Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Becoming terrified of visa runs

gungadin

It seems the more i stay in Pattaya the more scared i am becoming of travelling anywhere by minibus,watching the daily crashes on the news doesnt help.My last visa run with 1st class visa runs was awful.The driver was a maniac.

Can anyone recommend a company with a "careful driver" or any other ideas that are quick and dont cost much money?

Many Thanks

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are none that I know of every one that I have been on have been the same all they want to do is get there and back as quick as they can.

Best way is to hire a car for the day 1000 baht or there abouts and drive yourself make a day of it.

If someone were to start a visa run service that concentrated on safety i.e vehicles, seat belts, safe careful drivers no speeding etc. they would clean up you're not the only on who dreads the visa run because of the moron behind the wheel.

There are none that I know of every one that I have been on have been the same all they want to do is get there and back as quick as they can.

Best way is to hire a car for the day 1000 baht or there abouts and drive yourself make a day of it.

If someone were to start a visa run service that concentrated on safety i.e vehicles, seat belts, safe careful drivers no speeding etc. they would clean up you're not the only on who dreads the visa run because of the moron behind the wheel.

i totally agree with you

Do you know the directions to the border at Prum?Wasnt taking much notice each time i have been.Also is there any hassle from trying to do everything on your own when you get there, as i have only seen tour companies there.Driven to Poipet quite a few times alone but wondered if it was any different

If a a few of you guys get together you could hire a car and driver. Make sure it's the same one every time and that he'll keep getting the work as long as he drives sensibly.

Then you'd just have to work out how not to get hit by a runaway speeding minibus with a sleeping driver at the wheel! Back roads? :)

RULES

1NQq.gif

There are only two types of people in the world, those who can extrapolate from incomplete data......

Air Asia... :hello09:

I have a Problem..... I just can't decide if its a good problem or a bad problem...

If a a few of you guys get together you could hire a car and driver. Make sure it's the same one every time and that he'll keep getting the work as long as he drives sensibly.

Then you'd just have to work out how not to get hit by a runaway speeding minibus with a sleeping driver at the wheel! Back roads? :)

Worth a look, but I think you'd need 3 people synchronised re' border run dates to justify a taxi (OK self drive cheaper) and don't forget that the 1800-2500 minibus cost includes the Cambodian Visa cost.

If it was possible then the cost would be similar for a nicer trip than the lower priced minibus seats, but the trick would be finding 2 other guys who need to go at the same time.

Worth a look, but I think you'd need 3 people synchronised re' border run dates to justify a taxi (OK self drive cheaper) and don't forget that the 1800-2500 minibus cost includes the Cambodian Visa cost.

If it was possible then the cost would be similar for a nicer trip than the lower priced minibus seats, but the trick would be finding 2 other guys who need to go at the same time.

Agreed. I guess on the first run at least 2 of the 3 (3 of 4) would need to sacrifice a few weeks of visa to get it synchronised but if the alternative is getting so unpleasant it could be worth it. Would also need 3 dependable guys. As you say a more pleasant experience all round.

RULES

1NQq.gif

There are only two types of people in the world, those who can extrapolate from incomplete data......

It seems the more i stay in Pattaya the more scared i am becoming of travelling anywhere by minibus,watching the daily crashes on the news doesnt help.My last visa run with 1st class visa runs was awful.The driver was a maniac.

Can anyone recommend a company with a "careful driver" or any other ideas that are quick and dont cost much money?

Many Thanks

Thing is, it is the careful drivers that end up getting killed - the nutters are aiming for them 

I was just discussing this, but about mini buses to Koh Chang, both times I have used Malibu the drivers were fucking insane...

Has anyone tried having a conversation with the company or driver, and offering him money to NOT drive like a lunatic?  Just wondering, probably not a workable idea tho eh?

I won't do a minibus again if I can not figure out how to insure a relaxed ride.

I was just discussing this, but about mini buses to Koh Chang, both times I have used Malibu the drivers were fucking insane...

Has anyone tried having a conversation with the company or driver, and offering him money to NOT drive like a lunatic?  Just wondering, probably not a workable idea tho eh?

I won't do a minibus again if I can not figure out how to insure a relaxed ride.

yeah ,last visa run he must have spent 99% of the time on the wrong side of the road,blind bends etc at top speed

Why do all minibus drivers act like this?is there something about getting behind the wheel of a minibus that turns them into right cunts?

yeah ,last visa run he must have spent 99% of the time on the wrong side of the road,blind bends etc at top speed

Why do all minibus drivers act like this?is there something about getting behind the wheel of a minibus that turns them into right cunts?

I don't know, but I am not gonna allow myself to be put in danger like that again...  

Not sure how to handle it other than to hire a car and driver, or drive myself or have my girl drive if she's able...

I am not set up with an intnl dl, and don't really relish the idea of driving myself in Thailand... not there yet anyway...  maybe someday...

I just rode motobike taxis for the first time on my 4th trip...  working up to it I guess...

haha

At one time there used to be a big bus probably about 40 seats that was used for visa runs I dont remember feeling unsafe in it not sure when it stopped maybe about 10 years ago.

If someone run one once or twice a week it could prove profitable I know I would choose it over a minivan.

At one time there used to be a big bus probably about 40 seats that was used for visa runs I dont remember feeling unsafe in it not sure when it stopped maybe about 10 years ago.

If someone run one once or twice a week it could prove profitable I know I would choose it over a minivan.

It probably crashed !

RULES

1NQq.gif

been on one for a visa run from Soi post office on a Sunday once,awful,was at the border for hours waiting for everyone.Its only the same god damn awful drivers anyway.If they are anything like the blue and white bus drivers i think i will give them a wide bearth too

if its realy that bad for you, rent a car and (if) you do get stopped by the feds pay the fine, mini van drivers are kamikazi lunatics on red bull and speed pills.

I had my first Visa Run a couple of months ago - and the guy drove like a lunatic!! I spoke to the guy who arranges the Visa's and ask him to instruct the driver to SLOW DOWN - but to no avail.

While I appreciate that the driver is doing such Visa-runs several times a week and know's the roads pretty well - I just cannot imagine taking such a big responsibility with a Mini Bus full of Farangs.....?

Two weeks later, I had to do another Visa-run and it again was the same story - but with a different driver.

To drive yourself is ok, but then you are at the border and have to do all the formalities yourself - and I don't know how easy that would be?

Maybe the best will be to fly out and come back by plane and then get the 30 day on arrival - or apply outside LOS for another Visa?

Or, since there are so many people who are complaining about the "speedy" drivers - if all of them complain, that sure would get the point accross to the operators - to slow down??

My mate died as a result of his injuries when involved in a Visa Run Crash about 15 years ago

Fucking drivers are insane,  try not to use the vans they are very dangerous

I am amazed to hear these Farang owned visa companies still allow there drivers to drive so unsafely

RIP Billy, you was a great bloke

For all your Pattaya Golf and Hotel Reservations visit www.pattayagolf.com

although it doesnt sound right, i ride my motocy, much safer

last one i did to lao we arrived 2 hrs early!!! and then the border crossing opened 1 1/2 late.

directions to prum

take suk to chantaburi turn left at the T intersection

about 35ks turn right at the pong nam rong turn off, just past the 7/11,

tricky part is the right turn about 30ks along, on a blind corner with no signs.

Member since Dec 06.

I always thought Thailand was a left hand traffic country; why do you want them to drive the right side of the road ?

their ≠ there ≠ they’re; theirs ≠ there’s; your ≠ you’re; its ≠ it’s; whose ≠ who’s;

bearback ≠ bareback; loose ≠ lose; too ≠ to; wander ≠ wonder; then ≠ than;

men ≠ man; women ≠ woman; know ≠ now ≠ no; quiet ≠ quite; site ≠ sight;

except ≠ accept; of ≠ 've; waist ≠ waste; sure ≠ shore; etc. (et cetera) ≠ ect.

Many Thanks

Why do you not try to get a serious visa ?

their ≠ there ≠ they’re; theirs ≠ there’s; your ≠ you’re; its ≠ it’s; whose ≠ who’s;

bearback ≠ bareback; loose ≠ lose; too ≠ to; wander ≠ wonder; then ≠ than;

men ≠ man; women ≠ woman; know ≠ now ≠ no; quiet ≠ quite; site ≠ sight;

except ≠ accept; of ≠ 've; waist ≠ waste; sure ≠ shore; etc. (et cetera) ≠ ect.

With the minivans it’s the runs between cities where most crashes occur and it down to driver fatigue, schedule deadlines and on the phone.

I use first class visa runs they have a van with 6 occupants it’s a little more expensive I think 2500b but the driver know the route well and is not on the phone all the time.

The other options but car hire and self-drive can be dangerous especially if you’re not familiar with the road it more likely to be someone hit you hope you can find an option that suits.

With the minivans it’s the runs between cities where most crashes occur and it down to driver fatigue, schedule deadlines and on the phone.

I use first class visa runs they have a van with 6 occupants it’s a little more expensive I think 2500b but the driver know the route well and is not on the phone all the time.

The other options but car hire and self-drive can be dangerous especially if you’re not familiar with the road it more likely to be someone hit you hope you can find an option that suits.

if you read my original post you would see that 1st class visa run was one of the worst ones i have been with.

Why do you not try to get a serious visa ?

what do you suggest?

I don't even like the road from patts to Bangkok airport,so being on 6 month hols and having a multi entry 0 visa have to leave once.so pattaya airport to Phuket by Bangkok air(very good done it before)1 week mini hols in Phuket with a one night flight to Singapore from Phuket and back sorted.i believe they have just started a low cost flight from pattaya to Cambodia that could be the answer,certainly that's the way I would go if based here on a yearly basis.

if you read my original post you would see that 1st class visa run was one of the worst ones i have been with.

what do you suggest?

a hanky for you to cry into !!! :Cry4:

Archived