IGNORED

Becoming terrified of visa runs

gungadin

if you read my original post you would see that 1st class visa run was one of the worst ones i have been with.

what do you suggest?

I have a retirement visa, but if that were not the case, I would try to get an education visa (or a marriage visa).

their ≠ there ≠ they’re; theirs ≠ there’s; your ≠ you’re; its ≠ it’s; whose ≠ who’s;

bearback ≠ bareback; loose ≠ lose; too ≠ to; wander ≠ wonder; then ≠ than;

men ≠ man; women ≠ woman; know ≠ now ≠ no; quiet ≠ quite; site ≠ sight;

except ≠ accept; of ≠ 've; waist ≠ waste; sure ≠ shore; etc. (et cetera) ≠ ect.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With the minivans it’s the runs between cities where most crashes occur and it down to driver fatigue, schedule deadlines and on the phone.

I use first class visa runs they have a van with 6 occupants it’s a little more expensive I think 2500b but the driver know the route well and is not on the phone all the time.

The other options but car hire and self-drive can be dangerous especially if you’re not familiar with the road it more likely to be someone hit you hope you can find an option that suits.

Are there also “second class visa runs” ?

I have never seen promotion for them.

their ≠ there ≠ they’re; theirs ≠ there’s; your ≠ you’re; its ≠ it’s; whose ≠ who’s;

bearback ≠ bareback; loose ≠ lose; too ≠ to; wander ≠ wonder; then ≠ than;

men ≠ man; women ≠ woman; know ≠ now ≠ no; quiet ≠ quite; site ≠ sight;

except ≠ accept; of ≠ 've; waist ≠ waste; sure ≠ shore; etc. (et cetera) ≠ ect.

Thank you for that info, OP.
I was just about to book a Laos run with them.....will give them a pass now.

I have used 5 Star Visa quiet a few times and they have been pretty good, although on my last trip the driver was on the phone damn near the whole trip.
I noted that down on the questionnaire they give out upon return.

I love animals…..especially with mashed ‘taters & gravy.

I rent a car and do it myself.  7 week rental for a car is 7000.00 baht most.   Stop and fuck white sand beach on Koh Chang each way.

I hate the vans full off whiners.   Someone is throwing up or has some shithole in Jomptien we have to go during traffic.  One hippie had mites from his dwelling, we all had to buy special shampoo to get rid off this!

If you can, fly to Cambodia.  A blast!  30 day's.  Make it a 3 day fuck fest and get a 60 day.

Fly to lao, get laid maybe.  enjoy coffee and crumpets.  double entry "VISA" while you chill on the Mekong!  There are girls, be aware though!  I have no idea why, but a visa in Lao is the best way!

If you want to stay for more than 6 months, easy.  Just get an Ed Visa, enroll and they do the rest.  It is so simple.  Never had a problem with the Visa runs, the problem was with the twits drinking tea at the Gas Station halfway. I want to get back!

The boy's driving make a commission.  If  you want a leisure ride get a private driver.  

I just rent a car and do it myself, stop at any place I like.   Koh Chang for a few day's----white sand is full of pussy!

Get an international drivers licence and drive yourself.  

Have fun and explore the Eastern seaboard.  Get a discount for 7 day's on a truck and visit Koh Chang.

Enjoy Thailand, get a double entry Visa, then you won't have to use these Visa services.

For about 10,000 more have a vacation in Malaysia, and get a double visa+ 90 day's . 4 # day's of being drunk will pay for it!

I have driven on the road to Poipet several times and the poor standard of the mini bus drivers has to be seen to be believed.  I can only guess that they were doing visa runs but almost without exception they drove like maniacs, sometimes overtaking lines of vehicles and almost forcing on coming traffic into the ditch.  I stick to the 90 K`s speed limit and I am overtaken by everything on that road, especially mini vans, some of which must be doing well over 120 K`s even when the road is busy.  Hope you can find a safer alternative.

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

I have driven on the road to Poipet several times and the poor standard of the mini bus drivers has to be seen to be believed.  I can only guess that they were doing visa runs but almost without exception they drove like maniacs, sometimes overtaking lines of vehicles and almost forcing on coming traffic into the ditch.  I stick to the 90 K`s speed limit and I am overtaken by everything on that road, especially mini vans, some of which must be doing well over 120 K`s even when the road is busy.  Hope you can find a safer alternative.

I know the road your talking about,straight and goes on forever.Everyone on the wrong side of the road forcing the other side off the road almost.

it's terrifying, truly...

I've taken the van to Trat to go to Koh Chang and I shit myself.

Fucked up how goofy they drive.

The missus is sleeping and I'm white knuckling it the whole way.

Not my idea of a holiday,shitting myself at the back of a mini van thinking how I'm going to get out when it's upside down in the ditch.

I've taken the van to Trat to go to Koh Chang and I shit myself.

Fucked up how goofy they drive.

The missus is sleeping and I'm white knuckling it the whole way.

Not my idea of a holiday,shitting myself at the back of a mini van thinking how I'm going to get out when it's upside down in the ditch.

+1

the like button isn't working for me...

555555555555555!

+1

the like button isn't working for me...

555555555555555!

No worries.I "liked" it for you.lol.

Most visa places ( including first class visa ) can organize a private car to take you.about 4,500฿ from memory. Get them to pick you up early, you want to beat all those mini buses.

My guy came late and had to stop twice. We got there just after all the mini buses and had to wait fucking ages. He did drive safely. He got no tip though and I told him why.

I'm sure if you got 2 or 3 guys the cost would come down quite a bit.

It seems the more i stay in Pattaya the more scared i am becoming of travelling anywhere by minibus,watching the daily crashes on the news doesnt help.My last visa run with 1st class visa runs was awful.The driver was a maniac.

Can anyone recommend a company with a "careful driver" or any other ideas that are quick and dont cost much money?

Many Thanks

Well the best advise I can give you is, if you stay here for long time then get a retirement visa if you are above 50 years of age or get student visa by joining one of many institutes for languages here, you get a 15 months visa with almost 25000 baht and you at the same time can learn the language too.

Now choice is yours save money or save your life.

I had a bad experience on my first visa run last year. The mini van was held up a little when they had problems locating where I was staying, so we were about 40 minutes behind expected departure time. One more pickup at Naklua and off we went.

The driver of the mini van thought he was Sebastian Vettel. He was overtaking everything and anything, oncoming traffic, no problem, around blind spot bends, no problems. I was terrified but everyone else in the van went about it as if nothing was happening, reading books etc. When we finally had our first (pit) stop I went over to the female guide and said "why is the driver going so fast and driving so dangerously?". She looked at me and said  "Because we are late" I said " Late for what?" she couldn't answer me.

I thought he must have been driving so fast because we were late from original departure time schedule but after reading all your posts here it is evident that it is common practice. These guys take all these risks to save a little time from their jobs but put their own and the passengers lives in mortal danger.

I have been a professional driver for many years driving everything from cars to prime movers and I recognise dangerous driving when I see it ,not that you need to be a professional driver to notice it. That is the very same reason I stopped taking cabs from Bangkok airport to Pattaya initially. These morons tailgate at 130 klm per hour. The 3 second rule would have you about 15 car lengths at that speed and these blokes are almost touching fenders. That was until my last bus trip when the bus driver made only one of the advertised 4 stops in Pattaya and then drove us straight to Jomtien without the remaining stops even though a lot of us were telling the driver to stop. So much for the bus solution.

What I did last time at Bangkok airport, I rang the taxi company and told the operator that I wanted a cab but the driver was to drive slowly. He said Ok and I told the driver as I entered that he needs to drive slow otherwise I wouldn't get in he said ok and all was fine, problem solved. You can even tell them if you speed (and the agreed price is 1000 eg ) you will pay only 800 and if he drives properly you will give him 1200, but you have to negotiate before the fare begins.

Thank you for that info, OP.

I was just about to book a Laos run with them.....will give them a pass now.

It's not ideal for everyone but I've done the Laos run by train. Book the first class overnight sleeper and turn it into a few days holiday.

Vientiane is a very chilled city and I quite enjoy going there which takes some of the chore out of it.

a few years ago some family members were travelling back to Bangkok airport from my house to travel back to the uk.I booked them a minibus taxi.The driver was travelling so fast and dangerous,tailgating,etc that my neice and nephew threw up half way through the trip.(outside the van though).When my mrs sister told the twat to slow down he said he wasn't slowing down and this is slow for Thailand,he didn't give a shit.My mum,dad, sister and a lot of my wifes family were on there.Dread to think what might have happened.I blamed myself for booking it.Also he managed to scam them out of an extra 500bt as he told them I hadn't paid the deposit,which I had.

I have also travelled on a public bus from Pattaya to Maha Sarakham and he also spent 90% of the time driving on the wrong side of the road,overtaking on blind bends on mountain roads,was shitting myself for 9 hours.

I've taken 1st Class Visa runs twice. It was so hairy I gave the driver 200Bt to slow down. He did; from 140 to 130. They are insane. Last time I said screw it and flew from BKK to PP. Pain in the ass and lots more expensive. There seems to be no satisfactory middle ground.

I've taken 1st Class Visa runs twice. It was so hairy I gave the driver 200Bt to slow down. He did; from 140 to 130. They are insane. Last time I said screw it and flew from BKK to PP. Pain in the ass and lots more expensive. There seems to be no satisfactory middle ground.

Do you know if the boss of 1st Class is a board member on here?

I have just got back from a visa run to Cambodia...it was fast as fuck....but very good driving.
At least I think it was....I was mostly catching flys and drooling on myself in the back.

We left Pattaya @ 6.50 am and returned @ 2.00 pm.

Maybe I have been here too long...but I have just become more fatalistic...if it is my day to die...so be it.

Ive done a couple of Visa runs over the border at Mae Sai, ( Thai - Burma ). They cost me 500 baht last time, last year and was quick and easy.

Ive also used a company in Bangkok a few times. Charged 2000 baht, left at 08.30AM in an air conditioned coach, the price included a meal ( chicken fried rice ). You feel a little safer in a coach which is much bigger than a minibus. Cant remenber the name of the company but they advertise regularly in the The Bangkok Post newspaper and they do have a website.

For me now I either schedule a trip to Angeles or somewhere else when I need to start a new visa. Many of my mates have used Darren at Key Visa, he will sort for you without you having to leave Pattaya, but obviously its a bit more expensive. But then if you are genuinely worried for your life you wont mind paying more........................will you?

Airasia to Udon Thani.

Get a shuttle to NongKhai.

Across the Friendship Bridge and spend a night.

Laos is top place. Super Chilled.

Khop Jai Deu Restaurant/ Bar.

Bor Phen Yang Bar.

Riverfront. Cheap, Cheap.

Nice break from the Madness of Patts and you can get a 60 day visa from there, no probs.

take a bus but make it a vip the most expensive you can find -  I refuse to travel by minibus if avoidable for the danger factor. 

Archived