IGNORED

Windows XP- the future.

Billyboy294

From a CNet  Newsletter.

"As you probably already know, Windows XP users are abundant. But soon enough Microsoft will be discontinuing its support of it. With this in mind, member John wants to know how feasible is for him to continue using XP without Windows updates? Will it be safe to use without them granted that he will have third-party firewalls, antivirus software, antispyware, etc.?

John, the good news is that you will still be able to use Windows XP even after support has ended. And you can probably use it for quite a number of years thereafter. As members pointed out, as long as you have a healthy system and a good set of security and updated apps it should function just fine. However, there are other things to consider.

As time goes on, without Microsoft support, you can bet that software, hardware, and peripherals companies will gradually cease to support XP, too -- which means that things like your security apps will stop getting updates, newer software on the market won't run on that OS, and if you need a new printer or other peripheral, there's a good chance that it may not work.
"

I tried Windows 7 and did not like it and went back to XP. so will continue to use for as long as practical. After I updated my desktop (new motherboard etc) the shop in Tukcom but back XP for 300 Baht but told me not to update and i have not done so for nearly a year with no problems.

They mention software not working. One of my  problems was the 6 software programs I use mainly for photos work fine with XP but did not work with Windows 7.

Sex without love is an empty experience;

But as empty experiences go, it is one of the best.

if it aint broken dont fix it. i use xp on my desktop xp.on my laptop and have xp on my net book that i never use

any holes a goal

• 4 weeks later...

Windows xp feature, helps to address the "DLL hell" problem by allowing an application written and tested with

one version of a system component to continue to use that version even if an application that uses a new version

of the same component is installed.So latest windows service pack 3 is also beneficial to all users.

From a CNet  Newsletter.

They mention software not working. One of my  problems was the 6 software programs I use mainly for photos work fine with XP but did not work with Windows 7.

did you try running the software using xp compatibility mode feature from windows 7?

There will be minor niggles that will accumulate over time. It won't self destruct the day the support runs out. However you will get increasing numbers of glitches with new software and peripherals. Eventually this will probably drive you to buy a new computer. Use it for as long as you can put up with these glitches.

Trip Reports:

"Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company."

Mark Twain

XP will only die when software stops working on it.... when you buy a new camera and it will only download to win8 or you go on a website and get a "browser not supported" message etc etc. This will happen eventually but I think theres a few years life in the old dog yet.....

Next trip Aug 31-Sep13, theme: try more freelancers, get dirty! Note to self: TAKE MORE PHOTOS!!!

I work in IT, and getting used to new things I know is hard.  Stay one level back.  Windows 8 has been out and sucks.  Windows 7 is great.  Windows 8.1 will be better when it comes out soon.  The start button will be back.  XP is dead.  You need to deal with change.  Once you get used to it, it is better.

~Snappy

I work in IT, and getting used to new things I know is hard.  Stay one level back.  Windows 8 has been out and sucks.  Windows 7 is great.  Windows 8.1 will be better when it comes out soon.  The start button will be back.  XP is dead.  You need to deal with change.  Once you get used to it, it is better.

~Snappy

i concur. couldnt have said it any better myself

• 2 weeks later...

I also work in IT, i did not like windows 8 either till i forced myself to use it everyday , It isn't really that bad. I love to make other people use for two reasons , first being they will be confused and hate it allowing the ass hole in me to enjoy , second the refresh feature allows me to recover systems they destroy pretty quickly . Windows 8 isn't as amazing as 7 was when it came out but that's also because of the nightmare that windows vista caused with some hardware and drivers .

I tried Windows 7 and did not like it and went back to XP....

I think you should give Windows 7 another try as it is a vast improvement on XP. It sounds like you need to update the other software that you use or run it in XP compatibility mode.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

They have been trying to kill XP for years, but for many it is Windows. My guess it is likely to remain so for a while yet.

Most of the computers where I work are still using XP. They got a new one a few months back, and that has Windows 7 installed. 

At home, where i do most of my work I have a four year-old Mac, now with a bit more RAM and running the latest OSX, Mountain Lion. It will probably be good for Mavericks when it comes out, if I decide to install it.

I also work in IT, i did not like windows 8 either till i forced myself to use it everyday , It isn't really that bad. I love to make other people use for two reasons , first being they will be confused and hate it allowing the ass hole in me to enjoy , second the refresh feature allows me to recover systems they destroy pretty quickly . Windows 8 isn't as amazing as 7 was when it came out but that's also because of the nightmare that windows vista caused with some hardware and drivers .

I bought an Asus laptop with touchscreen and windows 8, takes a little getting used to, why the fuck did they hide the start button, what is that all about anyway?

My son got on it over the last week, and at first hated it, but now loves it.

I am slowly learning to adapt, but don't know why they have to hide things from me like the control panel, for crying out loud...

Love having the touchscreen on my laptop, but find myself reaching up to touch my pc monitor now, which doesn't do anything!

haha.

Linux is a free operating system, which is continually updated. It is straightforward.

You can read about it on internet.

I think you should give Windows 7 another try as it is a vast improvement on XP. It sounds like you need to update the other software that you use or run it in XP compatibility mode.

I gave it a try and this what i said at the time

Brilliant people at Microsoft; they bring out a new system Windows 7 to replace XP.

However your printer and scanner drivers won’t work and you will need to download new ones which wont work so well. My HP printer would not switch off and I had to pull out the plug at the mains each time. Someone said his Scanner would now not work.

Downloading photos from your camera was not so good and it would not download photos you had downloaded before, only ‘new’ photos. They should not restrict my choice of photos I want to download perhaps some have been deleted from PC..

Also your old graphic software (Adobe Photoshop Elements 3, ACDSee, ULead Photo Impact 7 Photo Canvas) which worked perfectly with XP , will not work and you will have to buy new software and while I have some newer versions of graphic software, I find my older versions work better..

I had a list of 14 items which I could do with XP but had problems with Windows 7.

It did not even have a ‘Copy/Move this File.to’ I had to add a tweek. It was not only me that had this problem; see below.

On Windows when I went to ‘Print this Picture’, on XP, I had the option of 1, 2, 4 or 9 photos on 1 paper. On 7 these options did not work.

I cannot remember in the 5 weeks I used Windows 7 one thing which seemed better than XP.

I could not wait to reinstall XP.

Geek.jpg

Someone commented that Microsoft forgot to put it in. I believe later versions had it.

I bought an Asus laptop with touchscreen and windows 8, takes a little getting used to, why the fuck did they hide the start button, what is that all about anyway?

My son got on it over the last week, and at first hated it, but now loves it.

I am slowly learning to adapt, but don't know why they have to hide things from me like the control panel, for crying out loud...

Love having the touchscreen on my laptop, but find myself reaching up to touch my pc monitor now, which doesn't do anything!

haha.

The idea behind windows is a simple user interface that anyone can use , if you can use one you can also use different windows  versions. Well now that we are well in to the two thousands windows powers more than pc's . The removal of the start button was done to unify the pc, smart phone , and tablet into one common interface . The start menu is still there is just a bit different, it gives you the ability to put shortcuts to all your favorite apps anywhere in the front of the menu or you can just type in what you wan't using the keyboard , on the right it has three categories to pick from apps,settings,and files .After you pick the category your app or file is right there much like the old windows 7 start menu except faster in some cases. I use dual monitors and it allows me to pin some things to one monitors taskbar and some to the other, i find i use those way more than the start button anyway.

The idea behind windows is a simple user interface that anyone can use , if you can use one you can also use different windows  versions. Well now that we are well in to the two thousands windows powers more than pc's . The removal of the start button was done to unify the pc, smart phone , and tablet into one common interface . The start menu is still there is just a bit different, it gives you the ability to put shortcuts to all your favorite apps anywhere in the front of the menu or you can just type in what you wan't using the keyboard , on the right it has three categories to pick from apps,settings,and files .After you pick the category your app or file is right there much like the old windows 7 start menu except faster in some cases. I use dual monitors and it allows me to pin some things to one monitors taskbar and some to the other, i find i use those way more than the start button anyway.

yes, thanks for that great description... I am still running 7 on my pc, and am switching from apple to samsung phone this friday...   just adjusting to the missing start button, took me a bit but I have buttons on my start page as you describe...

I went to school with mr gates and allen...  wish I had hung out with them and tagged along with their little startup, I know quite a few guys who did....

dammitall anyway, haha!

• 2 weeks later...

What will finally kill windows XP for most people is when they need to replace something like a printer and then find that the new printer doesn't have drivers that will work in XP anymore, or will work unreliably.

Until Microsoft breaks their recent pattern, I'll concur with the other posters that recommend alternating OSes. 

You can go on using XP for a couple of years past their end of support cycle. I'm still using it in an older laptop I have that won't run Windows 7 (which IMHO is far better than XP). Eventually software rot will take in and you'll get to buy a new computer, which will come with a new OS bundled. 

Don't worry too much about the updates, as there's not much (security wise) left to be fixed in XP. Plenty of software developers will continue to support XP, so you'll always be with an antivirus/antispyware and your old software will continue to work like it did. For most computer users there is no actual need to upgrade, that's why companies have to resort to scare tactics. 

I know it's pretty baby, but I didn't take it out for air.

It's not about can you run windows xp for whatever amount of time it's about is it safe or otherwise smart to do so . You don't have to buy the latest greatest version of windows because everyone else has it but it's smart to use at minimum a version that will be safe and give you few headaches . I personally have not used the Microsoft updates for anything other that virus and spyware updates since the great endless loop blue screen error of windows xp. When the geforce ti series came out in the early days of windows xp there was a internet update that caused an infinite boot ,blue screen ,and  reboot loop in certain combo's of hardware  . It took Microsoft around 60 days to fix this , i have yet to trust their  auto updates with my pc's safety since . I only install full service packs as they tend to be safer then constant updates . Having said that i have yet to get a virus or anything other than a minuscule amount spyware due to basic computer safety like using firefox or chrome followed with an antivirus ,common sense about installing apps , and plugins . The point is new patches don't matter as much when the ship is already full of holes, you have to get off at some point before you sink with the ship. A lot of people say they have issues running windows vista or windows 7 and it turns out it's mainly a compatibility issue with a video card or not enough ram, if it's the video card an xp driver and disabling the aero feature works most of the time . If none of that works Holly shit man you are a fucking pussy monger you can afford a laptop off craigslist or at least Walmart they are under $300 for a basic model .

While i have an Acer Aspire Netbook, I use a Desktop with a 22 Inch Monitor (with XP of course). Never have problems. Well once when A Pole hacked my friends computer and sent a virus to all his contacts via an email. Malwarebytes quickly removed it.

XP was great but its over 10 years old coming out of support on April 2014, so not long.

Go for Windows 7 rather than Windows 8 but you need to get yourself off of XP. The hackers are going to be going after XP in a big way post April 2014.

• 4 months later...

I have some concerns about updating a computer in Thailand.  I have heard that many if not most updates to Windows 7 and others in Thailand are pirated copies and will cause problems when updates are released. 

How do you get an original copy of an OS in Thailand for a reasonable price?

I have some concerns about updating a computer in Thailand.  I have heard that many if not most updates to Windows 7 and others in Thailand are pirated copies and will cause problems when updates are released. 

How do you get an original copy of an OS in Thailand for a reasonable price?

You shouldn't be too concerned. Go to Tucom and ask for an original and you will get one. Just make sure that it looks OK and you will be OK. They will sell you OEM versions that will be a bit cheaper if that is what you want. With OEM versions you can not transfer the license to a new computer.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

Fuckn-A. Vista was an absolute nightmare. Networking was a lesson in futility. At one point, I got so fed up I snapped a HP laptop over my knee. It made a gratifying crunch like a kettle potato chip when it cracked at the hinge and screen. I immediately jumped on Win 7 when it came out and thought it was the best thing ever invented.

Still using Win 7 Ultimate 64. I was a diehard XP fan, but now when I go back to use XP, I clearly see all the disadvantages to Win 7. Even super basic things like all the Window button shortcuts make a huge difference, productivity-wise. Only thing I miss from XP was being able to set up vertical tool bars where I'd put all my program icons on the left border of the screen. Also, PDF performance (preview, opening, creating) took a step back too.

You shouldn't be too concerned. Go to Tucom and ask for an original and you will get one. Just make sure that it looks OK and you will be OK. They will sell you OEM versions that will be a bit cheaper if that is what you want. With OEM versions you can not transfer the license to a new computer.

Have someone in a western country with a discount buy your desired version of windows and send you the Key and the DVD checksum, download the DVD from piratebay, etc, and verify checksums.

IE. Someone with a MS employee discount can buy Win 7 Ultimate for $10 dollars.. This applies to MS alumni as well! All you really need is the serial number.

Even without a discount this method works reasonably well, there are MSDN iso's floating around the torrent sites and while its a pain in the ass to verify checksums, it is possible.

Archived