IGNORED

Smoking in restaurants - OK or not?

I am not a smoker but happy that others smoke when and where they want, except in restaurants when i am trying eat.

I was in 18 coins the other day with some inconsiderate prat sat next to me. Even though he was sat opposite the sign saying no smoking he was puffing away on his cigs. When HIS food came of course he stopped but as soon as he finished he started smoking again despite the fact that others around him were eating.

If there is a sign it shouldn't be done. Especially if it's inside. If there is no sign and I'm outside I'm inclined to smoke.

This is going to reignite the ongoing smoking debate yet again.............

I'm a smoker.  Smoking in enclosed restaurants, absolutely not, whether there's a sign in place or not.  Courtesy should dictate that you refrain from smoking until you have finished your meal and left the building.

I now sit back and wait for someone to take the thread totally off-topic and start talking about lighting-up in bars and Agogo's, which is what usually happens.

Cheers

Perthie

Perthie's PA Bash and Bikini/Glow Party 19th May 2017.  Bikini clad girls in body paint, great food including pig roast, free shots, games and prizes for the lads and lasses.

6pm onwards at Sexy In The City (Soi 6) under the hosting expertise of the magnificent Xylanic.

I caught my 10 year old son smoking on of those electronic cigarettes in the pub yesterday.

So I said son what do you think you are doing those things are for poofters, and bought him a pack of real ones.

no its fooking not its unacceptable

Marit

Some smokers are considerate, others are not.

First thing some smokers do is light up when they arrive at a restaurant. Why not smoke as you make your way there?

Last thing they do is have a ciggie, why not spark up as soon as they leave the restaurant?

How any "intelligent" person chooses to smoke is beyond me :Think1:

simple... they choose cigars :) and maybe a pipe.

as for the main topic... if there is a sign saying no smoking, then patrons should follow the wishes of the owner... it is HIS place, he put his money and life into it, so people should respect the owners decisions.

however, this also works in the reverse, if the owner says smoking inside is ok, then go for it..... if some customers dont like it, then go somewhere else and support a different business.

personally i hate the smell of cigarettes, especially when im eating.... but im not about to infringe upon a bar owners freedom to decide how to run his place. it should always be up to the owner.... customers can vote with their money.

im curious why the OP did not speak up and ask the smoker to go outside, or ask the staff to tell him?

if there is a sign clearly saying no smoking inside, then he should have no fear of pointing it out to the guy and doing everyone a favor.

I am not a smoker but happy that others smoke when and where they want, except in restaurants when i am trying eat.

I was in 18 coins the other day with some inconsiderate prat sat next to me. Even though he was sat opposite the sign saying no smoking he was puffing away on his cigs. When HIS food came of course he stopped but as soon as he finished he started smoking again despite the fact that others around him were eating.

Unless it's changed in 18 Coins recently it used to be a sign asking that smokers consider their fellow diners ?. It wasn't a definite no smoking sign and there's always been ashtrays on the tables.

I think it also says that customers have to wear a shirt in the restaurant, that definitely wasn't enforced.

that is right! i am a smoker and i do consider others the sign in 18 coins does say consider other diners.i always try to sit on the left hand side as you walk in it is wide open and in no way should bother any of the other customers should i decide to smoke whilst waiting for my meal.i do try to refrain from smoking but ive found the service is so slow there somtimes i feel the need to smoke when waiting for my food.

Unless it's changed in 18 Coins recently it used to be a sign asking that smokers consider their fellow diners ?. It wasn't a definite no smoking sign and there's always been ashtrays on the tables.

I think it also says that customers have to wear a shirt in the restaurant, that definitely wasn't enforced.

most people dont choose to smoke these days.me myself thinks it is a terrible habit but i have tried to stop and find it difficult.i dont consider myself less  intelligent because i smoke it is just a severe addiction.if you know a way to stop without the cravings please let me know because i hate being victimised for my habit 

i always try to consider others around me when i want to light up and when i take a girl back to my room i always go outside to smoke i have even stayed in non smoking hotels to try to decrease the amount i smoke.

so please could you non smokers consider how difficult it can be for us smokers sometimes.

this is not a rant i hate smoking but i just cant stop.

Why anyone would question someones intelligence over a matter of smoking is beyond me!

It really is as stupid as saying that 'Intelligent' people shouldn't drink,cross the rod,bike without a helmet,etc.

It always  amazes me what the nonsmokers will come out with, if they done some serious research in to it they would see that it is dangerous, but not nearly as much as it is made out!

Bill

simple... they choose cigars :) and maybe a pipe.

as for the main topic... if there is a sign saying no smoking, then patrons should follow the wishes of the owner... it is HIS place, he put his money and life into it, so people should respect the owners decisions.

however, this also works in the reverse, if the owner says smoking inside is ok, then go for it..... if some customers dont like it, then go somewhere else and support a different business.

personally i hate the smell of cigarettes, especially when im eating.... but im not about to infringe upon a bar owners freedom to decide how to run his place. it should always be up to the owner.... customers can vote with their money.

im curious why the OP did not speak up and ask the smoker to go outside, or ask the staff to tell him?

if there is a sign clearly saying no smoking inside, then he should have no fear of pointing it out to the guy and doing everyone a favor.

I did speak up to the smoker but he just ignored me and continued smoking. I even moved my plate to the next table but he was not bothered.

I too smoke cigarettes, on and off mind you.

I consider myself a considerate person and try to get away from non smokers when I wish

To light up.

I would never smoke in an eating establishment that's just rude.

The only time I smoke around others is in a designated zone outside.

It does amaze me though the amount of wowsers who encroach this area and think they have

A right to lecture me and others on our habit.

Some people just can not help thenselves.

I'm thinking we all need some tolerance on this subject.

Bear

if you know a way to stop without the cravings please let me know because i hate being victimised for my habit 

I've heard Duck Tape works pretty well.  :GoldenSmile1: 

Could say the same about many things alcohol, soda, chips and other junk food, fast food, sweets, white bread, personal vehicles, pleasure travel, having more than two sets of clothes, etc

The thing is Chairman Mao, in free countries people are allowed to make their own choices about how to spend their lives and resources even if you don't approve. :Crazy1:

No it is not OK.  It is illegal in Thailand and the owners can be fined thousands of Baht for allowing smoking indoors.

I would never waste money on smoking, I would rather use it to pay for a girl to smoke me.  smokers are just druggies with no self control and I see it as a sign of weakness. Though I did once smoke 50 King Edward cigars that I brought back from Germany when I was in the Army because no one wanted to buy them.

Both my parents died from smoking and I used to throw my dads lighter up the back garden if I caught him having a sly smoke even though he just got out of hospital and knew it was killing him. I remember how the walls in our house were so dark yellow from the smoke you could scrape them.

If I was eating out, I would point to the sign and ask them to put it out nicely,   if it was four big blokes and only me I would just walk around the corner and phone bib.

In the UK last week 2 smack users sat next to me on the Metro, the girl was smoking and the guy was so off his head. I didn't say anything and the girl bumped into me and said she was sorry, in the past I would have went off it.when I was driving a taxi I threw druggies out of my cab on a couple of occasions, but is it worth the risk of getting stabbed just to tell someone something they should know anyway. I know some people would lay them out, but I don't come to Pattaya to sit in  Police station. 

Like a say phone Bib, they can fine the smokers and the owner, no one likes paying money, but some people like fighting.

if your father struggled to quit smoking after leaving hospital you of all people should know what a difficult habit it is to quit.when i was growing up it was all over the tv how cool it was to smoke so in my opinion its the older generation who are responsible for the smoking problem in the world today.

and to compare someone that smokes to some smack head shows just how crazy you are 

and i suppose going round pattaya sleeping with bar girls doesnt cause any risk to ones health either

I would never waste money on smoking, I would rather use it to pay for a girl to smoke me.  smokers are just druggies with no self control and I see it as a sign of weakness. Though I did once smoke 50 King Edward cigars that I brought back from Germany when I was in the Army because no one wanted to buy them.

Both my parents died from smoking and I used to throw my dads lighter up the back garden if I caught him having a sly smoke even though he just got out of hospital and knew it was killing him. I remember how the walls in our house were so dark yellow from the smoke you could scrape them.

If I was eating out, I would point to the sign and ask them to put it out nicely,   if it was four big blokes and only me I would just walk around the corner and phone bib.

In the UK last week 2 smack users sat next to me on the Metro, the girl was smoking and the guy was so off his head. I didn't say anything and the girl bumped into me and said she was sorry, in the past I would have went off it.when I was driving a taxi I threw druggies out of my cab on a couple of occasions, but is it worth the risk of getting stabbed just to tell someone something they should know anyway. I know some people would lay them out, but I don't come to Pattaya to sit in  Police station. 

Like a say phone Bib, they can fine the smokers and the owner, no one likes paying money, but some people like fighting.

I would never waste money on smoking, I would rather use it to pay for a girl to smoke me. smokers are just druggies with no self control and I see it as a sign of weakness. Though I did once smoke 50 King Edward cigars that I brought back from Germany when I was in the Army because no one wanted to buy them.

If I was eating out, I would point to the sign and ask them to put it out nicely, if it was four big blokes and only me I would just walk around the corner and phone bib.

In the UK last week 2 smack users sat next to me on the Metro, the girl was smoking and the guy was so off his head. I didn't say anything and the girl bumped into me and said she was sorry, in the past I would have went off it.when I was driving a taxi I threw druggies out of my cab on a couple of occasions, but is it worth the risk of getting stabbed just to tell someone something they should know anyway. I know some people would lay them out, but I don't come to Pattaya to sit in Police station.

So in your opinion smokers are druggies in the same league as heroin, crack, ice and cocaine users? That's a pretty long bow to draw Dave. Seeing you are so opposed to drugs I certainly hope you don't drink that other legal drug, alcohol!

yes it happens in Secrets walking st ,& iv had it in 18 coins too no good when eating your food both good eateries as well. NOT GOOD :Bye5:  

if your father struggled to quit smoking after leaving hospital you of all people should know what a difficult habit it is to quit.when i was growing up it was all over the tv how cool it was to smoke so in my opinion its the older generation who are responsible for the smoking problem in the world today.

and to compare someone that smokes to some smack head shows just how crazy you are 

and i suppose going round pattaya sleeping with bar girls doesnt cause any risk to ones health either

Yes that's why when I said druggies I'm saying smokers are addicts.

So in your opinion smokers are druggies in the same league as heroin, crack, ice and cocaine users? That's a pretty long bow to draw Dave. Seeing you are so opposed to drugs I certainly hope you don't drink that other legal drug, alcohol!

Well my sister also died from cancer and she never smoked and I wonder how much of that came from breathing in my parents smoke, don't get me wrong each to their own just don't take us with you, when all were doing is trying to have a meal.

Hi,

I have smoked in the past but I kicked the habit years ago. And, I have to say that I wish that I had never ever smoked. How one can inhale toxic smoke into ones lungs and not realise that it's not a good thing to do is totally beyond me.

But, I also believe that if people want to do it then so be it but with one important proviso and that is they can smoke as much as they like wherever they like provided that they don't exhale thereby forcing me to inhale their smoke. Therefore, irrespective of whether there's signs or not, smoking next to me whilst I'm having a meal or a drink is strictly off limits.

Basically, I don't want to die. Also, I don't want to whiff!

when i was growing up it was all over the tv how cool it was to smoke so in my opinion its the older generation who are responsible for the smoking problem in the world today.

Your never alone with a Strand.

For some reason that's one advert I still remember. :unsure:

Archived