

2. Bring some of my own food to supplement the food offered inflight. For me, usually that means a high protein brand of some sort.

3. Melatonin and/or Ambien.

4. Hand sanitizer.

5. Sweat pants, t-shirt and loosely tied athletic shoes.

6. Hand lotion!!! This is a big one as airplane air is extremely dry, especially older planes like the 747s. 777s are better, but coming from the US eat coast to Tokyo is 13-14 hours and even in a 777, my hands feel leathery. Not just any cream will do. It should have Vitamin E and be a "non-greasy" formula.

7. Take extra fish oil pills and Vitamin E for the 3-5 days prior to flight to reduce skin dryness, in keeping with the need to suffer less, in line with #6 above.

8. Always have more to do than you need. I bring 2 books, and iPod and my laptop, which is only good for about 2 hours without a battery anyway.

:D

I usually travel relatively short haul as I'm normally starting from Guam...Most of the ideas posted are pretty good for the longer trips...

Lately my airline of choice (other than Military space A) is Philippine Airlines...I normally catch the 0645 flt (Morning) from Guam and stop over a couple hours in Manila, than on to Bangkok, arriving around 1230 or so (lunchtime :Bow2: ) same day...

I rarely chk any bags, Usually I can get all I need into a backpac and handbag....I keep a lot of stuff in country so I do not need to carry much...anyway one can buy almost anything you need locally...

Cheers,

www.snakephoto.blogspot.com

I have done more than 300 long haul flights and I always plan to do the sensible thing drink water and wear moisturiser.

That lasts till I get to the airport then it is bring on the beer.

Last July I had my flight upgraded by my boss.

Before take off the FA said would you like a champagne before we fly can I have a beer with it was the reply.

Every 20 mins she stuck her head out and went 1 and 1 all the way to Dubai.

Got to Dubai slightly pissed then it was into the Emirates lounge for a few beers, later it was time to board the plane.

Girl at the plane asked to see my boarding pass and she took it said I have upgraded you to business.

Woohoo more champers and beer all the way to Bangkok.

I dont remember the rest of that day but I woke up with a honey who told me I was ting tong last night but funny.

Felt like shit all day and it was my birthday.

• 1 month later...

I fly from east coast of U.S. heading west..to the east! I alway am grossed out by the time I arrive at NRT, Seoul, wherever-- I ask where to take a shower.I might have to ask a few times but eventually find someone who knows. The airports in Asia- there always have a place- you can take a shower-but usually need to hunt for it...but if I have 2-3 hrs to kill no problem-less than 1 1/2. cutting too close...About 10.00 buck U.S...and give credit card-no problems in past and get good rate of exchange..This is my best advice..as if I wait..I smell like shit and am acutally embarassed and grossed out by myself-to ride in the taxi to pattaya with cab driver and when I check in the hotel..I just feel so much better for the last 6 longest hours as by then with lay-overs.I have already been in planes or waiting in airport about 20 hours-plus my 1 hour trip to first airport in my car...Ripe is the best word for it.

^ Showers are free and fantastic in United's Red Carpet Club. It's a full private bathroom with wifi so I can use the Blackberry whilst I poop. All granite fixtures with incredible hot water and water pressure. I usually stay in there for about 45 minutes and nobody bothers me. There are 12 or 13 showers available, butI haven't seen it even half full yet. I have some pictures somewhere I will try to find.

ps, there is free beer and liquor included.

[center][size="3"][url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/21796-getting-to-los-in-one-piece-tips-for-surviving-the-flight/page__p__322708__fromsearch__1&#entry322708"]Getting to LOS in one piece, tips for surviving the flight[/url] [/size][size="3"] [color="#000000"][b][size="4"]Restaurant Reviews[/size][/b][/color] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/34723-benihanas-brunch-in-royal-garden-plaza/page__p__550523__fromsearch__1&#entry550523"]Benihana's Brunch[/url] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/40196-shabushi-restaurant-6th-fl-central-festival/page__p__642739__fromsearch__1&#entry642739"]Shabushi[/url] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/40224-central-festival-food-loft/"]Central Food Loft[/url] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/56291-rosabieng-restaurant-sukhumvit-soi-11/"]Rosabieng (Bangkok)[/url] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/34681-more-bar-and-grill-downstairs-from-the-marriott/page__p__549788__fromsearch__1&#entry549788"]More Bar and Grill[/url] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/34680-valentines-day-at-cherrys-on-third/page__p__549786__fromsearch__1&#entry549786"]Cherry's[/url] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/56293-bali-hai-sunset/"]Bali-Hai Sunset[/url] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/56294-so-who-wants-to-eat-shit/"]Shit[/url] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/56315-rogers-italian/page__gopid__879575&#entry879575"]Roger's Italian[/url] [/size][/center][center][size="3"][color="#000000"][b][size="4"]Hotel Reviews[/size][/b][/color] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/34823-mosaik-apartments-soi-daynight-2/page__p__551879__fromsearch__1&#entry551879"]Mosaik Apartments[/url] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/37964-paragon-place-hotel-pattaya-nua-rd/page__p__605514__fromsearch__1&#entry605514"]Paragon Place[/url] [/size][size="3"][color="#000000"][b][size="4"]Trip Reports[/size][/b][/color] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/34867-a-short-visit-to-koh-chang/page__p__552510__fromsearch__1&#entry552510"]Koh Chang[/url] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/38011-khao-yai-national-park/page__p__606162__fromsearch__1&#entry606162"]Khao Yai National Park[/url] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/38006-songkran-in-the-village/page__p__606114__fromsearch__1&#entry606114"]Songkran in the Village[/url][/size] [/center]

• 2 weeks later...

A lot of good information here. Hope my next trip will be better by using all the information I found here.

One more tip, buy and wear the support/circulation socks, you can get them at the airport for a few £'s or any branch of Boots in the UK. They seem a bit strange and tight at at first but they're just like a pair of long black socks when you put them on. They are very good at preventing blood clots that occur when you stay in the same seated position a long time. Saw a horror documentary on TV about travellers, an not just older ones, who died a few weeks after their long haul flight as the blood clotted and could not get round their body

The last three trips the night and morning before leaving I have a threesome or energetic twosome all night then walk the length of Beach Road several times, if time allows, before going to the airport. Have been asleep before taking off each time for 8 hours. It's more natural than taking medication and/or alcohol in flight. :GoldenSmile1: Once home I take a 3mg. melatonin tablet at desired bedtime for a few days until my sleep cycle is reset. Been working well so far.

Every hole a goal.

Condoms kill boners. Save the boners.

Stop the Vagilantes.

• 2 weeks later...

One more tip, buy and wear the support/circulation socks, you can get them at the airport for a few £'s or any branch of Boots in the UK. They seem a bit strange and tight at at first but they're just like a pair of long black socks when you put them on. They are very good at preventing blood clots that occur when you stay in the same seated position a long time. Saw a horror documentary on TV about travellers, an not just older ones, who died a few weeks after their long haul flight as the blood clotted and could not get round their body

Very sensible idea. I recently had deep vien thrombosis after a major operation. I have a filter fitted in "vena cava" vein to stop clots getting to my lungs and I've been on Warfarin for the past 6 months. The clot has now cleared but anyone who has had recent surgery, recent DVT, cancer, cardiac problem, is obese or dehydrated is at higher risk of developing a blood clot on long haul flights.

I for one will be drinking plenty of water, wearing flight socks and getting up every hour or two ro help prevent any further clots. Drinking alcohol is a big no no.

Nigel

Edited by pattayavirgin

Pattayavirgins first Trip:http://www.pattaya-a...s-patts-cherry/

Pattayavirgins second Trip: http://www.pattaya-a...-to-21st-march/

• 2 months later...

I travel a lot between US (west coast) and EU, so here is my contribution:

1. When booking your ticket and choosing your seat, check the aircraft as the value of the seat greatly depends on it! Check seatguru.com if you're not familiar with aircraft. Sure the aircraft may change later, but it does not happen often. This is more important for long flights, which in US are typically use either Boeing 747-400, or 777-300ER. The difference may be dramatic - for example, sitting on 30A (exit row seat) on 777-300ER is completely different experience than sitting on 50A (also exit row) on the same airplane because of door layout (you feel squeezed). A window seat on 777-300 is worse than a window seat on 747-400 due to equipment box below the seat, which prevents you from fully extending your legs.

2. If you prefer window seat, guess where the sun is going to be during your flight (it depends on time of the day and the direction you fly). Choose the window seat on the opposite side. While you can close the window, it still will get hot.

3. If you can, book an exit row seat. You can always switch with someone else. Much harder the opposite way.

4. Make sure you get a jacket in your carry-on. Especially if you're in a window seat. A must in 747-400 exit row. You WILL freeze otherwise, and a single blanket won't help (in fact, one jacket may not be enough, get extra t-shirt).

5. To avoid paying crazy airport prices for water (sure I'm cheap, but $4 for a bottle of regular water???) bring an EMPTY Coke bottle, and fill it up AFTER you pass security check-in. Yes, you can bring an empty bottle through - the prohibition is about liquids, not bottles.

6. Avoid drinking heavily the night before the flight, and get some sleep. Flying only makes it worse. If you feel great before 20hr flight, you'll feel like crap after it. But if you feel like crap before, you'll regret every minute of it.

7. Get good prescription sleeping pills. I use Lunesta. Ask your doctor, tell him/her that you need it for trans-Atlantic/trans-Pacific flights. It is much stronger than regular sleep aid stuff, and last two years I typically find myself sleeping the whole 10-11 hour flight from Amsterdam to San Francisco.

8. Contrary to what others have said, I never eat in plane unless I got upgraded to First/Business. I also drink very little water - a 330ml Coke bottle of water is all I need for 10hr flight. This helps with sleeping in the plane, and you don't need to go to restroom that often (if at all). Some people are also taking Aspirin to prevent blood clogs.

• 2 months later...

I don't sleep the night before I travel long haul. After the in-flight meal I'm out for the count.

"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes." Jack Handey

• 3 weeks later...

I have been an Executive Platinum member for the past 5 years on American Airlines (highest level they offer). I fly 150,000 miles a year and 80% of it is domestic here in the states. This thread had a number of travel tips I never thought of, so thanks all.

One tip that I have is for people like me that have bad reactions to sleeping pills and a hard time falling asleep on planes. For years I had major jet lag issues until I found a system that worked for me. When flying long haul flights like my usual California to Taiwan or BKK I try to book a flight that arrives at my destination at night. For example I book the 5pm flight leaving LAX and arrives at TPE at 10pm. I force myself to stay up during the entire flight with work emails and reports, movies, music, etc.. Once I get to the hotel and take a shower it is around midnight and I am spent. I get a good 8 hour sleep and feel great in the morning. My jet lag is limited the entire week.

Hope this helps those folks that have jet lag issues.