IGNORED

On Line Vault, A Scam.

2dogs

I was offered file protection and back up by a website called On Line Vault. The offer seemed to be for free. I took the offer and after a few days I was notified that this was a free trial only. The website had taken 375 files from me. When I did not pay for the protection and back up, only 75 files were returned. This website was not supposed to remove any files from me. It was supossed to be an online storage and back up only. It seems they want money to return my files. Do not trust On Line Vault.

A scam on the internet....

What ever next!!!!

Just trying to warn other mongers here. The offer came up on my facebook homepage.

Just trying to warn other mongers here. The offer came up on my facebook homepage.

Yes unfortunately now there is far too much of this sort of crap going on.

Wouldn't hurt to post a link so people know which one to avoid.

Been using dropbox myself which works well but the free size is a bit small at 2Gb? But I think they increase it for referrals and multiple devices etc.

If they're advertising on Facebook, you should probably them know these guys are dodgy.

Work the curse of the drinking classes. - Oscar Wilde

Wouldn't hurt to post a link so people know which one to avoid.

Been using dropbox myself which works well but the free size is a bit small at 2Gb? But I think they increase it for referrals and multiple devices etc.

I was going to say Drop box and good that you mention it already but now i prefer Google drive for online data storage these days.

It's easy to sync Mac, Windows or mobile platform and my spreadsheets & word docs are everywhere, in my phone, tablet, PC or Desktop. Cool.

My wife is a sex object. Every time I ask for sex, she objects..

I was going to say Drop box and good that you mention it already but now i prefer Google drive for online data storage these days.

It's easy to sync Mac, Windows or mobile platform and my spreadsheets & word docs are everywhere, in my phone, tablet, PC or Desktop. Cool.

Google Drive is invaluable, particularly if you have an Android phone or tablet. So easy to back up pictures and files from your phone to the Drive, and upload files from your computer for easy access from your mobile devices. The downside? Google knows everything about me and can pretty much buy and sell my ass. They know my search tendencies, my emails, my calendar, my friends/contacts, my online albums, my shopping, my reading, my music preferences, what I eat, and who I'm calling. If they ever decide to charge money, I'd be forced to oblige. I'm too data-invested in their "free" services to turn back now.

Google Drive is invaluable, particularly if you have an Android phone or tablet. So easy to back up pictures and files from your phone to the Drive, and upload files from your computer for easy access from your mobile devices. The downside? Google knows everything about me and can pretty much buy and sell my ass. They know my search tendencies, my emails, my calendar, my friends/contacts, my online albums, my shopping, my reading, my music preferences, what I eat, and who I'm calling. If they ever decide to charge money, I'd be forced to oblige. I'm too data-invested in their "free" services to turn back now.

You are right about Internet privacy and my question is does we have one? Facebook, google seems masters in collecting user data and time will speak how that can be useful or threat to ourselves regardless i am not given google access to my location and contact number but the way google & other giants are changing their policies it will be tough for us to maintain privacy online.

Still Google Drive seems perfect solution for keeping data online and secure. Google Drive now support iOS too.

My wife is a sex object. Every time I ask for sex, she objects..

Easy, always read the fine print with any free offer.

Not rocket science.

cheers

Easy, always read the fine print with any free offer.

Not rocket science.

cheers

Actually, reading and comprehending a company's User Agreement and Privacy Policy is kind of rocket science, particularly if the company is actively trying to do something shady/underhanded. I've seen software companies use all sorts of vague and misleading language in order to fool the end user into a one sided agreement, and that is assuming that the seer amount of words hasn't already prompted a click-thru from the installer. Most people assume they are seeing a GNU general public license, but they are actually signing their rights away.

wow that sucks! Did the service actually deleted files from your hard drive/ laptop? or are you referring to them not returning the files on their storage back to you?

It's a good idea to only give those type of services "read only" permissions on your hard disk, that way they can't delete or add any junk on your hard disk.

Hope you didn't upload your Bank and financial transaction details :LOL2:

How much space does google drive offer?

5 gigs for free, and then there are paid options starting at $2.50/month USD for 25 gigs. No bandwidth restrictions that I've seen. Also, if you have a gmail account, you can now attach items as big as 10gigs on emails, as long as those items are in your Google Drive.

Pretty simple set of rules here.

If it is an advertised service on any free web site, DO NOT CLICK.

If you need a service, such as online storage, Google is your friend. You will come out with pages of them.

I use A drive. 50 gb storage and its free. But there are tons of them. I try and ignore the left and right panels of any website.

So many scammers out there, it is not even worth the electrons it takes to light up the screen.

The main problem with Google Drive is that it destroys an internet connection when its syncing files. It has no option to limit the upload speed - so it grabs all the upload bandwidth but then even web browsing becomes painfully slow.....not good if you're on a shared connection like a hotel.

Dropbox is much better IMHO and even streams files to your device rather than download/then play

Actually, reading and comprehending a company's User Agreement and Privacy Policy is kind of rocket science, particularly if the company is actively trying to do something shady/underhanded. I've seen software companies use all sorts of vague and misleading language in order to fool the end user into a one sided agreement, and that is assuming that the seer amount of words hasn't already prompted a click-thru from the installer. Most people assume they are seeing a GNU general public license, but they are actually signing their rights away.

Yes, very true and if you cannot understand what the company is telling you then why would you agree to sign up.

Thanks for the warning, are you going to pay to get your files back?

No I will not give them a cent. It was mainly music files that they took.

No I will not give them a cent. It was mainly music files that they took.

wow that sucks! Did the service actually deleted files from your hard drive/ laptop? or are you referring to them not returning the files on their storage back to you?

It's a good idea to only give those type of services "read only" permissions on your hard disk, that way they can't delete or add any junk on your hard disk.

Yes they completely removed the files from my computor. After I did not perchase their product only 75 of 346 files were returned to me.

Yes, very true and if you cannot understand what the company is telling you then why would you agree to sign up.

I don't know about you, but I didn't read the user agreement or privacy policy for Chrome, Firefox, my Gmail account, my Amazon account or my Facebook account (well, I actually read most of Facebook). People have a certain expectation that software companies use boilerplate language that covers standard, non-threatening grounds, similar to a GNU license. Of course your point that people should read and understand this stuff if right, but it is hard to comply when a company is purposely and maliciously writing the terms in order to dupe or flat out swindle the end user. There is also the distinct chance that this company lied on the user agreement. The promise of functioning service that is then not provided is evidence to misleading tactics. It is on the user to not get scammed, but it is on the provider to be ethical. It sounds like this company also is breaking rules with regards to Microsoft GNU in terms of access and OS control.

Thanks for letting us know.

I've been using Dropbox myself just as others stated.

My Youtube Channel about everything Thailand - TravInThailand

I would never trust files to the cloud

Archived