IGNORED

Chronic overstayers

hpsauce

[quote (300BHT @ Nov 3 2007, 08:59 AM)

Fuck me, 1 year! If u don't have the money to renew your visa or get back home, what do u do??? Oh and how long can u stay on visa's?

I know a guy who overstayed 1 year then left by crewing for food only on a Dutch sailing boat leaving Phuket. They dropped him off at Southampton UK en route to Holland where he claimed to have lost his passport. Now he wants to go back but worries about the Bangkok Hilton.

• 1 month later...

My adivice would be.well i know pattaya is a lovely place and i know we all want to stay as long as possible, but for f*** sake use your head and when its time to go GO.it can only get worse by staying .Get home get some money together and then come back.i know pattaya can be addictive but it cant be that addictive to get banged up for a year. :P

A friend recently told me about a mutual acquaintance still here in Pattaya whose visa expired about 5 months ago. The guy ran short of money and was unable to renew his visa with all the cost that entails. He now stays here earning and bumming enough to get by, but is now effectively trapped inside Thailand as an illegal alien. He runs the risk daily of being caught. Even if he conveniently loses his passport, the immigration authorities will still have records relating to his old passport. It's good living in Thailand, but I can't imagine being so desperate to stay here that I would go to this extreme. I know there are a few desperate cases in Pattaya, but I wonder how many there are.

Thats hilarious, reminds me of when I bought one of those penis enlargers, for my "Friend"!

• 3 weeks later...

i have a friend down in Phuket who is now going on his 3rd year of overstay, he's not broke by any means but is afraid of many things that most of us take for granted... he won't drive a motorbike or even get on a motorbike taxi, too afraid that a random accident could get him caught finally... he could easily cover the 20k if deported, he's actually quite comfortable money-wise so not sure why he let things come to this, it isn't that damn hard to stay and keep it mostly legit visa-wise if you are willing to do the legwork and can cover the nominal costs (travel in/out, embassy visa's, etc.)... ah well, som'nam-na..!

• 3 weeks later...

I have a mate now 2 months over stay, has a house a baby and GF. No job and possibly very little money.

The going rate for the over stay (I think) is 500 baht a day up to a max of 20k?

But the longer you over stay the more chance of jail and banned from re-entry.

This is his 1st over stay and will be interesting to see what happens. I think he will be whacked with the 20k and let to go on his way. I doubt they will prevent re-entry but the more you do it the more chance of that happening as a persistant offender.

I just wouldn't take the chance personally. Get a visa from Hull or do some visa runs, just laziness not to do it.

Wha's like us?

I know a few people who have overstayed in the UK on student visa's from Thailand! I wonder what will happen to them if they get caught?

Incidently, apart from the 500 a day up to 20k what is the worst they can do?

I have heard of people getting jailed?

But surely the jail would be for long term over stays or repeat offenders?

Edited by Scottish_Tyrant

Wha's like us?

out of curiosity, what happens if you overstay and try to leave the country?

If you are leaving the kingdom and have the funds to pay(500baht per day overstay to a maximum of 20,000baht)you will not be arrested but allowed to leave,you are only locked up by immigration if caught inside the country,you then may have to do some prison time also pay a fine,if you cannot pay the fine you will stay in prison till you can,note if you are from britain your embassy will not pay your fine but only contact family or friends.

"Once you've gone asian you'll never go caucasian"

If you are leaving the kingdom and have the funds to pay(500baht per day overstay to a maximum of 20,000baht)you will not be arrested but allowed to leave,you are only locked up by immigration if caught inside the country,you then may have to do some prison time also pay a fine,if you cannot pay the fine you will stay in prison till you can,note if you are from britain your embassy will not pay your fine but only contact family or friends.

So basically you could in theory, overstay countless times without any fear of jail, providing ur not caught in country?

Wha's like us?

So basically you could in theory, overstay countless times without any fear of jail, providing ur not caught in country?

I would not try it :(

I would not try it :(

Nor would i buddy, one of my mates is about to hit his second extended over stay and 20k. He was warned the last time he could get jailed and refused entry next time ........ but he is saying they cant ........ as I have said NEVER say cant in LOS! Coz no sooner have you said cant and it happens!

Wha's like us?

A friend recently told me about a mutual acquaintance still here in Pattaya whose visa expired about 5 months ago. The guy ran short of money and was unable to renew his visa with all the cost that entails. He now stays here earning and bumming enough to get by, but is now effectively trapped inside Thailand as an illegal alien. He runs the risk daily of being caught. Even if he conveniently loses his passport, the immigration authorities will still have records relating to his old passport. It's good living in Thailand, but I can't imagine being so desperate to stay here that I would go to this extreme. I know there are a few desperate cases in Pattaya, but I wonder how many there are.

Hiya up to about a year ago I was living in thialand(3 yrs) but decided to come back to UK when they clamped down on long-stay "tourist visa's".(once a month trips to Cambodia mass Cambodia visas on most pages of my passport). Anyway I didn't live in Pattay but in a town not too far away and I had a fellow Brit' friend who lived there & had been working as a teacher for the past 14 years! (his passport expired about 12 yrs ago) I felt quite sorry for him because even though Thailand is great he can't easily leave without getting arrested and he is not exactly living the high life on the meagre money he earns (no work permit either).He says the only reason he stays is his 14 year old daughter(half english half thai)she is a nice kid but his thai partner is a total nightmare!!!. anyway he's still there ..............

Minor overstays are not so bad (If your departing the country) IE.. at the airport with ticket in hand..Your usually fined on the spot and allowed to leave..Its when you have trouble that its a problem..Accident--anything to put you in the hospital--Caught by the Police for offenses other then passport violations..Always looking over your shoulder..Any time your passport is asked to be shown by law enforcement your screwed and in most cases Jailed if its blatant..

No place on the Planet like Pattaya..Don't let your meat loaf

Nor would i buddy, one of my mates is about to hit his second extended over stay and 20k. He was warned the last time he could get jailed and refused entry next time ........ but he is saying they cant ........ as I have said NEVER say cant in LOS! Coz no sooner have you said cant and it happens!

Read Gors website about prison life in Thailand.

20 farang a month on average jailed for petty theft, traffic offences and visa issues. IF senetenced minimum is 6 months whcih is usually rediced to 3 immediately.

Currently 20,000 farang in Thai prisons and only 10% of them for serious crimes!!

Advertise on Pattaya Addicts. Send me a PM for more info'

Please consider a donation to the forum!

Read Gors website about prison life in Thailand.

20 farang a month on average jailed for petty theft, traffic offences and visa issues. IF senetenced minimum is 6 months whcih is usually rediced to 3 immediately.

Currently 20,000 farang in Thai prisons and only 10% of them for serious crimes!!

Now thats scary, so in other words they will basically put you in jail for any minor thing.....fuck that!!

ive got a good friend in patts who is just coming up to a year overstay, feel sorry for him to be honest, he is working but after he's paid his room, food and lived he hasnt got a pot to piss in.

Without a family a rich man is very poor