IGNORED

Indian food reccomendation....

properperson

after 3.5 years living here and having experienced the not that good, the pretty darn bad and the positively ugly - A new place has opened that shines out like a shaft of gold when all around is dark:

The place - Cheap Charlie's, Soi Lenkee

i had chicken tika masala with garlic nan, which as i recall cost 280b - the quality of which is on a par with the decent quality indian restaurants i frequented when i lived in the UK....

The owner used to have an Indian restaurant in Birmingham (UK)....

I have not had a decent Nan in Pattaya yet.

I did not know there was an Indian restaurant in Soi Lenkee.

It's just around the corner from where I will be staying next trip so I will check it out.

Thanks.

My Youtube Channel about everything Thailand - TravInThailand

i have tried a few indian restaurants and while i have always been happy with the quality , what annoys me is the price , i understand that foreign food costs more than thai food because it is imported , 280 baht is ok but i have been to place where they want 450 baht for a main coarse , basically british prices for food and spices that are available locally , even went to one in Soi 8 a few years ago and they wanted a service charge

"And were you pleased?" they asked Helen in Hell.

"Pleased?" answered she,when all Troy's towers fell;

And dead were Priam´s sons, and lost his throne?

And such a war was fought as none had known;

And even the Gods took part; and all because

Of me alone! Pleased?

I should say I was!"

Lord Dunsany

i have tried a few indian restaurants and while i have always been happy with the quality , what annoys me is the price , i understand that foreign food costs more than thai food because it is imported , 280 baht is ok but i have been to place where they want 450 baht for a main coarse , basically british prices for food and spices that are available locally , even went to one in Soi 8 a few years ago and they wanted a service charge

Indian food good but to expensive seems the same price a in the USA for mid range food Starting to think there all owned by the same guy or price fix is in?

Ali Baba, on Klang near Beach Rd. Indian by Nature, next to Bruno's but expensive. Mantra at Amari, ok, upscale and expensive.

Bangla Town is cheap if you like trad' Indian food.

Soi OPPOSITE Soi Diamond on 2nd Road. A few Indian and Bangladeshi cafe places there. Caters 99% for local Indian/Thais but gets a few tourists. it is authentic Indian food so if you dont like cumin and bones its probably not for you. Nothing at all like the westernised stuff we are used to back home.

Advertise on Pattaya Addicts. Send me a PM for more info'

Please consider a donation to the forum!

Cheap Charlies is owned by a man from Pakistan, it is a mixture of Indian, Russian, European and Thai foods all cooked to order, moderate in price and decor but a Frugal Freddy participating restaurant that if you show your membership card (PEC or PCEC) you will get a 20% discount off of food and drink.

An even lower priced Indian FF restaurant is Spices 2, off of 3rd road near Pattaya Klang, Great Buffet (mostly vegetarian) Large lunch and dinner buffet is B199 or B150 with card.

a 3rd Indian moderately priced FF restaurant with a much more upscale ambiance than the previous two is Baadshah on 3rd road next to Cherry's, and voted by the FF members as the best Indian restaurant.

Last but not least is Raj, owned by the same Indian family as Baadshah and notably more expensive due to location and fact that it caters to tourists rather than Expats, located on Pattaya Tai, almost at the entrance to Walking Street.

Chicken Tikka Masala is British and apart from a few Veg dishes and snacks, very few of these places serve real Indian food at all..............Its mainly Brummy/Curry: (no such word in Hindi) mix!

Oh and by the way...........Balti means Bucket..........lol

That doesn't mean its not nice, but if its authenticity you are after, its not in Patts.

after 3.5 years living here and having experienced the not that good, the pretty darn bad and the positively ugly - A new place has opened that shines out like a shaft of gold when all around is dark:

The place - Cheap Charlie's, Soi Lenkee

i had chicken tika masala with garlic nan, which as i recall cost 280b - the quality of which is on a par with the decent quality indian restaurants i frequented when i lived in the UK....

The owner used to have an Indian restaurant in Birmingham (UK)....

I hope this is true.. Balti.. is actually a Brummy dish.. gonna seek out this place and hope he makes it Bham style :)

Great tips, thanks guys, went to Raj and had some great food, but been elsewhere and had some unpleasant experiences. I'll be trying the recommendations on here.

Some Indian resturant on the bottom of Mike Shopping Mall ( next to really good and cheap Thai for Thais eatery) really burned me out.

Shown menu, picked a dish.

Totally different dish arrived.

I was the only customer in it and when complaining 3 other manacing Indian individuals showed up.

So I swallowed my dish and asked for cheque.

It was twice what i ordered in the first place.

This time, I had enough. I got pissed off.

I said, I'm calling cops to close this estabilisment.

I am a falang working for Thai food inspector and I followed customers complains.

Food Dept. people are waiting outside for me and my report.

And as I was walking outside, all four were appologizing

and saying that was pleasure to have me here and the food is on them.

Well, what a scam.

I got a bad taste in my mouth from eating indian food in Thailand.

And forget about custom 3 piece suites, too.

Gang raping is not my cup of tea, also.

I guess while in LOS, I better to stick to Thai culture.

And don't get me wrong about Indians,

One of my best friends (in Canada) is born in Guyana Indian.

I guess, indians from India, have different attitude.

Enough ranting - peace

I regard Indian shops/restaurants as rip-off places, in Thailand.

Why they are so aggressively greedy, I don't know, but they are.

250 baht for one dish!!!!!!! when I get superb khao ka muu, or laab nuea suk for 40/50 baht,,,

When in Thailand, eat Thai.

Best Indian /Kashmir food I have had the pleasure of eating in Pattaya at a reasonable cost , is called the Tikka Centre on Soi Bua Khao , opposite the entrance to Soi Honey .A good sign for me is there always Indians eating in it.and not just farangs.

Indian food should never cost any more then $1-$2 for the entire feast, if you go to Singapore you can have a Vegetarian Thali for under $5 US thats 150 Bahts, so why would any meal in an Indian Restaurant in Thailand cost upwards of 300 Bahts plus or there about its stupid and crazy, the restaurants are just gauging. The cost to prepare Indian food is as cheap or cheaper then Thai food, so go figure why the exorbitant prices?

Best way to avoid this is to stop patronizing these places, prices will naturally fall if they want to survive.

<center><embed src="http://www.countdownclockcodes.com/cd/ccc-vacation/show.swf?clickURL=http://www.countdownclockcodes.com/vacation-countdown-clocks/&clickLABEL=CountdownClockCodes.com&flashLABEL=CountdownClockCodes.com&skin=http://www.countdownclockcodes.com/cd/ccc-vacation/skins/3.jpg&text=Paradise%20Here%20I%20come%2C%20ready%20or%20not&untilColor=6724095&textColor=0&datesColor=0&year=2017&month=11&day=19&hour=22&minute=21&second=8&x=6&y=77" quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="300" height="200" name="countdown" align="middle" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" /><br><small><a href="http://www.countdownclockcodes.com/vacation-countdown-clocks/">CountdownClockCodes.com</a></small></center>

Try curry house on second road , cheap but good.

Looking at the Menu does not spell cheap, I can eat a meal in San Francisco Indian restaurant cheaper then in Pattaya. If Indian Meal costs anyone $10 or 300 Bahts plus thats bloody rip off and American prices, prices should not be over $2-3 for the entire meal for Non Vegetarian meal in Thailand, food cost is very cheap, these people are just ripping the day lights out of tourists, no wonder most owners can afford to buy up the building the operate from.

<center><embed src="http://www.countdownclockcodes.com/cd/ccc-vacation/show.swf?clickURL=http://www.countdownclockcodes.com/vacation-countdown-clocks/&clickLABEL=CountdownClockCodes.com&flashLABEL=CountdownClockCodes.com&skin=http://www.countdownclockcodes.com/cd/ccc-vacation/skins/3.jpg&text=Paradise%20Here%20I%20come%2C%20ready%20or%20not&untilColor=6724095&textColor=0&datesColor=0&year=2017&month=11&day=19&hour=22&minute=21&second=8&x=6&y=77" quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="300" height="200" name="countdown" align="middle" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" /><br><small><a href="http://www.countdownclockcodes.com/vacation-countdown-clocks/">CountdownClockCodes.com</a></small></center>

I regard Indian shops/restaurants as rip-off places, in Thailand.

Why they are so aggressively greedy, I don't know, but they are.

250 baht for one dish!!!!!!! when I get superb khao ka muu, or laab nuea suk for 40/50 baht,,,

When in Thailand, eat Thai.

Indian food in Thailand is a SCAM this is plain and simple, you can eat a tummy bursting feast for less then $2 US = 60 Bahts in Kuala Lumpur Malaysia at any Indian Restaurant so why these sky high costs in Thailand?

Its supply and demand, tourists, sorry to say this, are Stupid enough to pay these prices so the owners are raping you!

Full Vegetarian Thali in KL is $1 US = 30 Bahts, on Banana Leaf, Malaysia has a higher standard and cost of living then Thailand so why the higher prices in Thailand?

I visited Ali Baba serveral time, its at Central Road, close to beach road. Got even proper Nan, but his may be because of a visiting realtive of the owner.... May follows the hordes of Indian Tourists floating around, they eat only there stuff

the best Indian food i have been having at pats is at "Spice" near royal garden plaza on beach road. a perfect Indian taste though prices are high but i am always there in the evening for a dinner whenever i am at LOS and i am there often say thrice a year for 2 weeks each time.

Best Indian /Kashmir food I have had the pleasure of eating in Pattaya at a reasonable cost , is called the Tikka Centre on Soi Bua Khao , opposite the entrance to Soi Honey .A good sign for me is there always Indians eating in it.and not just farangs.

I concur. It is a small little hole in the wall place but they serve authentic Indian/Pakistani food at very reasonable prices and when I at there the portions were large enough that I had to take home a doggy bag. I really like this place. It's not at all fancy, but good authentic food.

Last time I was there there were some Bengalis ordering dishes that were not on the menu. They then ate their order with their bare hands as many Indians do. Authentic.

It's the 1 only type of food I can't find that I like when visiting pattaya still searching for an Indian that is upto scratch will try a few of the above thanks

Indian By Nature near Jomtien consistently serves high standard food...highly recommended. Their Murgh Madrasi is a standout and I think they deliver take out to most addresses in central Pattaya

I also like the sound of the Tikka Centre opposite Soi Honey on Buakhao...a no thrills establishment is what I've been looking for...I'm dubious about how fresh the ingredients are with the less frequented or more opaque Indian restaurants...and for Indian food freshness matters more than most...thanks for the tip...

Hooray beer!

• 2 weeks later...

Food prices in Malaysia are cheaper than in thailand regardless of the type of food. However the quality of indian food in Kuala Lumpur for example is very poor. In both Bangkok and pattaya e quality of indian food is better. I have been to many european countries where all foods that are foriegn to them are expensive.

This is a worldwide problem. It is not just indian but japanese and italian food can be quite expensive in Pattaya. Remember this place has many tourists so prices will be expensive. Like some people have mentioned some of the best indian food is also the cheapest. The tikka centrecentre main courses start at 100 bt

With due respect people from the uk who eat korma and tikka masala cannot judge authentic indian food coz what they eat is not traditional indian food.

ALi baba has majority indian customers their is a reason for this.

Archived