IGNORED

Translation: "Kep thong"

Kkens

Hi, confusion here is caused by a probable typo in Twisted Mike's post. It was written as Hui, whereas Hiu is closer to the correct pronounciation, but it's very difficult to transliterate this correctly - maybe Hiiuw?

Hugh is the way that most Farangs pronounce it.

Similar example is the Thai word for Soy sauce. 99.99% of farangs that order food fried with soy sauce will order "Put see yoo" instead of "Put see-iiuw"

100% correct in the typo thing, I've since corrected it and should've checked my post better.

Additionally, each one of the transliterated examples I provided is hyper linked to the corresponding entry on thai-language.com where the proper pronunciations, as well as thai scripts, are provided. The links work for me so I assume they were linked for everyone else reading my posts that chose to click on them?

Apologies for any confusion.

Peace,

TM

I assume your at a restaurant when she says this. No one says gep tong (เก็บทอง) (tong = gold). Thais will say gep dtang (เก็บตังค์) (as in satang the old word for money still used with small coins). As previous posters mentioned, it means "check please."

You may also use/hear - gep ngen (เก็บเงิน) kit ngen (คิดเงิน) check bin (เช็คบิล) bin is Thai's way of saying bill.

Transliteration into the English alphabet is an awfully poor writing technique for Thai language, I wouldn't recommend it as you'll be saying the wrong words and confusing yourself way too often.

• 4 weeks later...

Guys, what is mean "kun teen" ? : )

Edited by UnDholly

Anyone know what this expression means? I had this girl saying it to me over and over, I tried to ask what it ment but she refused to tell me in english. As far as I know, me and her were alright.... Thanks for any input :)

MAYBE IM the only one who looked at this but why would she keep saying ti him "my stomach hurts and not try to explain herself?"

i think it may have been "kip tung" which i beleive is i miss u! i speak to a thai chick and she says kip tueng mak mak- i miss u very much!

imo

No Money, No Honey

Future Ex Pat

Transliteration into the English alphabet is an awfully poor writing technique for Thai language, I wouldn't recommend it as you'll be saying the wrong words and confusing yourself way too often.

While that's certainly, true as native English speakers we have little choice when trying to convey such thinks in print, though the tone indicators can be useful clarifiers for those who can understand them.

I can't fathom what method you'd present as a preferred alternative for people who can't read Thai script short of hearing it spoken, which is obviously they best way to know the differences in tone and proper pronunciation.

MAYBE IM the only one who looked at this but why would she keep saying ti him "my stomach hurts and not try to explain herself?"

i think it may have been "kip tung" which i beleive is i miss u! i speak to a thai chick and she says kip tueng mak mak- i miss u very much!

imo

Due to the context as the OP described it, I don't think so.

Also not quite correct, as miss you would be khit theung (คิดถึง) in Thai, which is what one would likely hear most often, or khit haawt (คิดฮอด) in Lao.

I can see where you got kip from khit, as it is rather close, and I too speak regularly to a Thai lady whom always tells me the same thing!

Also, as you put it, "why would she keep saying to him 'I miss you' and not try to explain herself?"

Peace,

TM

Anyone know what this expression means? I had this girl saying it to me over and over, I tried to ask what it ment but she refused to tell me in english. As far as I know, me and her were alright.... Thanks for any input :)

Mate if sounded like Jed Tong go with stomach pain :GoldenSmile1:

Guys, what is mean "kun teen" ? : )

Could be "Itchy feet"

Chasing girls can be expensive

But it's more expensive if you catch one

• 2 weeks later...

Could be "Itchy feet"

I'd go with that. Although I find dteen is more a colloquial way to refer to feet as is more used when refering to non-human feet such as animals