IGNORED

Mama's Cafe on Soi 6

Evil Penevil

Soi 6 is more noted in the minds of most for DATY than fine dining, but Mama's Cafe near the intersection with Beach Road serves some very good food. I've yet to have a disappointing meal there. It serves French, Italian and Thai food bistro style.

IMG_7654.jpg

IMG_7653.jpg

IMG_7651.jpg

Last night we began with plates of North Atlantic oysters and whelks (sea snails) imported from France. The raw oysters were small but packed a lot of flavor.

IMG_7652.jpg

IMG_8161.jpg

The whelks had been cooked by the owner of Mama's Cafe and were delicious.

IMG_8159.jpg

IMG_8163.jpg

The young lady eating with me had a steak that came with a small side order of salad and fried potatoes. The steak was cooked to order (medium) and very tender for Thai beef. It was a large portion of meat and she couldn't finish all of it, even with some help from me.

IMG_8167.jpg

IMG_8168.jpg

IMG_8171.jpg

I had a salmon filet baked in aluminum foil. It did wasn't overcooked, a common fate of salmon in Pattaya. It had just the right amount of lime, capers, white wine and dill added to accentuate the flavor of the salmon and not overwhelm it. Fresh fish should taste like fresh fish.

IMG_8174.jpg

IMG_8176.jpg

The French fries that came with the salmon were cooked properly and had been deep-fried twice: once at a lower heat to cook out the rawness, the second time at a higher heat to make them brown and crisp.

IMG_8173.jpg

The meal was reasonable priced considering the quality and size of the portions. My salmon cost 360 baht, he steak 390 baht and the oysters and whelks 500 baht. Including drinks (two SML and a bottle of water ) and tip, the entire meal was 1,450 baht.

Pizza is another speciality at Mama's and I consider the pies I've had there among the best available in Pattaya.

post-9139-0-33901900-1363976913.jpg

They are thin-crust pizzas with a lot of American-style toppings. I prefer pizza in the traditional Italian style of one or two toppings, but Mama's pizza was nevertheless good and not an earthquake of flavors in my mouth.

IMG_7374.jpg

That's what a pizza crust should look like.

IMG_7376.jpg

On earlier occasions I had the homemade lasagna and squid with garlic, both excellent choices.

IMG_7647.jpg

IMG_7649.jpg

post-9139-0-18555600-1363976921a.jpg

I don't have any pics, but Mama's also has a wide selection of pasta and salad dishes. The menu features a variety of specialty coffees and dessert dishes.

You can see the entire menu here: http://www.mama-cafe-pattaya.com/

MenuA.jpg ...MenuB.jpg

I can wholeheartedly recommend Mama's Cafe. It's worth a trip to Soi 6 just to eat there.

Evil

sigmyvvv.jpg.cb46a0ab77905c40e6b49f00c43b583a.jpg

Do they do takeaway pizza (boxed)? If so, do they deliver on the soi?

Do they do takeaway pizza (boxed)? If so, do they deliver on the soi?

I really don't know. I have seen them deliver food to nearby bars, but I don't know what the "policy" is regarding pizza for take-away or delivery.

Evil

sigmyvvv.jpg.cb46a0ab77905c40e6b49f00c43b583a.jpg

Next time I am her will give it a try

Love requires sacrifice, great love requires great sacrifice - sex requires nothing more than desire

The food looks great,I'm there in 59 days and will go there for sure.

Thanks for the info.

Robw

Just another reason to visit Soi 6...

The food looks nice...thanks for the heads-up...cheers :Grin3:

Impressive pizza! Properly charred crusts are a rarity in the west, its great to see one pop up in Thailand.

Thanks EP for such a detailed post.I'll stop in next visit.

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it

helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but

at the very least you need a beer."

-Frank Zappa

Great post, EP. Will definitely put Mama's on the list. That pizza looked fantastic! Better make sure there's a gym in the bloody hotel. Gonna need it...

Big Mike.

Thanks for the review I will stop by and check it out this week.

Good review

I have walked past this restaurant many times and never bothered going in

After this review down time I am down the six will Deffo pop in for a snack/coffee

I agree totally with the post the food is good and the price reasonable bought a pizza there once and shared with girls across the way then shagged one of them a great evening!

J

They have a buy one get one free pizza night (I think on Tuesdays?).  I always take them to my Soi Six bar of choice, eat one, let the girls chow down on the second one, and then take one or two upstairs so they can show their appreciation.

I agree totally with the post the food is good and the price reasonable bought a pizza there once and shared with girls across the way then shagged one of them a great evening!

J

They have a buy one get one free pizza night (I think on Tuesdays?).  I always take them to my Soi Six bar of choice, eat one, let the girls chow down on the second one, and then take one or two upstairs so they can show their appreciation.

So takeaway is no problem? Do they deliver on the soi as well?

Never been there myself but getting a bargirl to go and collect it would be easily done.

i'd rather eat a fishes face than a steak and kidney pie

I had 2 English breakfasts there, first one was OK, second was not. I didn't go again.

• 1 month later...

Good review, will try it in my upcoming trip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the review will drop in with the

mates in June. Staying close in Soi2.

Will get stuck into the whelcks which we used

to gather off the rocks in Scotland

Evil

Thanks once again for your great and informative reports. As with many us maybe food is usually the last thing I am thinking about while on the six.

To answer my own question, yes they do deliver on the Six in a takeaway box, like regular pizza deliveries. Just tell them the bar.

Little more expensive than the ones delivered from Buakhao that a lot of the boys on the Six use but obviously they arrive piping hot from Mama's and may be preferred by those who like the thin crust style they do.

Also they arrive very quick.

To answer my own question, yes they do deliver on the Six in a takeaway box, like regular pizza deliveries. Just tell them the bar.

Little more expensive than the ones delivered from Buakhao that a lot of the boys on the Six use but obviously they arrive piping hot from Mama's and may be preferred by those who like the thin crust style they do.

Also they arrive very quick.

Sinbad, Thanks for finding out. As they say if you want something done do it yourself. Very good.

Archived