IGNORED

Thats not Terrorism, this is terrorism.

andyaus

I don’t suggest that the death of a British soldier is not tragic but to put it into some perspective, yesterday 5 Thai Rangers were killed in Pattini by a roadside bomb.

attack_copy1.jpg

http://www.asianewsnet.net/Attack-mars-Thai-Buddhist-holiday--47157.html

I am surprised that at a time when one British soldiers death can instigate a 7 page thread and 167 posts , there is no mention of an incident like this where 5 soldiers died.

Are we that self centered that we simply switch off to the happenings that don’t touch our own races.

How many people actually know where Pattani is?

300px-Souththailandmap.gif

Would it surprise you he know that in the past 10 years

500 plus Soldiers and Policemen have been killed

270 Defense volunteers have been killed

5,469 Civillians have been killed

9, 653 have been wounded.

The terrorists have not had their own way

250 Dead

35 Injured

5306 arrested

21 executed

21 serving life in prison. 

The death toll is more than twice that of the US 9/11 attacks.

The IRA has only killed 644 civilians.

The biggest surprise to me is that the terrorism has been mainly confined to the south. I wonder when they will realise that an attack on a target with large numbers of foreign  visitors might actually get some media attention. Perhaps we should feel safer walking the streets of Woowich than Pattaya.

There are some that only employ words for the purpose of disguising their thoughts.

Voltaire

Pattini was mentioned quite a bit during when the red shirts and yellow shirts where clashing in 2010.

Soldier hacked to death on our streets (our obviously referring to British people) is gonna attract a lot of attention. I'm a supporter of help the heroes and tbh it could well have been me hacked to death as there was no indication the victim was a soldier. That is why it is a popular thread due to yhe amount of British/western users.

carbomb attack is what it is but when its reported in the media it depends on national interest. British/US soldiers killed in Afghanistan or Iraq is gonna be reported, Thai soldiers in a car bomb won't make national news.

Maybe because we all love visiting Thailand and some of us actually love more than the sex tourism aspect, youve felt the need to post this but terrorism happens everywhere. Genocide happening in parts of the African continent and terrorism in parts of south America, people are even

kidnapped never to be seen again in Colombia. You mention the IRA only killing 644 people, you do realisebthey are still activevand can kill again and it'll be more newsworthy because its in hhe national interest.

It's good you brought this to our attention but for the reasons Ibstated above, it won't get as much attention.

How many people actually know where Pattani is?

The biggest surprise to me is that the terrorism has been mainly confined to the south. I wonder when they will realise that an attack on a target with large numbers of foreign  visitors might actually get some media attention. Perhaps we should feel safer walking the streets of Woowich than Pattaya.

Fair points. 

I've spent work-time in Yala, Narathiwat and Pattani; never seen another falang there. 

Think Bali bombing in 2002 and Hambali's intentions prior to his detention in 2003: well advanced in planning attacks on falang-dense targets in Phuket and Bangkok.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riduan_Isamuddin.   Media attention + over-reaction from government -> foreign funding/sympathy: Insurgency 101.

Not 'if' but 'when'.

This trouble in Southern Thailand is not new. It is an ongoing conflict. Someone posted some quite gruesome images of innocent people beheaded etc. News is always local wherever you are in the world and News of an horrific act in our own country or one that we have long associations with will garner more publicity than those in other countries.

I am sure there are far worse things that happen in Africa all the time that we hardly ever hear of. Interestingly the root of the trouble seems to have a religious flavour to it.  Although there are those in Southern Thailand that would prefer to be associated with Malaysia more than Thailand. So it it would seem it is a religious/political mix.

Pretty dangerous really. 

Fair points too. Simply think about how much media coverage  and overall attention the recent bombing in Boston generated.... vastly out of proportion compared to other similar horific events happenning every day all around the world.

The difference is the troubles in the south are well documented and a simmering problem.  Having a soldier hacked to death on a London street in broad daylight is "outside the norm" and gets more attention.

I don't think any intelligent people downplay or are unaware of what is happening in Thailand.

The two are not really comparable.  The problems in the South of Thailand are longstanding and there have been atrocities on both sides.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tak_Bai_incident

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Thailand_insurgency

I do agree though, that it's a forgotten war and will probably remain so until the violence spreads to Bangkok or the Thai tourist resorts.

Always happens like that, media sensationalizes a story, or an outraged public react strongly, figures and death tolls don't always come into it.

I remember in Australia when an Indian student was killed on the street. Enormous hullaballoo over that. Yet a couple days later I read in the newspaper there was a stampede exiting a Hindu temple somewhere in India and from memory 87 people were killed. Some white Aussie louts kill 1 Indian and it's an international disgrace. Indians kill 87 of their own and nobody bats an eyelid.

Women are made to be loved, not understood.

I don't think anyone is discounting things like this in the face of what happened in the uk the other day. But then again that did happen on British soil so you can imagine why it's caused a fuss here. Also not trying to take anything away from this but that's the first type if attack of ta kind. A bit different from 7/7 ect. Where as in the south there have been beheadings for some time now.

I'm sure the Thais were not too shocked to read what happened in London the other day. That's if they even do know. I'll bet most don't.

Always happens like that, media sensationalizes a story, or an outraged public react strongly, figures and death tolls don't always come into it.

I remember in Australia when an Indian student was killed on the street. Enormous hullaballoo over that. Yet a couple days later I read in the newspaper there was a stampede exiting a Hindu temple somewhere in India and from memory 87 people were killed. Some white Aussie louts kill 1 Indian and it's an international disgrace. Indians kill 87 of their own and nobody bats an eyelid.

Ok the stampede was bad... But if your telling me you can't see the difference between the 2 then i think alarm bells should be ringing

In your head.

I have no idea how much British news is reported in the world press (not much if my occasional foray into CNN is anything to go by)

Without checking, I would guess most of the replies and comments on the barbaric death of Lee Rigby(r.i.p) in Woolwich were from Brits. If it happened in Perth or Sydney, I doubt I would make a post, but that wouldn't stop me being sad at the events, as I am saddened at the events in Southern Thailand.

The point is, the incident in Woolwich is close to home and therefore it affects us personally where as something that happens on the other side of the world(albeit in a country and to a people we have a fondness for) doesn't.

Side note:  I think your statement that "the IRA only killed 644 civilians" could have been worded differently!

Ok the stampede was bad... But if your telling me you can't see the difference between the 2 then i think alarm bells should be ringing

In your head.

I tell you what does set off alarm bells in my head. One Indian gets murdered by Aussies and there's an enormous hullaballoo and the deputy PM makes a fast trip to New Delhi to smooth it all down. However, a site I looked at the other day gives estimates of 200 Australians have been murdered in India since 1999. Can't recall hearing any hullaballoos about that. Didn't see the Indian deputy PM flying to Canberra to grovel on his knees and beg forgiveness.

I tell you what does set off alarm bells in my head. One Indian gets murdered by Aussies and there's an enormous hullaballoo and the deputy PM makes a fast trip to New Delhi to smooth it all down. However, a site I looked at the other day gives estimates of 200 Australians have been murdered in India since 1999. Can't recall hearing any hullaballoos about that. Didn't see the Indian deputy PM flying to Canberra to grovel on his knees and beg forgiveness.

Some Indians have a big post-colonial chip on the shoulder and demand respect for their new found semi-super power position in the world. There like a twelve year old with an abusive dad and a body like Sharky.

The Australian Government reaction was all about preserving the fees paid by Indian students (which subsidises what Australian students are charged) at tertiary institutions.

It was particularly sensitive because the events occurred just after a crackdown on bogus schools processing immigrants as students.

It worked like this: you go to an agent in India who has a list of the professions that qualify for a skilled migration visa; you pick one; they enrol you in a school in Australia that offers a course for the skill you've selected; you pay, come to Australia, don't attend college, drive a taxi or work at Burger King or whatever; then you graduate; apply for permanent residency/citizenship).

Incidentally, of the two Indian students murdered only one (Nitin Garg) was killed by what could be called a racially motivated attack. The other one - I think he was fruitpicking - was killed by other Indian resident in a personal dispute.

I have no idea how much British news is reported in the world press (not much if my occasional foray into CN N is anything to go by)

Without checking, I would guess most of the replies and comments on the barbaric death of Lee Rigby(r.i.p) in Woolwich were from Brits. If it happened in Perth or Sydney, I doubt I would make a post, but that wouldn't stop me being sad at the events, as I am saddened at the events in Southern Thailand.

The point is, the incident in Woolwich is close to home and therefore it affects us personally where as something that happens on the other side of the world(albeit in a country and to a people we have a fondness

Side note:  I think your statement that "the IRA only killed 644 civilians" could have been worded differently!

Obviously I was using the example of the IRA as a comparrison. We have had many years of media coverage over the IRA and very little about the events in southern Thailand. I am not making a comment about the IRA but about the media coverage. It is out of proportion. If you are concerned about the way Imade the comment please tell me how you think I should have phrased it.

There are some that only employ words for the purpose of disguising their thoughts.

Voltaire

Obviously I was using the example of the IRA as a comparrison. We have had many years of media coverage over the IRA and very little about the events in southern Thailand. I am not making a comment about the IRA but about the media coverage. It is out of proportion. If you are concerned about the way Imade the comment please tell me how you think I should have phrased it.

Possibly the "only" part

I don't know what the circumstances were surrounding the deaths of the Australians in India and if they were racially motivated then it's not right no one has picked up on that. 

The point is you seemed to be considering people dying in a stampede on par with someone being killed in a racially motivated attack. Apple and oranges.

drug wars in mexico is much the same..

gangwarfare, beheadings etc....very little in the news about it

55,000 lives in 7 years

http://www.businessinsider.com/mexican-drug-war-statistics-2012-6

I have a Problem..... I just can't decide if its a good problem or a bad problem...

I don't know what the circumstances were surrounding the deaths of the Australians in India and if they were racially motivated then it's not right no one has picked up on that. 

The point is you seemed to be considering people dying in a stampede on par with someone being killed in a racially motivated attack. Apple and oranges.

True. I guess it's preferable to have 87 Indians stomped to death by other Indians than to have 1 Indian stomped to death by white men.

True. I guess it's preferable to have 87 Indians stomped to death by other Indians than to have 1 Indian stomped to death by white men.

Why would either be preferable? Perhaps to you, but you've already shown yourself up to be a bit of a racist so no need to rubber stamp it.

After reading many of your posts anti American anti british anti anything that is not Australian, the best thing way you could phrase anything, would be be to keep your mouth shut.

Although it may have been evident that your statement was to make a comparison, it was somewhat isolated and looked a statement of fact, perhaps the word flippant could also be used?

After reading many of your posts anti American anti british anti anything that is not Australian, the best thing way you could phrase anything, would be be to keep your mouth shut.

5555555555!

he does come off rather irritating, doesn't he?

andy, your're a screaming bleeding leftist liberal, and (IMO) determined to be right about your opinion on everything...  god bless you, would love to buy you a drink when we are both there sometime, and NOT talk politics, ok?

hope you're having a ball, I believe you are in Patts now, eh?

lucky bugger...

Why would either be preferable? Perhaps to you, but you've already shown yourself up to be a bit of a racist so no need to rubber stamp it.

Clearly it's preferable to India as they made a huge hullabaloo about one and not a peep about the other. Those are the facts and they are undisputed.

Racist? Yeah...so were Noddy & Big Ears, they wouldn't play with the golliwogs.

Andy in shock discovery! The mass media concentrates on stories most relevant or interesting to their viewers and readers!

Next week: beer makes you silly!

Way to go Tony...what a stella contribution to the thread. I will be honest and tell you that I just can’t recall reading any of your posts. I did check and found the reason. You have never posted anything worth reading. Apart from calling several posters “trolls” and suggesting several others were less than truthful you have made no contributions at all to the forum since you have been on. A pity really because as a chef you might have added an interesting perspective but  you don’t seem to be able to put more than 10 words together so I understand your reluctance to put anything out there.

Unfortunately,  the forum has "a nice to be nice" edict so I am restrained in commenting further on your “witty” comments other than to say that I am hardly likely to keep my mouth shut. If you want to chat then look me up when you visit pattaya in a few weeks. 

Voltaire

Archived