Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Installation of WiFi and cabling

devee8

By APs do you mean Airports? Did you get it working?

An AP is an Access Port. 

These devices can be set up as an Access Port (Allows devices to access a WIFI network) , A Bridge (Links two networks together) or a Repeater (extending the WIFI network).

Airports is an Apple Mac WIFI product and yes an Airport can be an Access Port.

There are some that only employ words for the purpose of disguising their thoughts.

Voltaire

An AP is an Access Port. 

These devices can be set up as an Access Port (Allows devices to access a WIFI network) , A Bridge (Links two networks together) or a Repeater (extending the WIFI network).

Airports is an Apple Mac WIFI product and yes an Airport can be an Access Port.

In the past, I've found AP to mean the specific Apple device, but that's probably just the crowd I hang with..  ;)   

In my setup (Apple, natch…) I've got the main base station (AP Extreme) running 802.11n and several smaller (AP Expresses) repeating throughout my house, backyard and basement. Is this how you're running it, or are you running several networks and bridging between them?

In the past, I've found AP to mean the specific Apple device, but that's probably just the crowd I hang with..  ;)   

In my setup (Apple, natch…) I've got the main base station (AP Extreme) running 802.11n and several smaller (AP Expresses) repeating throughout my house, backyard and basement. Is this how you're running it, or are you running several networks and bridging between them?

You will find that most common routers/modems have an inbuilt WIFI connection but if not, you can connect an access point (AP)  to give you a WIFI connection. If you have ethernet cable to other remote places (eg back shed) then you can connect these AP’s to create an extra “cell”. This would be great in a hotel or a guesthouse.

If you don’t have any cable you might “repeat” your WIFI signal so your cell covers a greater. This works well if you had a premises across a road and wanted to run your WIFI in both places. Running wires is best but not always practical.

If you had two premises with multiple cells (eg 2 Guest Houses) then you could set two Access points to operate as a “Bridge” so you would share one internet service between both places. It also allows you to share files on computers or set up CCTVin one central place.

Most WIFI networks will only give you a reliable 30 meter range so it is often necessary to tweek things. These devices are so cheap now days that I stick them in to get overlapping cells everywhere. 

TP-Link TL-WA901ND 300Mbps Wireless N Access Point    $53

1b.jpg

There are some that only employ words for the purpose of disguising their thoughts.

Voltaire

You will find that most common routers/modems have an inbuilt WIFI connection but if not, you can connect an access point (AP)  to give you a WIFI connection. If you have ethernet cable to other remote places (eg back shed) then you can connect these AP’s to create an extra “cell”. This would be great in a hotel or a guesthouse.

TP-Link TL-WA901ND 300Mbps Wireless N Access Point    $53

I appreciate the tutorial and advertisement, but I was trying to help the OP with the problem...

I appreciate the tutorial and advertisement, but I was trying to help the OP with the problem...

Sorry if I gave you too much information but you asked me a specific question which had multiple answers and gave me two options. Neither option was in keeping with the advice I gave the OP and I was left with the impression you didn’t understand the advice. I actually design and manage WIFI networks for a living and offered the advice free of charge. 

Voltaire

Ok so on the ground floor we have a wireless router D-Link then we have 3 floors above on which I have located 2 Access Points from D-Link the APs are connected via cat 5e cabling back to the router

• 2 weeks later...

Should work just fine, as long as you:

- set up the other floor APs as extensions

- or gave them their own floor designations.

• 4 weeks later...

Setting up a guesthouse / condo wifi network is a bit more complicated than most people think. You  dont want to go all wireless but if it is a problem with wires  it can be done.  But what is most important is that no clients on the network can talk to each other, there is a few different ways of doing it, but the easiest to offer a local proxy or vpn.

There is so many people that share folders on the ir computers  or have other services running that  should not be accessible to everyone in a guesthouse. Also you want to use a captive portal so that you need to login before getting access to  the internet,  That way your neighbourgs wont leach on your connection slowing in down for your customers.

Just hand out one time passwords to customers, that you print out from the captive portal program. 

Its also important to throttle each connection to 1/0.1mb or so.  

Also stop users from using bittorrent since it slows things down really bad, especially on wireless and cheap routers/APs.

If you want to provide streaming video to guests, you should use some kind of streambox or smarttv  and put the server and the clients on a wired separate VLAN,  or if you can just do wireless,  put them on a different subnet.  Its important cause especially windows machines are very chatty, and  that can  impact the quality of stream.

PM if you need more help.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Fishdeamon

You seem to be knowledgeable about this can you PM so we can discuss as I am now looking for someone to assist in configuring the devices as I believe I need to configure the IP address ranges. I did drop you a PM but have not had a reply 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived