IGNORED

Thai tourism in danger due to Thai attitudes of foreigners

nixonsbest

THAI TOURISM IN DANGER DUE TO THAI ATTITUDES OF FOREIGNERS – Thailand is currently suffering from a downturn in exports.  This is attributed to many global factors of demand and of course the strength of the Bath; which the Government appears unwilling to tackle.

What could save the economy is Thailand’s tourist industry; however over the last few years this also has experience a downturn.

Asia-Map.jpg

Thailand currently has a number of tourism related issues that many feel are critical to address if Thailand is to be able to compete against other neighbouring countries that are embracing tourism for all it is worth, such a Malaysia and Singapore.

So what are the problems that Thailand must deal with in order to compete?  There are the usual concerns such a safety and the rising level of violent crime.  Whilst Thailand has a population of just 1/6th that of the United States it’s gun related crime is six times higher.

On top of that we have the continuous reports of foreign tourists being mugged, scammed and raped; all of which are taking their toll on the number of foreign tourists visiting Thailand.

Read:

Thai Tourist Minister Tries to Block Thailand Rape Video Thai Police Try to Extort Cash from Tragedy Victim Thailand a Deadly Tourist Destination

Put aside the most prevalent news of the issues above and look a little deeper and it becomes apparent that Thailand lacks friendly staff, services are generally sub-standard and communication difficult due to the lack of tourist related employees being able to speak English; even at a rudimentary level.

For a tourism industry to flourish a number of key ingredients are needed; safety, friendliness, competency and above all the ability to communicate.

If Thailand wants to compete with other Asean members then it must adopt a far better standard of education; so that Thais may communicate in a friendly, helpful and effective manner with their foreign guests.

Of course, for this to occur, the Thai authorities and Thai people must change their attitudes towards foreign nationals.  Foreign tourists should never be viewed upon as simply being cash-cows but rather as valued guests that allow Thais to learn about other cultures.  Tourism, when handled by an effective Government, produces benefits not only for its country in economical terms but also in the education of it people as it promotes a wider understanding.

Read:

Corruption in the Thai Education System

A recent study by the Centre for International Trade Studies, at the University of the Thai Chamber of Commerce clearly shows that the Thai economy could sustain itself through tourism even during a downturn in exports if the tourism critical issues were addressed.

The question now is; ‘are the Thais able to learn these skills?’  That in itself is obvious in that anyone, regardless of nationality, is able to learn new skills if there is sufficient Desire and therefore the question has to be presented; ‘are Thais willing to learn the skills required for a successful tourist industry?’

The answer to that lays in both the Government and the people.  The Thai Government must address the issues of its education system and notably the corruption within the country. With a stable education system Thai citizens can then adequately learn to communicate and above all appreciate different cultures so that their attitudes change from the narcissistic and nationalistic stance that Thais are the superior race and that all other nationalities are little more than second class citizens.

Read:

Will the Thai Economy Collapse Under the Strain of Greed and Corruption? Thailand a Nation of Irrational Racists Thai University Student Poses with Graduation Banner Giving a Seig Heil

Thailand is now due to joining the Asean Economic Community (AEC) in 2016; after postponing its entry in 2015.  If Thailand is unable to quickly address these critical areas then not only could it see a continued downturn in import/export trade but it could also result in its tourist industry fading to its neighbouring competitors and as such will almost certainly have a devastating impact on the Thai economy.

The time for rhetoric and useless populist polices, such as the ‘Rice Pledging Scheme’ has to be put aside and the Government must, at all costs, concentrate on providing an education system for its citizens that will allow them to effectively compete with other AEC members.

There are some quarters who feel that come 2016 the Thai Government will once again postpone entry into AEC due to being unable to tackle the core and fundamental issues Thailand has and yet the longer such measures are delay the more damage is likely to impact the Thai economy as it becomes almost segregated from the rest of South East Asia.
According to Government figures Thailand is expected to attract nearly 35 million foreign visitors a year by 2020.  The tourist industry could generate, according to Government figures, up to 2 trillion Thai Baht annually; accounting for over 11% of Thailand’s Gross Domestic Product (GDP).

Currently Malaysia is ahead of the tourism numbers with approximately 25 million visitors a year compared to Thailand’s reported 22 million.  Of course neighbouring countries such as Vietnam, the Philippines, Cambodia, Laos are also concentrating on the tourist trade and as Myanmar steps into the scene the number of foreign tourists available is being spread even thinner.

There is no doubt that Thailand is at a crossroads and it has a clear choice but whether those ruling the country will sacrifice their power and wealth through their continued control is another matter but will ultimately seal the fate of Thailand as a nation and tourist destination.

http://meebal.com/thai-tourism-danger-due-thai-attitudes-foreigners/

PS:  Dear on the edge I tried to edit, but cannot edit the title, thanks again for your post and communication on behalf of the Mods you are worth bottling, cheero

Why give Mods unnecessary extra work by putting titles in CAPITALS?

I do apologize, it was a cut and paste.  Do you have any thoughts on the article?  Or you are just concerned about the the mods workload?  Was this a one of post or do you moderate all the new topics that have capitals in the heading, keep up the good work you are a credit to this forum. 

I do apologize, it was a cut and paste.  Do you have any thoughts on the article?  Or you are just concerned about the the mods workload?  Was this a one of post or do you moderate all the new topics that have capitals in the heading, keep up the good work you are a credit to this forum. 

I read it, but there was nothing new there worthy of comment IMO (the mis-spelling of the word 'Baht' usually affects my opinion though) ..............

...................so, just my concern about the Mods' workload really.

I would have deleted my post, but no point now you've quoted it.  :hello09:

I don't feel I'm treated badly as a tourist in Thailand. In fact I think Thailand does tourism rather well.

Mai bpen rai.

PS:  Dear on the edge I tried to edit, but cannot edit the title, thanks again for your post and communication on behalf of the Mods you are worth bottling, cheero

Clearly your editing rights are still active, so perhaps you didn't know that you have to click on Full Editor to edit the Title?  

Hope that helps.   :hello09:

Just to add, I found the tone of the article a little 'poisoned' myself.

I couldn't work out it's source, but probably some plagiarism involved?

It seemed a little too political rather than factual - another agenda perhaps.

I thought tourism was booming to Thailand, wasn't like Bangkok having most visitors ever last year or something?

Anyways, nothing short of an act of god will keep tourists away from easy :BJ4::09::23:

GFE: Gull Friend Experience

Official Pattaya Song

less tourists = better mongering

as for the article, did they even mention Russian and Chinese tourists?

One of the big things they have to teach the Thais - especially in Pattaya - is that Pattaya is a tourist zone - not mainstream Thailand

As such pedestrian crossings are exactly what they say they are - and tourists who visit first time have an expectation that when they cross at one - the pedestrian has right of way

However the Thais attitude is that they are in the way and go faster to force them to retreat or run across the road

Once they start enforcing this with fines the Thais will learn

Fair play to the baht bus drivers - they do slow down for tourists to cross - it may however that they do so because they think they are going to get into their bus

It'd be nice if all the tour groups and backpackers went to those other beautiful Asian countries and we can have Thailand all to our self :GoldenSmile1:

As such pedestrian crossings are exactly what they say they are - and tourists who visit first time have an expectation that when they cross at one - the pedestrian has right of way

:LOL2:  That describes my first experience, had to cross back to my hotel & change pants

It'd be nice if all the tour groups and backpackers went to those other beautiful Asian countries and we can have Thailand all to our self :GoldenSmile1:

:LOL2:  That describes my first experience, had to cross back to my hotel & change pants

Try Ha Noi

never had problems in thailand , they should go in vietnam see people treat tourists

(the mis-spelling of the word 'Baht' usually affects my opinion though) ..............

Yeah, I stopped reading once I saw that.

up to you

a group of red shirts can be at my gate when i arrive in bkk airport and if i can juke past them when i exit the plane & avoid getting hit my broomhandles and chicken skewers, i can stay in thailand- if not, i take a little beating and try till i make it- I'd run that f'in gamble without even thinking.

the article sounds like it was written by a person who has never been to thailand, or a woman.

it really went against everything i experienced in my 7 trips to thailand. i never had an issue with a thai. never had an issue that couldn't be handled with a smile, or a joking poke at high prices (a cab driver trying to charge us through the ass and we jokingly say something in thai, diffuses the nonsense and gets the price back down to earth), so im not sure what the article was talking about. sure, tourists get killed and its very, very, very sad, but thats less than 1% of the visits and it will apply based on how you react.

i always thought japanese were the nicest people when i visited there a lot, now that ive been to thailand so much, i can easily say thai people win the award. they are incredible. im off topic but thats my 2 cents.

The report says the tourism in the last few years has suffered a downturn but the official stats say that more each year have been coming, ok more Ruskies etc and maybe mongerers have suffered but thats because of the economy in the west not because of a surly waitress in a bar or hotel that does not smile when you ask her something she does not understand.

Not enough people do any homework when they go on holiday and then moan because all Thai's do not speak English.

Maybe staff if hotels in UK /USA /AUS etc can speak many languages to communicate with guests, I think not so what is the difference, to have a well trained English speaking Thai staff would cost the business much more hence prices being higher then tourists would moan because of the higher prices.

Maybe if Thailand got too clever it would take away the draw of it all, do as the Thai's do, just get on with it or as the add says JUST DO IT.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$AFBADGE.jpg

All Asian countries are like that....They can never ever live upto the standards of western countries...

I'm from India and I have been saying this to all farangs....Asians will never ever be like you in terms of honesty....

All these farangs are too selfish even to realize whats happening to their own kind...they are just waiting for their turn to be F***ed up in Thailand....

They always say..I went to Asia for 20 years and nothing happened to me but never look into the facts that farangs have been raped, killed, mugged more than what Asians suffer in western countries even illegal immigrants...

Its a f***king disgrace to all asians to support open crimes in Thailand against tourists...

When Asians go to western countries they can become lawyers, engineers, doctors, celebrities..hell they can even open a strip club but when a white guy tries to do anything in Asia..all hell breaks loose and all he could do is become an english teacher...and the elites makes sure that they spread the age old propaganda of white people colonizing poor Asians....even Japan and korea is not as opened to westerner as they are to them....

To all western tourists.Please be very careful of Asian countries...they may look small and weak to you but the evil thats inside them is beyond mother earth can handle...don't be stupid to look for yourself...think about your own kind..before you say...I have been coming to Thailand for 20+ years and nothing happeing to me..Its beyond selfish...You are killing your soul with these words...

To all western tourists.Please be very careful of Asian countries...they may look small and weak to you but the evil thats inside them is beyond mother earth can handle...don't be stupid to look for yourself...think about your own kind..before you say...I have been coming to Thailand for 20+ years and nothing happeing to me..Its beyond selfish...You are killing your soul with these words...

jackie-chan-wtf-face-i16.jpg

Yeah, I stopped reading once I saw that.

Th = t, otherwise It would be written as Badt. Dt = dt, not t. The mistake lies in not realizing that th is not pronounced or tranlated to the th in the English the.

One thing I agree with the report is that Thailand is rife with corruption, but then again most countries are, some just disguise it better than others.

Just read it & thought - what a load of old crap!

& that go's for lavista's post too.

The only problem I found was that rude & Baht-less lot coming in on cheap deals from india.

With the rupee dropping like a stone - perhaps they soon can't afford the bus fare down to Patts.

I mean:

6 of them in a go-go with 1 drink between them - whilst they're all feeling up the girls.

Or 1 takes a girl from a bar to his loom - where 8 more are waiting to screw her!

Hope it soon reaches 2000+ to the Dollar!

Thai tourism is far from 'in danger'.

Bangkok is the world's most visited city.

THE MOST VISITED CITY in the world!

Thailand has a looooong way to fall before tourism is in danger.

Sure there are problems galore but that is not stopping people from everywhere coming here.

Also, love the goonies photo 17hours!

All Asian countries are like that....They can never ever live upto the standards of western countries...

I'm from India and I have been saying this to all farangs....Asians will never ever be like you in terms of honesty....

All these farangs are too selfish even to realize whats happening to their own kind...they are just waiting for their turn to be F***ed up in Thailand....

They always say..I went to Asia for 20 years and nothing happened to me but never look into the facts that farangs have been raped, killed, mugged more than what Asians suffer in western countries even illegal immigrants...

Its a f***king disgrace to all asians to support open crimes in Thailand against tourists...

When Asians go to western countries they can become lawyers, engineers, doctors, celebrities..hell they can even open a strip club but when a white guy tries to do anything in Asia..all hell breaks loose and all he could do is become an english teacher...and the elites makes sure that they spread the age old propaganda of white people colonizing poor Asians....even Japan and korea is not as opened to westerner as they are to them....

and indians people they are more honest than asian people lol

I believe it all depends on the behavior and attitudes of the tourists.  Those who are nice people with common sense, and have done their homework on the country will have a wonderful experience.  It's the narcissistic/egomanic/bigoted tourists that usually cause the problems.  If you walk about with a smile, greet everyone with a smile, be polite and respectful, then you will get all that in return.  Too many people, esp. from America, think that the worlds owes them, so everyone should bow down and kiss their feet.  I see it in the US all the time, even when people go to local restaurants.  They behave holier than thou too many times.  It must be that whole sense of entitlement issue that's been occurring for the past decade.  It's disgusting.

I wish these clumsy tourists would stop damaging these jet skis . How can the jet ski operators make a living if their boats are continually being damaged.

Sex without love is an empty experience;

But as empty experiences go, it is one of the best.

I wish these clumsy tourists would stop damaging these jet skis . How can the jet ski operators make a living if their boats are continually being damaged.

So true. Amazing how inconsiderate people can be.

I personally worry about the longevity of taxi meters and wish more operators would be concientious enough to limit their use.

Sorry, but I SERIOUSLY doubted that Thailand had more firearm-related crimes than the USA, so I Googled it.

Here is an article by Forbes magazine (which I consider a HIGHLY reputable publication), and Thailand is NOT ahead of the USA (but the Philippines is):

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kenrapoza/2012/12/17/worst-countries-for-firearms-related-deaths/

Here's another one, that shows number of civilian-owned guns:  http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/special/nation/gun-homicides-ownership/table/

USA: 270 million (88.8 guns per 100 people)

Thailand: 10 million (15.6 guns per 100 people)

No stats from Thailand on gun-related deaths, but, again, I find it hard to believe that more people are killed by 10 million guns than by 270 million....

Maybe it's because I was looking at death, not crimes....

Archived