IGNORED

Thai tourism in danger due to Thai attitudes of foreigners

nixonsbest

I have been going to Thailand for 13 years now , mostly Samui and have certainly seen a change in attitudes of the Thais , not towards me but towards other tourists mostly of the mainstream sort who try and treat the thais like servants in colonial times , even though we mongers are looked down on by family tourists i think that we treat the thais as equals because we spend more time with them whereas the mainstream tourists interaction with thais is only to be served by them

"And were you pleased?" they asked Helen in Hell.

"Pleased?" answered she,when all Troy's towers fell;

And dead were Priam´s sons, and lost his throne?

And such a war was fought as none had known;

And even the Gods took part; and all because

Of me alone! Pleased?

I should say I was!"

Lord Dunsany

Meebal.com

Looking at the source of this article we discover the publication " is a fledgling news and topical article blog.”  There are no actual details regarding the ownership other than to say that there are two guys writing the articles and they accept stories from readers. They do have a facebook contact to a Rickey Parkany who works as a “maths Teacher” in Chatsworth International School; Singapore. Rickey is a product of the New York education system and seems to supplement his income working for a variety of NGOs including one that develops Micro-enterprises for single Thai women.

I am assuming that Rickey is the “editor” to whom the article is attributed. 

This blog is hardly a “news Article” and seems to be aimed at getting the Thai Government to increase their education budget which will help Rickey to promote his expertise in developing "designing & installing the AP Physics Curriculum at Thai-Chinese International School (TCIS); Bangkok"

With this in mind the blog is simply an unsupported collection of comments with almost no facts. The author has grabbed a few news items and woven them in to support his opinion. The point is that it is just an opinion and I believe it is put forward with an agenda. 

My view is that tourism in Thailand is as good as anywhere in the world and better than most. The country gets invaded by people from all over the world and mostly the population is extremely friendly. There are always some who just love to criticise but you can never please them all.

There are some that only employ words for the purpose of disguising their thoughts.

Voltaire

This seems like an editorial trying to look like a news report. It isn't well written. The gun violence data immediately told me it was a suspicious crock. (Thanks to the earlier poster for the Google links).

I agree this was written with an agenda and while I agree with a few points, it was a waste of my time. Oh well, since I am retired I have plenty of time to waste and I can't spend all of it mongering.

Lemme know when Thailand starts crashing remote controlled military aircraft into buildings that are prewired with explosives, thermate and micro-nukes to start 4 illegal wars.

That's is Major League Corruption.

Thailand has good shopping, good hotel prices (lower than Vietnam and Indonesia), and the promise of a bit of discreet RandR. Beaches are OK (better than Vietnam) , no rapacious visa fees (better that .vn or IDR). 80% recommend to friends, whereas .vn only gets a 5% repeat visit rate.

On the downside is the high Baht, and China's hunger to steal the low value added factories back, and succeeding to some extent (moreso in .vn). Hong Kong used to be cheap, not any more. The high value added factories are also going..

Tourism is a funny business. The most important aspect is NETT spend, and that the money stays in the country.  Right now , Korean and Chinese tourism is saving their hide. I suspect the Russians spend most of their money at Russian places. Large Real estate  bets on 2015 is now 2016 and .. who knows.

A Japanese tourist with a colossal daily spend and pigs out on imported goodies, but is only there a few days, is worth less than a British backpacker who is there a whole month.  A Cambodian tourist is not worth much at all, nor are huge volumes of Chinese on Chinese 'package' tours where they stay and eat in Chinese owned/ controlled concerns right down to a Chinese themed place on Walking Street. Repeat for other nationalities.

Thailands biggest problem is the Philippines, who now, get it. And just wait till they come over in 2016 and put the locals out of work. They have English skills, and less greedy (the package is a winner). The other issue is Americans who see thier spending power rise at home and simply decide not to visit or stay a full week less.  Malaysia is also working on getting 'better' .

Thailand needs to work harder, and do more, because the 'framework' cancer is growing. Combined with Chinese Airlines siphoning passengers Via China, they should worry. Only Chinese toliets keep foreigners away. Upshot is, they must tinker with the formula and the 'norms' , and break the population

into being 'nicer'.

I don't feel I'm treated badly as a tourist in Thailand. In fact I think Thailand does tourism rather well.

Mai bpen rai.

yes, felt safer in pattaya than in my own flat in glasgow-treated VERY well, apart from one bit of moo bar related unpleasantness, involving enticing me with attractive young chick, who was unavailable when it came to the crunch;well, no crunch, actually, I was able to express my annoyance, if nothing else, and escape into the early evening with cash still in pocket....the misguided duplicity was crass and counterproductive, clumsy and just plain thick.....

What is the saying,"Put up or Shut up." If you dont like Thailand leave, no one is forcing you to stay or visit. Go to the Philippines, visit Manila and other locations see how great it is there, yes the people are friendly women super fine, they speak English, but the Food well you might like it who knows, the culture well dont go for the culture, and if you are complaining about violence in Thailand, well Philippines takes it to another level, every where you go you will see Armed Guards even in front of a McDonalds, that maybe safe for you.  

What is most important is that what is lacking is that most Foreigners dont have any knowledge of the local customs and culture, it is very important to know how the people think an operate, it is very different from the Western way of thinking, this is one reason people get very frustrated, its not the locals fault they are just doing what they always have, we are suppose to be ambassadors for our nation and as such should respect the country we are in. 

:DeadHorse2:

Cheers,

<center><embed src="http://www.countdownclockcodes.com/cd/ccc-vacation/show.swf?clickURL=http://www.countdownclockcodes.com/vacation-countdown-clocks/&clickLABEL=CountdownClockCodes.com&flashLABEL=CountdownClockCodes.com&skin=http://www.countdownclockcodes.com/cd/ccc-vacation/skins/3.jpg&text=Paradise%20Here%20I%20come%2C%20ready%20or%20not&untilColor=6724095&textColor=0&datesColor=0&year=2017&month=11&day=19&hour=22&minute=21&second=8&x=6&y=77" quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="300" height="200" name="countdown" align="middle" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" /><br><small><a href="http://www.countdownclockcodes.com/vacation-countdown-clocks/">CountdownClockCodes.com</a></small></center>

Agree 100% with article. Those of us who have lived here for a long time will have noticed the self destruction, crime, arrogance and ignorance prevalent in Thailand. It has deteriorated rapidly over the past few years and is in a downward spiral

The country is not exactly governed by Nobel laureates. The recent election campaign - that was a transparent farce - provides ample evidence of this.

They have the golden goose, so there is no impending need to make changes in regards to the treatment of tourists.

The term "poor little rich kids" comes to mind.

I think the writer has never been in thailand befor. I have been in LOS for many years and I had never any pronlem with anyone. Any problem can be solved with a smile. Lovely peple, Lovely Pat,BKK,Phoket and I think that is part of heaven. I am agree with Valen that If you walk about with a smile, greet everyone with a smile, be polite and respectful, then you will get all that in return.

Agree 100% with article. Those of us who have lived here for a long time will have noticed the self destruction, crime, arrogance and ignorance prevalent in Thailand. It has deteriorated rapidly over the past few years and is in a downward spiral

I can't understand how someone who feels that way would choose to live there.

My two cents

- Family tourism might go down. There are better options for vacations.

- Mongering tourism will not get impacted. 

I had been to Pattaya and I did notice multiple scams. So its like vacation with your guards always on.  :GoldenSmile1:

My two cents

- Family tourism might go down. There are better options for vacations.

- Mongering tourism will not get impacted. 

I had been to Pattaya and I did notice multiple scams. So its like vacation with your guards always on.  :GoldenSmile1:

Go... stay ....  UP TO YOU!!!  :GoldenSmile1:

I can't understand how someone who feels that way would choose to live there.

It's the same reason why the "Pattaya is doomed" crowd continue to visit/live in Pattaya despite all their grumblings, the easy availability of Thai pussy.

Thai pussy trumps all.

They sit there and complain and badmouth everything and anything, but still continue to frequent Thailand. Strange folks.

GFE: Gull Friend Experience

Official Pattaya Song

Archived