Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Problem getting rid of a virus or Trojan horse

CheapChalee

Hey guys and gals, since about last August I have been getting this bug on my computer.  Nothing see's it but Malware.  I use CCleaner and Malware most of the time but have installed Avast and it didn't see it either during a scan.  It is a registry file that causes Mozilla to line everything up on the left side of the screen and keeps reoccurring even after you remove it.

Can anyone recommend a good virus protection, Trojan horse remover software?  The file is called, PUP.Optional.ValueApps and it is located in the HKCU\software\Conduit\ValueApps.  and the registry Key Category

There are a couple that I can't get rid of but they always start with PUP.

Has anybody else had this problem, or am I the only lucky SOB to get it?

Chalee

A wise man once told me to ignore anything that comes out of a woman's mouth, unless it needs wiping and putting back in your pants.
You might see me tonight with an illegal smile, it doesn't cost very much and it last a long while ............ John Prine

You can't fix stupid

I'm a man of many things, but Character is not one of my attributes.

Happiness - Everyone brings some,  some by coming, others by going.

No use wanting what you can't get

Quit Hollering at me, I  heard you the first time you don't have to tell the neighbors, a little silence ain't no sin , they already know my name is where the hell have you been,

Project Whores

http://www.fixyourbrowser.com/removal-instructions/remove-pup-optional-valueapps-malwarebytes/

PUP.Optional.ValueApps belongs to PUP group, that is generally used by cyber crooks to endorse millions of illegal product of application that is useless for system users. It makes the use of system completely frustrating and annoying by delivering lot of fake messages, pop-ups, advertisements and security alert over it. PUP.Optional.ValueApps is always bundled inside computer through reading Spam email attachment, using infected USB devices, visiting dubious web sites and etc. Once arrive, PUP.Optional.ValueApps retard the performance of computer, edit or delete personal documents of hard disk and tend to complete corruption.http://www.spyware-buster.com/remove-pup-optional-valueapps-how-to-delete-pup-optional-valueapps

PUP.Optional.ValueApps due to result of accessing junk emails, sharing p2p files, torrents, playing games and watching online video, visiting phishing websites, clicking untrusted links, social engineering, downloading freeware or shareware incorporating PDF creator, video recording/streaming, etc.

Apart from this, PUP.Optional.ValueApps alters complete critical settings of PC like DNS,. Internet, background, homepage settings  and makes a hole for many other infection like adware, rouge antispyware, PUP, Key loggers and etc. Furthermore, this lethal threat disrupt the accessibility of several important application present inside compromised machine, makes browser unresponsive, block Antivirus application and security firewall of personal computer. Additionally, it use several system resources and collect confidential detail of users like email credentials, income tax number, company tender related details and many more. Hence it is recommended to delete PUP.Optional.ValueApps from Windows machine as quickly as possible.  

Have you tried using a different browser? 

Is this a problem only with Mozilla?

Try a program called "HiJackThis"  .. 

http://download.cnet.com/Trend-Micro-HijackThis/3000-8022_4-10227353.html

If persistent spyware is bogging down your computer, you might need HijackThis. The tiny program examines vulnerable or suspect parts of your system, such as browser helper objects and certain types of Registry keys. Pressing the Scan button generates a log of dozens of items, most of which are just customization's. Don't check off an item and hit the Fix Checked button unless you're sure it's malware. Clicking Info on Selected Item tells you why the entry was flagged as suspicious, but not whether it's actually malware. To find that out, search the Web for that item's name or go straight to a forum, such as SpywareInfo or Computer Cops. Saving the log creates a text document you can post to these forums.

... take your time and scan through the log it creates ... and you should be able to pick out the things that do not belong .. 

be careful ... unlike other "cleaners" this one does not back up your old registry settings .. it is possible to remove something you need .. 

If you can not figure out what to remove .. save and post the log here and I can help you 

.. hope this helps .. 

if you are in Pattaya and you would like me to meet you somewhere I can fix it for you .. no problem 

Have you tried using a different browser? 

Is this a problem only with Mozilla?

Try a program called "HiJackThis"  .. 

http://download.cnet.com/Trend-Micro-HijackThis/3000-8022_4-10227353.html

If persistent spyware is bogging down your computer, you might need HijackThis. The tiny program examines vulnerable or suspect parts of your system, such as browser helper objects and certain types of Registry keys. Pressing the Scan button generates a log of dozens of items, most of which are just customization's. Don't check off an item and hit the Fix Checked button unless you're sure it's malware. Clicking Info on Selected Item tells you why the entry was flagged as suspicious, but not whether it's actually malware. To find that out, search the Web for that item's name or go straight to a forum, such as SpywareInfo or Computer Cops. Saving the log creates a text document you can post to these forums.

... take your time and scan through the log it creates ... and you should be able to pick out the things that do not belong .. 

be careful ... unlike other "cleaners" this one does not back up your old registry settings .. it is possible to remove something you need .. 

If you can not figure out what to remove .. save and post the log here and I can help you 

.. hope this helps .. 

if you are in Pattaya and you would like me to meet you somewhere I can fix it for you .. no problem 

Thanks, I'll get back into town this weekend,  don't know how long I'll be there at least 2 weeks though.

Chalee

A wise man once told me to ignore anything that comes out of a woman's mouth, unless it needs wiping and putting back in your pants.
You might see me tonight with an illegal smile, it doesn't cost very much and it last a long while ............ John Prine

You can't fix stupid

I'm a man of many things, but Character is not one of my attributes.

Happiness - Everyone brings some,  some by coming, others by going.

No use wanting what you can't get

Quit Hollering at me, I  heard you the first time you don't have to tell the neighbors, a little silence ain't no sin , they already know my name is where the hell have you been,

Project Whores

• 7 months later...

Download and install Malwarebytes and update it, Reboot your Computer and Boot into safe mode,  Hit F8 on Startup continuously until it Gives you the Safe Boot Options,choose safemode with Networking, login to your Computer and Run Malwarebytes and update it, if it is Malware on your computer this will clean it out..

cheers

Download and install Malwarebytes and update it, Reboot your Computer and Boot into safe mode,  Hit F8 on Startup continuously until it Gives you the Safe Boot Options,choose safemode with Networking, login to your Computer and Run Malwarebytes and update it, if it is Malware on your computer this will clean it out..

cheers

Malawarebytes cleaned out a mass of pop-up adverts which were Binary Key items. Malawarebytes found a long list of 'PUP Optional net Crawl A' .  Quaranteen them and had no more adverts.

Sex without love is an empty experience;

But as empty experiences go, it is one of the best.

• 10 months later...

Boot from a recovery CD and run a full scan. I have just answered a similar question here. LINK.

HiJackThis is a very clever bit of software understanding the logs are far from easy for most.

Believe nothing just because a so-called wise person said it. Believe nothing just because a belief is generally held.

Believe nothing just because it is said in ancient books. Believe nothing just because it is said to be of divine origin.

Believe nothing just because someone else believes it.

Believe only what you yourself test and judge to be true.

Boot from a recovery CD and run a full scan. I have just answered a similar question here. LINK.

HiJackThis is a very clever bit of software understanding the logs are far from easy for most.

Not many people have a recovery CD now-a-days .. i know i have not had one for more than a decade.

.. yes.. HiJackThis is not really an easy program for many to use effectively .. but, very nice if you pay attention to what you are doing

Not many people have a recovery CD now-a-days .. i know i have not had one for more than a decade.

I think the term 'Recovery CD'  has stuck because they come as ISO's. Obviously nowadays you would burn to a USB stick not a physical CD. Hirens BootCD is pretty amazing and has gotten me out of a shed load of problems.

Believe nothing just because a so-called wise person said it. Believe nothing just because a belief is generally held.

Believe nothing just because it is said in ancient books. Believe nothing just because it is said to be of divine origin.

Believe nothing just because someone else believes it.

Believe only what you yourself test and judge to be true.

Archived