IGNORED

Internet Issue

sinkorswim

Definitely a ISP or modem issue, just happened again. No internet for 45 minutes then back again but slow.

Definitely a ISP or modem issue, just happened again. No internet for 45 minutes then back again but slow.

In post 5 you say that when the internet connection on your desktop PC fails you can still connect to the internet via wifi on your iPhone, if this is still the case and was the case during the the most recent problem, then this eliminates the ISP and modem/ router.

1. Were you able to connect to the internet and access web pages using your iPhone during the 45 minutes your desktop PC could not?

Also you previously indicated you could access pirate bay and download torrents when this problem occurred, was this the also the case in this instance?

2. Does your Modem/ router have a light on it to indicate when it is connected to the internet, if yes, what did this light indicate during the 45 minute disconnection?

3. During the 45 minute disconnection, did you log in to the modem/ router via the browser, this is typically done via an IP address like 192.168.1.1 but the exact address is likely to be indicated on modem/ router somewhere.

If you did this, did the Modem/ router indicate it was connected to the internet or did it show as disconnected?

If you can connect to the internet via your iPhone on the same modem and/ or the modem does not indicate it is disconnected from the internet when you are logged in to it, it is more likely the problem is with your desktop PC.

There are numerous things I could suggest but it depends on the answers to the above.

"Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character."

To make sure that your Isp/modem is the problem:

Can you hook your Internet to a laptop etc?

Can a pal bring you an Internet dongle?

There are connection bugs with Windows 7

Engineer has been out and he said there was a setting wrong in the modem, that could explain why the wi-fi was working but not the LAN connection.

Engineer has been out and he said there was a setting wrong in the modem, that could explain why the wi-fi was working but not the LAN connection.

Based on the information you provided previously that is possible but I would say unlikely.

I hope I am wrong and you have no more problems but if you do let me know and I will help you isolate the problem.

Good luck.

"Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character."

Based on the information you provided previously that is possible but I would say unlikely.

I hope I am wrong and you have no more problems but if you do let me know and I will help you isolate the problem.

Good luck.

Thanks, everything seems fine for now.

In post 5 you say that when the internet connection on your desktop PC fails you can still connect to the internet via wifi on your iPhone, if this is still the case and was the case during the the most recent problem, then this eliminates the ISP and modem/ router.

1. Were you able to connect to the internet and access web pages using your iPhone during the 45 minutes your desktop PC could not?

Also you previously indicated you could access pirate bay and download torrents when this problem occurred, was this the also the case in this instance?

2. Does your Modem/ router have a light on it to indicate when it is connected to the internet, if yes, what did this light indicate during the 45 minute disconnection?

3. During the 45 minute disconnection, did you log in to the modem/ router via the browser, this is typically done via an IP address like 192.168.1.1 but the exact address is likely to be indicated on modem/ router somewhere.

If you did this, did the Modem/ router indicate it was connected to the internet or did it show as disconnected?

If you can connect to the internet via your iPhone on the same modem and/ or the modem does not indicate it is disconnected from the internet when you are logged in to it, it is more likely the problem is with your desktop PC.

There are numerous things I could suggest but it depends on the answers to the above.

Just to answer your questions.

1. Yes I could use my phone to access the internet through wi-fi but PB or any other site would not open.

2. Yes the light was on.

3. Yes I did access the router and it did show it was connected to the internet, however later when the engineer came round the router showed it was not connected to the internet but I had internet access???

Sometimes a situation arises whereby a mac address gets cloned, either accidently or on purpose, the result is that if the person with the cloned mac is on the same local network ( i.e in same region) you lose some or all connection for the period they are on line. It's easy to clone a modems mac, the mac is often on a sticker on the bottom.If it's the modem thats cloned only your isp can sort it.

Another occasional situation arises on some window 7 (also 8) pc's whereby if you have both wireless and non wireless adaptors enabled at the same time they conflict, this is more common with streaming problems and is easily sorted by disabling the one not in use.

The most common issue i find is not taking the ticks out of the LAN settings (internet options/connections)

I don't have a wireless adapter installed on my PC it is connected via a LAN cable. (still running smoothly)

Archived