IGNORED

Earplugs

PLEASE HELP!!!!!! I've just landed in pattaya after a couple of week's in Bangkok & I've lost my silicone ear plugs. They only cost £2 from a pharmacy in the UK but are priceless to me as without them i just can't sleep (noise from the bars really loud until very late ) please could someone tell me where to buy some ear plugs, silicone would be great but really any will do.

Do not have a clear answer for you, but there is a store in the basement of TukCom that sells just about anything.

Otherwise try Home-Pro (DIY) in the same building as Big-C Extra.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not 100% sure on this, but if it were happening to me in Pattaya right now, the first thing I would do is check the biggest 7/11 near me since there is always a big one within walking distance that seems to have everything.  Then I would google and go to the nearest shooting range, there are a few in Patt and North Patt and they most definitely will have the plugs in addition to headphone style.  I would also try the huge athletic store in Central Festibal (1st or second floor-I do not remember) near the beach road end of the mall.  Its a general sports store with all sport stuff, I bought swimming goggles and earplugs there before.

Good luck.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone bother to say something on the way out that the music is too fucking loud?  I do.

When you're fucking, its life.  Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.

Does anyone bother to say something on the way out that the music is too fucking loud?  I do.

there is a bar in Pattaya that plays music at a very comfortable level and it is probably my most favorite bar in town.

EXCEPT ... on Fridays it features a live band and no way in hell can you have a conversation so guess where you will NEVER see me on Fridays.

Not a TGIF kinda place.

• 2 months later...

your flag shows USA. I ordered from earplugstore.com I use the Nascar NR33.  I have used them for a decade and they work like a charm.  They are soft but with a cone shape, I love them. 

Cowards die many times before their deaths; The valiant never taste of death but once.

5 hours ago, The Sculptor said:

your flag shows USA. I ordered from earplugstore.com I use the Nascar NR33.  I have used them for a decade and they work like a charm.  They are soft but with a cone shape, I love them. 

Presumable you meant NRR 33.

One thing to note about Noise Reduction Ratings (NRR) is that they largely are BS.
For starters noise measurements for the purpose of exposure are done using a rating of dBA and NRR are published using dBC weighting.
At higher frequencies the are not too different, but a lower frequencies the two are like night and day.
A recommendation used to be that to convert from dBC to dBA one should de-rate by more than 75%.
Most recommendations these days are to de-rate by as much as 98% to also compensate for the fact that most are clueless as how to fit plugs in the ear canal.

I used to give hearing conservation seminars and would hand a pair of plugs to each participant.
About 1 in 20 could actually insert one correctly.

Concerning which plug to use, it depends on the application.
Foam (polyurethane) are soft and the most comfortable for limited time use, but the tend to keep expanding to a point of creating undue pressure and when inserted you have to be quick to get a proper fit.
PVC takes longer to expand and stop doing so when the pressure is reasonable, on the other hand PVC are more abrasive and put in and taken out many times in a period can cause irritation.
Silicone (reusable) falls in between concerning most pros and cons, but have lower NRR though easier to fit so net effect may be even better.

The prices at the earplustore seems reasonable in quantities, however, an industrial safety supply store may give you a better price.

Am I the only one that has problems with their ears while flying? My ears get clogged bad while taking off and descending. The only thing that I found to help is Earplanes. But they are about $6 a pair and they don't work everytime. My ears are uncomfortable for hours afterwards. 

Best option are the Bose Quietcomfort 20. Use them without connecting to anything and they quiet the hubbub extremely well, elevator noises, traffic and work great on planes. Far easier to sleep with than over the ear Bose headphones. Great in ear with three different sized earplugs to get the best fit. 

They are a little costly as I discovered on a recent trip where I forgot mine and had to buy another pair at the iShop at the airport.

Get the wired ones as the wireless ones mount on the back of the neck and look to be terrible for sleeping and they cost more by a fair bit.

And naturally great with the music player.

4 hours ago, Brianrich1 said:

Am I the only one that has problems with their ears while flying? My ears get clogged bad while taking off and descending. The only thing that I found to help is Earplanes. But they are about $6 a pair and they don't work everytime. My ears are uncomfortable for hours afterwards. 

Earplugs have no real function when it comes to the issue you are describing.
They can create a delay in the inevitable happening, but cannot relieve anything.

It is not an unusual problem and relates to the ability of opening the tubes which connects the middle ear with the back of the nasal cavity.
They are normally closed and should open momentarily when swallowing or yawning, however, eustachian tube dysfunctions may prevent that from happening.
Causes may be a nasal infection, allergies, sinusitis, tonsils, smoking, or a physical disorder.
If it happens only when flying it is likely something minor, but uncomfortable nonetheless or even painful.

When ascending the pressure in the cabin drops and to you it feels like the pressure in your ear is increasing; at some point that higher pressure in the ear will force the Eustachian tubes to open.
When descending the problem is worse as the negative pressure will make the tubes collapse and possibly stuck like that for hours.

If you have underlying conditions like allergies, sinus infections or a cold basic treatment with over the counter remedies should be considered
Swallowing is key and often not enough saliva is produced to swallow often enough so drinking sips of water, chewing gum or sucking on hard candy may do the trick and don't forget to yawn Wide frequently.
If not you may force you eustration tubes a little.
To reduce pressure (ascending) pinch your nose and swallow
To increase middle ear pressure (descending) pinch your nose and blow pressure in your mouth and nose.
The pinch and blow may have to be repeated several times if the tubes are fully collapsed ... start this routing before it gets too bad.

On 6/2/2017 at 1:17 PM, MrDK said:

Presumable you meant NRR 33.

Most recommendations these days are to de-rate by as much as 98% to also compensate for the fact that most are clueless as how to fit plugs in the ear canal.

Mr DK --

Thank you for your input on this thread regarding the NRR ratings and other scientific matters.  Also, you are correct regarding the proper way to insert earplugs into the canal and concur regarding the foam earplugs which expand if rolled, compressed, and inserted properly. 

I was able to purchase something like wadding that I put into my ears, I purchased this from Boots Pharmacy on Walking Street,  That was when I went to Zab , man that was loud.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
2 hours ago, LouBaby said:

I recommend Mack's as well, but it would look weird wearing them in a club or concert setting. Best to use them at night to sleep.

Use DeciDamp2 which features one of the highest NRR (29), they are near to skin color (for white people) and made of PVC.
PVC earplugs are superior if you leave in the ear for long periods as they do not forcefully expand, unlike, polyurethane which can create a fair bit of pressure after a while. However, if you want to take them out and reinsert every 15 minutes polyurethane are less abrasive.
The DesiDamp2 is an OEM product of the E-A-R brand (yellow)
I have tested the E-A-R (meaning also the DeciDamp2) when cut in half and the NRR remains above 20, though taking the half's out may require a bit of fingernails.
If you Ever see a person wearing earplugs, of whatever color, and you see more than 15% of the plug while inserted, that person needs some training.
I did some training for an airline and during first inspection as much as 80% of the plug was outside of the ear canal for most users, read near useless.
I posted correct insertion techniques earlier in this thread, but I guess it went on "deaf ears" (pun intended)
If you insert an earplug correctly an observer literally will have to be in an angle less than 45º (possibly 1/2 that) to see it and even if the plug is yellow, orange, green or beige that observer should complement you for protecting your hearing rather than you feeling it is weird.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys. I have been an audio engineer for over 30 years, and I can highly recommend the Etymotic ER-20 earplugs! I used to have some custom fitted earplugs, that I loved! But, eventually the changeable filters fell out and got lost (but the $150 investment gave me over 8 years of service, so I couldn't complain). I have now tried numerous non-custom earplugs, and these are my favorites. You put them in your ears, and the clear stems are only noticeable to those who are right up on you, speaking directly in your ear. I've given them to many of my friends to wear at music festivals, and they love them, because it makes it much easier to have a conversation over the music... I've been using them for years for concerts and music festivals, and I wear them all the time in a-gogos! When you have a girl with you, you can take one out and slide it into the little mini-pocket of your jeans temporarily, if you want. But, you can definitely have conversations with your buddies while they're in, once you're used to them... 

Find them at Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Fidelity-Earplugs-ETY-Plugs-Standard/dp/B0044DEESS/ref=sr_1_5_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1510241248&sr=8-5&keywords=ear%2Bplugs%2Betymotic&th=1

The ER20 has the worst noise reduction rating (NRR) that I have ever seen; just 12 ... sticking you fingers in your ear would do much better (estimated NRR is over 20)
I used to give hearing conservation seminars with Elliot Berger and Don Gasaway (Then E.A.R / Cabot Safety, now 3M) ... I did the noise monitoring part.
One thing that was always taught was NRR is over rated for two reasons. NRR's are established using EPA measuring methods which are C-weighted (dBC) and noise measurements are done using A-weighting (dBA) which quite different as each adhere to a different phon curve (100dB SPL vs. 40dB SPL) and common guide lines are to deduct 7 from any NRR to approximate Real effectiveness. That would make ER20 a rating of 5dB when adjusting from dBC to dBA.
Further, the largest manufacturer of hearing protectors (E.A.R. by 3M) recommends to further divide the calculated dBA NRR by two to compensate for improper fitting by the user. 95% of users of in-canal hearing protection devices know not how to properly insert them. That would bring ER20 down to 2.5dBA, in which case why bother; a good bit of earwax might do just as well.

nnr_label_opt.png 

I use these. Cheap as chips and fit really well. Classed as disposable, so i use them for about a year before i chuck em away :)

aparently snr and nrr is the same thing.

IMG_0691.PNG

SNR and NRR are near the same thing, slightly different test protocols.
The E-A-R classic was based on an idea of a factory employee that (on his own) used foam packing material as ear plugs (no different than Moldex invented the negative pressure particulate respirator using bra cups)
When the Classic was introduced E-A-R received multiple patents including a utility patent on the yellow color.
When introduced the NRR was 35, then they dropped it some (31 or 32 IIRC) and later it became 28.
Although these numbers are misleading, dBC vs. dBA, the E-A-R is still rated as among the best of the best.
When first marketed it was advertised as washable for up to 100 uses, but given the low price few bothered to wash them. To wash them get a "delicate washing bag" as used for lingerie; it will easily hold 100 ear plugs.
Among compressible ear plugs there are two types: PVC and Polyester.
The E-A-R classic is PVC and best suited if you leave it in for extended periods as they stop expanding with minor pressure. Polyester are best suited for people that frequently take them out and reinsert as they are less abrasive, but after a while they can create uncomfortable pressure as they try to expand to full size over time.
My favorite is the E-A-R that you posted data about.

• 3 months later...

Although i love music,live music i  find gogo`s a bit to loud.I go bb which i find a lot better.Plenty to choose from and a great deal cheaper. Ben.

21 minutes ago, ben nevis said:

Although i love music,live music i  find gogo`s a bit to loud.I go bb which i find a lot better.Plenty to choose from and a great deal cheaper. Ben.

I like to go bb as well. I had no idea it protects your ears!

On 6/3/2017 at 03:55, MrDK said:

To reduce pressure (ascending) pinch your nose and swallow
To increase middle ear pressure (descending) pinch your nose and blow pressure in your mouth and nose.
The pinch and blow may have to be repeated several times if the tubes are fully collapsed ... start this routing before it gets too bad.

Thank you.  I've always punched my nose and blew for ascending and descending.

With regards to noise level of music in Thailand it would make Lemmy proud but to me it is overbearing a lot of the time but same when you visit a lot of places in the UK but the Thais tend to add an extra few notches to the sound level.

Archived