IGNORED

Earplugs

Yes, I found the db level in nearly every SEA club to push my ears to pain and quickly began using earplugs.  It sure seemed to me that at some of the big clubs the db level was cranked up continuously all night long, starting in the 100 range and being pushed higher as the night went on.  Probably toward 110 because even my ear plugs were borderline.  With earplugs, somehow I could hear conversation better, tough enough with English ASL with most.

When you're fucking, its life.  Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, I found the db level in nearly every SEA club to push my ears to pain and quickly began using earplugs. It sure seemed to me that at some of the big clubs the db level was cranked up continuously all night long, starting in the 100 range and being pushed higher as the night went on. Probably toward 110 because even my ear plugs were borderline. With earplugs, somehow I could hear conversation better, tough enough with English ASL with most.

One way I spot BGs is by how loud they speak. I have noticed non BGs never talk as loud as BGs in public places.

Am I correct? Would welcome your views.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Daryle

• 1 month later...

Ear plugs go in my toiletry bag these days as standard.

Along with all the other mongering and sprucing gear.

If you're travelling to parts unknown, especially in Asia, it can be a God-awfully noisy place.

Good to have the option to plug up and get some sleep if you find yourself in a hotel you booked because you thought it was wise to be conveniently in the middle of the action.

Then found yourself in the middle of the action.

• 1 year later...

Great topic. I find excessive noise eventually disorientates me as well as not liking the noise so I just do not enjoy myself. Will be stocking up with some EP before I leave home. This is one thing I will not scrimp on cost.

www.sugarcanemafia.com

Great topic. I find excessive noise eventually disorientates me as well as not liking the noise so I just do not enjoy myself. Will be stocking up with some EP before I leave home. This is one thing I will not scrimp on cost.

Get some moulded with filters in, you can change the filter for 25db less (mine are) you can have what ever is beneficial to you.

ACS do a good pair.

See my thread here:

Earplugs

This is all you need (image below).  Perfect color, doesn't stand out with neon green, disposable, comfortable.

You can get them on Amazon here - http://www.amazon.com/Macks-Ear-Care-Ultra-Earplugs/dp/B0051U7W32/

pUdZCol.jpg

Alternatively, Hearos, but I recommend Mack's

0nCuUJT.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Them plugs are so handy, and very effective l use them a lot when l do go to the shooting range every couple of weeks.

l Recommend the foam ones. Avoid the silicone ones they will irritate your ears an do them damage with frequent use.

Will be packing them PLUGS for sure now ( just remembered my hotel has construction going on behind it)

• 1 month later...

I usually bring plugs for sleeping (mainly on the plane), but never thought about using them in clubs. Then again I don't often go to clubs because the music is shit

Might give it a go tho, sounds like a good idea.

I always use the foam ones, way more comfortable than the silicone (moulds or rigid).

Just wish I could find ones that were wind sound-proof - I'm a light sleeper so the slightest wind keeps me up and where I live (in Scotland) it's seriously windy.

Ear plugs do nothing to reduce that noise :sad:

I didn't find Insomnia to loud but them Turkish bars near Walking Street are a joke completely out of bounds for me.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I always use earplug in gogobars and discos, because the music is most all the time too loud, and can damage my ear, as I know by my study in science.

And as an other contributor said, you always can ear better the conversation.

The only problem is the few time I try to buy some earplug in thai pharmacy, there were from very bad quality, reducing nothing, and falling in dust... So I need to think to buy some in pharmacy in Europe.

Somebody find good earplugs in Thaialnd, and can recommand a pharmacy or a brand ?

I usually bring plugs for sleeping (mainly on the plane), but never thought about using them in clubs. Then again I don't often go to clubs because the music is shit

Might give it a go tho, sounds like a good idea.

I always use the foam ones, way more comfortable than the silicone (moulds or rigid).

Just wish I could find ones that were wind sound-proof - I'm a light sleeper so the slightest wind keeps me up and where I live (in Scotland) it's seriously windy.

Ear plugs do nothing to reduce that noise :sad:

Have you tried the whole ... playing a humming sound through your stereo/computer thing?

Plenty of resources out there to choose from. I've heard some can be particularly effective.

I'm usually too drunk by the time I get into these places to give a fuck, but on a plane I've got them in nearly the whole time, even when I'm watching movies or listening to music.

Seems like two out of every three human beings have a persistent cough they've got to -not clear, but- weakly grunt/splutter about every five or six seconds. Often completely open-mouthed. Or there are snorers or kids that won't shut up.

I've got no problem being in crowds anywhere, but put me on a plane for 15 hours with a bunch of people who couldn't care less about how their noises might affect other people and my thoughts occasionally seem to end up getting a bit murdery.

Speaking from personal experience, once one has hearing damage, one would do a lot to be able to go back in time and be more careful. If I could do it again I'd never be in a situation where there is loud music or other noise without good hearing protection. Once the damage is present, it's too late. 

it is usefull in disco but how do you manage to speak with girls ?  i use them for sleeping and in the planes .  So i still go in discos without ears plugs buti manage to stay inside not for a long time .  

But i have always that sensation of breathing /feeling bettter when just out of the disco . 

But it can help : i always forget instantaneoulsy  the name of the girl i picked up , so saying    "what your name again ? i couldn't ear it very well in the disco because of the noise" . 

If you don't want to walk around with something sticking out of your ear have a look at Docs proplugs. The fit inside the ear, come in clear and have a small hole (vented) which reduces the volume but stil allows you to hear clearly.

http://www.proplugs.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=proplugs&Product_Code=PPV&Category_Code=proplugs

• 5 months later...

Sorry to reply to an old thred, but it caught me

Some 20 years ago I spent seven years marketing sound level meters and noise dosimeters and gave 100's of seminars in hearing conservation.

Here are some stats:

If exposed to 85dBA for eight hours (average), disregarding anything below 80dB, you are a candidate for experiencing a hearing loss after several years of exposure.

If exposed to 90dBA for eight hours (average), disregarding anything below 90dB, you likely will experiencing a hearing loss after years of exposure

At 115dBA you are candidate after 15 minutes of repeat exposure

At 140dBA you may be candidate in a few exposures.

I have measures several bars in Pattaya and most come up as "don't worry" (as a guest)

Secrets, Baby Dolls and Sweethearts registered around 85dBA, so no worries for customers and hardly no worries for employees.

A few others like Iron Club and Airport came up much higher, but as a guest I would not worry given time, but employees are at risk.

So how about earplugs?

ANYTHING you can shove in your ear to reduce exposure is a good thing

Manufactures of earplug compete to marketed the highest NRR (Noise Reduction Rating) and IRL the are all BS as they are rated in dBC when exposure hazards are measured in dBA.

All that aside, if you stuff "something" in your ear canal and reduce exposure you are ahead of the game.

Some argue that hearing conservation limits communication and other audible functions.

That is 90% untrue, only higher audio frequencies may be affected ... like a bargirl whispering in your ear.

When people are in a loud environment they shout and when people in the same environment wear hearing protection they hear the ambient "noise" and the spoken (yelled) speech more or less at the same relative volume, regardless of protection.

Try it some day ... go to a place that have LOUD music, wear earplugs and let people shout over the music and all will be the same ... except quieter.

^

> "Sorry to reply to an old thred"

No need to apologize; some very informative information above.

• 3 weeks later...

This is very informative.  I usually bring a pair of plugs for sleep during long flights, but never thought of using them when I visit loud music venues... I suppose there's no harm in shouting in order to talk at one of these places; everyone has to shout anyway to hear each other.  I will definitely bring a bunch with me on my trip.

This is very informative.  I usually bring a pair of plugs for sleep during long flights, but never thought of using them when I visit loud music venues... I suppose there's no harm in shouting in order to talk at one of these places; everyone has to shout anyway to hear each other.  I will definitely bring a bunch with me on my trip.

Well there is harm.

In the audiology world there are two terms being used and one is masking and the other effective masking.

There are disagreements whether effective masking is necessary to perform a bilateral hearing test.

Masking is generally 3dB higher than the test signal and effective masking 10dB higher.

How does that relate to shouting?

In order to hear words you need to shout 3-10dB above the background (music) do at the moment you are trying listen to someone talking (shouting) you are exposed to 3-10dB higher sound levels.

3dB is a doubling of the sound pressure.

10sB is a ten times increase in sound pressure.

Logarithmic scale :)

By using hearing protection you are basically reducing Everything, HOWEVER ...

Earplugs do a better job at higher frequencies so you will benefit more talking to a male than a female and the first disadvantage will be the "S"-sounds.

I have often gone to concerts or loud parties cutting a plug in half.

Not to save money (had them by the multiple thousands for free), but just to reduce the levels a reasonable exposure level.

Heck, even cotton balls can reduce noise levels by as much as 10dB while a correctly used earplug may reduce exposure as much as 30dB

Not too late DK and not too old of a thread. 

Your nice post will show it in new content and help people again.

On a related topic, swimmers ear is also a big thing for me and I bring the water type as well. 

Thanks

Not too late DK and not too old of a thread. 

Your nice post will show it in new content and help people again.

On a related topic, swimmers ear is also a big thing for me and I bring the water type as well. 

Thanks

When I was a teen and went to the community swimming poll I noted that some people used cotton for "swimmers ear" so I decided to give it a try.

Not that I needed, but just for the heck of it.

The problem was that I would not be swimming, but rather diving and would be 5-7 meters underwater.

I forgot about cotton and over the course of 2-3 months my hearing deteriorated badly.

Finally went to an ENT who took a look with an otoscope in both ears and concluded excessive wax buildup.

Lukewarm water, a tray and a 100cc syringe to flush my ears.

Out came 2-3 month old [compressed] cotton balls

The ENT doctor nearly fell over laughing.

When I got to the street NEVER had traffic noise been so loud as I have partly adjusted to the "hearing loss"

Damn, it was like noises you would hear in a horror movie.

It took a couple of days before all was normal again.

The moral of the story: Remember to remove whatever you put in your ears AND put nothing in so far that it touches you tympanic membrane.

If you use a regular earplug roll it as thin as you can then pull up your helix as far as reasonable and gently insert it nice and gently and you should get a perfect fit.

If you only need earplugs for occasions like a concert or a disco buy a pair of flanged plugs.

They are not the most efficient, but sometime you do not want or need Maximum protection.

They are easy to clean and can be used 100 times, just remember to rinse them before use as dirt they may collect in your pocket can cause cellulitis which is rare, but preventable.

My ex had cellulitis from dropping a Bluetooth earphone in her car and putting it back in her ear.

She was in pain and could not be seen in public for several days, it looked like her left ear was about to explode.

99% of the time cellulitis is perfectly treatable, but in rare cases ... not so much.

Just make sure that whatever you put in your ears is clean and not abrasive.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!! I've just landed in pattaya after a couple of week's in Bangkok & I've lost my silicone ear plugs. They only cost £2 from a pharmacy in the UK but are priceless to me as without them i just can't sleep (noise from the bars really loud until very late ) please could someone tell me where to buy some ear plugs, silicone would be great but really any will do.

Archived