Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Long Haul Business Class for under $2K (Long Post)

Little Evil

footy, this is the first time in years I have seen a 100k points public offer after only 3k minimum spend....

I have just been approved... 100k points is ALMOST a RT SG biz flight from SFO-HKG ( 27500 points shy of RT award). Im fortunate enough to have 30K Citi points which I can also transfer to SG Kris Flyer program...

What an offer! 

I have the Amex platinum delta cobrand card. Does anyone happen to know if I'm eligible for this bonus? Suppose I can call Amex to ask but thought I'd ask as well. Thx

Not sure, bouncrwithme, but Amex is trying to get me to sign up for a business plat, even though I have a personal plat, so maybe it is on the table. Doesn't hurt to ask ;)

Strange thing though...the business plat is only a 50k offer. They also offered me a business gold for 75k. Doesn't make sense.

footy, this is the first time in years I have seen a 100k points public offer after only 3k minimum spend....

I have just been approved... 100k points is ALMOST a RT SG biz flight from SFO-HKG ( 27500 points shy of RT award). Im fortunate enough to have 30K Citi points which I can also transfer to SG Kris Flyer program...

What an offer! 

I think you just sold me on it!

THAT was quick - approved and card on its way....

$450 annual fee is small price to pay for 100,000 Singapore or Asia Miles miles, especially since I got almost 60,000 sitting in my Citi Prestige account!

What an offer! 

Just reviewing flight schedule on Singapore - their schedule is a lot more palatable out of SFO than LAX.  Looking at 30+ hours on the return leg due to long layovers in either Singapore or Narita....ouch!

Singapore's sweet spot is LAX or SFO to HKG....

the rest of SE Asia, other than HKG, are increased award prices....

HKG is cheapest, and so damn easy and cheap to get anywhere else in SE Asia, particularly the Big Mango :)

Singapore's sweet spot is LAX or SFO to HKG....

the rest of SE Asia, other than HKG, are increased award prices....

HKG is cheapest, and so damn easy and cheap to get anywhere else in SE Asia, particularly the Big Mango :)

I'll need to try my search on Singapore's website, but the only flights I find on Kayak from LAX-HKG on Singapore have 2 stops.

Maybe the trick is to catch a cheap SW flight to SFO and go non-stop from there?

yes, SFO and HKG have non stop service, unfortunately that is the only sequence non stop. all of the other routings involve a stop over in Narita, or Singapore or Incheon....which increase the award price... 

Singapore's waitlist system is very efficient too, every flight I have waitlisted ( about 10)  I have received an email 24-72 hours before departure telling me my seat has opened up.... some of them I simply ignore... I just seeing if wait list actually opens up.... and IME it does

I just remembered something....it could very well be feasible to roll referral bonuses into our collective credit card sign ups. Maybe not for targeted bonuses, but I don't see why this wouldn't work for public bonus offers.  7.5k for Amex, if I'm not mistaken. 10k for Chase Sapphire.  I would have gladly given that Chase one away had I remembered earlier this year.  Food for thought.  It will be a while before I personally sign up for a new card given my current roster.  I'll circle back with you guys in about 6-8 months to see if I can offer up a freebie for whatever card I'm trying to get at that point.  

offer dead, very short lived... glad I applied :)

Wow, glad I got on it this morning too. I called Amex and they said I would be eligible so I pulled the trigger even after having just got the citi prestige card last week. 100k bonus points is too sweet to pass up. Thanks for sharing it!!

offer dead, very short lived... glad I applied :)

Thanks for posting this -- like bouncewithme, I was able to get it before it died!

I owe you a beer!

I think you just sold me on it!

THAT was quick - approved and card on its way....

$450 annual fee is small price to pay for 100,000 Singapore or Asia Miles miles, especially since I got almost 60,000 sitting in my Citi Prestige account!

WOW....AMEX does NOT f*ck around!  I got approved late Monday night; card arrived Wednesday morning.

Time to start chasing that minimum spend!

WOW....AMEX does NOT f*ck around!  I got approved late Monday night; card arrived Wednesday morning.

lol. They do have an extremely fast turn around on pressing cards.  Most other companies--I'd factor in a day just to physically fabricate the card, then shipping time.  I've ordered several dozen employee cards over the years and it almost always shows up overnight if I place the order in the AM.  If you had placed that application Monday morning, you probably would have received it Tuesday.  Long gone are the full Platinum Box deliveries though. I received a thick envelope with a hard cover book. Nice, but not the over-the-top box experience. 

Navidnavid I owe you beer as well. I will be in Patts end of month - 6/10 if you're around.

yea, about that... I do not need anything so I'm going to need some ways to manufacture spend to meet the minmum. 

I used to do the Amazon transfers but they stopped...

IS there still anything around where you can do thousand dollars a month transfers? Ide even be willing to pay a small fee if needed be...

Glad you guys cashed in on time with this 100k point offer,  I'm surprised it died so fast... 

I have a shitload of gift cards gathering dust (literally have a couple of grand worth of them), so I didn't want to go that route.

I am using "RadPad" to pay my June rent with this new AMEX -- it's a NASTY transaction fee, but I knock out almost $2,175 of the minimum spend right away.

I have some other expenses coming up this month that I can use the AMEX on, so I hope to hit my $3,000 quickly....and then move on to spending some of those damn gift cards! 555

• Like 2

I have a shitload of gift cards gathering dust (literally have a couple of grand worth of them), so I didn't want to go that route.

I am using "RadPad" to pay my June rent with this new AMEX -- it's a NASTY transaction fee, but I knock out almost $2,175 of the minimum spend right away.

I have some other expenses coming up this month that I can use the AMEX on, so I hope to hit my $3,000 quickly....and then move on to spending some of those damn gift cards! 555

Never heard of that "RadPad" before.  Looks very interesting.  At 3.49% fee on credit cards, it isn't the most compelling credit card to check option, but 100% debit card had me thinking.  Sun Trust had an interesting Delta Debit card co-brand.  This is debit, not credit.  That would mean 100% free transaction at RadPad and miles from Delta.  Would require opening a new account for me, but free miles....

Otherwise, $35 on $1000 is rough.  One could buy 1,750 AA miles for that fee during their 2 cent promotions and mail a check, but if you're hitting an Amex spend, then it is worth biting the bullet once or twice.  

Otherwise, $35 on $1000 is rough.  One could buy 1,750 AA miles for that fee during their 2 cent promotions and mail a check, but if you're hitting an Amex spend, then it is worth biting the bullet once or twice.  

That's my plan - a one-time shot.  I should be able to hit it without doing RadPad, but I like to knock out minimum spend asap, and the 100k bonus is worth $70+.

Not as easy as I had hoped - they want a copy of my CA DL and lease.  My lease is 10 years old, has the wrong rental rate AND the wrong landlord on it! 555

If there are any Canadians are interested in getting a Platinum Amex with 75,000 points via referral, please let me know.

$699 fee, but you get a $200 travel credit each calendar year. Effectively making it $299 for 75,000 points after 1k spend in 3 months. Transfer to Aeroplan is instantaneous and 77,500 miles will get you a one way in business class from Canada to Bangkok.  

If you are interested in 25,000 points, you can also choose a Gold Amex.  First year free and 25k in points after only $500 spend.  

Pm me if you would like any details. 

Found this discussion of first class vs business class informative (and I agreed with almost all of his points):

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2016/05/23/first-class-business-class-differences/

Gotta agree that business class is the sweet spot now unless you have more miles than you know what to do with.

I was recently thinking about my upcoming trip. I leave in six weeks. Flying over KAL J. Heck, I don't even have direct aisle access. Funny, how one can feel a little jaded after some first class or better business class experiences. Still, when looking at it objectively, I've got a practically free ticket, a flat bed to sleep in and since it's not CX J, slippers :) A lounge to relax and freshen up in between flights, flight attendants easy on the eyes.  Honestly, I shouldn't be complaining.

• Like 3

Gotta agree that business class is the sweet spot now unless you have more miles than you know what to do with.

I was recently thinking about my upcoming trip. I leave in six weeks. Flying over KAL J. Heck, I don't even have direct aisle access. Funny, how one can feel a little jaded after some first class or better business class experiences. Still, when looking at it objectively, I've got a practically free ticket, a flat bed to sleep in and since it's not CX J, slippers :) A lounge to relax and freshen up in between flights, flight attendants easy on the eyes.  Honestly, I shouldn't be complaining.

I agree.  Direct isle is awesome, but if I had to give up something, it would easily be that over giving up lie-flat seats. Last flight I took with shared isle access was a United flight to ICN in business first. Considering I managed to only get up once the entire flight for the awkward step-over, it wasn't all that bad. Sure, I had to deal with surly flight attendants who consider the attendant button a life or death emergency beacon only, but that's to be expected on a US carrier. 

Lounge access is a huge bonus in my opinion. Good lounges like CX Wing in HKG turn the trip from a grueling chore to something to even look forward to. Nice shower cabana, noodle bar, and then the Robin Leach experience at the champagne & caviar bar. If they offered a cigar room and a short time room, I'd probably never leave the airport. 

• Like 2

Direct aisle access is HUGE to me, but, given the I have trouble sleeping, it probably wouldn't be THAT bad to have someone in a window seat next to me.

Lie flat biz class seats -- which are just about standard on Asian carriers for long haul -- have changed the game and spoiled me forever.  

BTW, United is having a mileage sale (although I think it ends in a few hours).  If you buy 40,000 miles or more, the bonus takes it down to .0188 per mile.

Not an INCREDIBLE deal, but a decent way to top off a United account to get you a biz class seat.  By my math, the 80,000 one way biz class ticket would cost you about $1,500 (which, coincidentally, is the minimum you have to spend to get the 100% bonus)

http://thepointsguy.com/2016/05/up-to-100-percent-bonus-buy-united-miles/

I have an absurd number of Chase UR points, so I will not be participating.