IGNORED

Cheap smartphone device to use in Thailand for couple months?

I'm planning to travel Thailand for couple months.

What smartphone type would be the best to use for couple months and sell it?  Samsung Android or iPhone?  Which model?

I'm planning to get a new smartphone next year that i'm planning to use it for only short term.  Would it be better to bring unlocked phone from US or buy it in Thailand?

The primary purpose will be using Google translation for communication.  So device that's more popular among Thais will be preferable.

Thanks in advance.

Cheap smart phone!!! Plenty to find

Smasung Grand : 5inch display around 10000 Bhat

Umi X2 : 5 inch 1080P dispay around 8000 Baht

Zopo C2 : 5 inch 1080P dispay around 7000 Baht

Plenty of cheap Chinese phone with good built quality available and off course they are all Android phone.

Also can try Nokia 520 or 720 and these are Windows 8 phone.

iPhone is good but they are still expensive. 

My wife is a sex object. Every time I ask for sex, she objects..

Have a look here - literally 1000's of em.

You can never take back ......
  • A moment after it's missed
  • A word after it's said
  • Time after it's been wasted

Bring your unlocked smartphone from home , Buy a Thai Sim card and your set . Note you will need your passport to do this

What you need your passport for? <br /><br />True sim is free at the airport no questions asked

Buy a blackberry , and 899 a month for internet and bmm.

see blackberry's goes for 4000/5000 k and everythingworks fine, mail, youtube,facebook ect...

Androids always cheaper than apple. HTC and Samsung are good brands, I prefer HTC but either are good.

Pattaya, you can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave.

If I had to suggest something to you it would be to get the phone before you get over there so you are used to the operating system of the phone and everything you need to use when over there. 

A couple of times I've tried new phones just for Thailand and they completely frustrated me as I was not familiar with it.

Buy it where you are and get used to it before heading out so you are not wasting time over there on your holiday. 

My Youtube Channel about everything Thailand - TravInThailand

Androids always cheaper than apple. HTC and Samsung are good brands, I prefer HTC but either are good.

And you get what you pay for. I'm back and sticking to iOS. 

Have a look here - literally 1000's of em.

After a search, keyword "iPhone 5" I came up with a bunch of fake iPhones for $5.

Why in the world would they sell a"Non-Working Fake Dummy iPhone5"!?

Any second hand android with GSM and has 3G frequencies 850 + 900 and 2100 mhz. will do.

Apple is not better than Android. Just different and more possibilities. Since the OP asked for CHEAP, would apple be a good choice ?

Stick to what you are used to, regarding OS.

Dont buy any symbian / nokia or so. Rubbish operating system.

Windows mobile : dont go for version 6 or 7. Rubbish.

If you want Dtac, just buy it at 7/11. No id asked. Tourist Sim has international text for 5 thb, 15 bht free call value and 1 day unlimited internet - sim costs 45 bht

Sometimes the worst decisions bring us to the best places

See my trip reports    First time out there  Second trip report   Third trip report 2016

And top it up with your credit card on the dtac site, don't buy a prepay card. Got one in the mail, buggered if I know how to work it.

Pattaya, you can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave.

Go to a place called Tukcom in Pattaya, everyone knows where it's at. They have propbably thousands of smartphone and any other phone you could possibly want. All sim cards or pay as you go.

Mr. International:

Trip report #1

Trip report #2

Trip report #3

img0547aa.jpg

Any second hand android with GSM and has 3G frequencies 850 + 900 and 2100 mhz. will do.

Apple is not better than Android. Just different and more possibilities. Since the OP asked for CHEAP, would apple be a good choice ?

Stick to what you are used to, regarding OS.

My earlier comment was about cheap phones vs decent ones - not platforms.

You can get older phones like the 3GS these days pretty cheap. Apple dumped them with lots of free accounts, and as it gets left behind with iOS 7, expect the market to flood with them soon. IPhone 4s should drop too - they're on the edge of iOS 7. 

Dont buy any symbian / nokia or so. Rubbish operating system.

Windows mobile : dont go for version 6 or 7. Rubbish.

If you want Dtac, just buy it at 7/11. No id asked. Tourist Sim has international text for 5 thb, 15 bht free call value and 1 day unlimited internet - sim costs 45 bht

Symbian is dead - the last phone has been canceled by Sony in the past month (and as an owner of several Sony P-series smartphones, they were crap at support).  The new Windows mobile IS a decent OS, but if you're judging it by how many people support it, it's early days. You could have said the same things about Android 2 years ago or iOS in 2007-2008.

But definitely spend some real quality time with the phone you're considering; each OS has it's pros and cons, and depending on what you expect your relationship with the phone will be, the joy/pain-balance will be the deciding factor. 

My earlier comment was about cheap phones vs decent ones - not platforms.

You can get older phones like the 3GS these days pretty cheap. Apple dumped them with lots of free accounts, and as it gets left behind with iOS 7, expect the market to flood with them soon. IPhone 4s should drop too - they're on the edge of iOS 7. 

3GS in 2013? I hope you aren't serious!

Symbian  is dead - the last phone has been canceled by Sony in the past month (and as an owner of several Sony P-series smartphones, they were crap at support).  The new Windows mobile IS a decent OS, but if you're judging it by how many people support it, it's early days. You could have said the same things about Android 2 years ago or iOS in 2007-2008.
Android is older than iOS

But definitely spend some real quality time with the phone you're considering; each OS has it's pros and cons, and depending on what you expect your relationship with the phone will be, the joy/pain-balance will be the deciding factor. 

OS is very much important these days so stick to

Android Jelly bean 4.2 +

iOS6 +

WP 8 +

BB 10 +

:hello09:

3GS in 2013? I hope you aren't serious!

I am serious - the OP asked for a good cheap phone, not the most-powerful phone or the latest phone. A 3GS will give him a standard sim, GPS, digital compass, is reasonably small to carry around, full messaging & email, a very basic 2MP camera, browser, etc - but also access to all the existing iPhone apps...full compatibility with that huge library. "Cheap" Android models usually are usually stuck at older revisions of the operating system and can't be upgraded, so you lose a lot of the library. Not with a 3GS. 

If their first priority is cost, and the what they can do with it, then think about it - it's a good suggestion.

Android is older than iOS

No - Android in it's current form is not. This is a typical pro-Android nonsense that was debunked in the Apple/Samsung case. 

From PC World

android_before_after_iphone-11352342.jpg

Google stopped copying Blackberry and started copying Apple after the 2007 release. If you need a timeline: 

asustab.004.jpg

Android completely shifted gears, threw out the old APIs and graphic toolboxes and went on an iPhone copy binge after the launch, the courts and others have said.

2008 is the first Android phone, but realistically - when we talk about viable smartphones - we're talking about phones with an ecosystem of software and upgradable OS's. That's really only the last 2 major releases of Android, and no-one wants to even talk about anything before Jelly Bean now. The original iPhone got 2 major OS releases beyond v1 (I think it stopped at v3.1.4?)...until recently Android phones have been abandonware. If you want the new OS, buy a new phone. 

OS is very much important these days so stick to

Android Jelly bean 4.2 +

iOS6 +

WP 8 +

BB 10 +

Again - read the title of the thread: 

Cheap being the operative word.

I suggested the 3GS as they're relatively cheap, reliable, supported with software and usually have a great resale value in LOS. You can get them for a steal in western countries now. If he's going to use it just for a few months, then it's an ideal smartphone…

If you want to compare it to the latest-and-greatest, we can have another thread, but again - that's not this one. 

I am serious - the OP asked for a good cheap phone, not the most-powerful phone or the latest phone. A 3GS will give him a standard sim, GPS, digital compass, is reasonably small to carry around, full messaging & email, a very basic 2MP camera, browser, etc - but also access to all the existing iPhone apps...full compatibility with that huge library. "Cheap" Android models usually are usually stuck at older revisions of the operating system and can't be upgraded, so you lose a lot of the library. Not with a 3GS. 

If you look back to my 1st post than you can figured it out what i have suggested! 

In my eyes in 2013 no chance in hell for 3GS can be any good alternative to budgeted Android phones with, MediaTek quad core 1.2+ Ghz processor,  which comes with 4+ inch HD display, Android 4.1+ OS, 1+ GB RAM, Power VR SGX5 series GPU, 8+ & 2+ mega pixel of cameras and 2000+ mah battery at a price tag of 150-300 USD. 

If their first priority is cost, and the what they can do with it, then think about it - it's a good suggestion.

No - Android in it's current form is not. This is a typical pro-Android nonsense that was debunked in the Apple/Samsung case. 

Android completely shifted gears, threw out the old APIs and graphic toolboxes and went on an iPhone copy binge after the launch, the courts and others have said.

It doesn't matter in which form but Android existed before iOS!

Have you ever thought apple sued Samsung for copying just their Icon design but never dare to sue Google? Food for thought.

2008 is the first Android phone, but realistically - when we talk about viable smartphones - we're talking about phones with an ecosystem of software and upgradable OS's. That's really only the last 2 major releases of Android, and no-one wants to even talk about anything before Jelly Bean now. The original iPhone got 2 major OS releases beyond v1 (I think it stopped at v3.1.4?)...until recently Android phones have been abandonware. If you want the new OS, buy a new phone. 

I guess neither of us member of any fanboy's club, so instead of going Google vs Apple traditional bashing, i agree Jellybean made android more polished and superior now, but it doesn't mean Apple is doing excellent job in their current OS development, iOS 7 is a joke btw.

I am such a person who appreciate new technologies & innovation and never shy from buying any device which is good piece of technology.  

Apple has never been great in inventing new technologies apart from "Mouse" and in the era of touch screen things are tougher now without Steve job!

Btw Apple touch screen technologies came from buying Fingerworks! Getting the camera sensor from Sony, Screen from Sharp, manufacturing in a Chinese plant (place that people says sweat shop) and so on! 

Again - read the title of the thread: 

Cheap being the operative word.

I suggested the 3GS as they're relatively cheap, reliable, supported with software and usually have a great resale value in LOS. You can get them for a steal in western countries now. If he's going to use it just for a few months, then it's an ideal smartphone…

If you want to compare it to the latest-and-greatest, we can have another thread, but again - that's not this one. 

MediaTek quad core Android phones wins in every expects my friend.  :hello09:

An HTC Wildfire S should fit the bill. You should be able to get one for $100 before you leave home, just make sure it's unlocked and takes a sim card. Not the best phone in the world but good enough to use with Thai networks and no great loss if you lose it or only get a few dollars for it when you're ready to upgrade.

I use an old unlocked iphone 3gs.... it does the job well.. everything I want it to do, including tethering to my lap top if needed...  It has made heaps of trips and I have never had a problem with it.

I think one thing to remember, is , if you are not using the phone for data, turn the data OFF... for some reason, the sim I use, calculates usage, on time connected rather than data transferred... It must have been the way I set it up originally.... I forget now.... but it works fine

<soapbox>

If you look back to my 1st post than you can figured it out what i have suggested! 

In my eyes in 2013 no chance in hell for 3GS can be any good alternative to budgeted Android phones with, MediaTek quad core 1.2+ Ghz processor,  which comes with 4+ inch HD display, Android 4.1+ OS, 1+ GB RAM, Power VR SGX5 series GPU, 8+ & 2+ mega pixel of cameras and 2000+ mah battery at a price tag of 150-300 USD. 

Blah, blah blah, blah… Again, I'm here to answer the OP, not reinforce your need to have respect for a laundry list. Anyone who uses technology knows you can stick all kinds of things together, but it doesn't mean they're going to work well or offer a good experience. My position stands; you go have fun counting cycles. 

It doesn't matter in which form but Android existed before iOS!

Have you ever thought apple sued Samsung for copying just their Icon design but never dare to sue Google? Food for thought. 

You're likely going hungry. Did you think Apple pulled the iPhone out of it's ass in 2007? Or are you forgetting a little thing called Newton? Or the earlier Apple workpad concepts and information navigators from around the Apple II times? Or that Andy Rubin's Android was a blackberry killer and was bought for $50M by Google to do so, then turned on a dime once the iPhone came out and then they got their photocopiers out...what the hell, the patent system is broken, and it worked for Microsoft…

Of course according to you, Apple only invented the mouse - not so - Douglas Englebart did this at Parc, based on his early graphic toolbox work from the '60s, and how joined Apple in the 80s to help design the graphic framework of the Mac. Pretty much they've been coasting on advertising, right? 

You may say you're not a fanboi but you show all the unmistakable signs. True trolls only see history when it services their opinion…sigh...

I am - happily - an Apple fan but I also respect the fact that others came before and will follow. The experience I get is a result of years of testing and refinement, and it suits me fine…

</soapbox>

Again - this is my opinion on phones. OP should buy whatever he wants.  Just consider what you're getting for the price - the experience is the paramount issue, so spend some time playing with each device and choose for yourself. 

Bla Bla. Android or ios. Suckered to fight the fight in the first place.

Fact. You can get a brand new android phone for less then any ios phone.

Both have there strengths and weaknesses.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

The best way to win a fight is to walk away :-)

I am an Apple owner and i used Android before;
The biggest surprise for me when buying an Iphone was to see how many basic things were not included in it, but were on my first mobile phone more than ten year ago.

With all due respect; i can say both are ok.
A good 3GS refurb or second hand is not cheap here, maybe it is in USA.

Let the OP just buy the phone he fancies and let him have a good time with it in LOS.
No matter what he buys, it will do the job.

Let's not forget the poor boy is not coming to Patt to find out all about phone stuff. It is just a side-thing like choosing a toilet paper

that doesn't let your finger go through and up your but and is soft enough to not cause a rash.

A guy I knew in Patts by the way bought a fake S4 Samsung,   branded SAMSUNG and not other..

He seemed to be quite happy with it. He paid 6000 in Patt.
I didn't go through the specs but noticed it had a nice clear screen and reacted fast enough to commands

or slides - memory seemed to be quite sufficient.
Could be an idea too to have a local person show you the places where to get the fakes.

For this year, it pays itself back in one year :-)

Sometimes the worst decisions bring us to the best places

See my trip reports    First time out there  Second trip report   Third trip report 2016

Bla Bla. Android or ios. Suckered to fight the fight in the first place.

Fact. You can get a brand new android phone for less then any ios phone.

Both have there strengths and weaknesses.

Yep, suckered I was. I was an idiot for following through - I should know better. 

You ended the best way though - "both have strength and weaknesses" - the OP needs to discover what works best for him. 

<soapbox>

Blah, blah blah, blah… Again, I'm here to answer the OP, not reinforce your need to have respect for a laundry list. Anyone who uses technology knows you can stick all kinds of things together, but it doesn't mean they're going to work well or offer a good experience. My position stands; you go have fun counting cycles. 

You're likely going hungry. Did you think Apple pulled the iPhone out of it's ass in 2007? Or are you forgetting a little thing called Newton? Or the earlier Apple workpad concepts and information navigators from around the Apple II times? Or that Andy Rubin's Android was a blackberry killer and was bought for $50M by Google to do so, then turned on a dime once the iPhone came out and then they got their photocopiers out...what the hell, the patent system is broken, and it worked for Microsoft…

Of course according to you, Apple only invented the mouse - not so - Douglas Englebart did this at Parc, based on his early graphic toolbox work from the '60s, and how joined Apple in the 80s to help design the graphic framework of the Mac. Pretty much they've been coasting on advertising, right? 

You may say you're not a fanboi but you show all the unmistakable signs. True trolls only see history when it services their opinion…sigh...

I am - happily - an Apple fan but I also respect the fact that others came before and will follow. The experience I get is a result of years of testing and refinement, and it suits me fine…

</soapbox>

Again - this is my opinion on phones. OP should buy whatever he wants.  Just consider what you're getting for the price - the experience is the paramount issue, so spend some time playing with each device and choose for yourself. 

You are insane and has no knowledge what is happening in other part of world. Pure madness! 

iPhone Rocks if that makes you happy!

You are insane and has no knowledge what is happening in other part of world. Pure madness!

iPhone Rocks if that makes you happy!

**snort!**

Yes, of course. So right. I know nothing...

Archived