IGNORED

On Line Vault, A Scam.

2dogs

I would never trust files to the cloud

Access can be a hassle, but Google Drive provides the option for "make available offline" for critical files. That syncs your local copy and the cloud copy. If you get the desktop all, you have a local copy of all files as well. Lastly, Google's storage is redundant, so I wouldn't be concerned with data integrity.

Have you read Google's privacy policy? No I haven't. But their Desire to search and index everything surely does not stop when you load files onto their server, so expect even more targeted advertising to your desktop.

Access can be a hassle, but Google Drive provides the option for "make available offline" for critical files. That syncs your local copy and the cloud copy. If you get the desktop all, you have a local copy of all files as well. Lastly, Google's storage is redundant, so I wouldn't be concerned with data integrity.

What I say is that I wouldn't trust any third party with access to my files.

Online synchronization of contacts with Android through Google is a data protection nightmare as well, that's why I didn't buy an Android phone, although it is now possibly to sync offline.

Have you read Google's privacy policy? No I haven't. But their desire to search and index everything surely does not stop when you load files onto their server, so expect even more targeted advertising to your desktop.

You can't opt out of the targeted advertising it was getting a little creepy when I'd be reading a PA update email and I'd see ads in gmail for flights to Pattaya.

What I say is that I wouldn't trust any third party with access to my files.

Online synchronization of contacts with Android through Google is a data protection nightmare as well, that's why I didn't buy an Android phone, although it is now possibly to sync offline.

Truth is that no system is secure, but this is the direction we are heading. Similar fears were brought up back in the day when online purchases and online banking were first rolled out. Fact of the matter is, if someone really wants to get your info, they'll find a way no matter what platform. I just choose to not live in fear of that, as the percent chance of data theft is on par with getting mugged for your phone/wallet or simply losing them.

Please excuse a non-nerd question but wtf is wrong with an external memory sat on your desk safe and sound and non-threatening??

Just a simpleton with a simple question.

Hi ho

Silver

Please excuse a non-nerd question but wtf is wrong with an external memory sat on your desk safe and sound and non-threatening??

Just a simpleton with a simple question.

Hi ho

Silver

lol. Not a simpleton question at all. With the internet being as ubiquitous as it is, having cloud storage means always having access to your info or backup, no matter where and no matter on what device. With a thumb drive, hard drive or memory card, you need to have it with you and you need to have a compatible device. What if you are on vacation and using a hotel computer? You might not have access to plugging in a USB device or might not have a card reader. What if you want what's on your thumb drive, but all you have with you is a phone or tablet that doesn't have a compatible USB slot? It is like having an invisible cord that is always connected to a remote hard drive (assuming you have internet). For work, I still use a physical drive to back up my server that I then keep safe, but cloud storage mean access anywhere, 24/7. I biggest downside that I can see so far is not having access on most plane flights, as air travel wifi isn't offered on most international flights.

Thanks Little Evil - crystal clear. But allow me one more - wtf is so important and why is it so sensitive ???

Btw - I emailed a copy of my passport to myself to make it 'universally' available foe emergencies - not very secure I know but only o real fool to try to be me.

Hi ho

Silver

Thanks Little Evil - crystal clear. But allow me one more - wtf is so important and why is it so sensitive ???

Btw - I emailed a copy of my passport to myself to make it 'universally' available foe emergencies - not very secure I know but only o real fool to try to be me.

Hi ho

Silver

Emailing yourself a copy of your passport is essentially using email as cloud storage. Is cloud computing important? Yes and no. Depends on how geeky you want to get. Yes, in that it is the general direction of thin-client computing, meaning that in the future, all "personal computers" will be basically monitors that connect to brains and storage in some remote server building. All the heavy lifting and actual storage will be off site, meaning thinner, lighter, smaller, and cheaper personal computers. It also means that your future wafer thin laptop will have the brute force computational power of some remote server. AND, no, it isn't important, in that this will all happen in gradual increments where your notion of a computer and computing won't change overnight. Most people won't understand the difference or even care, as long as their computer work.

Truth is that no system is secure, but this is the direction we are heading. Similar fears were brought up back in the day when online purchases and online banking were first rolled out. Fact of the matter is, if someone really wants to get your info, they'll find a way no matter what platform. I just choose to not live in fear of that, as the percent chance of data theft is on par with getting mugged for your phone/wallet or simply losing them.

Anecdotical information such as credit card infos, my address, etc... why not, I think that risk is bearable.

All my contacts, names, tel numbers, businesses, access passwords, etc.? no way.

Anecdotical information such as credit card infos, my address, etc... why not, I think that risk is bearable.

All my contacts, names, tel numbers, businesses, access passwords, etc.? no way.

I guess I don't understand this fear. If my account was hacked and someone were to erase all my contacts from my Gmail account, I have those contacts in at least three other places (Outlook sync, tablet and phone). The type of hacking skills required to hack Gmail accounts from a company like Google would mean that the people doing it don't care all that much about my contact list or Netflix account. They want to monetize the hack, which means searching for banking info is the real target. People get all paranoid like there is a crack team of eastern block hackers specifically looking for their account info. More often than not, account hacks are brute force hacks on either weak website design or weak username/password combinations. Just don't make your password "password".

Hi again Lttle Evil

You have me treading up geekism further than I normally would go but your responses seem understandable to a non-geek like me - but I need to ask again.

WTF is so precious ?

I would not list my bank details and even if I did they would not be a big enough reward to anyone but a desperate bg down to her last nights rent. I dont think she would know how even if she had such a need.

Hi ho

Silver

There is an inherent danger in "syncing" data with a cloud, a hacker who could access your cloud could then remotely wipe your data from your device(s)

example: http://www.techradar.com/news/computing/apple/apple-reviewing-processes-following-journalists-icloud-hack-1091321

While syncing is convinient I personally don't allow it, when you delete from one you delete from the other that's what syncing means, so backup doesn't exist

I backup by copying my files to a location I specify, when I specify, yes it's more time consuming but it does the job safely and makes sure I don't lose anything

tumblr_mozsz8Bsd61qauzwfo2_250.gifIn honour of Smoakparktumblr_mozsz8Bsd61qauzwfo3_250.gif

Thanks for all this info on this topic. I also did not understand the issue with this system. i do not use any sync systems either except between a couple of local disks I keep on hand for just such things.

For me the "cloud" is only useful for a copy of some data, not THE data. I would never allow my data no matter how trivial, to leave and not keep a protected copy at my desk. If they want to delete it out there, I would just say thanks... better gone anyway.

Vast capacity disks of up to tera bytes are available for pretty small change these days, and even SD storage cards at 64 GB are good for me to use as transfer and travel storage between my big desk unit and the laptop. Between these SD cards and my docs files in my desktop is the only place I allow a sync program to operate as I have control of which way it syncs and also have hands on both copies.

Not sure I would ever get comfortable to transfer my data out onto some media outside my hands on control as an only copy.... ever.

Lesson 1 .... NOTHING is for free !!

I just reported this site (On Line Vault) with on line scam. I will keep reporting it untill this site gets shut down. Tomorrow I will report it to scamwatch in Australia.

Hi again Lttle Evil

You have me treading up geekism further than I normally would go but your responses seem understandable to a non-geek like me - but I need to ask again.

WTF is so precious ?

I would not list my bank details and even if I did they would not be a big enough reward to anyone but a desperate bg down to her last nights rent. I dont think she would know how even if she had such a need.

Hi ho

Silver

Basically, the biggest plus for cloud storage is the ability to get to your info from any device that has internet access. Instead of worrying, "did I remember to bring my hard drive or thumb drive", the only question you have is "can I get internet?". Internet is pretty much everywhere now, so cloud storage means having a virtual hard drive with you at practically all times (less international plane trips, as previously mentioned). Imagine you are a carpenter working on a remote project. You stock your tool kit and go. Once on site, you realize you need your skill saw, but didn't bring it. You're f**ked for the day. Now imagine being able to open a virtual tool kit and grabbing the skill saw that is sitting on the counter back in your shop. All your tools are with you at all times without having to physically bring them. Similar concept with cloud storage, but with files, not tools.

There is an inherent danger in "syncing" data with a cloud, a hacker who could access your cloud could then remotely wipe your data from your device(s)

example: http://www.techradar...ud-hack-1091321

While syncing is convinient I personally don't allow it, when you delete from one you delete from the other that's what syncing means, so backup doesn't exist

I backup by copying my files to a location I specify, when I specify, yes it's more time consuming but it does the job safely and makes sure I don't lose anything

There is danging crossing a street as well, but if you look both ways, you should be safe. Just like crossing a street, no one is "out to get you". Real hackers target masses, not individuals, unless your are some high profile money person. There are rogue petty hackers who mess around with accounts just to be malicious, but those are few and far between. Just make sure you have a strong password and change it twice a year. Also, don't use the same password for everything. You get compromised on one account, you could get compromised on all accounts.

If your account does get hacked, check the trash bin. There is a good chance that the person doing it didn't go through the trouble of permanently erasing everything. Moreover, just export your contacts every quarter. I'd do that even without using cloud syncing for contacts. Google makes an app for PC's that automatically syncs calendar and contacts with the desktop version of Outlook. That is a local copy, and you can set up sync relationships so it is one way.

If you are using "Cloud Computing"...

Encrypt your files...

http://uwnthesis.wor...ndows-explorer/

Cheers...

Most after market Zip utilities have 256 AES encryption capabilities as well. WinZip and 7zip both have it. Windows used to have built-in password capabilities for the stock zip utility, but they took it away since Vista.

Skyedrive from MS. for Hotmail, Live or Outlook.com. first 7gb free unless you were grandfathered. Google is also free. Always encrypt what you put up on any online storage that you don't totally control unless you don't care to have it floating around the internet. (hacks, etc)

I guess I don't understand this fear. If my account was hacked and someone were to erase all my contacts from my Gmail account, I have those contacts in at least three other places (Outlook sync, tablet and phone). The type of hacking skills required to hack Gmail accounts from a company like Google would mean that the people doing it don't care all that much about my contact list or Netflix account. They want to monetize the hack, which means searching for banking info is the real target. People get all paranoid like there is a crack team of eastern block hackers specifically looking for their account info. More often than not, account hacks are brute force hacks on either weak website design or weak username/password combinations. Just don't make your password "password".

My fear is not loosing the data, because I have backups anyway.

No, my fear is identity theft or someone messing up my businesses.

Someone with access to my data could shut me down for quite some time and cause significant losses.

Archived