IGNORED

Need help translating written Thai! Please!

C-los

What's up, guys! I have a letter sent from thi rak. She wrote mostly in English except the last part. I need help translating written Thai.

Inspired by Xylanic's post about the subject, i got off my ass and started trying to learn to read and write and correctly pronounce what little thai i've learned so far.I've been learning the Thai alphabet and can read only maybe 30% of it, plus some of her handwriting is not the standard stuff i can easily recognise, such as the printed 'gor gai' and the way she writes it. she won't tell me what it says, which makes me even more curious. So any help would much be appreciated. Thanks in advancePA members!

post-76546-0-56709600-1350132685_thumb.jpg

post-76546-0-77791800-1350132723_thumb.jpg

Im am sitting with a thai at the moment . Basicly the thai script reads that this will be the first and last time she will be writing a letter to you

Not sitting with a Thai, but I can confirm the above poster is correct.

EDIT: Not sure if it makes you feel better, but she's not saying it's just the last time she'll write to you, but the last time she'll write to any man.

Edited by whattheduck

i'm reading her letter again, and the over-all tone of the letter is positive, she thanks me for taking care of her, and she talks about i should take care myself(stop drinking and smoking), grandma wants me to come over for dinner, she's shy to write this, and she loves me etc. etc., ...so now i'm confused :question1: !!! the last sentence she writes is: 'BB today i hope you feel happy because my letter i never do before for someone'

then she tells me (in thai script) it's the first and last time she'll write me/any man?

thoughts?

Give me 10 minutes. I'll have a Thai with me then, though I'm pretty sure I translated accurately.

thanks whattheduck, and iaht.

if i meet you guys in pattaya in december, i owe you guys a beer!

can you write thai script of what she wrote?.

so, first line(excuse my spelling, still trying to get the hang of this):

krang rek thi ?ian (jor jaan, period, mor maa, period?) hai? phu chai lae ja

second line: bpen ch?? rak lae ch?? suda? thai?

third line: thi ja ?ian (jor jann, period, mor maa, period?) hai? phu chai

fourth line: iik......An

then the squiggly line surrounding the thai script starts with a big heart, like a balloon heart on a string, and inside that heart she wrote " before same after also". WTF does that mean?!

Edited by C-los

There are no nines. She's saying ไห which means 'give'. "This is the first and last time she will give a letter to a man." and then presumably her name is Ann and that's what she's signing off with...

Thai girl is here, and she verifies what I'm saying...

I'm not seeing a heart, so can't help with that...

Okay, sorry.

My Thai girl just freaked out and said maybe (she's not totally sure, would need to see the rest of message) she wont write to other guys any more, and only you...

Edited by whattheduck

sorry about the nines, just figured out it was the shorter(?) version of 'ai'

can you spell out the stuff in question marks?

(the heart balloon was just a part of the letter not pictured, it's confusing me!)

yeah, she ended with her name, An.

when i write her i spell it 'Ann' would writing aw ang and two nor nuu's be incorrect and change how you read the name?

thanks for the help :Clap1::Bravo1:

Edited by C-los

Her name: แอน So 'sarah air' 'oh ang' 'noh nuu'

Ann is just the English way to spell it. Taking it literally I would write her name Airn, but yes, the English way is Ann usually.

Here is the entire Thai:

ครั้งแรกที่เขียน จ.ม. ให้ผู้ชายและจะเป็นฉบับแรกและฉบับสุดท้ายที่จะเขียน จ.ม. ให้ผู้ชาย อีก....

I'm guessing you want it for translating, but online translators are really poor. I hope it helps though

Google Translate: Write a letter to the first man and the first will be last, and the men would write a letter to another ....

Bing: First time author,. That man, and will be the first and last burn,. The men again ...

Final tip, จ.ม. is not the full way to write 'letter', it's the shortened version. Just in case you get confused on other translation services.

one last thing, how do you pronounce/what is: 'choh ching' 'boh bai mai' 'boh bai mai'?

thanks again for your help and that tip! "j.m." really threw me off!!

one last thing, how do you pronounce/what is: 'choh ching' 'boh bai mai' 'boh bai mai'?

thanks again for your help and that tip! "j.m." really threw me off!!

If you mean ฉบับ, it's pronounced (something like) cha-bup, it's the classifier for letters

ขออภัยในความไม่สะดวก กูเกิลทรานสเลทไม่สามารถแปลข้อมูลนี้ได้ 

Her name: แอน So 'sarah air' 'oh ang' 'noh nuu'

Ann is just the English way to spell it. Taking it literally I would write her name Airn, but yes, the English way is Ann usually.

First of all 'whattheduck' I applaud you for reading hand-written Thai. This girl doesn't write too badly, but I still have trouble reading hand-written Thai. It took long enough just to get use to many of the different fonts they use and some of those still give me trouble.

Anyway, not sure I agree with what you said about her name. "แ" is like the "a" in "bat" and "อ" should be silent so IMO that's pretty much exactly "Ann" in both languages.

Anyone who cannot cope with mathematics is not fully human. At best he is a tolerable sub-human who has learned to wear shoes, bathe, and not make messes in the house.

Robert Heinlein

i'm reading her letter again, and the over-all tone of the letter is positive, she thanks me for taking care of her, and she talks about i should take care myself(stop drinking and smoking), grandma wants me to come over for dinner, she's shy to write this, and she loves me etc. etc., ...so now i'm confused :question1: !!! the last sentence she writes is: 'BB today i hope you feel happy because my letter i never do before for someone'

then she tells me (in thai script) it's the first and last time she'll write me/any man?

thoughts?

Without really knowing her or her feelings towards you, from the short dialog I see it this way and that is she is saying she wont physically write a letter and mail it she would IMHO prefer the internet or sms

First of all 'whattheduck' I applaud you for reading hand-written Thai. This girl doesn't write too badly, but I still have trouble reading hand-written Thai. It took long enough just to get use to many of the different fonts they use and some of those still give me trouble.

Anyway, not sure I agree with what you said about her name. "แ" is like the "a" in "bat" and "อ" should be silent so IMO that's pretty much exactly "Ann" in both languages.

Thanks! Though I had some help...

Yes, that's what I meant. I just meant literally reading it from the way she wrote it. But I would always pronounce it like Ann :)

Thanks! Though I had some help...

Yes, that's what I meant. I just meant literally reading it from the way she wrote it. But I would always pronounce it like Ann :)

I thought I must have mis-understood, because your grasp of written Thai seems pretty good. Have a good day.

Anyone who cannot cope with mathematics is not fully human. At best he is a tolerable sub-human who has learned to wear shoes, bathe, and not make messes in the house.

Robert Heinlein

Thanks! You learning the language?

ม and บ always confuse me when reading handwritten Thai. It helps to know the words, which is how we read english.

For exmalpe you can raed tihs failry esaliy

ครั้งแรกที่เขียน จ.ม. ให้ผู้ชาย

และจะเป็นฉบับแรกและฉบับสุดท้าย

ที่จะเขียน จ.ม. ให้ผู้ชายอีก

แอน

ครั้งแรก kráng râek the first time

ที่ têe that

เขียน kĭan write

จ.ม. jòt măai letter (abbreviation for จดหมาย)

ให้ hâi for [give]

ผู้ชาย pôo chaai man

และ láe and

จะเป็น jà bpen will be

ฉบับแรก chà-bàp râek first copy

และ láe and

ฉบับสุดท้าย chà-bàp sùt táai last copy

ที่จะ têe jà that will

เขียน kĭan write

จ.ม. jòt măai letter

ให้ hâi for

ผู้ชาย pôo chaai man

อีก èek again [another]

"It's the first time I've written a letter to a man and this will be the first and last one that I'll write to any other man".

- Ann

Interpretation:

- This is the first time I've written a love letter to a man.

- I love you so much that if you break my heart (i.e. if you don't tell me you love me back) then it'll be the ONLY letter (the first & last one) that I'll write to any man.

Now the plug: Learn to Read Thai at www.learnthaionline.com and add a new dimension to your ability to understand and communicate in Thai.

Edited by Rapid Language Learning

Unsure if she is telling you the truth, but the fact she wrote the letter and mentioned grandma is a positive thing if you want it to be.

I just had the Mrs read this and she agrees with;

"It's the first time I've written a letter to a man and this will be the first and last one that I'll write to any other man".

- Ann

As both the words and the meaning/translation

She does not agree with this;

Interpretation:

- This is the first time I've written a love letter to a man.

- I love you so much that if you break my heart (i.e. if you don't tell me you love me back) then it'll be the ONLY letter (the first & last one) that I'll write to any man.

and believes that is conjecture, and feels that only by reading the rest of the letter can you put the end Thai script into any definitive translation other than the literal one.

She does say that it is not bad though, more an indication of intent and feeling.

Firstly, i have no clue what it says as i dont speak or write much thai, but from all the interpretations here, i would suggest that what she's telling you is:

You are the one for her and it's the first, and hopefully last, man she ever write a loveletter to. So it seems you are in for the long haul :GoldenSmile1:

If thats what you want, then all the best for you and the missus from me :hello09:

Its like you found the scared scrolls.

I find not a lot of bar girls have a computer , so the email thing is hard.