IGNORED

Windows XP- the future.

Billyboy294

Have someone in a western country with a discount buy your desired version of windows and send you the Key and the DVD checksum, download the DVD from piratebay, etc, and verify checksums.

I am not 100% on their policy of using a copy bought in western countries but some are geographically restricted. I have looked at buying copies in Australia and explained that it was for use in Thailand and I was told that it would not work. Perhaps they were being careful but it is something you would need to check. With the copies I have bought in Thailand you can not install Windows 7 on a computer in the west.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

I have a Netbook with Windows 7 and it is dead slow. I was thinking on trying XP copy (which i have on my desktop) but an expert  friend said if i it take to Europe (I was planning to give it to my daughter) Microsoft would know it was a copy and block it.

Sex without love is an empty experience;

But as empty experiences go, it is one of the best.

I have a Netbook with Windows 7 and it is dead slow. I was thinking on trying XP copy (which i have on my desktop) but an expert  friend said if i it take to Europe (I was planning to give it to my daughter) Microsoft would know it was a copy and block it.

Hate to break it to you, but XP isn't going to make a difference. All netbooks are slow. They were all underpowered. Most next books with Win 7 had Win 7 basic, which was developed with netbooks in mind. It is as bare bones as you can get on the Windows platform. Only speed improvements you can do are maxing out ram (2 gig for most) and swapping out the turtle slow platter drive for an SSD. Some netbooks can handle Chromium ports, which I heard can help, but it takes some finesse to get it to work. I installed a graphics excellerator with my Acer netbook, which still can't handle HD video. How pathetic is that? My phone is many times faster.

Bottom line is that Win 7 basic is the lightest weight windows platform OS for netbooks. Maybe look into a Linux distribution if you want to keep the netbook.

How much RAM (memory) does it have? Installing more can give a large increase in performance. As indicated earlier in this thread installing XP at this stage is not clever as it will soon be at the ravages of hackers.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

Thanks for replies.

It is an Acer Aspire One -722. I doubled the memory from 2 to 4 and even replaced the "sluggish" C-50 processor with the E-350  but this did not seem to make much difference..

Actuallly my daughter only needs it for when she goes on holiday to places like Mauritius to check email and make Skype phone-calls and it is fine for that. It has English only keyboard.

I messed up, meant "Windows 7 Starter" not "Basic". Also should mention that Starter can only address 2 gigs of ram.

....I have looked at buying copies in Australia and explained that it was for use in Thailand and I was told that it would not work. Perhaps they were being careful but it is something you would need to check. With the copies I have bought in Thailand you can not install Windows 7 on a computer in the west.

This is down to the emerging market discount, MS puts some geographic restrictions on product activation if purchased in a emerging market. I'm highly dubious a Australian version would count as a emerging market.

A fully legal copy of Windows bought in Thailand with a geographic description restriction will have a warning about the restriction on the box.

However, you can always circumvent these restrictions: use a VPN when activating to change your region from reverse geo-ip lookups, use a foreign sim card if doing phone activation.

Evil: My Aspire has Windows 7 Home Premium. I even got a friend to format the HD and reinstall 7 using the serial number.

I bought it from an Amercan who was going home for 5000 Baht .

did your expert friend not tell you there are several" little nasty programs" who neutralize those interceptions from windows ....? But never put your updates on automatiq , only allow them to remind you ....and select wich ones yes , never  allow update for "defender " an the other who looks for "maliscious software " , those cripple your win 7 ,Windows do no block ,you still  can use but with interruptions , just to trouble you ...

Using Win 7 ultimate with only 2 gb on a MSI WIND netbook and fast working , double partition , both Win 7

Non native English writing poster, not using a spell checker !! 

• 2 weeks later...

All netbooks are slow. They were all underpowered. Most next books with Win 7 had Win 7 basic, which was developed with netbooks in mind. It is as bare bones as you can get on the Windows platform. 

Bottom line is that Win 7 basic is the lightest weight windows platform OS for netbooks. Maybe look into a Linux distribution if you want to keep the netbook.

It is expensive to buy genuine Windows. And you need to check that your computer is powerful enough to run it and that it has enough room on the HD.

Google offer a free Linux download. Friend of mine has Linux and says it is very stable.

Google package includes word processing, spreadsheet etc. Compatible with MS Office. All no cost. 

It is expensive to buy genuine Windows. And you need to check that your computer is powerful enough to run it and that it has enough room on the HD.

Google offer a free Linux download. Friend of mine has Linux and says it is very stable.

Google package includes word processing, spreadsheet etc. Compatible with MS Office. All no cost. 

Windows is not cheap, but if you're going to use it on a daily basis, it is well worth the price. Most versions are cheaper than a cup of coffee a day.  

Win 7 installations are 8gigs, but one should allow larger partition sizes for updates.  Win 7 Starter for netbooks only runs 32 bit, so keep that in mind for your partition. You won't need 64bit space.  

Google has Chrome OS and Goobuntu.  The latter is just a version of Ubuntu, which is free anyway. Linux based OS's are quite stable, if using a stable build, and take up very little space. The only issue is having to resort to WINE to use X86 software. 

Archived