Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

4 weeks in Samui. Is it too long?

diamondgeezer8671

I have just booked my room, for four weeks on Samui. I love things like snorkeling and wanna avoid the madness and business of Pattaya and am not a hardcore monger.

Does anyone think its too long? I have been told i will get bored after 3-5 days. Opinions appreciated.

Went to Koh Samui for the first time in April and 3 nights was more than enough for us.

If I were spending a month I would divide my time between 4 places: On Koh Samui I would stay at Lamai Beach and Chaweng Beach. As well as Koh Phangan and Koh Tao which are only a ferry ride away.

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

This is why I never book accommodation ahead except for the first 2-3 nights, maybe 1 week at the longest. Samui is a nice island and there's no reason why you shouldn't enjoy 4 weeks there, but if you did get bored there are many other places within a few hours - Krabi, Phuket, Lanta, PP Islands. But by booking (and paying accommodation in advance one's locked in)

Mate as I mentioned on the other thread. I've been 2 times now both times with my thai gf/then wife.

My newbie german mate Karl i met in Soi 15 last Xmas, spend a few nights with him at all my favourite places and he had a blast. Then he went to Samui for 4 days, the weather was shit and he hated it. Was gunna do Chiang Mai but I convinced him on such a short trip to spend the balance in Pattaya/BKK for NYE.

Spend a few days in Samui, then fly from there to Utapao with BKK air.

I've been a diver for 30 years and snorkelling around Samui is poor. If you want good snorkelling the trips out of Phuket or Krabi to Phi Phi Islands is what you want. And again you can fly from Phuket to Utapao also.

Fly to BKK, spend a week in Pattaya/Jomtien, fly to Samui 3-4days, fly to Phuket (a week), fly back to Pattaya for the final week then a few nights in Bangkok......perfect month.....

Really depends on what type of holiday you want, if sitting around nice beaches, knocking back a few beers, going out on dive/snorkel trips, doing a little island hopping and basically taking it easy is your thing then 4 weeks won't be enough. I spent 6 months there, although it was over 10 years ago, and loved the place.

If you want to monger you can just the places to monger at are limited compared to Pattaya but as you said you are not a hard core monger.

Some people only go to one place and stick to it when they travel whilst others bounce from place to place trying to see more, both have their advantages and disadvantages you just need to weigh up what you value/need most out of this holiday.

Thanks stevxpl. yeah, i will be happy doing the things you have mentioned. Of course i want to monger!! :GoldenSmile1: It doesn't have to be anything like Patts, that's overload for me, too many indians and russians for my liking nowadays, apparently there is something like 100 bars in Lamai alone, more than enough for me, i am easily content, i can't wait!

Love Patts but i want a more serene and relaxing holiday this time, i went to Ko Chang for two weeks before and loved it and Samui has an awful lot more bars and girls than Ko Chang did when i went there in 2003.

I checked out Chaweng and Lamai on youtube last night and there seems to be plenty of bars, alot more life than i thought, looks great and i am sure i will have an absolute blast!

I'm going to do day trips to Ko Tao and Phanagan and alot of snorkelling and deffo hiring a scooter. Not gonna have a different girl every day like i do in Patts, gonna just find a few good ones.

when you are landing

4th september. Why do you ask?

Samui is heaven on earth, can't wait to get back and if I had time to spend a month there I would.

Big Brother is watching you. - George Orwell
Live, travel, adventure, bless, and don't be sorry. - Jack Kerouac
Find what you love and let it kill you. - Charles Bukowski 
Two things awe me most, the starry sky above me and the moral law within me. - Immanuel Kant
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance. - Confucius 
I wish I could show you when you are alone or in darkness the astonishing light of your own being. - Hafiz of Shiraz
You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star. - Friedrich Nietzsche 
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. - Voltaire 
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all. - Oscar Wilde
The general public doesn't know what's happening, and it doesn't even know that it doesn't know. - Noam Chomsky
What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence. - Christopher Hitchens 

"Up to me" since 2005

Samui is heaven on earth, can't wait to get back and if I had time to spend a month there I would.

Great to hear that! :GoldenSmile1:

september is the best month to spend on samui. I used to live there and been there through all the months, sept is best by far. It's low season so not packed out and prices come down a bit, weather is great, not too hot, can get a bit of rain, especially towards the end of sept but not that much, the heavy rains come in later, so you'll have sunny days, not too hot, maybe a bit of rain at night. you'll have a great time there in sept.

september is the best month to spend on samui. I used to live there and been there through all the months, sept is best by far. It's low season so not packed out and prices come down a bit, weather is great, not too hot, can get a bit of rain, especially towards the end of sept but not that much, the heavy rains come in later, so you'll have sunny days, not too hot, maybe a bit of rain at night. you'll have a great time there in sept.

Thanks for telling me that, will there been a good selection of ladies then do you think?

Also, are there any big spiders (tarantulas) on the island? I am gonna do some Jungle expeditions, i love creepy crawlies!

haven't been there for a couple years now but I reckon you can always find a pretty good selection of gals at both Chaweng and Lamai, plus a few other spots as well, but they're the 2 main action places. plenty of bars about, just sit down and have a brew and get chatting to a gal and take it from there. I used to pick up gals at the beach, they weren't really FLs or hos but just regular Thai gals that liked the idea of spending some time on a beautiful tropical island, used to chat them up and buy them dinner and take them to a club or pub and usually end up in bed.

Sounds like a plan pubstud, seems you live up to your name :wink:

Have you any ideas how long it takes to get around the whole island on a scooter?

You'll have a great time, there are more than enough girls/bars.......

Lamai beach would be my recomendation....

As said earlier, it's best to book just a couple of nights then, move hotels if only to the other

end of the beach...... or to another beach....(change of scenery/girls).......

Enjoy.............

Am staying at Royal Cottage Residence in Lamai. all the reviews say its awesome.I'm certain i will be very happy there.

Has anyone any ideas about a good budget for Samui? Would it be the same as for Patts do you think?

Am staying at Royal Cottage Residence in Lamai. all the reviews say its awesome.I'm certain i will be very happy there.

Has anyone any ideas about a good budget for Samui? Would it be the same as for Patts do you think?

I went two years ago also in September and had a great time, thinking of going again this year. Talking to some old fellas who lived there in Lamai they said they had never seen it so quiet so it was a buyers market and same as Patts really, beer a bit more expensive but cheaper than Phuket for sure. I stayed in Chaweng first then went to Lamai which I preferred, it has a very relaxed feel to the place and you will meet some great girls less hardened than Patts in my view.

The hotel looks good, big rooms and nice location. Enjoy yourself.

Yeah I was going to ask too what month you are there. Samui has had its share of horrific weather in the last few years, flooding requiring evacuation etc. Now that would be shitful. Good to get advice from guys that have been through each season.

I been there all through the horrific weather, ring-road around the island flooded. So much rainfall the red mud slides down off the mountains onto the beach roads. People walking around up to their knees in slosh. Some roads totally cut off. Not a fun time to be there, but that shit happens later in the year, usually Oct-Nov.

I been there all through the horrific weather, ring-road around the island flooded. So much rainfall the red mud slides down off the mountains onto the beach roads. People walking around up to their knees in slosh. Some roads totally cut off. Not a fun time to be there, but that shit happens later in the year, usually Oct-Nov.

Yeah I heard November was best avoided. Also warn the OP that there are more motorbike accidents in Samui than anywhere else in Thailand relative to visitors because when it does rain the roads get very slippery, plus people drive too fast which happens everywhere.

Yep lots of motorcycle accidents, at any time on Samui you're sure to see a few farang hobbling around on crutches with a leg in a cast, or an arm in a sling. Several reasons - primarily inexperienced riders with no experience with Thai traffic. Also people party and get pissed. In the old days most accidents were due to tourists/backpackers being pissed & stoned or maybe they just had a mushroom omelette and then went flying into the nearest coconut tree. But the traffic on the island's ringroad is pretty heavy these days - lots of Thai trucks belting around the island loaded with building supplies. So take care.

Thanks for the advice, i am hiring a scooter but only a 125 cc and i will be taking it easy. I really appreciate all the positive things you guys have been saying about Samui, sounds awesome. Gonna order a decent snorkel off amazon now, the ones i previously used in Thailand always steamed up. Never had an accident all the months i have driven round Patts so i 'm sure i will be fine. I don't drive if i've been drinking. Too lazy to worry :GoldenSmile1: Got a right buzz about this trip now.

Do people reckon 5000 baht is a big enough budget? that's my planned budget.

Thanks for the advice, i am hiring a scooter but only a 125 cc and i will be taking it easy. I really appreciate all the positive things you guys have been saying about Samui, sounds awesome. Gonna order a decent snorkel off amazon now, the ones i previously used in Thailand always steamed up. Never had an accident all the months i have driven round Patts so i 'm sure i will be fine. I don't drive if i've been drinking. Too lazy to worry :GoldenSmile1: Got a right buzz about this trip now.

Do people reckon 5000 baht is a big enough budget? that's my planned budget.

5000Bt per ??

because i am landing there tommorrow 14th june for first time to samui