Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Asus Eee PcSeries netbook- help

Encora

I have an Asus Eee PcSeries netbook, configured with Ubuntu, and minimal software, browser etc. No HD, small intenal SS memory.

I lost the password.

My friend, who sold it to me and installed it, has since died. I want to pass it on to a new friend, but need to make it operational again.

Best option seems re-formatting the HD (nothing of value installed), re-installing the OS system, then some software. She will only use it for browsing teh web, picking up mail and facebook, and looking at pictures and video clips.

She is bright, but maybe Ubuntu is unfamiliar, and a functional small size Windows OS better.

What OS do I use?

Who can do this for me?

Anyone with the skills here, or any recommendations for a techie at TukCom to help me?

Thanks !

Hi,

I have a pc 900 series running XP with no probs ,(15 gb spindle Hdd )

I am happy to bring an XP set up disc with usable key with me ,but i don't arrive in patts until 12th OCT.

Let me know if any use to you

I have an Asus Eee PcSeries netbook, configured with Ubuntu, and minimal software, browser etc. No HD, small intenal SS memory.

I lost the password.

My friend, who sold it to me and installed it, has since died. I want to pass it on to a new friend, but need to make it operational again.

She is bright, but maybe Ubuntu is unfamiliar, and a functional small size Windows OS better.

Making it operational again as is would be fairly easy. Create a bootable USB ubuntu flash disk, and boot off that. You could then use that to reset the password and gain access to the current config.

As for ubuntu to windows, also consider this means going from hardly any viruses to lots of viruses too.

Windows 7 basic with Google chrome browser will work just perfect, if you can upgrade it's RAM if possible.

My wife is a sex object. Every time I ask for sex, she objects..

• 2 months later...

Why not just go for Win8? It's quite cheap and requires less juice from the computer.

And yes, get chrome with it :)

Paste countdown timer here

I had the Asus eee 900 circa 2008. It came with Linux and had a 4gb ssd and a 16gb ssd. The OS was installed on the smaller disk. The 16gb ssd was quite slow. I managed to get hold of a cheap copy of Windows XP. The full installation would have taken up too much of the smaller drive, so I downloaded Nlite, and managed to get XP down to about 1gb, from memory. I removed everything but the basic system, doing away with all the Help files, languages, keyboards, sleep mode etc. There are guides on line. It worked very well. I passed it on to my youngest grandchild years ago. I remember it was quite fast, with all the streamlining I carried out. It is still going strong today, and is perfect for web browsing, emails, Facebook etc. Ssd's work well with lots of spare capacity apparently.

The Nlite download is still available as Freeware. Some have even used it on W7 apparently. The ISO file needs to be burnt as an Image. Free software for Nero lookalikes is also available on line.