IGNORED

Muay Thai/Fitness in Pattaya!

Fester

Hi all,

I'm looking for some upto date info on training camp around Pattaya, for beginner level.

I was looking in spending 5 week in Pattaya sometime around Oct/Nov. After the first week of partying and shagging I was planning on doing a bit of Muay Thai training.

I've got no boxing or kick boxing experience but I'm reasonably fit. And was thinking it would be a good experience and a chance to loose a few pounds. Not really wanting a fight out of it, just a chance to learn some skills and improve fitness levels.

If anyone has any recommendation of a good training camp for beginners I apprieate the help.

Have you tried google? If not PM roidfreak, I'm sure he can point you in the right direction.

If you get stuck go get the insanity workout DVDs and you can do them in your hotel room. Guaranteed workout to rival a gym session.

I did have a look on google but most the info is dated.

Thinks Roidfreaks banned the last I heard.

Any recommendations on work out DVDs, I heard Kerry Katonas new ones good!!

Banned really hmm ok.

Kerry Katona? Try insanity and you will love it. The same company beach body also do P90x but you don't need any equipment for insanity.

Tonys gym in south pattaya, 3rd road i belive, they have a Muay Thai and weights gym close together

Not sure of the price, i think around 200 bhat per session

Look on the internet and you will see tonys on it, you can email them to confirm prices and location etc

good lucky

dirty

sityodtong is one the best camps in the whole of thailand, kru yodtong is highly respected in the world of muay and in pattaya..this place is technically the best gym, with some of the most famous thai boxers, because of this there are a lot of foreigners there though...if you go ask for kru toy (say like 2EE ) he's kru yodtongs son and will look after you, you will be expected to act respectfully at this camp though, its on the other side of sukhumvit near soi country club area

sitpohlek is a good and is well known, they've produced some top stadium fighters and local champs, they have one of the most famous boxers at the gym in changpuek kiatsongrit, this man is a legend and the original buakaw, he travelled in the 80s/90s and demolished many opponents..he lost a few but was fighting top fighters at 90kilo weighing only 70 odd kilo, he may have been the inspiration for the movie kickboxer as before the movie was made he fought a world champion kickboxer from the USA rick roufous, the american came from good pedigree and had also been a pro boxer, changpuek broke both of roufous's legs, where as tong po breaks kurt sloans back in the movie, the gym is run by a dutchman frank, frank is really nice and will look after you, he will see that you learn from the money you pay, other Gyms will just want to make you quit as quick as possible after paying your money, sitpohlek is on sukhumvit road on the left side(toward bkk) between pattaya klang and naklua

here's changpuek...legend

and here he is against roufous http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xtbbnAr55o

kombat is over the otherside of sukumvit on a side street of soi kao talo and is run by christian a local italian fighter, christian was the first italian to fight and win at the stadiums in bkk, he's a nice guy and speaks good english but he's expensive compared to other Gyms

there are loads of other Gyms around pattaya, there's another 2-3 that are good that i haven't mentioned but there's also a lot of average Gyms with poor technique or lazy trainers..a lot of Gyms will try to get you to pre pay and then beast you the first sesion to mkae you quit and keep your money...even if you survive the beasting this training is crap as you will be too tired to learn proper technique...the Gyms i've mentioned will definately look after you and are well known locally

all the best

Go to Soi 6, fuck one of the very big and frightening ladyboys down there for the exercise, then refuse to pay afterwards for the Muay Thai training session :GoldenSmile1:

Go to soi 6, fuck one of the very big and frightening ladyboys down there for the exercise, then refuse to pay afterwards for the muay thai training session :GoldenSmile1:

Haha I pass on that thanks. Some of those LB and built like a brick shit house.

sityodtong is one the best camps in the whole of thailand, kru yodtong is highly respected in the world of muay and in pattaya..this place is technically the best gym, with some of the most famous thai boxers, because of this there are a lot of foreigners there though...if you go ask for kru toy (say like 2EE ) he's kru yodtongs son and will look after you, you will be expected to act respectfully at this camp though, its on the other side of sukhumvit near soi country club area

sitpohlek is a good and is well known, they've produced some top stadium fighters and local champs, they have one of the most famous boxers at the gym in changpuek kiatsongrit, this man is a legend and the original buakaw, he travelled in the 80s/90s and demolished many opponents..he lost a few but was fighting top fighters at 90kilo weighing only 70 odd kilo, he may have been the inspiration for the movie kickboxer as before the movie was made he fought a world champion kickboxer from the USA rick roufous, the american came from good pedigree and had also been a pro boxer, changpuek broke both of roufous's legs, where as tong po breaks kurt sloans back in the movie, the gym is run by a dutchman frank, frank is really nice and will look after you, he will see that you learn from the money you pay, other gyms will just want to make you quit as quick as possible after paying your money, sitpohlek is on sukhumvit road on the left side(toward bkk) between pattaya klang and naklua

and here he is against roufous http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xtbbnAr55o

kombat is over the otherside of sukumvit on a side street of soi kao talo and is run by christian a local italian fighter, christian was the first italian to fight and win at the stadiums in bkk, he's a nice guy and speaks good english but he's expensive compared to other gyms

there are loads of other gyms around pattaya, there's another 2-3 that are good that i haven't mentioned but there's also a lot of average gyms with poor technique or lazy trainers..a lot of gyms will try to get you to pre pay and then beast you the first sesion to mkae you quit and keep your money...even if you survive the beasting this training is crap as you will be too tired to learn proper technique...the gyms i've mentioned will definately look after you and are well known locally

all the best

Thanks a lot for you input mate, seems you no what your talking about. Which camp would you say is best for a beginner??

Thanks in advance.

I think they'd all do well for a beginner..it depends how far you want to travel mate.

Whichever camp you decide on if you speak to the boss(kru toy-sityodtong/frank-sitpohlek/christian-Kombat) they will look after you. Kombat and sitpohlek should be less busy than sityodtong so you may get more time learning technique with an instructor at those camps(typical session will warm up, run, skip, bounce on tyres, then you'll learn some technique, do some shadow boxing with the technique, hit the pads with a pad holder then hit the bag with what you've learned...you'll probably get 15-30 minutes with an instructor and then they will check on you during the session when you practice)

If you opt for a private lesson then you will get more time with your instructor learning technique...I'd proabbly go to sityodtong for a private lesson

Whichever camp you go to, pay by the day to start with, however If you book a session and don't turn up then you should really still pay for the session as it's been booked and some of the instructors have multiple jobs so will make time for boxing if booked in

All the best

Thanks again mate. Will do a little research and hopefully start planning my trip.

Another option is Fairtex - a bit upscale for a Muay Thai camp but is a good place to train. They have a website.

Here is one of the fighters training there:

fairtex is a good camp but you get the tourist version in pattaya, it's probably the most expensive camp you could train at..the real training camp and stable of fighters for fairtex are in bangkok , bangkapi

• 2 weeks later...

Go to soi 6, fuck one of the very big and frightening ladyboys down there for the exercise, then refuse to pay afterwards for the muay thai training session :GoldenSmile1:

Haha, that really made me LOL

sitpohlek is a good and is well known, they've produced some top stadium fighters and local champs, they have one of the most famous boxers at the gym in changpuek kiatsongrit, this man is a legend and the original buakaw, he travelled in the 80s/90s and demolished many opponents..he lost a few but was fighting top fighters at 90kilo weighing only 70 odd kilo, he may have been the inspiration for the movie kickboxer as before the movie was made he fought a world champion kickboxer from the USA rick roufous, the american came from good pedigree and had also been a pro boxer, changpuek broke both of roufous's legs, where as tong po breaks kurt sloans back in the movie, the gym is run by a dutchman frank, frank is really nice and will look after you, he will see that you learn from the money you pay, other gyms will just want to make you quit as quick as possible after paying your money, sitpohlek is on sukhumvit road on the left side(toward bkk) between pattaya klang and naklua

and here he is against roufous

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xtbbnAr55o

kombat is over the otherside of sukumvit on a side street of soi kao talo and is run by christian a local italian fighter, christian was the first italian to fight and win at the stadiums in bkk, he's a nice guy and speaks good english but he's expensive compared to other gyms

there are loads of other gyms around pattaya, there's another 2-3 that are good that i haven't mentioned but there's also a lot of average gyms with poor technique or lazy trainers..a lot of gyms will try to get you to pre pay and then beast you the first sesion to mkae you quit and keep your money...even if you survive the beasting this training is crap as you will be too tired to learn proper technique...the gyms i've mentioned will definately look after you and are well known locally

all the best

Thank you for the informative reply, I will look into it, and see about training there in the future. I'd love to train oversea's with them, I assume the training is intense, and a lot better than here in america.

• 4 weeks later...

onemanwolfpack

i will be coming back over for my second trip for 5 weeks as well Oct/Nov give us a PM and i will meet up if you want, i am mostly into the gym but have previously done mma training and BJJ and lesser extent Muay Thai but was looking to train some more with regards this

MaiKow seems to give some excellent advice here so if you need someone to tag along give us a shout

fairtex is a good camp but you get the tourist version in pattaya, it's probably the most expensive camp you could train at..the real training camp and stable of fighters for fairtex are in bangkok , bangkapi

This guy knows what he is talking about ,

Look at the Fairtex video above - total tourist attraction.

fairtex gets a bit of a bad rap for being a tourist trap.. and i agree it can be but, it doesnt take much to get past the touristy BS and get into some serious training there.. whenever im in patts i always train at fairtex and its excellent!!! but i'll give it to MaiKowJai80 because sityodtong (although out in the middle of nowhere) is more of a real Muay Thai gym where you'll get the real Muay Thai experience!!.

IMO both are worth checking out!

Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women

fairtex gets a bit of a bad rap for being a tourist trap.. and i agree it can be but, it doesnt take much to get past the touristy BS and get into some serious training there.. whenever im in patts i always train at fairtex and its excellent!!! but i'll give it to MaiKowJai80 because sityodtong (although out in the middle of nowhere) is more of a real muay thai gym where you'll get the real muay thai experience!!.

IMO both are worth checking out!

I've tried fairtex and it was fine for me however their pricing is a piss take.

How far would you consider sityodtong is, say from LK metro/second Rd in travel time?

Great thread, I was planning to do Muay Thai during the day for a lot of my Thailand travels and I think I will def check this place out! Thanks for all the info Mai

• 2 months later...

as a total beginner i think i will be going to start training in januari for 8 weeks in pattaya.

just as a new experience and not to be chasing girls all the time.

but i still hope to get some serious training and to learn some proper things.

mostly because of what i've read here and because the owner speaks the same language as me, i think i'm going for sitpholek.

although i'll check a few others out in the beginning as well, just to be sure and look what fits me best.

more info always welcome...

i'll let everybody know how it went after.

i have heard that many good coaches left sityodtong. sithpolek is a small and cheap but good gym, especially if you like to train with other foreigners and want to fight one day, since the owner is a promoter as well. but anyway, things change pretty fast and your best bet would be to get a motorbike for a day and just check out all the camps by yourself. http://www.muaythailand.com/ will give you a good overview!

• 2 weeks later...

i have heard that many good coaches left sityodtong. sithpolek is a small and cheap but good gym, especially if you like to train with other foreigners and want to fight one day, since the owner is a promoter as well. but anyway, things change pretty fast and your best bet would be to get a motorbike for a day and just check out all the camps by yourself. http://www.muaythailand.com/ will give you a good overview!

yes i was planing on visiting them all.

heard the same things about sitpholek. that's why for now, i looks the best for me.

thanks for your input.

Archived