IGNORED

Jolly Friar waitress misunderstanding

meatpuppet2

Isn't this taken from a Fawlty Towers episode...:P

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't help thinking that you should change your name to 'PeatMuppet'.

You didn't order the bread but you didn't send it back, you ate it, so you pay for it.

Can you explain where the "scam" is in this crap?

Can you explain where the scam is by adding 5 baht or 10 baht onto a 200baht bill. Me neither, just nickle and diming plain and simple.

Think most BM's are saying no scam but mistake, no one else is saying they have had a similar problem there,, Have Eaten out in Pattaya thousands of times and seen hundreds of mistakes with peoples orders, while i am sure scamming does occur most are just mistakes due to language, girls in restaurants don't have great English skills and for the wages on offer you are never going to get great staff, if they are good they can move on to better paid jobs,

If you talk to people who own or manage businesses they will tell you it is one of their biggest headaches, getting and retaining staff, misunderstanding the customer's request being a real problem, Thai's don't like to ask you to repeat if they don't understand they do what they think you said. While this is far from what you might expect, this is Thailand not Europe or America.

But at the end of the day it's up to you, if you think the girl was trying one on you, you were thr one on the seen . .

Can you explain where the scam is by adding 5 baht or 10 baht onto a 200baht bill. Me neither, just nickle and diming plain and simple.

What nickle and diming???!!!! By your own account the waitress mistook the words "two bins" for "two bread". Jesus H Christ in a moon crater!

Is it nickel and diming to expect you to pay for what you ate? next time I go into 7/11 I'm going to grab a water and walk out. if they ask me to pay I'll say "don't nickel and dime me! It's only 6 baht!"

(We need a bit of balance on this thread! Where is Chuck Wow to tell us this a typical Thai scam???)

And the price of the bread was......?

Never mind the price of the bread-it must be a sad day for a guy when a report has to be posted about a triviality like this-TIT go with it or stay home :Think1:

What nickle and diming???!!!! By your own account the waitress mistook the words "two bins" for "two bread". Jesus H Christ in a moon crater!

Is it nickel and diming to expect you to pay for what you ate? next time I go into 7/11 I'm going to grab a water and walk out. if they ask me to pay I'll say "don't nickel and dime me! It's only 6 baht!"

(We need a bit of balance on this thread! Where is Chcuck Wow to tell us this a typical Thai scam???)

Never mind the price of the bread-it must be a sad day for a guy when a report has to be posted about a triviality like this-TIT go with it or stay home :Think1:

Opinions are like assholes as they say.

Opinions are like assholes as they say.

Take a look in the mirror and what do you see :Think1:

:Finger5: :Finger5: :Finger5:

(We need a bit of balance on this thread! Where is Chcuck Wow to tell us this a typical Thai scam???)

yeah. not one of my fellow canucks finest hours here! :rolleyes:

Canucks are cool!

Cnuts are usually not. :hello09:

Yea must be.....and the central part of the story...the 2 check bins was because???

Yes, I posted a reasonable explanation as to why a Thai speaker may have confused 2 pieces with 2 bins - about the only post of mine you ignored...

I think we all know who is at fault in this matter and it ain't the restaurant

Perhaps your reading comprehension is not up to snuff. As I said it's not about the money or is this going to turn into another "the owner is a brit so it can't possibly be his fault" thread?

If it is so important to you then you are free to go and look on their menu and see what they charge for a slice of bread.

Based on some other comments here I think their ability to hire competent staff is in question at a minimum. Or perhaps they doesn't pay them enough so turnover is high and service is poor and they have that little extra incentive to pull these stunts? Perhaps the owner is in on it? It wouldn't be the first time someone in Pattaya tried to nickle and dime their customers.

lets get this into some perspective pal

you make a moany post on an open board then when people offer their opinion you talk like an ejit, you slag off the owner, you slag off people that post, you slag off the employees and oh the woes of finding good staff in thailand

and you go to these lengths for 15 baht?

you're a numpty pal. i'm in pattaya soon and will be back and forth too, next time we're in town together let me know and i'll drop 30 baht in a plastic cup for you...its obvioulsly bothered you enough to act as you have

ffs 30 baht

yeah. not one of my fellow canucks finest hours here! :rolleyes:

From Quebec perhaps?

"what is zis bread wiz zis fish and pomme Frits"

First of all i want to say the fish and chips were good. No complaints there and reasonable pricing although I wasn't crazy about the tartar sauce. Could have been just me. Usually I like it a bit more tart which could simply be fixed by adding more relish but what do I know.

We asked for separate bills ("2 bin please") when we ordered which is something my buddy typically does when we eat out. I personally don't care either way but he likes it separate. Anyways it's never a problem and they always understand what we are asking for.

We got a slice of bread and butter each before our meal which we didn't order. Butter was cold so not spreadable but whatever not a big deal and we didn't expect it in the first place. We figured it was just something that came with the fish and chips. Seemed a bit odd but I don't eat fish and chips regularly so what do I know.

First the waitress brings us the wrong bill. Actually she brought us change for someone elses bill. Don't know how you can make that mistake when there are only 3 tables of customers in the place and only 1 table has paid. There were probably more staff than customers. Not a big deal not a problem and we laughed it off. This is Thailand and all that.

The we get our bill. Only 1 bill and we are charged for 2 bread. Wtf? "We want 2 bin please and we didn't order the bread". So waitress goes away and comes back with other waitress who originally took our order which seemed to be the most senior one there and also the best english. They still had the 1 bin and she starts saying "you want 2 bin so we give you 2 bin". Now things are getting a bit heated. I figured it was a simple misunderstanding and she thought we wanted "2 bread". My buddy wasn't happy about it and figured it was yet another Thai scam where they try nickle and dime you and then act stupid about it when you question them. He lives here and says it happens all the time and he has no tolerance for it anymore.

I am only here for a short while, didn't want to make a big deal about it, figured it was a simple miscommunication with the translation and that she though we ordered 2 bread. It wasn't much money so I just wanted to pay it and leave without making a scene. For my buddy it wasn't about the money either but the principle of it. Anyways, it didn't end well and I suspect it will be a cold day in hell before my buddy steps foot in there again. He will most likely be badmouthing the place to all his expat friends. I asked another buddy who speaks near fluent Thai and has lived here a long time and he has never heard of Thais mistaking people asking for "bin" or "2 bin" or whatever for someone asking for "bread". So now I am starting to wonder.

So what are peoples thoughts? Were they trying to nickle and dime us or was it a simple misunderstanding? Trying to give them the benefit of the doubt here.

This is a funny read guys, considering your main goal was to get Fish and Chips and they were "Good" by your own admission should mitigate us not wanting the establishment closed. Now I do see that the Tartar sauce was not as Tart as one would like but even the most brutal food critic may find it hard to justify a three paragraph review based on that. Now the bread! Yes this could be your justification for the Jolly Frier to be blacklisted, burnt to the ground and the staff beaten to death, no wait!!!!.... You have eaten the fucking bread guys...... Now even your 2 bin, 1 bin argument fucks off into obscurity, your best bet is stick to street food, they never offer bread. Fucking funny through, thanks guys.

From Quebec perhaps?

"what is zis bread wiz zis fish and pomme Frits"

yeah,i was kind of thinking that myself. Quebeckers are kind of an embarrassment to the rest of the country.

lets get this into some perspective pal

you make a moany post on an open board then when people offer their opinion you talk like an ejit, you slag off the owner, you slag off people that post, you slag off the employees and oh the woes of finding good staff in thailand

and you go to these lengths for 15 baht?

you're a numpty pal. i'm in pattaya soon and will be back and forth too, next time we're in town together let me know and i'll drop 30 baht in a plastic cup for you...its obvioulsly bothered you enough to act as you have

ffs 30 baht

Thanks for the great advice. Based on your opinion and those of the other commonwealth critters here I've concluded that it's just another badly managed Brit owned restaurant that is going downhill and will spread the word that this place should be avoid. I don't think there was anything intentional going on but the poor service which is also discussed by other people in the other thread is reason enough to avoid this place.

I was actually trying to be nice when I said I liked the fish and chips. I have no such Desire to do that any more. I found the fish to be somewhat greasy and mushy so will consider some other place such as the pig and whistle. Once again, the owner has all of you to thank for that.

I'll bet if the price of beer went up by 5baht at your favorite watering holes you guys would all be screaming bloody murder and calling it a rip off.

Anyways thanks for all the great advice. You have all motivated me to tell all my expat friends to avoid this place whereas before I was just asking a question out of curiosity and was willing to let it slide. So the owner of this place should give each and everyone of you thanks for the help.

Thanks for the great advice. Based on your opinion and those of the other commonwealth critters here I've concluded that it's just another badly managed Brit owned restaurant that is going downhill and will spread the word that this place should be avoid. I don't think there was anything intentional going on but the poor service which is also discussed by other people in the other thread is reason enough to avoid this place.

I was actually trying to be nice when I said I liked the fish and chips. I have no such desire to do that any more. I found the fish to be somewhat greasy and mushy so will consider some other place such as the pig and whistle. Once again, the owner has all of you to thank for that.

I'll bet if the price of beer went up by 5baht at your favorite watering holes you guys would all be screaming bloody murder and calling it a rip off.

Anyways thanks for all the great advice. You have all motivated me to tell all my expat friends to avoid this place whereas before I was just asking a question out of curiosity and was willing to let it slide. So the owner of this place should give each and everyone of you thanks for the help.

Jolly Friar is owned by a guy who owns many successful businesses in Pattaya and indeed all over the world. Whilst I am sure he would be the first to agree that he cant get it right all the time I think your assumption about him is well off the mark.

I doub't he, or any others, will be unduly upset by your silly little threat to "tell my mates". Jeez talk about making a mountain out of a molehill.

Advertise on Pattaya Addicts. Send me a PM for more info'

Please consider a donation to the forum!

Archived