IGNORED

Amplifying WiFi or 3G dongle signal?

Encora

Is there any gadget around that will amplify either my WiFI signal, or that of my 3G True Move dongle reception?

I am living a bit out of the way. My Condo, in large grounds, is the furthest away from the free Condo WiFi transmitter, and the signal is slow and cuts out a lot. Is there an amplifier I can use to strengthen the signal?

Alternatively, I am trying to use a 3G dongle. AIS proved poor, on advice I changed to an True Move 21 Gb dongle.

But the signal is again very weak, and frequently cuts out. Is there. Gadget on the market that amplifies 3G cell phone signal?

My mate, who lives next doors has the same dongle and card. Mine almost never works, his works a lot better, even in my dongle and computer location.

I tried convincing True Move that the card must be faulty because my mates identical card does work most times, but they try it out in their shop at Lotus Patts Neua, it works fine, they sy there in nothing wrong with it.

I considered 3BB optical cable, their circuit ends 500 m away, and in spite of promises last year, they haven't extended it.

I'm getting sick of poor connections

Any suggetions?

you can get a booster that worked fine for me before.

you need a wifi dongle as normal and the booster plugs into it. 

it gives you a stronger signal and a wider range.

i got mine from ebay in the uk but i've seen them in tuk com

WLAN Amplifier Receiver + Antenna Wi-Fi b/g Booster Dongle USB Adapter / 6dBi

then get the booster and plug it into the wifi usb

2200mW NextG USB-Yagi 11N WiFi Antenna - FAST & STRONG TURBOTENNA

$(KGrHqJ,!rIFIW!epEpZBSKHn(R9Pw~~60_12.jpg

theres many types of booster so i guess you have to just go there and find something that will work for you.

Something like the Netgear n300 http://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-range-extenders/WN3000RP.aspx

Simply plug it in halfway between the wifi source and your condo. It creates a new hotspot that is a mirror of the original source.

I've used these successfully several times.

If you get one that works let us all know, poor wifi signal strenght is a common problem in Pattaya.

very fustrating

Something like the Netgear n300 http://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-range-extenders/WN3000RP.aspxSimply plug it in halfway between the wifi source and your condo. It creates a new hotspot that is a mirror of the original source.I've used these successfully several times.

"Plug it in" does that require power? Batteries or mains?

I would have to hang it in a tree between the transmitter closest, on a pole, and my balcony. Bit dicey..

But willl consider, thank you.

oK I see, mains plug, could be messy in a tree.....

Mains... Perhaps you can beg an outlet from another resident located between you and the wifi.

IF you have a removable antenna on your network card, there are several options:

There are several relatively cheap hi-gain antenna that will boost reception. If you can find one at the 10-15dBi (higher end for consumer equipment), you should be good.  They come in omni directional and directional.  If you always know the direction of your signal source, then directional can help reduce interference.  Lastly, making your own is a relatively easy and viable option if you can't find them to purchase where you live. Just Google "Cantenna" for several methods of constructing very cheap and highly functional directional antennas with typical household items (outside of a pigtail connector).  There are also hacks where you can use discarded sat tv dishes to a similar effect, but those aren't as easy to come by.  

I'm getting sick of poor connections

Any suggetions?

If you want something that "JUST WORKS":

Buy two of these: http://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-PowerBridge-Carrier-Bridging-Solution/dp/B004EZBYUM

Convince your condo to put one pointing at your unit from their internet connection.

There is a shop in TukCom that specializes in Ubiquiti gear [very solid], I don't know their prices. 

Try to see if you can get True Cable, or even DSL installed. Even if 3BB doesn't have fiber in your area, CAT might. They are more expensive [4,200 a month minimum package] but they are the best ISP in town - hands down. 

I live in a far corner, 20 km away from Patts, with my rear neighbour being the Thai Navy. The nearest 3BB is about 600 metres away, promised to come here last year.

Can anyone tell me the location of the main 3BB office in Pattaya, so I can go stir them up again....

I don't think CAT is here, and 4200 bt/ month is a lot of money, which could also be spent on other things instead.....

tOT used to supply my ADSL modem via crappy phone lines, but the line was down half the time, and service was abysimal, so I cancelled those a year or two ago.

Archived