IGNORED

Bring my DSLR or Not?

Little Evil

I am thinking of taking mine this year, interested in the comment above, i Have a nikon d7000 which i think is possibly the best dx size sensor dlsr there is, the only other body ive got is a d70, was going to take the new one, its insured after all but am thinking maybe i out to be a bit more sensible and take the d70? 

You'll get great pictures from either camera, but may have better results from the superior usable ISO range from the d7000. I took half my pictures at night or in dimly lit beer bars last trip. Having great low light performance, coupled with a fast lens saved me from having to use a speedlight. I was able to get more candid shots without having a flash going off for every picture. Also, if I use a speedlight, I also use a bulky diffuser. Having a DSLR with a speedlight and a diffuser is only drawing more attention to you. I also prefer natural lighting whenever possible. You should take the d7000 for the very same reasons you purchased the upgrade in the first place--better pictures. Does your travel insurance cover you over seas?

Its covered on my home insurance, have £10,000 cover away from the home ( worldwide) normally wear a whacking heavy gold chain worth about £7,000. Dont take thats to patts with me so the ten grand would more than cover the lenses and camera, would rather not loose it but if i did it would be covered. the d70 is a great piece of kit for its age but agree with you totally regarding the iso, wont be taking the sb600 as its just too much to be taking and carrying, the onboard speedlight is clearly not up to much, at night will prob keep the 50mm f1.8 prime on there to be honest if i even take it out at night.

If i do would be with a LT not a night mongering

I also have the D7000 plus a D80 ( keep as backup just in case),

speedlight 800

18-200 vr

50 1.8

and the 11-16 Tokina 2.8

and a few older lens which very seldom leave the house

I love the 7000 an its so dam quiet

Haven't used insurance on cameras sine the 80's

I also have the D7000 plus a D80 ( keep as backup just in case),

speedlight 800

18-200 vr

50 1.8

and the 11-16 Tokina 2.8

and a few older lens which very seldom leave the house

I love the 7000 an its so dam quiet

Haven't used insurance on cameras sine the 80's

great set of lenses, love the tokina, so sharp.

We wanderers, ever seeking the lonelier way, begin no day where we have ended another, and no sunrise finds us where left by sunset.

You should definitely bring your DSLR. I've got a d70 as well and love to use it during the day. At night not such a good idea, especially if you drink a lot. Too easy to lose it somewhere. The exception is Loi Krathong, great photos of the girls at night.

• 1 month later...

I bring my 5d every time weather I plan to use it or not.  My carry on bag is a Lowpro with 2 compartments with a slot for my computer.  The lower compartment I put my camera and its gear, the other compartment is for my travel stuff, passports, tickets, etc.  

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

• 3 years later...
  • 5 months later...

I will always bring my DSLR camera with me on holiday. But it can be a pain to carry it around all the time. So I set aside times for Photography and then just leave it in the room while I am not planning on using it. Its amazing the photos you can get from a good camera as opposed to a smartphone.

The women love it too, I had a few fun photo shoots last trip 55

Come see me at Sweet Bar Soi 6 Facebook 

Sweetbarsoi6.png

Archived