IGNORED

Bring my DSLR or Not?

Little Evil

I left my DSLR at home last year for my trip. While I didn't really miss it, there were a few times that I would have liked to have the option to take a few quality pictures. My concern was that I would get mugged for it while walking around. It is a D90 with a battery grip, so it is a medium build camera that makes it kind of conspicuous when walking around with it. I'm on the short side of things, so I could be seen as an easy target. I've walked around downtown San Jose Costa Rica, as well as Saigon and felt reasonably safe, but I've yet to take it to Thailand. Any thoughts on safety?

I always bring my D3000 with me, mostly during daytime,and i bring my "pocket/action" cam while out on the piss.

Regards:Matrix

When the life as you live it goes titts up, can you press Ctrl-alt-delete to remove it or is that only on the internet?

Posted Image

I always bring my D3000 with me, mostly during daytime,and i bring my "pocket/action" cam while out on the piss.

Good to see you posting again

I took my DSLR camera out with me the first time I went to thailand, but to be honest I found it a bit of a pain in the butt carrying around and usually kept it in the safe.

I never felt unsafe in Bkk or Pattaya period, but I was always carefull when it came to keeping my items out of view or locked up for peice of mind.

I brought a Travel Compact the following trip and took a few hundred pix with it, I found it more conveinient. I use a sony HX9v the HX20v replacement model has 20x zoom in a compact camera.

Depends do you want amazing pictures at the expense of carrying it around?

tenor.gif

I have both a DSLR and a compact. I hardly ever use the DSLR... In fact I gave it to my wife. the compact is just so much more convienent and you don't have the hassle of lugging a big camera around all the time.

Trips are all about memories and photos capture those memories... TAKE A CAMERA, but if you have a small one, take it.

I never go anywhere without my nikons.

U never know when they next picture will be

Providing you only take one lens with you each day I never found the size or weight to be a problem I took mine everywhere during my 2 month trip. It was used in the villages in Issan the golf courses in Patts and no hassles. I mostly used a 35 prime or a 35/105 zoom which were both small and light. And now that there are a lot of Russians carrying FF cameras my little APSC one didn't stand out.

Got it. Sounds like walking around with a DSLR is ok then. I honestly couldn't recall if I saw anyone with one the last time I was there, but then again, I was too preoccupied looking at other things....

I am pretty used to always walking around with a similar kit to bobby1961, so that shouldn't be a problem. D90, 35mm prime, and a 15-105 zoom. I was just worried about motorbike snach and grabs, but I guess that's more of a inner-city issue and less of a beach area issue. Thanks all!

Never had a problem, but always be aware that you (depending on the hardware) carry a Thai's months pay or more around. Make sure it's properly insured.

I bring a compact along every time i go out, the DSLR only if i know or expect a party of special events.

Posted Image

Never had a problem, but always be aware that you (depending on the hardware) carry a Thai's months pay or more around. Make sure it's properly insured.

I bring a compact along every time i go out, the DSLR only if i know or expect a party of special events.

That fact doesn't escape me. Same reason why I'd never wear an expensive watch in this country. I don't want to broadcast the expense of anything that I own. Adds temptation for people to do bad things, and seems a little boastful considering the local earnings. Still though, I think people see cameras a little different than just a plain luxury item. It is an expensive item, but I would like to think that jealousy and/or temptations to steal are not the same as, say, a fat wallet or a gold Rolex (not that I have either).

I actually got away with taking a few decent shots with my phone's 5mp camera last year during the day, and in optimal conditions. Nothing artsy, just some passable shots of temples and such. They would have been 10x better if I had better white balance, DOF and ISO control of my DSLR.

I feel Thailand is very safe compared to most countries and you would have to be so unlucky to have it snatched. I would feel far safer walking around Bangkok's dark side Sois at night with an expensive camera around my neck than I would doing the same thing back in London. Plus loads of Thais walk around with DSLRs.

Whether you can be bothered to lump it around is another question.

I think the fact that the companies are all concentrating on releasing smaller and lighter FF and APSC sensor cameras makes it easier for us now. They may not be built for a trip to the rainforests or be used as tools to build a house but they can be carried all day and weigh about the same as an ipad. Add a small 35 or 50 prime and you are all set. I am still new to this game but I know my photos from my camera are so much more dynamic than the ones I get from my phone. And I get pleasure looking back at memories from my trips to LOS and setting up my next one. That fact alone means it is with me all the time.

i wear a gold chain on my wrist an necklace

carry an slr Nikon with my trusty 18-100 vr lens

walk EVERYWHERE in cities and countryside

from Nepal to sri lanka to Cambodia an laos

Spent 18 months cycling in asia with 2 cameras

been thru china.

Never worried or had anything stolen.

I love photography an dwould feel lost wihtout my cameras.

I have carried my cameras in some third world shit holes and never have had a problem. I also make sure I take off the manufacturer neck strap and use a third party strap that goes around my body and has locking connections to the camera. Makes it harder to just snatch it off me. When it is hanging from my side I am able to keep a hand on the body as well which makes it harder to take as well. I keep lens hoods on so if I bump into something the hood takes the hit and no big deal.

'Veni, Vidi, Velcro' - I came, I saw, I stuck around.

When I'm single I like playing the field. You call it picking up hookers. - Jim Norton

Thanks everyone for the feedback. So my question about safety has been answered, and I think I'll bring my camera in Jan. This kind of brought up another question though. What is socially acceptable for Thai people regarding taking pictures? I love street candids--catching people and scenes in their natural state, particularly when in another world South East Asia. If I were to say, start snapping shots of a street vendor making soup for instance, would that person get upset? How about businesses? I'm sure not too many of the bars like cameras. I'm not thinking of brining my into a gogo or anything, but if I were taking night time street shots, are thugs going to pop out of the woodwork to give me a hard time? I'm also guessing a Vegas-style nonspoken rule exists where you don't take pictures of fellow travelers, purposely or incidentally.

I didn't have any problems with people complaining usually it was the opposite they would smile or even pose when they saw you line up a shot. If they didn't do that they would point to the camera to let them see the photo on the screen.

135226_556058097744605_1880593574_o.jpg

156569_474821009201648_2083141271_n.jpg

664558_554008397949575_1449349353_o.jpg

679960_556054427744972_1265084277_o.jpg

I only do street work when I travel now. Why shoot something you can buy on a post card? Thais are really good about it but they have a tendency to want to flash the peace sign and pose when they know you are there. When you are in beer bars you can take pics if you ask. I always ask if they mind and I try and not shoot them posed which drives me insane but I'll do a portrait if they want one and go and get it printed for them. It makes them happy. In gogos its a no go for the most part but you can occasionally get one but make sure you ask for permission first and try and frame it for just those who want it. You may get a pissed off punter or girl if they are in the image. If you take your camera in a gogo make sure you just flash the lens with a cap on it or put it on the seat or on the table in front of you pointed to yourself or the wall. I wandered into Champagne everyday after I walked and did some shooting and the staff were used to me with a camera so it wasn't a big deal but I also made sure it was very apparent I wasn't shooting anything.

Walking St door girls and staff are almost indifferent now to the cameras but occasionally they may shy away from the camera and anyone saying that you owe for an image is hustling you. The only time you pay is the street performers or the ladyboys who pose. I don't shoot the street performers unless they are doing something useful and the ladyboys can be amusing to interact with and have a laugh with your friends when they see the image and think they are beautiful women until you tell them otherwise. They then protest too much that they aren't gay which is fun. For a ladyboy just ask how much they want. I cap it at 100 baht anything more I don't do. The beggars are professionals so I don't shoot them unless at a distance. Some of the bug carts now say if you want a picture you have to pay. I don't mind some nice deep fried bugs so I just buy a bag and take it to the bar and share. I get the picture I want, the girls get a snack, you get the appreciate of the staff when you eat the bugs as well which they find funny.

In all shoot what you want! It's what I do.

'Veni, Vidi, Velcro' - I came, I saw, I stuck around.

When I'm single I like playing the field. You call it picking up hookers. - Jim Norton

Thanks everyone for the feedback. So my question about safety has been answered, and I think I'll bring my camera in Jan. This kind of brought up another question though. What is socially acceptable for Thai people regarding taking pictures? I love street candids--catching people and scenes in their natural state, particularly when in another world South East Asia. If I were to say, start snapping shots of a street vendor making soup for instance, would that person get upset? How about businesses? I'm sure not too many of the bars like cameras. I'm not thinking of brining my into a gogo or anything, but if I were taking night time street shots, are thugs going to pop out of the woodwork to give me a hard time? I'm also guessing a Vegas-style nonspoken rule exists where you don't take pictures of fellow travelers, purposely or incidentally.

I love candid people shots but I think I'm a bit shy / embarrassed taking them and so most of my shots are scenery (or my regular gf - too many shots of her!).

Most Thais do seem to like their photo taken. Go out on a day trip with a group of Thais and its almost should destroying the number of photos they take (or am I being over dramatic?). In terms of night life photos, most times it's okay (and so not like an Amsterdam or anything) but sometimes you have to be a bit careful - I've seen a few times in Soi Cowboy an up herself princess or ladyboy get mad and chase someone that took a photo or video. As you say, obviously gogos are big nonos.

Getting a nice camera and then not taking it places to use for fear of losing it would be a shame, from my point of view.

Getting a nice camera and then not taking it places to use for fear of losing it would be a shame, from my point of view.

The only place I have been a little worried so far has been the Dominican Republic. The resort was fine, but off-resort was a little sketchy. I've been to China, Vietnam, Cambodia, Costa Rica, and a few places in between, and haven't had any issues to date.

• 9 months later...

Try to hold on to your older dslr bodies for places which you are doubtfully off. I use my d60 with a 35mm 1.8, it's very light n compact. Perfect for street n portrait shots, with no need for a separate camera bag except when in the air or transit.

We wanderers, ever seeking the lonelier way, begin no day where we have ended another, and no sunrise finds us where left by sunset.

Great question. I've purchased a DSLR since my last trip to Patts and was wondering the same thing. I have a piss-cam that goes, well, on the the piss with me, but I've often regretted not having a DSLR with a longish lense for people pics and other photo opportunities around town. Based on the responses I'm bringing both with me this trip. I'll be there in 48 hours!

• 2 weeks later...

I am thinking of taking mine this year, interested in the comment above, i Have a nikon d7000 which i think is possibly the best dx size sensor dlsr there is, the only other body ive got is a d70, was going to take the new one, its insured after all but am thinking maybe i out to be a bit more sensible and take the d70? 

Archived